• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT6| Thank You for Love

Pendulum

tumblr_nud2esMPfe1tqs827o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nud35zCIKy1tqs827o1_1280.jpg

---

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Pendulum butted in between us!

Joy is making me want to change my avatar already.

ElDqv1c.gif

Not-stealth edit:
Don't know why i don't go for the guys.
They can get a fanbase with shit songs, so they often do. Even top tier groups like Shinee put out total stinkers 1/3 of the time. Girl groups basically have to attain perfection to get noticed.

Pendulum

Jiyeon can always butt in.

Speaking of avatars, people talking about Sunmi the day I change my avatar from her. :/
no regrets about Seulgi really tho

Numb

Pendulum butted in between us!

Joy is making me want to change my avatar already.

ElDqv1c.gif

Not-stealth edit:
They can get a fanbase with shit songs, so they often do. Even top tier groups like Shinee put out total stinkers 1/3 of the time. Girl groups basically have to attain perfection to get noticed.
You would think that it would be the other way. The easy fanbases and recognition i mean for the girls.
They guys were not at all on my mind even if they were good when i started this tho. Mostly find them on accident with the thumbnails having girls confusing me. Even with my beloved butt song from JYP was like this.

Speaking of avatars and butts...
And i thought roly-poly would be my first k-pop avi

JKTrix

Speaking of avatars and butts...
...how did you get that tag?

I find that I genuinely like boy band songs more often than girl groups, but I'm generally more interested in girl groups (for probably obvious reasons). Keep an ear out!

Numb

Try to find a roly-poly gif and this show up
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/15575/15575-h/images/pic63.gif
what the hell is going on? Is that another rat they are trying to hide after the murder?
...how did you get that tag?
Made something crazy with food and that vid was in circulation as part of the discussion at the time.

Interest in boy bands is almost less than 10%. Can't help that it's not what i'm looking for most of the time.

Numb

Dahye is saving kpop, but who saves Dahye?

There is some really good boy band releases, but yeah, the no eye-candy factor is strong at the beginning.

Not being a native speaker help in this case.
Not trying to look and see the moves but instead focus more on what they are saying in the subs. If there are ones with actual good lyrics i am more than down for.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
lmao how did she even make that sound

hyeyeon gotta be giving her shit for weeks over that one

Pendulum

I was
shocked
when you removed Jiyeon as your avatar Pend.
I prefer the term "rested". She still reigns, and she'll be back.

Try to find a roly-poly gif and this show up
what the hell is going on? Is that another rat they are trying to hide after the murder?
Image isn't showing.

Meanwhile Hyeyeon's all like
tumblr_m1df3ktPk31qzc7nx.gif

Edit: Dammit Dice
Edit 2: How is it no one has suggested BESTie to Numb?

Numb

I prefer the term "rested". She still reigns, and she'll be back.

Image isn't showing.

Meanwhile Hyeyeon's all like
tumblr_m1df3ktPk31qzc7nx.gif

Edit: Dammit Dice
Edit 2: How is it no one has suggested BESTie to Numb?
Just the link now. Hope it works. It's just dumb.

Also don't hesitate to suggest things guys.
I'm wide open.
Checking BESTie out.

Pendulum

Just the link now. Hope it works. It's just dumb.
Still not working for me. You able to throw it into Imgur or something?

2 more girl groups I would highly recommend: EXID (though you might have come across them based upon last page) and Brown Eyed Girls. With regard to EXID, since you mentioned upbeat dance songs, do check "I Feel Good".

Numb

Still not working for me. You able to throw it into Imgur or something?

2 more girl groups I would highly recommend: EXID (though you might have come across them based upon last page) and Brown Eyed Girls. With regard to EXID, since you mentioned upbeat dance songs, do check "I Feel Good".

VsZx9.jpg

Hope you can see now.
It was dumb anyway.

Yep i have checked both of them out before.
Mentioned them along with BoA,T-ARA, and GG in the last page when someone asked me which groups i have listened to.
Now it's way more thanks to you guys. Way way more. Almost alittle bit too much K-pop in a 24hr period.

Ym1r

just got back from first day of classes missed red velvet, listened to some of them during the small break I got, listening to the rest. pls don't be bad.

also my korean language teacher is super pretty.

Ym1r

That's good. Think of asking the teach out? In the right conditions i mean.

I mean, like 100% if the conditions are right but like 99.9% chance it probably won't happen. I have a gf already anyway. I'm sure she has somebody too, shes like 28.

I'll just admire her while she teaches me.

JKTrix

Kim Seyeon is a slam dunk fan... man~ she moved up on my list of awesome people.
Usually it's Kuroko.
Mad props
Female likes shonen sports manga, news at 11

When I find out a kpop girl likes Gundam that shoots her up my list
Have some more JYP
Itaewon freedom
\o/
Edit:
Have some history: OT3 (which is actually OT4 but don't worry 'bout it) also references JYP in the title because he has a 'trademark' of whispering his name on the songs he produces. He is a character.

I don't think that see-through pants image was meant to discourage you from giving him props.

Numb

I mean, like 100% if the conditions are right but like 99.9% chance it probably won't happen. I have a gf already anyway. I'm sure she has somebody too, shes like 28.

I'll just admire her while she teaches me.
Indeed.
Was thinking you were both free.
original.gif

For the Irene jobbers

Yeah, love finding out cool Korean celebs are fans of good anime and what not. Lee Dong Wok became my favorite male actor after I saw the massive Gundam collection in his house lol.
Celebs having nerdy stuff in common with you is pretty cool especially if you follow their field or are a fan already.
Barely follow wrestling but have see alot of New Days gaming stuff on youtube.
Female likes shonen sports manga, news at 11

When I find out a kpop girl likes Gundam that shoots her up my list
Have some more JYP
Itaewon freedom
\o/
Edit:
Have some history: OT3 (which is actually OT4 but don't worry 'bout it) also references JYP in the title because he has a 'trademark' of whispering his name on the songs he produces. He is a character.

I don't think that see-through pants image was meant to discourage you from giving him props.
Me it's if any celeb i follow at all likes fighting games to the smallest degree.
Instantly on my radar.

Thx.
I like eccentric people so it didn't have any negative impact on me. I just needed to be prepared for such madness.

Numb

Something else that tickles me in kpop as a 'Person of Colour' is when African or reggae influences creep into girl group songs. Seen you post in the Black Culture thread, you might be amused by some of these too:

Brave Girls - Easily

2NE1 - Falling in Love

Red Velvet - Happiness (a little more subtle than the others)

Primary ft. Choa (AOA) - Don't Be Shy
Thank you good sir.
Love it when the weird genres creep in unexpected. The wilder and out of tune the better or atleast funny. 20 secs in and i'm laughing already.

Pendulum

f(x) comeback postponed to October. SM learning not to cannibalize itself
until next time

---

Sunye is pregnant with her second child. Congratulations :)

Numb

Top 5 songs after a day of hardcore non-casual listening:

1. T-ARA- Roly-poly ( ofcourse)
2. Sunmi- Frozen in time/Full moon (consider a good combo)
3. JYT- Who's your mama (You know why)
4. KARA- MR
5. Crayon Pop - Bing Bing

These jump at me quick. Don't know how much they are loved but i like em. Thx for the help everyone. Tiring but fruitful.

@ I see Ym. Will check em out.

feist_

Banned
GOAT Rapper 'Rene up there with the likes of Miryo and Yoon Mi Rae.

The "Dumb Dumb" video is superb; a good song with great visuals. Upon first listen, The Red may eventually grow to be a genuine f(x)-level album. Feels like it could grow on me enough to reach their SM predecessor's peaks.

"Huff n Puff" is a stand out, though I feel as if it needed to either go full on Hip-Hop, or full on Reggae Dancehall. As is, it has a cool blend of the two, leaning more towards Hip-Hop but has a distinct hint of the Carribean/South East Asia (just like ("Happiness").

Once the chorus kicks in, "Red Dress" is a winner. "Campfire" is okay, not their best "velvet" concept song (that still goes to "Automatic"). The overly repetitive "Oh Boy" refrain is easily my least favorite part of the song. The rest of that track is good, though. A better example of how to do that type of ad nauseam hook can be found on their own lead single from this album.

"Lady's Room" calls to mind a flat and uncreative offshoot of Shinee's superior "Your Number." Wendy and Seulgi killing it on the "Time Slip" smooth vocals. Really should dislike the song for being so obvious and formulaic, but it kinda works. Joy on "Don't U Wait No More" and "Day 1," yes. More Joy, please (and cool 1950s-1960s swinging lounge music vibe on "Day 1"). Joy-Seulgi-Wendy are as good as a vocal trinity, as Joy-Seulgi-Irene are an everything else trinity.

The 1980s electro pop synths strewn about the album are not nearly as good as Wonder Girls' Reboot, but I still dig "Cool World," despite it feeling more sterile than Yeeun's efforts. Again, sterile, not stale. Perhaps clinical would be a better descriptor.

Younha too OP
Truth.

Not my fave, but I'll take any opportunity to post Sunmi "Frozen In Time." So good.

I was just watching this Korean drama, the guy really hated this girl and kept calling her ugly, long neck, and fake.

He actually liked her.

They fell in love.
Worst Ym1r.

Notice I actually included a photo of her in that post.

Ym1r

4. KARA- MR

These jump at me quick. Don't know how much they are loved but i like em. Thx for the help everyone. Tiring but fruitful.

icg isn't "really" related to Kpop though, I just post her cause I like her and theres a handful of people that like her too.

she sings some kpop badly but I think its adorable.

Worst Ym1r.
Notice I actually included a photo of her in that post.

I saw it.

Numb

icg isn't "really" related to Kpop though, I just post her cause I like her and theres a handful of people that like her too.

she sings some kpop badly but I think its adorable.

Don't see nothing bad about cute although i ain't letting anyone catch me watching cute girls eating apples for a minute. Might think i'm into weird stuff.

feist_

Banned
On second listen (though I'm distracted from juggling several other things while doing so), "Lady's Room" is not a good song.

4. KARA- MR

Did we just become best friends?

"Frozen In Time" is greatness, and I've spent years spreading the gospel on how "Full Moon" is actually a better Sunmi song than "24 Hours."

"Bing Bing" remains Crayon Pop's best song 'til this day. Like Bestie with "Love Options," they released their relative "Gee/Genie" type song very early in their careers. Granted, either group can rise to those levels again, so we'll see.

Numb

On second listen (though I'm distracted from juggling several other things while doing so), "Lady's Room" is not a good song.

Did we just become best friends?

"Frozen In Time" is greatness, and I've spent years spreading the gospel on how "Full Moon" is actually a better Sunmi song than "24 Hours."

"Bing Bing" remains Crayon Pop's best song 'til this day. Like Bestie with "Love Options," they released their relative "Gee/Genie" type song very early in their careers. Granted, either group can rise to those levels again, so we'll see.
AI1yWOA.gif

On a serious note i do like 24 but not as much as Full moon.
Bing bing is just awesome and the dancing is also really very awesome.

Broank

Man I'm surprised how much effort SM puts into Red Velvet's music videos. A lot more going on than SNSD or f(x) ever really had. Dumb Dumb doesn't really grab me like Happiness did but it seems like one that could grow on me.

Album seems pretty good so far. Loving Huff n Puff. Red Dress I thought was gonna break into SNSD's showgirls for a second and Time Slip into Fancy. lol

Dumb Dumb is great... though I'm still able to get some traces of f(x) in it.

Also pardon the ignorance as I haven't been following RV... Irene is the one with the red sweater and glasses right?

I'm still #TeamWendy for the moment, but that look was killer. I might have to jump ship if that keeps up haha.

Cool world is the second coming of Airplane, so damn good.

This on the other hand... hell yes.

And I don't think you can really compare Cool World to WG though coz Reboot is essentially an 80's album released today, Cool World on the other hand is a modern track with 80's influence in it.

I've listened to the album but I've been busy so I haven't had time to really sit down to take it all in. The hype levels are through the roof so hopefully y'all are right lol.

JKTrix

Also pardon the ignorance as I haven't been following RV... Irene is the one with the red sweater and glasses right?

I'm still #TeamWendy for the moment, but that look was killer. I might have to jump ship if that keeps up haha.
That look + the MJ thrusting almost saved that part of the song for me. Almost.
http://popgasa.com/2015/09/08/red-velvet-dumb-dumb/ said:
You need to “Beat It”
That boy Michael Jackson ”Bad”
I’m not your “Billie Jean”
Don’t you “Leave Me Alone”
But you’re so ambiguous, I want “Black Or White”
I can’t give up on you, my “Man In The Mirror”
“Why You Wanna Trip On Me”
You’re too harsh
Boy, you make me “Scream”
Why am I like this?
Well, your “Love really Never Felt So Good”
It’s so electrifying that it’s like watching the “Thriller”
#irenetho

feist_

Banned
Finished that distracted second listen of The Red and, if anything, it lacks the consistent track-to-track quality of f(x).

If it has f(x)-level potential it would be somewhere between Red Light and Pink Tape. Mind, I've always thought Electric Shock EP was superior to Pink Tape LP, so that would be higher in my ranking. As always, "Airplane" remains top tier f(x).

On a serious note i do like 24 but not as much as Full moon.
Bing bing is just awesome and the dancing is also really very awesome.
Same. I love "24 Hours," but prefer "Full Moon," particularly because it seems better suited to Sunmi. I still say "24 Hours" would have been an equally amazing Miss A song, and while I can see Miss A's Min doing a solid version of "Full Moon" (better than anyone else in her group), I doubt it would have the feel Sunmi brings across.

As for Bing Bing dancing, all I had to do back in the day was post the Bing Bing dance practice video (like I did here with a now perma-banned member), and people had no choice but to fall in love with the group.

Incidentally, that post also has one of the many times I've brought up K-Pop's obvious, and sometimes wholesale photocopied, influences. Western Hip-Hop and R&B are at the top of the list, but also Eurobeat, British/Scandinavian folk and pop, among others.

Obviously, nearly nothing exists in a vacuum any more, and even creators of the "source" material often have a long list of uncredited citations themselves. Still, there are times when you have to ignore K-Pop/Rock/Hip-Hop's penchant for not acknowledging where their same influences originate from.

Top Bottom