• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT6| Thank You for Love

Pendulum

Now I have to research Exo for trivia...

Make sure you double check how many members there are in Exo before the quiz starts.

Yeri fighting. lol @ Joy pointing her out to the camera. edit: Just noticed that Jiyeon pats Yeri on the back

Red Velvet "Dumb Dumb" live

---

AOA – Ace of Angels (Teaser②)
2nd Japanese teaser

---

제시 쎈언니 (Jessi SSENUNNI) MV

---

VIVIDIVA 비비디바_MV 뮤직비디오 '서비스(Service)'

Pendulum

Arson-Ice-cream-cake-How-can-something-so-wrong-feel-so-right-575x435.png

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
YG on such a long boring-as-fuck streak, but if trying to be edgy makes Dr Pepper I can see why.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Lion Heart is a pretty cute song yo

vanty

Victoriaaaaaaaaaaaa oh my
Does anyone know if Victoria does much TV or whatever in China during the long, long breaks f(x) has? I know Fei does some TV stuff there, like a version of that fake marriage show and I saw something about her being a judge on some talent show. Obviously she has some level of fame there considering she's doing photoshoots.

Pendulum

Does anyone know if Victoria does much TV or whatever in China during the long, long breaks f(x) has?

Yeah. She's recently done the Chinese version of "Noonas over Flowers" and a couple of TV dramas. Also been doing films - in addition to the new Sassy Girl one, a Chinese remake of the Julia Robert's film "My Best Friend's Wedding".

Speaking of "My New Sassy Girl", it's been delayed? I thought it was meant to be out earlier this year.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
ziPf6.gif

Seriously can't believe all the hatred Lion Heart got here on kpopgaf.

Wait what? It's a catchy, cute song with a fun beat. What's not to like? Other than the absence of Jessica looking shitty?

ramyeon

Wait what? It's a catchy, cute song with a fun beat. What's not to like? Other than the absence of Jessica looking shitty?
It's the first thing they've released in Korea in ages yet it's boring as hell. Releases from other SM acts (Like Red Velvet) this year have been leagues more interesting.

It gets a free pass because it's a SNSD song but it would have been long buried and forgotten if anyone else had released it.

--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwpKtqq5yLQ

New Nell teaser. Yes, please, now.

Dice

It's the first thing they've released in Korea in ages yet it's boring as hell.
It gets a free pass because it's a SNSD song but it would have been long buried and forgotten if anyone else had released it.
Real talk: When was the last time you saw SNSD work this hard? Hoot?

GFriend has been retroactively one-upping their original concept, too.

The game has moved on!

llehuty

It's the first thing they've released in Korea in ages yet it's boring as hell.

You are forgetting Catch Jessica If You Can and Mr. Mr.

But yeah, they are selling just on brand name now. Still surprised of the legs Lion Heart is having when Mr.Mr. and Catch Me If You Can were almost dead on arrival. But then again, koreans do love boring music. (See A-Stink still on the charts).

What really pisses me off is that SM isn't even trying with them, with all their other acts getting better material (even Suju). I'm starting to think that this has more to do with SNSD being more involved in the releases, instead of leaving everything to the SM masterminds, that have being on point with Shinee and Red Velvet.

ramyeon

No I'm not, Catch Me if You Can was a Japanese release (Sure it got recorded in Korean and released digitally but it was never really pushed or promoted in Korea) and there was like a 1 and a half year gap between Mr Mr and Lion Heart.

ramyeon

Oh ok, missinterpreted the "ages" thing, since they have been with the one release per year scheme for a while.
One release per year is great if it's a quality release, but to come back with an album like Lion Heart after a year and a half is just lazy all around.

So forgettable. The title track wouldn't even be in the top 100 if it was anyone but SNSD performing it.

vanty

Saw a screenshot of some Melon chart earlier today and that DIA DAI whatever song was down in the 60s or 70s below fucking Redfoo ahah

CPBj2-TUEAALmwV.jpg:orig

luso

But yeah, they are selling just on brand name now. Still surprised of the legs Lion Heart is having when Mr.Mr. and Catch Me If You Can were almost dead on arrival. But then again, koreans do love boring music. (See A-Stink still on the charts).

What really pisses me off is that SM isn't even trying with them, with all their other acts getting better material (even Suju). I'm starting to think that this has more to do with SNSD being more involved in the releases, instead of leaving everything to the SM masterminds, that have being on point with Shinee and Red Velvet.

Don't compare apples and oranges, and go check Mr. Mr. figures.

You must forgive them for releasing a Korean song, in Korea, for a Korean audience and market *shocking*

One release per year is great if it's a quality release, but to come back with an album like Lion Heart after a year and a half is just lazy all around.

So forgettable. The title track wouldn't even be in the top 100 if it was anyone but SNSD performing it.

You could say the same about half of the releases from anyone, plenty of them are due *insert name* had some big success before.

The album has some good songs though.

ramyeon

You could say the same about half of the releases from anyone, plenty of them are due *insert name* had some big success before.

The album has some good songs though.
And believe it or not there are also groups the consistently release good music as well.

The album sucks.

Dice

It is easy to follow, when the paths already been paved.
Careful using that against GFriend. It may leave Soshi with no excuses after all these next-level innovators have entered the scene.

Peru

Real talk: When was the last time you saw SNSD work this hard? Hoot?

GFriend has been retroactively one-upping their original concept, too.

The game has moved on!

Actually the good part of the comeback has been their energy. Three MVs, decent dance routines, not half-assed performances, a spring in their steps. Did actually feel like there was hype related to the SNSD comeback after several wet farts. Party is ok, You Think is pretty good. Lion Heart is the worst single they've released outside of TTS. What's impressive is that it has stuck on the charts, showing us the brand is still strong enough. And Party did well. So: Some effort from SM, some effort into MVs and some enthusiasm from the girls made the comeback a commercial success. But also artistically a huge failure with LH.

Dice

Party did have some pizazz, but I think they have been totally halfassing Lion Heart.

llehuty

Don't compare apples and oranges, and go check Mr. Mr. figures.

You must forgive them for releasing a Korean song, in Korea, for a Korean audience and market *shocking*
Maybe my memory is failing, but I don't think Mr.Mr. performed that well on digital charts (Definitely not as good as Lion Heart). I would reply to the 2nd paragraph, but I don't get your point.

But you are right in that legacy acts tend to half ass their releases (Sisturd, A-Stink), but I'm not sure why we should be ok with it just because other groups are doin the same thing.

Tbf I've only watched Party and You THink stages since LH sucks so much.
Same. I only watched one Lion Heart performance because Ym1r and Loc where hyping it up (yeah, I should know better). SNSD could be doing Infinite levels of choreo but the song would still be boring trash.

luso

Party did have some pizazz, but I think they have been totally halfassing Lion Heart.

What exactly is "half-assing"? This new speech word is many times thrown carelessly.

Lion Heart may be not a "bop" but it's still nice song. After this comeback, given the relative success they had when many people were thirsty for a failure, I'm still don't understanding what more they could have done.

EatChildren

It's a simple song but it's cute and fun and so is the film clip. Plus Sooyoung's fashion and hair game is on point.

On another note, SNSD's members must be mid 20s on their way to 30 by now surely? How long do Korean pop bands last before the production companies go BZZT TOO OLD AND OUTDATED GOODBYE

Pendulum

On another note, SNSD's members must be mid 20s on their way to 30 by now surely?
26-24

How long do Korean pop bands last before the production companies go BZZT TOO OLD AND OUTDATED GOODBYE
I think that has more to do with profit/popularity and the members wishing to sign yet another contract, and less with age. Super Junior is still going strong in their early 30s/late 20s, and Brown Eyed Girls (with 3 of them turning 34 in the next few months) are due to put out another album soon - if the management change doesn't impact that.

Maybe my memory is failing, but I don't think Mr.Mr. performed that well on digital charts (Definitely not as good as Lion Heart). I would reply to the 2nd paragraph, but I don't get your point.

Wasn't one of the reasons why it flopped is coz it came out around the same time as 2NE1's Crush?

I remember SM even had bullshit reasons as to why the MV looks like a low budget college project... something about losing their files or whatever lol.

This.

I'm pretty sure SNSD got a chance to use Dumb Dumb for their own release but they're idiots and passed it off to Red Velvet.

Sure, Dumb Dumb is definitely an f(x)/RV track than a SNSD track, but if they're smart they would've realized the magic behind this track, but they're not and they went to boring, no effort tracks like Party and LH.

Dumb Dumb as a SNSD track could've been IGAB 2.0 and that would've been fncking amazing and I'd be back as a fan. I'm glad they're dumb though, RV deserves more love than SNSD does these days.

Peru

This.

I'm pretty sure SNSD got a chance to use Dumb Dumb for their own release but they're idiots and passed it off to Red Velvet.

No chance. SM are obsessive. Songs are made for a purpose. Red Velvet have a sound and an aesthetic and Dumb Dumb fit in. The greatest fault of SNSD's career music wise is they've never had an identity they could anchor their singles to. They went with the classic (but outdated) k-pop varying 'concept' thing and never really established a musical character. You don't know what you'll get and only rarely is it something really original (IGAB). They've had plenty of great singles, plenty of crap ones, but outside JP only shitty albums. Meanwhile f(x) have a sound, Red Velvet have a sound, Shinee to some extent have a sound, and their albums are listenable.

Top Bottom