• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT6| Thank You for Love

Numb

I assume by "variety" you mean "diverse", rather than "variety shows" (of which there are many relating to K-Pop). You would probably want to check out the YouTube channels of the other big entertainment companies like SM - JYPE, YG, Cube. Also 1theK, which is a partner with many labels, and which is probably the most variety you'll find

Yep what i meant. Easier to find individual group channels by name alone with sometimes more than 1 channel even. Harder with random company names. Thx. subbed to them all.

llehuty

Thx for the welcome. Keeping up with the thread helped with the catching up with stuff. Now looking forward to the Red Velvet stuff after seeing all those teasers in here.

Although i wouldn't mind being pointed in the direction of groupds/songs in the same vein as roly-poly. Fast,upbeat,dance focused songs with lots of camera cuts.
I do love the slow,sensual and very hot ones aswell but are easier to find than the other one.

Some dance, upbeat, fast goodness.

80% of T-ara singles
9muses - News, Ticket, Wild, Hurt Locker, Figaro
Dal Shabet - Have don't have, BBB, Bling Bling
KARA - Step, Lupin, Pandora, Mr, Mamma Mia
SNSD - The Great Escape
Orange Caramel - Abing abing, Gangnam Avenue, Shangai Romance, Lipstick
Girl's Day - Expectation, Twinkle Twinkle
Crayon Pop - Bing Bing

Subbed to SMTOWN. What other the other big and good channels that have lots of groups and variety?
1theK, kt music and CJENMMusic are the biggest publishers in kpop. They cover most of the korean releases MV (kpop and other genres). Big companies have their own channels (linked by Pendulum), and there are also groups with their own youtube page, but you'll end up discovering the ones you are interested in fast.

Also, how did you end up with that iconic tag?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
A hint of Ariana, a hint of f(x), a hint of Crayon Pop

LOVE ETTTTTTTTTTTT

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Numb

Some dance, upbeat, fast goodness.

80% of T-ara singles
9muses - News, Ticket, Wild, Hurt Locker, Figaro
Dal Shabet - Have don't have, BBB, Bling Bling
KARA - Step, Lupin, Pandora, Mr, Mamma Mia
SNSD - The Great Escape
Orange Caramel - Abing abing, Gangnam Avenue, Shangai Romance, Lipstick
Girl's Day - Expectation, Twinkle Twinkle
Crayon Pop - Bing Bing

1theK, kt music and CJENMMusic are the biggest publishers in kpop. They cover most of the korean releases MV (kpop and other genres). Big companies have their own channels (linked by Pendulum), and there are also groups with their own youtube page, but you'll end up discovering the ones you are interested in fast.

Also, how did you end up with that iconic tag?
Excellent. I think i am set for now.

Tag wise did something real crazy with food. That's where the taste part is from.
The misheard ''nigga nigga nigga nigga''vid part was just there around the same time as that discussion was going on and was just funny lol.
Haven't even seen Unpretty rapstar before then.

Numb

Good, but not a fan of how there aren't individual vocies during most of the song. The rap is trash, as expected, but the MV is really good. Choreo also looks good.

This is also their first upbeat release that doesn't feel f(x)-lite.

On first listen, this is probably their worst release, but still decent.

Enjoyed it. If that could be considered one their worst then the rest must be golden.

roaSone

I really like the direction SM is taking with Red Velvet. At first it's always f***in' weird but in the end, it turns out to be a banger. Pretty hyped about the whole album now!

Dice

The magic is in the details. I don't know how to put it. The stitching on this song is so damn good. There is so much thrown in it could have been a hot mess but everything is in just the right place so the layers, flow, and decorative elements come together so well. The flow of syllables in with the rest and impact of their delivery is also just right.

I think ICC doesn't have enough holding it together so it feels disjointed until your familiarity with it is enough for your mind/anticipation to bridge the gaps, and it's also fairly dependent on sound quality with the distortion effects it has going on, but this one carried itself very well so I was right with it from the first listen. It has a lot of shifting around like ICC but has enough guides so you don't get lost and it's a wild ride to many places.

Best part is it feels like a remix but it's the original track. SM has been into rhythmic experimentation for a while but lately they seem to have been finding the right people to work with who really get what synergies pop had been finding in Korea and are on the frontier of where it can yet go. We need more like this, not letting kpop get stale trying to replicate the successes of 2010.

Numb

Oh i'm liking these KARA ladies. They got a special look that's hard not to notice in their vids. Also got booty songs and belly dancing songs too like step and damaged lady. Usually don't see belly buttons showing with those high reaching short shorts everyone is wearing that's all about the legs. Need more groups than focus on booty and clothes that hang around the hips atleast.

not letting kpop get stale trying to replicate the successes of 2010.
I am guessing the early 2010s were the high times. The essentials lists in OP has alot from that time and even the suggestions i got have alot of them too.

Dice

Oh i'm liking these KARA ladies.
I can recommend more by them, such as everything. Although I think a much overlooked song you won't hear about from others is Umbrella.

Need more groups than focus on booty and clothes that hang around the hips atleast.
Alas, those days are over. Korea has fallen into a renewed weird conservatism so they are against belly buttons and high-waist fashion is everything rn.

I am guessing the early 2010s were the high times. The essentials lists in OP has alot from that time and even the suggestions i got have alot of them too.
2009 was quality but more reminiscent of older forms, but 2010 is when a lot of the innovative magic came about. The next couple years after that had some good content but I feel 2010 was a very significant year and many have been trying to unlock it's secrets.

Numb

I can recommend more by them, such as everything. Although I think a much overlooked song you won't hear about from others is Umbrella.
I am just clicking next song as i am finish them. Already got to Umbrella.
Liking them more than i thought i would.
Alas, those days are over. Korea has fallen into a renewed weird conservatism so they are against belly buttons and high-waist fashion is everything rn.
These vids are already full of hotness. Going all the way doesn't seem like it would that big of a deal. High waist fashion is cool and all but there seems to be way too much of it.
Having both would have been awesome.That's the only thing missing.
2009 was quality but more reminiscent of older forms, but 2010 is when a lot of the innovative magic came about. The next couple years after that had some good content but I feel 2010 was a very significant year and many have been trying to unlock it's secrets.
I see. It's really hard to capitalize on a boom without knowing exactly how it happened.
Happens everywhere but it could be good if they are hyped up to better said times. Bad though if they are just trying to copy and paste stuff.

llehuty

Oh i'm liking these KARA ladies. They got a special look that's hard not to notice in their vids. Also got booty songs and belly dancing songs too like step and damaged lady. Usually don't see belly buttons showing with those high reaching short shorts everyone is wearing that's all about the legs. Need more groups than focus on booty and clothes that hang around the hips atleast.

itmuuoedx3jvm82qbd.gif

Flawless taste.

Here some of their japanese releases, which are harder to find.
Go Go summer
Summer&#9734;gic
Electric boy

Summergic is so damn good. I could easily see myself placing it now on top 5 Kara songs.

Dice

Just starting it now. Dumb Dumb already benefiting greatly from proper sound quality over youtube shit.

These vids are already full of hotness. Going all the way doesn't seem like it would that big of a deal. High waist fashion is cool and all but there seems to be way too much of it.
Having both would have been awesome.That's the only thing missing.
Just be thankful you missed the "butt drapes" era. It was ridiculous.

Happens everywhere but it could be good if they are hyped up to better said times. Bad though if they are just trying to copy and paste stuff.
It's one of the reasons we're always keeping up with new groups from small labels. You never know who is going to be innovating and who is going to be rehashing, but established groups do have the added temptation to rest on their laurels.

Numb

itmuuoedx3jvm82qbd.gif

Flawless taste.

Here some of their japanese releases, which are harder to find.
Go Go summer
Summer&#9734;gic
Electric boy

Summergic is so damn good. I could easily see myself placing it now on top 5 Kara songs.
Oh that's good.
Showed some of these to my bro who only listens to gangsta rap and was surprised he didn't justt like em but loved them.

Just be thankful you missed the "butt drapes" era. It was ridiculous.

It's one of the reasons we're always keeping up with new groups from small labels. You never know who is going to be innovating and who is going to be rehashing, but established groups do have the added temptation to rest on their laurels.
Now i need to see what these ''butt drapes'' are. It can only end in an awesome way.

The hungry new kids on the block want some blood.

Dice

Alright darlings for the third time now we have a new album of the year. This year has really been going well, hasn't it?

Best album since Pink Tape, and in fact better than Pink Tape. Best album since Kara's Revolution. Fun, relevant, full of surprises to the very end, full, yet restrained enough to not get tiresome as Odd/MttM did a bit. It's a masterpiece perhaps well to be considered the refined product of much experimentation SM has been doing with f(x), SHINee, and TVXQ primarily, yet with key elements of the best they found for Soshi, Suju and Exo as well. It seems SM has identified the culmination of all their searches of the last 5 years and invested the distilled magic of it all into Red Velvet. Red Velvet is the new era. If this is the new SM, and I do think it reflects the core of every bit of quality in their signature, they deserve to remain on top. This is an album that justifies one of the biggest labels in kpop.

Big words, but you can hold me to them. I am utterly satisfied with every moment of this album and the selection and arrangement they chose for it's final form.

llehuty

I posted this exactly one month ago:
[VIVIDIVA] 150705 DNDF &#48708;&#48708;&#46356;&#48148; &#52629;&#54616;&#47924;&#45824; intro + &#49440;&#49380;&#51064;
Can this group have already a proper debut, MV or something. I need some E-Girls realness in k-pop.

Well, they are debuting next week

VIVIDIVA &#48708;&#48708;&#46356;&#48148;_ Service_Teaser 1

Looks like two members have been kicked out recently and they scrapped the song they have been performing for a while. I hope they still stick to the korean version of E-girls concept.

While I really like Dumb Dumb, I think it's their weakest single, slightly behind Be Natural. I definitely agree that the rap sections are the worst, and there's too many of them. First time it's not bad, but the 2nd rap part in particular is terrible, with all the English gibberish. Interestingly the section in between the 2nd and 3rd rap is the best. The part that starts around 2:25, starting with Yeri, followed by Irene, then Joy before climaxing with Seulgi and Wendy. Wish more of the song was like that. All this being said, the song will probably grow on me as I listen to it more. Haven't checked out the album yet.

The music video is all kinds of amazing, one of the best of the year. Not a single boring moment and the girls look amazing, unsurprisingly. I strongly suspect the music video was directed by the same guy that did Married to the Music.

Pendulum

Alright darlings for the third time now we have a new album of the year. This year has really been going well, hasn't it?
It's behind Primary's album for me, but wow, what an album this is. Red Dress, Huff n Puff, Campfire, Timeslip. So good.

The music video is all kinds of amazing, one of the best of the year. Not a single boring moment and the girls look amazing, unsurprisingly. I strongly suspect the music video was directed by the same guy that did Married to the Music.
I don't believe so. Here's his Instagram.

I'm really looking forward to the "Dumb Dumb" stages for the choreo.

Congrats to them on breaking IU's stranglehold on Melon.

broz0rs

ICC is in my top three favorite kpop tracks this year and I think I'm not into Dumb Dumb at all. The chorus is nowhere near as catchy as in their other singles, and the MV is just pointlessly bad imho. Looking forward to seeing the full choreography in music shows.

roaSone

Dang! SM is still having it. Pink Tape, Red, Odd, Kiss My Lips and now The Red. I'm kinda mad they "messed up" with Soshi though... But it's okay I guess, you can't be too perfect right ?

I still can't pick what my favorite song is so far from The Red, that diversity and quality on all tracks is quite remarkable!

luso

Yes, video is very interesting; the song, not so much.

Edit; But the album, overall, is very consistent sound-wise and have some nice songs.

Dice

It's behind Primary's album for me
That is a very high quality album, but it's quality in a bunch of familiar things to me, and after a minute into each song when you know what they're about, they don't do anything to surprise you. It's great for chilling out, but lacks some special touches to age as a standout in my memory. Granted, some attempts at surprises can just be gimmicky hooks that that tire after you've heard them a few times, but if it's done in a proper way you can have dramatic shifts that age in an iconic fashion.

A good example of this is A Day in the Life, not that I'm putting RV with that, but just that things that start as surprises can be your very distinguishing character after familiarity has set in and it can be good for many years later. Like, did you really expect the chorus on Red Dress to be like that? But it doesn't seem like a gimmick to wear thin. It's just the structure of the song chose unconventional paths, but kept a mind for how it would remain cohesive through the whole experience along with that decision.

Revolution had similar surprises, but less in the way of shifts and more in terms of traditional/electronic genre and instrumentation blending using ingenious arrangements. The Red does play with beats a lot more in keeping with the times, but in terms of rhythmic complexity with every instrument in view Revolution is no less dynamic and transportive.

Yep.
No surprise someone with such refined tastes such as him would ofcourse be the big dog.
My man.
He writes, composes, choreographs, designs, performs, and manages. He's definitely very talented and passionate about what he does and one of the greats despite whatever measure people poke fun at him for his eccentric nature or management decisions.

Edit: Eunji pls

Numb

He writes, composes, choreographs, designs, performs, and manages. He's definitely very talented and passionate about what he does and one of the greats despite whatever measure people poke fun at him for his eccentric nature or management decisions.

Edit: Eunji pls

Gotta respect someone who does all that. Takes real talent and patience. Love eccentric people so it's alright.

Been listening all day and just got through 2 of the 7 main channels people linked.
Been good tho. Found this Sunmi group with a real nice voice.

Pendulum

Found this Sunmi group with a real nice voice.

Sunmi is one member of the Wonder Girls, one of the legendary K-Pop acts. They made a comeback this year with one of the best albums of the year. Check it out, it's called "Reboot" and the single is "I Feel You". But then you must go and check out their older stuff from a few years back. They wrote chapters in the "K-Pop Girl Group" book.

Sunmi put out a fantastic mini album ("Full Moon", singles "24 Hours" and "Full Moon") in 2013/2014. Yeeun, another Wonder Girl, also put out a stellar mini album ("Me?", single "Ain't Nobody") under the name of "Ha:tfelt". Don't miss them.

llehuty

Been listening all day and just got through 2 of the 7 main channels people linked.
Been good tho. Found this Sunmi group with a real nice voice.
lol, she is a soloist (she is currently part of the Wonder Girls).

And she is great. The Full Moon mini album was one of the best releases of last year.

Numb

lol, she is a soloist (she is currently part of the Wonder Girls).

And she is great. The Full Moon mini album was one of the best releases of last year.

That and Frozen in time i really liked.
Full moon vid had an entire crew so i thought they were a group since that's where i heard sunmi first. srry lol.
Vid was dark compared to all the cartoon lvl bright colors i've been seeing all day so it caught my eye. The voice is what stands out to me the most i noticed.
Liked 24 less than those other 2 but it was still great.

Here's my favorite K-Pop artists I like based on a month of listening to K POP. I only listen to the female groups

- Crayon Pop
- T-ara
- EXID
- Orange Caramel and After School
- Rainbow

Numb

Here's my favorite K-Pop artists I like based on a month of listening to K POP. I only listen to the female groups

- Crayon Pop
- T-ara
- EXID
- Orange Caramel and After School
- Rainbow

Same here with the female thing. Don't know why i don't go for the guys. Never liked boy bands so that must be it.

Like the others. Rainbow i haven't seen yet.
Newer than you if speaking beyond a casual random level.

Top Bottom