• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT6| Thank You for Love

RedEther

6. Twice - Ooh Ahh (49,900)

pnqrCj3.png

Almost 50k!

broz0rs

Just thinking about Twice, Winner, and IKON, and how they all were founded from their respective reality contest shows. Looking back at it, I feel it's less about the competition, but more about getting viewers emotionally attached to members and turning them into fans before their debut. What better way to hook them in than the threat of a member being unable to debut or even expelled? All three groups have had very successful debuts because of the benefit of having an already established fandom.

llehuty

Just thinking about Twice, Winner, and IKON, and how they all were founded from their respective reality contest shows. Looking back at it, I feel it's less about the competition, but more about getting viewers emotionally attached to members and turning them into fans before their debut. What better way to hook them in than the threat of a member being unable to debut or even expelled? All three groups have had very successful debuts because of the benefit of having an already established fandom.
Well Monsta X and April, to a certain extent, also had their reality competitions. It helps, but big companies like JYP and YG are going to gather more attention just by default. But yeah, is a great way of giving early exposure to a group.

Let's see what happens with Produce 101, but having Somi, the Dia girls and Dani can give them a big push at the beginning.

Ashhong

Just wanted to pop in here and say that I watched Reply 1997 and it's like my second favorite drama of all time.

I'm starting 1994 and this show FUCKING SUCKS. Go Ara is a psycho and not in a cute way like Eunji

Does it get better?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Eunji was great in 1997 but I thought it was weird when
the dude's gf died so he falls for her little sister whom he has has known since she was a small child and he is also her teacher in the same class as his little brother (who is her bff/interested in her as well) whom he takes care of like a dad.

Ashhong

the dude's gf died so he falls for her little sister whom he has has known since she was a small child and he is also her teacher in the same class as his little brother (who is her bff/interested in her as well) whom he takes care of like a dad.

I don't know if I would call it weird. Sounds like a normal drama plot. Do you mean it's a little incesty?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Well, yeah, due to the familiarity/family connection, but that is only in addition to the large age difference and influence of his "position of power" as is the common legal way of describing it. Maybe my experience in church through life gives me a different view on it. Have you ever had that sort of role, kind of partially raising kids into adulthood? Being like "Ah, now she's all grown up! Time for romance!" just isn't a thing from my view. Maybe it's a cultural difference and her being the younger sister of his dead fiancée is actually what is supposed to make it acceptable? I haven't actually lived in Korea so I don't know how much credit there genuinely is to all this "Oppa, I'm all grown up now" stuff or how far it reaches.

No No Eul

Just wanted to pop in here and say that I watched Reply 1997 and it's like my second favorite drama of all time.

I'm starting 1994 and this show FUCKING SUCKS. Go Ara is a psycho and not in a cute way like Eunji

Does it get better?

It does get better, and Go Ara's character undergoes a pretty rapid change. I seem to remember that whole business of her being a psycho baskeball fan was dropped by the second episode or thereabouts and she becomes more of a lovable lazy layabout.

It also takes a while for the supporting characters to really find their feet. They were the strongest part of the show IMO.

Wow, I'd completely forgotten about all that. All I could remember about the older brother was that he
eventually got together with TVXQ stan Dr Jupal and then became president or something

Eldren

Wow Hyo no longer has the worst haircut in SNSD, it's been a while.

I'm still really enjoying Someone Like U, I think because Bravesound kept his involvement to a minimum. He normally grunts and groans his way through all his songs and it's really distracting, but he's quite restrained in this. (He still grunts and groans in parts of course, I imagine he can't help himself.) That break just before the last chorus where it sounds like an arena rock anthem where the crowd claps along is amazing.

Peru

They're dumb if they don't see the potential in making the whole group a neverending reality show where people vote on who gets promoted, not who makes the group.

No No Eul

That's kinda awesome. I wonder which lucky trainee gets to be front and centre?

I'm increasingly hyped for this show.

They're dumb if they don't see the potential in making the whole group a neverending reality show where people vote on who gets promoted, not who makes the group.

That would be really interesting. I often wonder whether an AKB-style super group would somehow be viable in Korea. Maybe that's the way to do it.

llehuty

That would be really interesting. I often wonder whether an AKB-style super group would somehow be viable in Korea. Maybe that's the way to do it.

I don't know if korea is ready for High Pitched Voices Choral Chorus™ or having 5 girls doing all the singing and the rest being backdancers.

Peru

Everyone sings on AKB singles*. And their vocals aren't really high pitched. *Unlike a non-idol girl group like Flower which now only has one vocalist and the rest dancers.

llehuty

Everyone sings on AKB singles*. And their vocals aren't really high pitched.
They are grating, and the main problem is that they all have to sing sing. I'm happy with big numbered groups with a small amount of singers like the E-girls and their subgroups.

Just writing to introduce myself - I'm Jazz and I run a Jpop and Kpop show on my Uni station. I'm relatively new to this stuff (and Radio, just started an MA in production) so would it be okay if I asked you guys about the more esoteric stuff in kpop? There's some super useful stuff in the OP.
I'm just doing what I can to try and shift people's perceptions of Kpop and Jpop around here...which is a bit of an uphill struggle at the moment to be honest.

llehuty

Just writing to introduce myself - I'm Jazz and I run a Jpop and Kpop show on my Uni station. I'm relatively new to this stuff (and Radio, just started an MA in production) so would it be okay if I asked you guys about the more esoteric stuff in kpop? There's some super useful stuff in the OP.
I'm just doing what I can to try and shift people's perceptions of Kpop and Jpop around here...which is a bit of an uphill struggle at the moment to be honest.
Hi Jazz! More than welcome to help over here. Shifting people perceptions on anything is not an easy task, and moreso, with pop music, and, on top of that, asian pop music.

We usually post in this thread all the new releases going through mainstream music to some more niche/underground/indie stuff, so you'll have plenty to pick from.

I have one question though, what do you mean with "esoteric stuff in kpop", though?

Hi Jazz! More than welcome to help over here. Shifting people perceptions on anything is not an easy task, and moreso, with pop music, and, on top of that, asian pop music.

We usually post in this thread all the new releases going through mainstream music to some more niche/underground/indie stuff, so you'll have plenty to pick from.

I have one question though, what do you mean with "esoteric stuff in kpop", though?

Thanks, really appreciate it.
I guess I mean the stuff that isn't actively promoted, by which I mean stuff like Standing Egg, Classiquai (how do you say that anyway?), J Rabbit...lesser known stuff as opposed to Bigbang, Block B and..B.A.P (went with the Bs).

Ym1r

I guess I mean the stuff that isn't actively promoted, by which I mean stuff like Standing Egg, Classiquai (how do you say that anyway?), J Rabbit...lesser known stuff as opposed to Bigbang, Block B and..B.A.P (went with the Bs).

Standing Egg, Clazziquai, J Rabbit? YOU'RE ALREADY ACCEPTED HERE.

Ballads and Indie are my favorite, welcome!

llehuty

You are the right place then. :p

Thanks guys, good to know I'm not alone out there....though I think some of my friends may be coming around to Kpop. I've got one guy listening to BTS occasionally and my best friend is loving Super Junior at the moment....well Sorry Sorry at least.

Small steps...

Wow that Produce 101 fancam is so weird to look at, but I'm impressed they managed to pull it of logistically. What I like the most is how they enter and leave in 'waves' as to not crowd the entry/exit. Must be one hell of a dressing room as well, or maybe they just tell them to get dressed at home and get there on time lol.

Minx' Sua.

Jiu.

q, someone's made a video just for you: Red Velvet IRENE: Surprised/Startled

Already seen it, but thanks anyway.

Pinky fancam
Some Starship trainee fancam
Some trainee from some company fancam
Fancam where you can see several girls pretty clearly, including Somi and Dani

More interestingly at the same event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUbyTM4dPRw

That's kinda awesome. I wonder which lucky trainee gets to be front and centre?

Yoo Jung of Fantagio.

Do not want.

Ashhong

Well, yeah, due to the familiarity/family connection, but that is only in addition to the large age difference and influence of his "position of power" as is the common legal way of describing it. Maybe my experience in church through life gives me a different view on it. Have you ever had that sort of role, kind of partially raising kids into adulthood? Being like "Ah, now she's all grown up! Time for romance!" just isn't a thing from my view. Maybe it's a cultural difference and her being the younger sister of his dead fiancée is actually what is supposed to make it acceptable? I haven't actually lived in Korea so I don't know how much credit there genuinely is to all this "Oppa, I'm all grown up now" stuff or how far it reaches.

I can see why that would turn you off. I feel like it's a super common plot line in Korean dramas. The younger girls always end up fawning over her mature oppa. Age isn't too big of an issue in Korea, especially if it's the girl that's younger

Guess I'll try a few more episodes of 1994 before I give up

Edgeward

Tell us more.

I wrote up my impressions last night so here you go:

So I came back from the LA event and it was an enjoyable time. Based on previous experiences, I went with a upper level seat since standing in line and then during the concert for a GA spot is too much. Place wasn't sold out as there were a few half rows that were empty. I opted for a row back of my original seat where no one was on either side for 3 seats.

Anyway, concert as great. Not much of an Apink guy but I do enjoy a lot of their big hits. Eunji was the clear MVP of the night. She talked quite a lot in broken english but was confident in saying it. One of the more memorable instances is at various points fans would scream I love you during the talking bits and she would just smile and say "Yeah. I know" like Han Solo coolness. She would always get the energy and fun going during the talking segments and egging on other members.

They did some aegyo - Chorong did the gwiyomi song, Bomi did 있잖아 내가 할말이 있어 song and Eunji did buing buing. They also did Hearts and Kisses where Hayoung and Bomi did Sexy versions.

I don't remember the exact order but I know they did "Remember" "Mr Chu" "Sunday Monday" "Good Morning Baby" "Secret" "U You" "NoNoNo" "Luv" and the encore I did not recognize the song. But no "Hush" :(

Not being to take pictures with even a phone was annoying but it allowed people to focus on the girls and give tons of energy. And holy crap people were doing the fan chants during the popular songs. I thought I was inkigayo with how loud and in sync they were.

The translators spoke very softly and the mics were low so it was hard to hear their answers for the Q&A but they played the "What's in the box?" game. The younger team had boba as their item and Eunji, Bomi and Chorong (?) had to touch an octopus. Eunji grabbed the thing like a boss while Bomi had a really big scared reaction. It was funny and really good. Almost too good like it was rehearsed or played up but still funny nonetheless.

Great event. I liked how it was like a real showcase I see on 1theK plus some nice fanservice. MC was a doofus though but harmless.

llehuty

I wrote up my impressions last night so here you go:

So I came back from the LA event and it was an enjoyable time. Based on previous experiences, I went with a upper level seat since standing in line and then during the concert for a GA spot is too much. Place wasn't sold out as there were a few half rows that were empty. I opted for a row back of my original seat where no one was on either side for 3 seats.

Anyway, concert as great. Not much of an Apink guy but I do enjoy a lot of their big hits. Eunji was the clear MVP of the night. She talked quite a lot in broken english but was confident in saying it. One of the more memorable instances is at various points fans would scream I love you during the talking bits and she would just smile and say "Yeah. I know" like Han Solo coolness. She would always get the energy and fun going during the talking segments and egging on other members.

They did some aegyo - Chorong did the gwiyomi song, Bomi did 있잖아 내가 할말이 있어 song and Eunji did buing buing. They also did Hearts and Kisses where Hayoung and Bomi did Sexy versions.

I don't remember the exact order but I know they did "Remember" "Mr Chu" "Sunday Monday" "Good Morning Baby" "Secret" "U You" "NoNoNo" "Luv" and the encore I did not recognize the song. But no "Hush" :(

Not being to take pictures with even a phone was annoying but it allowed people to focus on the girls and give tons of energy. And holy crap people were doing the fan chants during the popular songs. I thought I was inkigayo with how loud and in sync they were.

The translators spoke very softly and the mics were low so it was hard to hear their answers for the Q&A but they played the "What's in the box?" game. The younger team had boba as their item and Eunji, Bomi and Chorong (?) had to touch an octopus. Eunji grabbed the thing like a boss while Bomi had a really big scared reaction. It was funny and really good. Almost too good like it was rehearsed or played up but still funny nonetheless.

Great event. I liked how it was like a real showcase I see on 1theK plus some nice fanservice. MC was a doofus though but harmless.

ctrl + f "naeun"
0 results

thumbs_up__running_man_gif_by_blake4monthsss-d5fz6xi.gif

I'm kidding, just wanted to trigger the Naeun fans :p

That sounds great! I don't like the group, but is cool when groups show some kind of attention to international fans. Eunji was always the MVP, but confirming it's also the case in a concert context is great. How many audience do you think it was there? How was the boy:girl ratio? Was it mostly young people?

Edgeward

I know I read comments how Naeun is boring and no personality but it is true. She is so reserved that even for someone so pretty you forget she is there most times during the talking bits

There was a good mix of boys and gals. It seemed like an even split which is kinda surprising. And there were an equal amount of loud stanning for both groups.

Hard to say since I couldn't see the full pit area. Gun to my head, if I had to guess, i would say 600-700.

Selane

I am vaguely aware of this Produce 101 thing, but I don't really understand how it works. What's the endgame, are they going to whittle it down to form a group? And if so how is that going to work since the trainees are from a bunch of different companies?

I am vaguely aware of this Produce 101 thing, but I don't really understand how it works. What's the endgame, are they going to whittle it down to form a group? And if so how is that going to work since the trainees are from a bunch of different companies?

10 member group which will only promote for a year before going their seperate ways.

Top Bottom