• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT6| Thank You for Love

feist_

Banned
I like a lot of songs and artists. I can sometimes find enjoyment even when the song or artist are not particularly good.

There are very few acts that I can say I love. I can say I love f(x) for instance, and the same would apply to Miss A/JYP Sisters/Chinese Wonder Girls.

From JYPE's mismanagement to internal tensions within the group, it was clear they wouldn't be around much longer. *looks at f(x)*

Still, this was awful news. Genuinely going to miss this group.

R750x0

This can not be quoted enough.

More recently, "Melted" was one of their best post-Touch songs. "Love Song" is also solid if, like me, you don't hate the drop.

Is it even possible for Suzy to get backlash?
From GAF? Easily.

From South Korea or many of the countries in the region? She'd have to become a mass murderer, or start releasing Sistar-level songs.

Loved miss A, but I've always thought they were the most patchwork idol group ever.
Not posssible in a world that includes Nine Muses, Rania, Super Junior, Brave Girls and many others

The group may not have had an official leader, but it was clear Min and Jia took turns running the show.

Make them a duo with Suzy and Fei plz.
I'm Perfect Fei The Best™ for life, but it's one of the rare instances where my fave wasn't the best member of a group. You don't have Miss A if Min and Jia are both gone. Fei may have most of the visuals, but even in her native tongue, her singing isn't nearly strong enough.

From the very beginning, Jia and Min were the strongest and most consistent members in the group; Min being the best vocally, followed by Jia making the most of what she had. Unlike Tzuyu, Amber and other foreigners who've struggled with their accents and Korean pronunciation, Jia had a distinct way of speaking that I always liked.

Objectively, Suzy's tone and ability are better than Jia but Jia's execution is great when she's in top form. She beasts all throughout "Touch" mini and has always had more passion and "punch" in her vocal performances than Fei and Suzy combined. At least until the "Colors" mini released, where Jia declined (IIRC), just as Suzy gave the best overall vocal performances of her career.

Merge the Wonder Girls with Miss A
No thanks.
While she has improved, I don't want Suzy anywhere near Wonder Girls. The resurrected WG are in a good place under Yeeun's guidance and I look forward to their next project. Even though Min could be a good addition to WG, Miss A should walk off into the sunset...

R750x0

If anything I'd rather Yerin join. However, aside from top tier vocals Yerin doesn't fit WG.

BONUS ROUND: Which classic mini was better?

☐ miss A - Touch

☐ f(X) - Electric Shock

Is 'Cheer Up' popular solely because of Twice or is the song considered good? Cause Ive listened to it a handful of times and that was more than enough for me.

I like Twice, just not the song and surprised people are not tired of it.

Peru

I didn't care much for their first song but Cheer Up is a big tune. Sounded like a huge hit the first time I listened to it. Add a phenomenon like 'Sha sha sha' and you've got a classic.

No No Eul

That's awesome.

Maybe it's too early to say this but with Twice's popularity soaring, I wonder if this will be the group that finally manages to climb The Wall That Cannot Be Climbed (or at least replace The Wall That Cannot Be Climbed because it crumbled due to old age). Exciting times!

☑☑☑☑ miss A - Touch ☑☑☑☑

☐ f(X) - Electric Shock

:p

I know I'm late but RIP Miss A.

Hush is definitely my favorite release from them since it had sooo many jams like Come on Over, Spotlight, Like U, If I Were A Boy, and Over U.

Hush also is their best single and MV IMO. The song in itself is just fantastic and the MV... lawd jesus.

Fei with the curtain dance...

spHp.gif

...y'all's K-Pop faves could never.

broz0rs

Is 'Cheer Up' popular solely because of Twice or is the song considered good? Cause Ive listened to it a handful of times and that was more than enough for me.

I like Twice, just not the song and surprised people are not tired of it.

It took me a few listens to get over the "chorup baby! chorup baby!" konglish, but now i find it endearing and won't be the same if it had the correct pronunciation. The hook/chorus is just very catchy and that alone makes the track great imo.

So there's this ultra-sexy group called Laysha performing a song named 'Chocolate Cream.' I think it's their original song. I am kinda jamming to this track. There's a sax-sample going on, but I don't mind. Here's a fancam, but be warned it's seriously NSFW.

llehuty

So there's this ultra-sexy group called Laysha performing a song named 'Chocolate Cream.' I think it's their original song. I am kinda jamming to this track. There's a sax-sample going on, but I don't mind. Here's a fancam, but be warned it's seriously NSFW.
Hahah, I keep seeing Laysha on my youtube subscriptions tab and those must be the lewdest thumbnails in youtube.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Not feeling OMG at all, same as IOI. Hopefully with the new mini CLC can recover from flying off the rails.

Right now it's like Red Velvet > AOA > GFriend > Twice > Lovelyz > Wait for Apink/EXID/f(x) > Pray for Bestie/missA/4minute/T-ara/Girl's Day/Fiestar/Minx/Dal Shabet/Nine Muses/Ladies Code/Wonder Girls > RIP Stellar/Hello Venus/After School/Secret/Rainbow.

Sonamoo has boosted activity on Twitter recently so maybe they'll get something again. I liked their post-debut stuff a lot.

That performance is a lot classier than they usually are. It's like they're trying to be a real group.

An Oh My Girl comeback we are so blessed. I kinda hope they will promote another Jinyoung track. If he can continue the goodness that is.

KNK is also coming back with a mini-album. YNB proving once more they have more faith in their rookie boygroup than Bestie. Still I'm excited.

Right now it's like Red Velvet > AOA > GFriend > Twice > Lovelyz > Wait for Apink/EXID/f(x) > Pray for Bestie/missA/4minute/T-ara/Girl's Day/Fiestar/Minx/Dal Shabet/Nine Muses/Ladies Code/Wonder Girls > RIP Stellar/Hello Venus/After School/Secret/Rainbow.

What about Mamamoo?

Another weekend, another Plediz Girlz showcase. Still no Nayoung and Pinky as expected.

Rollercoaster group fancam
Yum Yum Yebin fancam
Doggedly Eunwoo fancam
Siyeon solo performance
Minkyung fancam from their dance performance

OH MY GIRL - Windy Day (Teaser)

THEY ARE GOING TO RELEASE AN AWESOME SINGLE... AGAIN!

BEST ACTIVE GIRL GROUP

If its another great comeback they'll probably overtake RV as my favorite rookies
at least temporarily till another redish release by RV.
They've been on such a flawless roll since debut. Nothing would make me happier than to see them dethrone Twice with this comeback. Not that I mind Twice, just the success they are achieveing with this particular song.

Damn, mucore wasn't kidding, they have gone full hardcore on no lipsyncing.

There are 2 sides of the coin:
[HOT] Berry Good - Angel, 베리굿 - 앤젤 Show Music core 20160521
Really good performance, questionable Ooh Ooh Oohs aside

[HOT] April - Tinkerbell, 에이프릴 - 팅커벨 Show Music core 20160521
Removes all the energy from the song. Would probably be a different story if Somin was still part of the group.

Might be because I'm at work with shitty speakers, but Aprils performance soudns alright to me. April are growing on me with this comeback between Tinkerbell and Jelly. But Berry Good definitely win this round. I was ready to write them off after their shitty 2015 output, but Angel is too damn good. One of the best songs of the year still.

This can not be quoted enough.

More recently, "Melted" was one of their best post-Touch songs. "Love Song" is also solid if, like me, you don't hate the drop.

There's at least 3 of us. You, me and ramyeon.

What about Mamamoo?

We've been over this before crimzon.

Dice

When I'm at work and faking the fuck out of being nice so much that I actually trick myself into enjoying it even though it's still fully calculated, that's the feeling I get from Mamamoo. That isn't an accusation, it's just a feeling. I've always felt the same way about Rainbow's Jaekyung. Somehow Mamamoo manages to even make quality singing/performance feel like a mere schtick. As I have said before, I don't mind it if they have a good jam like Um Oh Ah Yeah.

Edit: Again, to reiterate so there is no confusion, it's not an accusation. It's also not a denial that nearly every kpop artist stuffs their feelings and does the thing now and then or even most of the time, or that there ought be nothing of a performance that is contrived. It's not a statement of knowledge or realities, but feeling inspired. I'm sure all of us have some group others like that we find downright insipid. Not that I'm saying Mamamoo is to me, there is just a bit of a disconnect.

Peru

tumblr_nxhz17Y9rA1r1jt24o2_r1_400.gif

You're conflating striking theatrical poses with faked niceness.

Anyway it's obvious when you see them off stage they're one of the groups most genuinely relaxed and happy with what they're doing and getting back from it.

I think some of their songs are v good and some just ok. But they're a lot of fun, stand out from other girl groups, 3/4 members are top tier killer singers and it's been great seeing them slaughter the competition on Immortal Song.

tumblr_o3zm8bNhyy1v9eeyuo2_400.gif
tumblr_o3zm8bNhyy1v9eeyuo3_400.gif

Dice

I'm not saying they don't enjoy their work, just that it has some unnatural feeling for me that pulls me away from the song and dance so I can't fully/purely dive in and enjoy. My work analogy was more about the ambiguous merge of trying and being, which is not exactly the same as insincerity. Understanding it, in some ways a clear act can be superior for appealing to a wider audience.

Another way of putting it is that it reminds me of the feeling I get from evangelical Christian worship/media except from and for a different culture. Fake isn't really the word for it if they really believe, enjoy, and give their all to it 24/7, but that doesn't mean it seems natural for me, and their enjoyment and excellence in it doesn't automatically equate to my entertainment.

One may then interpret that as an intentional challenge to norms and admire it, but that doesn't really matter to me. One may also argue that most kpop routines don't even get to such a personal layer of the role of music rather than being fairly autonomous constructs and thus Mamamoo is "next level" for even involving it, but again that is a separate issue from my subjective experience of enjoyment.

Just describing a rather subtle and complex feeling I get from them.

Berry Good's lives are really fun to watch, their live vocals hold up well. This live radio performance is quite impressive also. A really cute group with lots of potential to grow if they can keep promoting songs like this, they're definitely on the right track.

llehuty

Might be because I'm at work with shitty speakers, but Aprils performance soudns alright to me. April are growing on me with this comeback between Tinkerbell and Jelly. But Berry Good definitely win this round. I was ready to write them off after their shitty 2015 output, but Angel is too damn good. One of the best songs of the year still.
The problem with April is like all their voices are super thin, so, even if they are hitting the right notes, it just has no power to it.

Didn't omg just release an album less than a month ago?
It's a repackage of thei third mini, so the promo cycle will probably be shorter.

feist_

Banned
Agree with the above positive comments about Mamamoo as it's how they've always come off to me since pre-debut. I can enjoy the members as well as the top level vocals.

Also, I've noticed there was never a long list of answers (or any at all, for that matter) for this question: "Point me to better live performers in the current k-pop girl group climate then."

hqdefault.jpg
30:40
[ENG SUB] (HD) E251 Weekly Idol 160518 - AOA playing funny games & with their lovely pets !

hqdefault.jpg
16:46
160518 Weekly Idol Eng Subs - AOA Random Play Dance!

I know I'm late but RIP Miss A.

Hush is definitely my favorite release from them since it had sooo many jams like Come on Over, Spotlight, Like U, If I Were A Boy, and Over U.

Hush also is their best single and MV IMO. The song in itself is just fantastic and the MV... lawd jesus.

Fei with the curtain dance...

http://gif.co/spHp.gif

...y'all's K-Pop faves could never.
Always liked the song "Hush." Good tune and it's another example of the group experimenting. "Over U" is originally from Touch mini, though.

☑☑☑☑ miss A - Touch ☑☑☑☑

☐ f(X) - Electric Shock
:p
Heh.

Electric Shock mini has a better (or more fitting) outro song, and as much as I love "Touch" you could make the argument that "Electric Shock" is a stronger single.

Still, Touch mini is more varied in its sounds, with no bad songs to be found. "Rock n Rule" is probably the weakest song, yet it's good and perfectly placed in the track listing as a change of pace. Just as you're recovering from "Lips" and right before "No Mercy" goes for the jugular.

Dice

Also, I've noticed there was never a long list of answers (or any at all, for that matter) for this question: "Point me to better live performers in the current k-pop girl group climate then."
This "no reply" was pointed out before, but I don't think the fact is saying much. People generally don't want to be pulled into making what can only be their personal taste into an argument of standards. If I like some people more I'm not going to say they are actually clearly worse than Mamamoo but I enjoy them more regardless. Rather, the nature of how entertainment value is found is a complex thing.

We can compare and observe common elements to what we enjoy and try to approximate general consensus and find a relative standard in there somewhere, but in reality our enjoyment isn't dogmatically locked down to fitting into the right parameters. Normally this reality doesn't matter much except for clear failures of intention, so we can easily say well so-and-so can't keep rhythm or sing on key and that's a problem. However, when you start talking about who is best, which of the top are above others, it really just doesn't work that way.

Also getting into a argument to be negative about someone is generally not a good practice and no one would think it's worth bothering with unless they really hated whoever it is.

Ym1r

It doesn't matter what I say, I could tell by the way people were offended by my comment that if I said something I was just going to get flamed, so no point in opening my mouth.

To me, everybody but Solar has a rough vocal quality that despite nice vocal control and range during live performances, it sounds bad. That awkward tensed tone they use (or that one person whoever says it) to scream "It's Mamamoo!" in their performances is an annoying example.

If singing while walking around on stage, and making awkward ad libs constitutes as "good" stage presence then whatever, it's music I'm not going to tell them whats wrong or right, but I enjoy singers sitting on stage pouring their emotions out through their song, and sure Mamamoo can sit on stage and sing too, but like I said previously I'm not entirely sold on their vocal quality.

I'm pretty sure Taeyeon is as "unanimously" loved as Mamamoo, If people can think Taeyeon is over rated I don't see how that makes me unable to say Mamamoo is too.

Anyway, I like Mamamoo, but to me, they aren't as great as everybody says they are. I'll just keep listening to my ballad singers.

feist_

Banned
I may have overlooked something, but my understanding of the original question's context was less to do with a matter of Mamamoo being superior, and more an opportunity to understand what others' criteria of what makes an act or their abilities and output "good."

I've briefly touched on the complexities of answering highly subjective and often arbitrary choices such as who or what qualifies as "best." Be that singer, dancer, painting or any other individuals and things a comparison can be drawn from. While we mostly joke about X > Y, as Dice has mentioned outside of identifying something such as a singer being off-key or offbeat, there is nearly no way for everyone to agree on a static series of metrics in determining what makes a good rapper for instance.

Some may think "X" is not to their liking while others will more emphatically state "X" is awful, and/or unquestionably inferior to "Y." We're all here for different reasons. I think the question of better live performers was more to get a feel for what it is that some listeners feel makes Mamamoo boring/overrated/artificial and what traits those people find in acts which they feel are more capable or deserving of attention.

Leaving aside the regular quips about making others like what we personally like*, I think many of us are at least somewhat open to learning and seeing certain things from a different perspective even if it is in relation to a person/song/film/work of art that is at odds with our tastes.

*Not that we haven't had clear and sometimes "heated" disagreements about personal preferences that were not only serious but have caused some to stop interacting with certain posters, or leave the thread altogether.

Dice

It can be hard to identify and describe what makes something appeal to you or not. You see my attempts above. I could have said something like... Aerosmith gives me the same feeling, but nobody would have a clue WTF I was on about without me sharing all that other detail trying to express what I'm getting at.

milkham

Milk!!!

*llehuty hugs milkham*

How is life? How come you didn't post here for Tiffany and Jessica's solos? What did you think about them?

Oh i figured the thread would be full of Tiffany hate.
I thought Tiffany's had a cool retro vibe though I haven't listened to the rest of the tracks yet. I though Jessica's was totally by the numbers, complete with requisite kpop rap sequence plugged in. I should probably give the rest of both their tracks a listen but having computer problems.

Ym1r

Speaking of fany,

If it hasn't been posted yet, this remix preview of Tiffany's song by SM's EDM label ScreaM Records is actually pretty good. I wonder what the full song sounds like.

Not sure cause I haven't been keeping up with the thread lately.

broz0rs

Not feeling OMG at all, same as IOI. Hopefully with the new mini CLC can recover from flying off the rails.

I wish we can have a poll or survey because I'm not all that convinced RV would be the unanimous popular female group in this thread. That last single set them back from reading comments here. For myself personally, I just couldn't get back into them when they added that fifth girl who I feel disrupted their original vibe/chemistry and is like a deadweight to the group imho.

Dice

I wish we can have a poll or survey because I'm not all that convinced RV would be the unanimous popular female group in this thread. That last single set them back from reading comments here. For myself personally, I just couldn't get back into them when they added that fifth girl who I feel disrupted their original vibe/chemistry and is like a deadweight to the group imho.
Poll: Can you stan ____?
-Yes
-No
-Some members, but not the group as a overall thing
-Some songs, but not the group as an overall thing

Do one for each group. We will find our most-consensus-stanned group!
Although this would not reflect our historical love of T-ara, which at one time seemed pretty damn unanimous.

P.S. That flowchart was my personal view, not my guess about popularity ranking here.

Edit: Yeri heard that. Better watch out.

I'd rank the following 'rookie/new' girl groups ahead of RV. In no particular order: GFriend, Lovelyz, Mamamoo, Twice, and OMG. I sill think WJSN has potential too.

Peru

This "no reply" was pointed out before, but I don't think the fact is saying much. People generally don't want to be pulled into making what can only be their personal taste into an argument of standards. it is.

It doesn't matter what I say, I could tell by the way people were offended by my comment that if I said something I was just going to get flamed, so no point in opening my mouth.

How much 'flaming' goes on in this thread? I didn't think anyone felt uncomfortable making arguments in support of their opinions here.

They more or less operate in their own niche. My question was, in their genre, who are underrated in comparison? If a group is overrated then the overrated aspects are the praised aspects. So I asked for other girl groups with those kinds of qualities live. They're vocalists, primarily, but not a ballad group. They have fun and live out the music on stage. They seemed perfectly, wholly at ease on stage from the start even as rookies. No stiffness, no stumbles.

Obviously their live performances are not about 'walking while singing'. There's a reason they've enchanted people watching Immortal Song who didn't know them from before. There's a nerve there.

But yeah, they don't stand perfectly still like most k-ballad singers so to each their own.

Top Bottom