• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT6| Thank You for Love

roaSone

I love it, this type of 'boring' ballad track always work on me.

Such a great album, 'Cool Hot Sweet Love' and 'Light Me Up' answers back with more rhythm,
if you wanna stay in that dreamy vocals mood, 'First Time' and 'Rose Scent Breeze' are for you.
Title track remixes are so good too, hard to choose the best one, it depends of my mood.

Now I wish and hope that Sketchbook is gonna invite them, I can already see YHY performing the piano ver. and WenSeul nailing it.

llehuty

assbrass is an amazing producer. very underrated though.
Thanks for this, I will have a look at it.

Hyomin won
and also F0rneus... and f(x).

Oh, this is actually decent and sets them a bit appart, any info on them? Do they have any gimmick/special concept?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Red Velvet 레드벨벳_7월 7일 (One Of These Nights)_Music Video

I think most of the songs in the pre-release description mentioned "R&B", but "Light Me Up" and "Cool Hot Sweet Love" are the two more firmly along those lines and will probably be enjoyed most by those that can't appreciate a ballad.
This is soothing and it'll probably mostly be played during chill times at night, not really gonna stan it though.

Brave to enter Hoody and Satbyeol's realm.

Never really been into this theatrical style of music.

For you: https://youtu.be/U3LEFGrmvXY

No No Eul

Is it OK to be a 30 year old fan of K-Pop?

Well you're certainly not the only one here.

Nice song, very pleasant, and the MV complements it well.

It's pretty unusual for a girl group to go with a ballad for a title track, right? I'm struggling to think of any recent examples.

STOP THE PRESSES
CdrZ6zjUMAQ9h-7.jpg

March 28

Those T-shirts look rather familiar. Probably just as well that they didn't use the 'Hoes Take Off Your Clothes' one.

Dice

Coffee and headphones and bed have sold me on the new RV. A friend of mine is really disappointed because he feels R&B always needs a real climax, but I disagree. There are many times I'm feeling verrrry mellow and when something goes all out (whether pained, passionate, or sappy direction) it's too much. Lowkey is better sometimes, so for example, I've jammed to Soulights quite a bit, or Zero 7, or Mocca (Indonesian group) for a lighter side. This song keeps it in the bounds, so it's good for chill and there is room for that kind of music in life.
After all my nap time jokes, I really have listened to Lovelyz to mellow out quite a lot.

As for the rest of the mini, man, I am completely in love with the soundscapes SM has been on lately and they mix things up with perfect moderation to keep stuff interesting without losing itself and their voices are so lovely, especially Seulgi's. It's magic.

Kuno

It's worth noting that the "I'm Just Not Into You" MV is basically just a behind the scenes from the Radio MV.

Here's the third track on the EP/single, which is also pretty good:

JY - Up In The Air

Makes Nicole's recent Japanese single seem even worse than it already was :X

Dice

Those two tracks are pretty great. The full version of the Radio MV was released as well. The video is kinda (deliberately) tragic but I still really like the song.
For me Radio is like intentionally guilty pleasure fashion trash pop. Easily intuitively understood even though it's fairly on the meta side of the spectrum, which is why they struck exactly that tone in the MV in case people got confused. If you tried to be like "hey, check out this great music" people would be like "wtf ru on m8" but if you just passively let it happen and shamelessly rock to that shit you know everyone would secretly like it.

No No Eul

For me Radio is like intentionally guilty pleasure fashion trash pop. Easily intuitively understood even though it's fairly on the meta side of the spectrum, which is why they struck exactly that tone in the MV in case people got confused. If you tried to be like "hey, check out this great music" people would be like "wtf ru on m8" but if you just passively let it happen and shamelessly rock to that shit you know everyone would secretly like it.

Good point.

Dice

Good point.
Come to think of it, that makes it the perfect thing to play on TVs in clothing stores to convey "she just is the girl and she just does pull anything off" for the new brand of JY. Wouldn't surprise me if that is a significant chunk of the marketing push for this in Japan right now.

Anybody hear this new Jiyoung song?

[MV] JY - I'm Just Not Into You

I didn't like "Radio" but this is actually pretty good. All three songs on her EP are in English and have western producers. I wonder how this'll work out for her.

Do you happen to know who all the producers are?

The man sitting down in the 'I'm Just Not Into You' video is British singer/songwriter/producer MNEK:

ECrclOT.jpg

He cowrote and sings on a recent European hit 'Never Forget You' with Zara Larsson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTyN-DB_v5M

That "bass drop" at 1:44 or when the chorus ends...

tGFc.gif

I wasn't sold at all with the song until that drop but after that...

o70O.gif

Sure it's not a song that you'll be bumping every day, not something that's gonna be hyped up by everyone but for somebody who loves R&B and music that grooves, has feel or something that vibes really well... this is life giving.

Now I can't wait to get home and listen to the album. 15 mins left 'til I get to leave work!!

Thank you Twitter GIFS for the easy access lol.

feist_

Banned
I like ballads. "The Velvet" feels too ballad heavy for me, though once I revisit it I'm sure I'll find it's one of those mood albums which rewards with a consistent theme and musical space throughout (one of the reasons for the lack of more mid-up tempo R&B).

Listening to music while exhausted often warps my judgement, but I doubt I'll fully come around on "Light Me Up." About 20-30 seconds in and I was already at a loss for what exactly was happening there. While not as bad as "Lady's Room," it doesn't work for me. Neither does that random 1980s power ballad rock guitar riff on "Rose Scent Breeze" (not saying the song itself is bad).

On the other end of the spectrum "One of These Nights" is a good song. The remixes add a few nice touches to it as well. "Cool Hot Sweet Love" is great in parts though I'm not sure the song fully resolves itself for me just yet. Certain it will grow with further listens. Either way, as this album's version of "Time Slip," "Cool Hot Sweet Love" doesn't execute or integrate its hip-hop influence all that well. Re-tool that aspect and the song is immediately better.

So Seulgi and Joy's tones continue to kill everyone else in the group, even if Wendy may be a more rounded singer overall. I remember early on people compared Joy to Sunny and as much as I love Sunny, Joy's voice shades hers. There at times where Joy's tone is at least Seulgi level if not better. So good. That isn't to sell Wendy short, as she's a solid vocal backbone who has been strong on some of RV's songs.

"The Velvet" will be a situational album for me. Great for when I want something in that lane, so ultimately played with less frequency than other go-to albums.

Perhaps above all, I'm glad I didn't go in expecting an album full of "Automatics."

Cuddler

Just finished listening to the new Red Velvet mini album. Don't know what I expected, but it's really disappointing. I didn't particularly like any of the songs, Automatic, Be Natural and Candy were so much better than this. Also the title track is just forgettable imo
(watch this become the most downloaded song of all time in Korea)
. None of the songs of the album seems to particularly stand out. It's really unfortunate because they actually have nice voices. Not that it really matters anyway, they are red velvet so I'm sure they will do well, hopefully the next velvet album will be something much better. On a positive note I'm happy that a girl group have released this type of album. Also I'm really late to this but lately I'm listening a lot to 4Minute "No love", I usually don't like 4Minute songs, but I liked this a lot.
This are the type of songs I expected in the new Red Velvet mini album

llehuty

Just finished listening to the new Red Velvet mini album. Don't know what I expected, but it's really disappointing. I didn't particularly like any of the songs, Automatic, Be Natural and Candy were so much better than this. Also the title track is just forgettable imo
(watch this become the most downloaded song of all time in Korea)
. None of the songs of the album seems to particularly stand out. It's really unfortunate because they actually have nice voices. Not that it really matters anyway, they are red velvet so I'm sure they will do well, hopefully the next velvet album will be something much better. On a positive note I'm happy that a girl group have released this type of album. Also I'm really late to this but lately I'm listening a lot to 4Minute "No love", I usually don't like 4Minute songs, but I liked this a lot.
This are the type of songs I expected in the new Red Velvet mini album

tumblr_mipjg2HA3Z1qdcel5o4_250.gif

Cuddler hitting the nail right in the head with all his points IMO.

Finally had an hour to really take The Velvet in so here's my hot take:

I think it's great.

That "drop" as I mentioned earlier is still a fantastic feeling and after that, the song just works really well for me. I think the reason why it really works well for me is due to that groove/vibe factor I mentioned earlier. The voices revolve around the backing track, and the backing track imparts a distinctive and subtle beat just makes it an enjoyable experience.

I think the best way to describe it is during those EDM raves young people go to these days, when the "bass drops" and everybody starts dry humping each other in the pit and loses their minds, it has that same feel I think.

As for explaining groove/vibe factor, it's something I honestly can't explain. I first noticed it in jazz music and it's been stuck with me ever since. The only thing I can really say about it is that it's more prominent on slower songs and it's not something I can distinguish on faster tempo music.

As for the entire mini, I wouldn't say it's disappointing, but maybe a little meh. I can't even get past a minute in Cool Hot Sweet Love. Light Me Up(also has that groove/vibe factor) is fantastic actually and probably should've been the single. First time and Rose whatever are nice ballad tracks that I enjoy but that's all I can really say about it. The remixes of One Of These Nights are cool too but I much prefer the original with the beat drop.

Zion T joining YG sub label with Teddy and Kush.

Isn't he with Amoeba still or did he leave after he got popular?

Finally had an hour to really take The Velvet in so here's my hot take:

I think it's great.

That "drop" as I mentioned earlier is still a fantastic feeling and after that, the song just works really well for me. I think the reason why it really works well for me is due to that groove/vibe factor I mentioned earlier. The voices revolve around the backing track, and the backing track imparts a distinctive and subtle beat just makes it an enjoyable experience.

I think the best way to describe it is during those EDM raves young people go to these days, when the "bass drops" and everybody starts dry humping each other in the pit and loses their minds, it has that same feel I think.

As for explaining groove/vibe factor, it's something I honestly can't explain. I first noticed it in jazz music and it's been stuck with me ever since. The only thing I can really say about it is that it's more prominent on slower songs and it's not something I can distinguish on faster tempo music.

As for the entire mini, I wouldn't say it's disappointing, but maybe a little meh. I can't even get past a minute in Cool Hot Sweet Love. Light Me Up(also has that groove/vibe factor) is fantastic actually and probably should've been the single. First time and Rose whatever are nice ballad tracks that I enjoy but that's all I can really say about it. The remixes of One Of These Nights are cool too but I much prefer the original with the beat drop.

Isn't he with Amoeba still or did he leave after he got popular?

Contract expires in April.

Broank

One of those Nights is pretty nice. Doesn't move me or make me want to listen a bunch though. Video is surprisingly put together, although not really surprising since Red Velvet always gets the best videos in SM.

I can dig the more slow, non-descript Velvet stuff as long as we keep getting GOATs like Happiness, ICC and Dumb Dumb alternated in between.

STOP THE PRESSES
CdrZ6zjUMAQ9h-7.jpg

March 28

OMG!
ezgif.com-optimize1d0sqq.gif

Pendulum

Not going to bother throwing guesses at Zion T's Amoeba Culture contract (hi Simon D!) or how much money the YG sub label paid, but to be honest I was a little unnerved reading about this. I mean, Zion T working with the Amoeba crew has put out some of my favorite Korean music and my immediate thought was about how I'll possibly be getting less of that now. Yeah, cross-label collaborations in k-hop happen and a change of label doesn't mean a change in quality (although Epik High is at 1 from 2), but like I said, gut reaction balked at this change.

I will expect you, Zion T. 화이팅

Edit: Does that mean AgentChris is going to be posting Zion T stuff now? Genuinely interested - as an artist that didn't debut at YG, what do you think of his music?

vanty

Choosing Sketch over Gold for Hyomin's single is 10 times crazier than DSP picking Black Swan over Pierrot. Not only is it hands down the best song on the EP but it's also far better suited for being a single and isn't super forgettable like Sketch.

I've had a listen to The Velvet as well and liked it. The fifth song which from what I remember had no R&B just full ballad was kinda bleh but the first four tracks I enjoyed. Haven't had a chance to check out the MV yet.

ramyeon

Hopefully thats the case. I still remember Epik Highs transition to YG *shrug*
And then they went on to make an amazing album with YG. Yes, 99 was crap. But they've made it clear over and over again that it was the album they wanted to make at that point in time.

Let us remember for a moment that HIGHGRND is also an independent sub label of YG (Just like Teddy's label that Zion.T will be joining) and they have a huge range of artists from all different genres making the music they want to make.

JKTrix

Strictly defined, rap is just talking to a rhythm without pitch. Rhyming is a common convention, but it's not a requirement.

I can't answer why it might appear that way more often in kpop, because I often don't listen closely enough to regular kpop lyrics in general to know if they rhyme. I mostly listen to kpop with my eyes.

Which is why I'm mostly disappointed that Velvet won't have any choreography. I did like a couple of those songs though.

mr_chun

b93NbUC.gif

Be Natural and Automatic have been two of my favorite RV tracks so far; naturally, I'm digging this one too. They do this type of music well.

As an aside, I enjoyed their Immortal Song performance as well.

That's a little out of left field, but it could be good. I hope that he's still able to collaborate with his dudes. Love the stuff that he's done with Crush.

Strictly defined, rap is just talking to a rhythm without pitch. Rhyming is a common convention, but it's not a requirement.

Not sure I totally agree with that definition. Rap vocals definitely have pitch (as do metal "screams/growls"), it's just not often used in the melodic sense dictated by Western music tradition. Pitch and inflection are a big part of rap. I do agree that rhyming isn't a requirement, but I'd say subjectively that good rappers definitely have expertise in rhyme scheme in conjunction with poetic meter.

Top Bottom