• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT6| Thank You for Love

milkham

It is. Now getting some water and sugar (not pun intended) back to my system.

Will write after dinner but it's going to take a while since I have to write it on my phone.

I was at a BTS show here in new york a while back, (the one with the death threat tweet) and I saw security guys cracking open water bottles and shooting streams of water into fan's mouths because they were stuck standing in that crowd for so long.

llehuty

I think I will digest this in parts, because it's going to be really long.

Part 1: The uninteresting stuff

The "convention"
Ok, sorry if I begin to negative but this was a fucking joke. So, 3 days ago, we get the info about this mysterious convention of an event called kcon. The place for the convention has room for 500 people at the same time. They decide to divide it in two sessions (one in the morning, other in the afternoon), and let people in as soon as people leave it, to give a chance to visit it. There is also mysterious fanmeets that nobody knew when were happening (I believe at the end it was only BTS and the two actors invited, so whatever)

For some really dense reason, they decided to only allow 500 people in, and not replacing them, so a total of 1000 out of the 19000 of people that buyed tickets for a thing called KCON.

This information was given to people at around 2pm... After I had been there waiting for 5 hours... When I was at around 20m from the door, and the last 500 had just entered. A mess.

Quite disappointed because that's one of the points of the rest of kcons and I believe everyone can get access to them with a ticket.

Conclusion: I want my 5 hours of waiting in a queue listening to "my oppa is better than yours", plus some ocassional rain to make it even more enjoyable.

The preconcert
So, of course, while I was wasting 5 hours in a queue that went nowhere, there was a queue for the pit (my ticket was for pit). But apparently some people had been there already for three days with thermic tinfoil type of sheets and everything, so whatever.

It was also raining so I said fuck it, and went to have lunch with three french girls that were next to me that were on the sane camp (aka SHINee fans). After that I could have gone to the pit queue, but I said fuck it again, and went back to my appartment to change my wet socks and rest for a bit. I went to the queue around 2.5 hours before the concert began and 30 min before the gates opened. I went without my backpack, because they always end up bothering me during concerts rather than helping. I also went without my digital camera, because I somehow broke it in the morning and now doesn't work. So yeah... My videos were taken with my crappy phone...

2 hours of queue and 3 security checks later and I'm inside the venue, and holy shit it actually looks like a good place, with two people between me and one of the stage corridors (at the end it wasn't that good, they rarely went that far).

Conclusion: Despite a passive approach for queueing for the pit, I ended up with quite decent conditions.

Part 2: The concert... in my next post

llehuty

Before I go to part 2, I forgot to mention, that I got some goodies from fans. I got one cheesy slogan in an A4 from I.O.I France, or something like that. I also ended up with a banner for support for Leetuk (the MC), and one for Onew which is completely in Hangul and I have no idea what it says. I also bough a godawful Shinee lightstick, I would have happily taken one for f(x), but their fans from france are cheap bastards and were selling this plastic bars with chemical luminiscent that activates when you crack them (they probably have a name, but I think you know what I'm talking about).

Part 2: The concert

So, the venue was actually kind of good, all the sittings were reasonable and with decent angles. The stage had an extension in the shape of a 5, that occupid almost all the floor, which makes almos everyone relativately close to one part of the stage (although the last part was heavily underutilized).

All these idols looked so fucking perfect in person. It's probably all makeup, but I found myself finding almost everyone good looking.

The concert theme
So, surprisingly, the concert had a theme? Some of the interludes were talking about the historical relationship between of Korea and France, they hihlighted one old woman that must be the ambassador of south korea in france or something (she hilariously got some loud cheers).

There was one special stage where they performed a couple os OSTs from french movies.

Leetuk, the MC
So, I'm not very familiar with SuJu (and definitely, not this guy) but he was actually kind of good? He was charismatic and had a good balance between sticking to the script (we were having simultaneous french subtitles on the stage screens, which was quite neat) and some improvised parts, like some hilarious exchange with him and Key and him asking Zico to improv a rap (which was awful, but I guess nobody there really cared). I never felt like he was annoying or boring, which is not something I say very often (the cringey gayo MC sections).

Concert Intro: k-pop version of Arirang

So all the groups were out to sing this song, and f(x) was with krystal despite what some people in the queue were claiming. Of course she gets her first closeup in the big screen and she has her glorious bitchy resting face, which redeemed the whole thing and made me cackle, with people giving me weird looks (the first of many).

Part 3: The actual performances... in the next post

llehuty

Part 3: The performances

Block B

So, I was almost sure that I.O.I were going to open, but I guess they were distributing the girl and guy groups as best as they could. So Block B was ok, I guess. I'm not really fan of the group. The performances were good, but I just don't care about some of their music. HER had my hyped, and the couple of "new" songs they performed were ok, but "Very good" and "Narilina" or whatever are just ew.

Their intro was the beginning of one of their last singles set to a video they recorded that same day in the morning in emblematic/typical places of France

Zico had some massive reactions from the crowd, to surprise of no one. They used the corridor I was in, and we had some funny Lineface (Taeil?) action pointing at our direction.

Rating: Overall enjoyable, I guess.

I.O.I

They had the shortest stage, with two ballads I don't care about and Pick Me Up, which was actually hype. No Dream Girls was so disappointing, but I guess they didn't habe time to rework that without Somi, so we just had two back to back ballads with them.just standing on the spot.

The public reaction was ok, there was some halfassing around my secrion, which triggered my really loud Pick Me up singing (which got me a couple of weird looks. Sohye was hilariously the one with the loudest reactions from the public.

The did their individual intros in french, which was so adorable. Some of them were actually nervous and Mina was super cute during it. Sohye did the classic "looking at my hand because I forgot the french semtece I memorized minutes ago", which feels like a very Sohye thing to do and pulled out some laughs from the public. Doyeon looked quite emotional for some reason. They apologized for Somi not being there (which got a big reaction from the audience) and Seojong said that next time we are going to see the 11 of them together on stage, which I don't know what that even means.

Unforrunately, they didn't use the section of the corridor I was in. The closeup game was a bit messy, but I could see Chungha and Yoojoung working the camera and Nayoung being perfect thanks to it.

Conclusion: Wasted potential, but still I.O.I!! And Nayoung is perfect.

________

I was palnning on writting everything today... But I'm actually struggling to keeep my eyes opened. So I guess I'll write the rest tomorrow morning, sorry guys.

Pendulum

It was also raining so I said fuck it, and went to have lunch with three french girls that were next to me that were on the sane camp (aka SHINee fans).

tumblr_inline_nb8okhAZMK1s5qdww.gif

All these idols looked so fucking perfect in person. It's probably all makeup, but I found myself finding almost everyone good looking.

tumblr_inline_nb8okhAZMK1s5qdww.gif

Unforrunately, they didn't use the section of the corridor I was in. The closeup game was a bit messy, but I could see Chungha and Yoojoung working the camera

One of the reasons why they're the best.

Grats on your K-Pop concert cherry popping.

Pendulum

Speaking of I.O.I, "Sejeong announces solo debut slated for early July"
Guess this is one of the solo/unit things previously mentioned post-Dream Girls.

Edit: Denied by Jellyfish.

---

[MV] Lovelyz(러블리즈) _ 나의 지구(Destiny) (Choreography Ver.)

Edit: Saw this while I was busy with something else, and thought someone posted it but on checking the thread it doesn't appear so:
The last special "Cheer Up" video (for reaching 35m views) - Twice Avengers

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Did he seriously just blatantly insult IU's self agency and then offer her a song? lmao what a douche

Edit: I can't get over this. Like seriously I've never seen such a backhanded, patronizing "offer" from one artist to another. He full on said she's like a trained animal with no thought or choice over what she does and then on top of that made himself out as being some kind of savior to the situation which is an insult to all the artists who have worked with her. Fuck that guy.

Pendulum

Who the hell is this guy anyway?

Korean R&B's rising star (said with honesty despite his IU comment). Wrote EXO's "Black Pearl" and VIXX's "Voodoo Doll" before releasing his own singles and featuring with others (e.g. Zion T., Dynamic Duo, etc) last year. Won "Best R&B and Soul Song" at this year's KMAs for "Pour Up" and currently has a 2-month old song sitting in the Melon Top 10.

But forget him. Here's NaMo.
Sz3N4Yu.gif
PeA5e7m.gif

eQzHmqk.gif
9F8WWJ1.gif

+1 bangless Nayeon

(grats on 40 million "Cheer Up" views, apparently beating the "Fastest 40 million Views For A K-Pop Group (Male or Female)" record previously set by SNSD's "I Got A Boy")

Makikou

I'm jealous for llehuty, I couldn't go because I only heard about it so late and would have needed time to save up money.

Just gotta keep hoping I can see BTS one day.

llehuty

Part 4: More performances

f(x)

This was really good, a shame Vic wasn't there though. They opened with 4 walls and Rum Pum Pum Pum Pum, with everyone singing along. It was all good vibes and people were really into it. And do you know who was on stage? GLORIOUS BACKUP DANCER!!! Bless you SM.

Then it was Amber's Shake That Brass, which is the ultimate eww and one of my most hated releases from last year, but I was singing along and jumping for some reason. The Taeyeon part was done by Chungha which was an amazing moment. This girl really knows how to work the stage and the camera. Good stuff (I still hate the song).

Then it was Luna's debut (which they made a big deal of being her first solo debut performance) and it was really good, the choreo is really good and she was so into it. They had one of this short talking segments between songs and she got super emotional (she switched to speaking korean, when she had been talking english the previous segment).

Speaking of the previous speaking segment, krystal was so out of character, smiling and laughing and hugging amber.

For closing, they did Hot Summer, which is one of my favourite f(x) singles and all those teenagers in the audience looked like they knew about it. They went through the stage section I was in, and goly shit, I had them like, at 5 meters or something ;_;, including GOAT backup dancer ;_;. Krystal is so stunning, that fucking perfect face. Krystal went back to her diva state for the closing talk saying ditectly to Amber she didn't want to talk when she was adressed, love this brat. Amber is a really cool MC, she was praising all the audience, apparently a lot of people were doing the 4 walls arm choreo, lol.

BTS

As expected, these were the most cheered group. So, I took 10 steps back as soon as I saw they were going to be the ones performing. Those fans are so crazy and loud. They performed Fire and Dope (ew) and Save Me and I need you (yesssss) and also another song that I never heard before and that they used to traverse all the sections of the stage for the delight of the fans, we got Rap Mon and the good looking singer that I don't even know the name around our area, spending some quality time playing the crowd there.

The security people were doing some serious WORK kicking out fangirls with huge cameras, which weren't allowed and I don't even know how they got them in. So sorry isuzu, but you will only get a few pics from the first couple of perf of some of the BTS fancammers (I think 2 of them looked korean, and it must really suck after going all theway there for that, but oh well).

I enjoyed their set overall, all of them were into it and sweating like crazy at the end. It was difficult getting into it with the constant yelling and screams for every single time the big screen showed a different closeup, though. Props to them though.

FTIsland

I was with zero expectations for this, but ended up also being really good, the whole group is quite charismatic and the singer was really giving it all interacting with the crowd. It also helps that they sounded really good. I think it was a nice change of pace, and although some people took this as the break to go for water, the ones that were still there were into it, jumping like maniacs.

Good stuff, will probably check their releases now.

Here there was a special stage, Luna performed with Taeil from Block B the Zico song that he released some months ago. It was a good performance, although I had to laugh at couple of times at Luna trying to get into the sad mood after smiling when he heard screams of "Luna unnie".

SHINee

WOW. Just WOW. So I already know that they are crazy good live, but WOW. I don't even know how that set didn't fall apart, taking into account Jonghyun wasn't there. The god tier dancing, the solid singing, even Minho was doing good (lol). Taemin was so fantastic and you could tell he was having a blast.

They began with Sherlock, which is one of my favourite k-pop songs and it was fantastic. They also did Lucifer (yesssssss), Why so serious (meh), this B-side they tend to perform a lot but I don't remember its name and View (yes). Rap god Minho spent some time around our part of the stage, he was really giving everything (I think his voice cracked a couple of times).

It was good, and people were into it with the fanchants and everything.

Closing
So after Shinee set, suddenly Dream Girls stsrts playing and I was losing my shit! But it was just a 30 sec clip while all the groups were coming out to say goodbye. They stayed for a while in the middle corridor, I run towards that area to have a closer look of I.O.I, since they never got to the area of stage I was close to. They looked so good and so happy, I screamed like a maniac "Nayoung Nayoung" and "Pinky" but none of them looked at my direction (except for the audience around me with their judgemental looks, smh). Then they decided to move to the part of the stage I was before in, I kept screaming at them as they were passing by, I went back to my original place and screamed a bit more. They looked so good, Seojong look at my direction, her smile is amazing. And I didn't get the Pinky hype before, but hot damn, she is pretty, and also Chaeyeon. I'm going to be legit mad when they disband the group.

Closing conclusions

That was sooooo goooood. I was so happy during the whole thing, just when it ended it hit me how tired I was, and my legs were hurting so much! I completely forgot about the stupid 5 hour morning wait. The voiceover of the arena said, see you on the next Kcon. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it did with the great response it had, and with all the tickets being sold out in 3 hours. Heck, even Shinee and Block B teased about doing solo concerts in Paris.

In any case, I hope kpop groups start coming more to Europe, there is areally passionate following in here. I would like to have more girl groups in here, but seeing the response Shinee and Bts got I can understand the "kpop is for girls" thing. In any case, bring ut on KCON 2017, hope we get some more k-pop gaf representation next time!

waiting for pics of french girls

Lmao, you are so thirsty.
They were ok.

Makikou

In any case, I hope kpop groups start coming more to Europe, there is areally passionate following in here. I would like to have more girl groups in here, but seeing the response Shinee and Bts got I can understand the "kpop is for girls" thing. In any case, bring ut on KCON 2017, hope we get some more k-pop gaf representation next time!

If it's happening i'm definetly coming all the way from Finland!!

Thanks for your posts!!!

No No Eul

Great write-up llehuty, thank you. Glad you had such a good time. Krystal's resting face! GOAT Backup Dancer! Anything to do with I.O.I! I'm pretty jelly, I can't deny. :D

Oh hey! F.T Island was like the first k-pop group I was really into in 2008/2009. They were super emo at first though, but I was living for it. I didn't know they were going to that concert too. They're pretty good. One of my fave k-pop albums is still "Cross & Change" their 3rd full album. But honestly I haven't been following them recently. I don't even know what they would've performed over there. SHINee really sounds hype too, I was going to SMTown in Paris in 2011 but unfortunately had to cancel last-minute. I was really bummed, I wanted to go see SHINee so badly. I was also really into Onew too lol.

Sounds like it was a nice concert, good to hear you had fun llehuty! Maybe you will actually see me there next time as well. K-pop!gaf gonna represent.

llehuty

If it's happening i'm definetly coming all the way from Finland!!

Thanks for your posts!!!

Sounds like it was a nice concert, good to hear you had fun llehuty! Maybe you will actually see me there next time as well. K-pop!gaf gonna represent.

Sounds like you had a freaking good time llehuty, glad for you ! Next time I'll come eh.
I live in France.

Yesss, just an amazing experience and totally worth it (for the ones that can afford it). Really hope you all can come next time.

Oh hey! F.T Island was like the first k-pop group I was really into in 2008/2009. They were super emo at first though, but I was living for it. I didn't know they were going to that concert too. They're pretty good. One of my fave k-pop albums is still "Cross & Change" their 3rd full album. But honestly I haven't been following them recently. I don't even know what they would've performed over there. SHINee really sounds hype too, I was going to SMTown in Paris in 2011 but unfortunately had to cancel last-minute. I was really bummed, I wanted to go see SHINee so badly. I was also really into Onew too lol.

I didn't know someone cared about FTISLAND in here. I'm not familiar with their songs, but two of them had the word freedom in their chorus (I'm assuming one of them was actually called Freedom). I will definitely check their third album.

llehuty

So, went to the local k-pop shop (that was full of people scraping for some godawful non official BTS merch) with the postconcert hype, and it was probably not a good idea. Bought Luna's mini, Oh My Girl's repackage and I.O.I.

I had to ask 2 times for I.O.I and the guy kept bringing me AOA stuff, lol.

don't hold your breath. BTS sold out in 10 seconds here and where are they????? fuckers >:
Well, maybe they don't want to tour this year. The thing is, KCON is an umbrella for a lot of groups, I bet there are plenty of groups wanting to get called for KCON.

isuzu

Well, maybe they don't want to tour this year. The thing is, KCON is an umbrella for a lot of groups, I bet there are plenty of groups wanting to get called for KCON.

for smaller groups it is indeed, specially for girl groups

there's a rumour going around that there's going to be a korean festival with a 3-day concert in august in Rio and I fucking hate Rio :( hope none of my faves show up

llehuty

for smaller groups it is indeed, specially for girl groups

there's a rumour going around that there's going to be a korean festival with a 3-day concert in august in Rio and I fucking hate Rio :( hope none of my faves show up

All your faves will go and you will have to deal with it.

Edit: Got Seunghee and Chaeyeon photocards, bless the photocard god.

No No Eul

So, went to the local k-pop shop (that was full of people scraping for some godawful non official BTS merch) with the postconcert hype, and it was probably not a good idea. Bought Luna's mini, Oh My Girl's repackage and I.O.I.

I also just got a copy of I.O.I's album. I wasn't expecting it to be quite so chunky! It's the biggest K-pop album I've bought by quite some margin. It's nice though, and came with three photo booklets so no complaints there.

I picked up Run Devil Run at the same time. I've been slowly building up my SNSD collection and I've been quite surprised by how ordinary the packaging for their older releases is. RDR is just a plain old DVD case.

(I also got AKB's latest single along with my precious voting slip which will most definitely be used to vote for anyone other than Sashihara "Enemy of All 48 Group Members" Rino.)

Pendulum

WHAT. YES. Don't know who Cheetah is but I'll take the first two
She won Unpretty Rapstar season 1.

---

EXID being EXID

---

lol Mina, who is known for not doing well at luck-based games, beat JYP and Wooyoung for a part in the JYP Nation song. (◕‿◕✿) M I N A B O Y S (◠‿◠)✌

---

Some Dream Concert videos:
April (feat. this year's best rookie, Sawori) - "Tinkerbell"
CLC - "Noh Oh Oh"
Special Stage with GFriend's Yuju, Oh My Girl's Seunghee, Red Velvet's Seulgi, I.O.I's Sejeong, Fiestar's Yezi - "One Dream"
Fiestar - "Apple Pie"
I.O.I - "Pick Me" + "Dream Girls"
Mamamoo - "You're the Best" + "Um Oh Ah Yea"
Seventeen - "Pretty" + "Mansae"
NCT U - "Seventh Sense" + "Without U"
Lovelyz - "Destiny" + "Achoo"
Hyomin - "Sketch"
Oh My Girl - "Windy Day" + "Liar Liar"
GFriend - "Glass Bead/Rough/Me Gustas Tu remix"
Special Stage with B1A4's Sandeul, VIXX's Leo and Ken, BTOB's Eunkwang and Sungjae - "Running Across The Sky"
Red Velvet - "Dumb Dumb" + "Ice Cream Cake"
T-ara - "Bo Peep/Roly Poly remix" + "So Crazy"
Special Stage with Seventeen - "Dance with Doc"
DJ Doc - "I'm A Guy Like This" + "Run To You"
VIXX - "Dynamite" + "Chained Up"
BTOB - "Remember That" + "It's Okay"
B1A4 - "Sweet Girl" + "It's Happening"
Taemin - "Press Your Number" + "Drip Drop"
EXO - "Call Me Baby" + "Love Me Right" (plus teasers for Monster/Lucky One)

Edit: Just realised there was no JYP acts whatsoever.

---

Is it possible they are not doing a summer song? I may be not uninterested.

Pendulum

Apparently KPop Twitter is going to jail... Any of you understand what is going on?

My timeline is flooded with it lol

A person who identifies themselves on Twitter as a Seventeen stan posted credit card info of a 5 Seconds of Summer stan and people bought stuff.

Top Bottom