• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT6| Thank You for Love

llehuty

It's a simple song but it's cute and fun and so is the film clip. Plus Sooyoung's fashion and hair game is on point.

On another note, SNSD's members must be mid 20s on their way to 30 by now surely? How long do Korean pop bands last before the production companies go BZZT TOO OLD AND OUTDATED GOODBYE

Shinhwa is at 36-34 and still kicking butt

Also, I feel like you have been missing out on Jisook action:
[Girl's Wiki] K-pop Idol Rainbow's Sexy X-mas
Jisook Fancam @Mnet MCOUNTDOWN_150226
Black Swan RAINBOW Ji Sook Fancam Mnet MCOUNTDOWN 150305

Pendulum

I'm pretty sure SNSD got a chance to use Dumb Dumb for their own release but they're idiots and passed it off to Red Velvet.

Why? Are you assuming that any possible title track coming through SM's pipes get put in front of SNSD for "dibs"? That doesn't happen.

Edit:
Red Velvet have a sound, Shinee to some extent have a sound, and their albums are listenable.
Interesting to note that the producers behind RV's "Dumb Dumb" (and "Campfire"/"Red Dress"/"Oh Boy") are the same ones behind Shinee's "View" and "Married to the Music".

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Huh, interesting. Had SNSD pegged for nearing 30, wow. And figured pop bands over there were a case of targeting younger demographics with young artists, moving them in and out.

Also since when did Hyuna have cans?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Huh, interesting. Had SNSD pegged for nearing 30, wow. And figured pop bands over there were a case of targeting younger demographics with young artists, moving them in and out.
Once you're big enough, you don't have to go out if you don't want to.

Also since when did Hyuna have cans?
It's a debatable mystery. Some say she always has, some say she faked it (double bras and padding and such) and now she's not (boob job), some say she's still faking it but more expertly (some pics make some other promos seem illusory). I don't really care any which way. Hyuna's gonna Hyuna, and that's pretty cool.

Niks

What really pisses me off is that SM isn't even trying with them, with all their other acts getting better material (even Suju). I'm starting to think that this has more to do with SNSD being more involved in the releases, instead of leaving everything to the SM masterminds, that have being on point with Shinee and Red Velvet.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they were asked in an interview about the choosing songs process for the new album, and they answered SM didn't allow many of the songs the members suggested.

For what is worth, Taeyeon said she didn't liked lion heart either.

Loci

Went to the Seogang University Festival today.
Got to see Mamamoo and Hyukoh performing live.

Mamamoo was p.great. I caught 4 songs, they had really good energy on stage and everyone had a lot of fun. The crowd like them a lot. Hwasa had the strongest stage presence and got the loudest cheers.

Hyukoh's performance was limited by the supoptimal setup of the soundsystem. There was some feedback going on, drums were too loud and just a little noise overall. Got better towards the end tho.
The crowd loves him. He pulls his I'm-actually-to-shy-to-stand-onstage tour off really well and people (girls) go crazy when he cracks a little smile when they are singing his lyrics. He sounded great tho. Kid definitely has talent.
Had a group of little fangirls next to me during Wing Wing, I'm deaf now I think

Personally I liked Mamamoo's stage energy a lot more.

Tomorrow 10cm
Friday Exid
gonna be fun

luso

Wasn't one of the reasons why it flopped is coz it came out around the same time as 2NE1's Crush?

I remember SM even had bullshit reasons as to why the MV looks like a low budget college project... something about losing their files or whatever lol.

This.

I'm pretty sure SNSD got a chance to use Dumb Dumb for their own release but they're idiots and passed it off to Red Velvet.

Sure, Dumb Dumb is definitely an f(x)/RV track than a SNSD track, but if they're smart they would've realized the magic behind this track, but they're not and they went to boring, no effort tracks like Party and LH.

Dumb Dumb as a SNSD track could've been IGAB 2.0 and that would've been fncking amazing and I'd be back as a fan. I'm glad they're dumb though, RV deserves more love than SNSD does these days.

Good conspiracy theories.

Good conspiracy theories.

Do I have to bring up the D word again?

Soompi:

A representative of SM Entertainment told Osen News, “Some of the data was damaged. We are in the process of recovering. We are discussing the comeback schedule before we can make a decision.”

Damaged data? Right... how can a multi-million dollar company not have backups?

Also... y'all know of Michael Jackson's Human Nature right? Have y'all heard this?

That's the band Toto(who sung Africa, and my fave I'll Be Over You, among other things) singing the demo version of MJ's Human Nature. Steve Porcaro of Toto, wrote the song for his kid but MJ's producer, Quincy Jones heard it by accident, fell in love with it and basically demanded Porcaro to hand it over to MJ.

We even just had this recent example of Primary accidentally sending Lim Kim's producer Goldfinger...

The music industry in any country is pretty tight-knit, if you don't think they know what the other is working on, withholding and releasing songs for others, then I'd say y'all need to read up on how the industry works. I don't claim to know it all, but I do know for a fact that existing music is shared or withheld from another... and they're shared especially if they're in the same management company.

Pendulum

jongkookie, I don't understand what you're trying to get at there. No one is denying that songs are shopped around, taken and given. SM is the best example of this in K-Pop today, what with the demos of some of their singles found easily on YouTube. This is not the same as saying, or proof of, "Dumb Dumb" being given to SNSD first.

Edit: There are a number of producers/musicians that have multiple credits all over "The Red" - 3 of them that worked on "Dumb Dumb" have another 2-3 tracks on the album. I'd find it highly odd if all these songs were shopped in front of SNSD rather than, I don't know, the producers/musicians being asked to submit or create songs for the Red Velvet album.

jongkookie, I don't understand what you're trying to get at there. No one is denying that songs are shopped around, taken and given. SM is the best example of this in K-Pop today, what with the demos of some of their singles found easily on YouTube. This is not the same as saying, or proof of, "Dumb Dumb" being given to SNSD first.

Edit: There are a number of producers/musicians that have multiple credits all over "The Red" - 3 of them that worked on "Dumb Dumb" have another 2-3 tracks on the album. I'd find it highly odd if all these songs were shopped in front of SNSD rather than, I don't know, the producers/musicians being asked to submit or create songs for the Red Velvet album.

I'm not saying they were given Dumb Dumb before RV... what I'm saying is, SNSD most likely had the chance to listen to it first then passed on it, not realizing how good it is. At worst, and I've heard stories of this happening in the west, they gather all their artists in one room, play the demo and it's a fight to whoever gets the song.

I think it's more dumb to assume that Dumb Dumb was locked up in a computer where only RV and their production team had access to it. That's not how any of this works at all.

Pendulum

I'm not saying they were given Dumb Dumb before RV...
Ok...

what I'm saying is, SNSD most likely had the chance to listen to it first then passed on it, not realizing how good it is.
That's the same thing!

I think it's more dumb to assume that Dumb Dumb was locked up in a computer where only RV and their production team had access to it. That's not how any of this works at all.
I think it's more dumb to assume that a senior group gets to listen to any potential track that comes through an agency's doors, especially if some of those tracks don't mesh with the group's style or what the management team wants to hear from the group. I'm not sure why you're singling out "Dumb Dumb", but by the same logic we might as well say SNSD got to have first dibs on "Electric Shock" and Super Junior was considering "Wolf".

luso

Do I have to bring up the D word again?

Soompi:

Damaged data? Right... how can a multi-million dollar company not have backups?

That's why it's a good conspiracy theory. You have the official SM statement and the actual MV, but you obtain the opposite conclusion with fewer to none proofs. There's no way I or anyone, not even Lee Sooman, can refute that theory!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's a debatable mystery. Some say she always has, some say she faked it (double bras and padding and such) and now she's not (boob job), some say she's still faking it but more expertly (some pics make some other promos seem illusory). I don't really care any which way. Hyuna's gonna Hyuna, and that's pretty cool.

This requires further investigation.

neoism

Wait what? It's a catchy, cute song with a fun beat. What's not to like? Other than the absence of Jessica looking shitty?

130115-TaeNy-ShimShimTaPa-Preview-girls-generation-snsd-33324049-250-141.gif

EatChildren

I forgive Tae for not liking Lion Heart so she's still numero uno.

Does Yuri have a personality?

Dice

Sonamoo : Nahyun - Round n Round
Sonamoo : Sumin - Cushion

MBC in touch with the "verticam" trend. When will your fav networks? I love how adorably over the top Nahyun does her cute expressions. She fires them off to target cameras like a cannon.

Jessica doesn't even slam into the floor this time

why would you not?

For Ym1r:

Peru

Some golden stuff over at onehallyu

On 1807 when Napoleon and Czar Alexandr I met at Tilsit (East Prussia, now part of Russia), virtually all of Europe was under Napoleon's thumb.

He cntrolled most of Central Europe, and most of the rest save England were his allies at least nominally. Even the USA was leaning towards him.

Yet within 8 years the ancien regime returned in triumph, and set back everything to 1788, before the revolution, because Napoleon had no means to destroy the island country.

-----

On December 2010, KPop had at least 25 major acts with at least 120 members. All the soloists remaining were now no longer able to do much against the onslaught of boy and girl groups, which were busy conquering the world.

There was only one soloist of note, Lee Jieun, who was just a junior in a high school. It seemed the genre of soloist and the genre of vocalist had passed into the dustbin of history.

Fast forward 4 years, and IU, the only soloist of note on Dec 2010, was voted as the most popular singer of Korea by Gallup, which also featured 3 other older soloists and only 5 groups in the top 10.

IU, who already took No.1 song on 2011, took No.1 song title as well, with a song written by Kim Changwan on....

That's right. IU made a 1984 song the most popular number on the year 2014.

It is even more unfortunate that IU's style of music is not something palatable to overseas fans, the foundation of KPop around the world.

IU follows a simple, easy-to-listen acoustic stylle of music, something which could easily be performed by a single acoustic guitar.

IU also put a self-composed song, Friday, to the top of the chart. Friday is no dance number ; it can be played by anyone who can play guitar, and is never really going to be popular around the world.

But that has set a bad example to idols who are releasing more and more acoustic style of songs, which fit the Korean digital market but do not sell to the foreigners, who have their own singers who can do such kind of music.

KPop became popular around the world because it offered something the other countries did not do, but the Koreans chose to revert back to the style of music popular on late 1970s and early 1980s.

Thanks to IU, the C'est si bon people (a bunch of folk singers who were popular from 1970 to 1975, when all of them were jailed by the orders of President Park Chung Hee, whose daughter is the current Korean President Park Geun Hye) became relevant again. They are now in their late 60s and 70s but they frequently holding shows of their own with guitars, catered to older Koreans but not to foreigners who do not care about that kind of music.

IU made the acoustic style the mainstream of Korean pop music, and drove the foreign fans away from KPop.

And that kind of music influenced people like Sunmi, Jung Eunji, and even Amber (who is not Korean) to some degree! And as IU continues to linger at the top, such kind of useless-for-foreigners music will be only more prevalent, which will not bide well to KPop fans around the world.

Acoustic style of music is easy to perform and easy on Korean ears. Also that kind of songs do not require hard dance practices.

But they will never win any sizable fans out of Korea where the money is.

IU set back KPop by at least 30 years, and the damage caused by her to KPop is unlikely to be repaired...

It cannot be denied that IU was more hell-bent on destroying KPop than the aforementioned Ran was insistent on catching Jack. IU, a very ambitious and greedy person, would stop at nothing, even though she certainly knew her actions were going to crush KPop.

I understand that to truly liberate KPop so it could rise again, the evil giant Loen/Melon has to break. No entity has done more harm to KPop than Loen. Virtually everything Melon/Loen does harms KPop.

Still, if Kpop could be freed from the yoke of IU, those who emulate her will leave and KPop could rise again.

I still do not understand why the various KPop stars did their best to crush IU once for all after Anchovy. Perhaps they feared the wrath of Melon; but Samsung, no friend of Melon, has Genie service and there are others, so if the big companies told their fans to shun Melon and go to another company, Melon's destructive power would have been reduced.

Unless KPop can break IU's yoke, KPop cannot rise again.

Dice

Acoustic style of music is easy to perform and easy on Korean ears. Also that kind of songs do not require hard dance practices.

But they will never win any sizable fans out of Korea where the money is.
It's not IU's fault the other acoustic acts are so boring. Maybe they also should have learned from her how to not suck.

llehuty

Dead at the IU text. Random Napoleon intro already got me, but lol at shitting on her because she is "killing k-pop".

Are Eunhyuk fans still salty or what?

No No Eul

Yet within 8 years the ancien regime returned in triumph, and set back everything to 1788, before the revolution, because Napoleon had no means to destroy the island country.

So... IU's going to be captured by some foreign power and exiled to an island in the middle of the ocean where she'll live out the rest of her days in obscurity before dying under mysterious circumstances?

RIP IU :/

Edit: Also, Napoleon? More like NapoLoen AMIRITE?

I'm so sorry.

Yes. See the double episode of SNSD on Weekly Idol for proof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nmPXL6aWr0

Yeah, Yuri was great on that show. Kinda out of control during the random dance segment, in the best possible way.

Top Bottom