• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT6| Thank You for Love

Pendulum

We never got a proper KARA send off. I'd like to see a final 4Minute mini-concert.

Still feeling...dunno...pissed/empty. I listened to, amongst others, 2009-2011 4Minute releases every single day when I went through some tough shit a few years back. It was going to happen sometime, but this is sudden. I'll be drinking and listening to their discography tonight.

Pendulum

Looks like Jellyfish's new girl group is a 9 member group.
First teasers for "gx9"
2M2bM4V.jpg
iHhzWqL.jpg
CrfsVZZ.jpg

roaSone

DIA are not fit for this concept at all. Also, that song would have been 10x better by GFriend ... because there would be no cringy rap parts at least.

Selane

I don't blame him for going after Yooa.

yooa14.gif

But if it were me I'd probably stroll over to the audience and casually insert myself between Binnie and Arin.

Though the funny thing about this is that Yooa's brother is actually a 1Million member too.

Selane

I need to make an effortpost about OMG. I haven't really cared about any groups since the Great Collapse of 2014ish when pretty much all of the groups I liked fell apart or had bad member changes(Nine Muses, Hello Venus, Kara, etc). I remember when OMG released Closer last year, I thought that it was good and liked the fact that it sounded a lot different than normal, but that was it. For some reason just a few days ago, I decided to actually do some research and actually listen to some of their music. And it turns out their last mini had some awesome songs on it like Liar Liar and Step by Step. Windy Day from the repackage is awesome too. But it's not just a matter of having good songs, they just have a different feel to me than other groups do.

Like, their choreography is soooooo much better than any other girl group's. And that wouldn't even matter if they didn't put so much energy into every performance. There are certain other unnamed groups that debuted in 2015 as well that are already lazy as hell during non-televised performances. But yeah, their music feels different too; Closer was a good start, and Windy Day is weird as hell in an awesome way. Looking at the song credits, it looks like they're getting their music from outside Korea which is probably a good thing as far as song quality is concerned, and it makes things less generic sounding as well. Hell, even their outfits tend to be really good.

Also, it sounds weird but they seem to be getting more attractive over time, like their stylists are actually capable of learning, unlike most groups. Binnie was always cute, but they seem to have realized that Arin looks really cute with her hair up, JinE looks much better with her hair cut and dyed and without the awful bangs she used to have, etc. Mimi and YooA are good too, now they just need to figure out what they want to do with the other 3, Team Generic(the less people that have long brown hair, the better, imo).

Anyway, the moral of the story is that OMG is awesome and I'm glad there is a group that I legitimately like and care about for the first time in several years.

tl;dr: Oh My Girl are the saviors of Kpop

vanty

Yeah I'm almost with you 100% except my OMG awakening was a few weeks ago instead of days. They're so good. Make sure you see them killing it in suits as well.

Anyways I finally got around to checking out the Younha x Yeeun song aaaand it's pretty goddam underwhelming.

llehuty

Oh my girl is amazing. I even bought they debut album in a heartbeat last year. They had a unique sound from the get go. Really solid dicography so far.

And speaking of the outfits, I don't like their Windy Day outfits. I know what they are going for, but the sleeves are just too noisy and makes the choreography not look as good as it should.

And those boots they got for Liar Liar with the painted wheels on the boots are ugly...

But those do set the group apart, I guess...

Wabi

Neo Member
Oh shit, I finally got authorized, didn't think it'd ever happen.

Hi guys, I've been lurking on this thread for around 3-4 years now. I like your content.

My fave groups atm are Girl's Day <3, AOA, WJSN, APink, EXID, Red Velvet, OMGirl, Twice and Dal Shabet.

roaSone

Hi guys, I've been lurking on this thread for around 3-4 years now. I like your content.

My fave groups atm are Girl's Day <3, AOA, WJSN, APink, EXID, Red Velvet, OMGirl, Twice and Dal Shabet.
Welcome sir, congratulations for making a good first impression with your faves. :>

llehuty

So this talk about Oh My Girl got me thinking... Where are the stellar (no pun intended) girl group debuts of this year? Apart from I.O.I, we are almost half way in and there isn't even a trace of groups with even half the appeal and/or success of Twice, Gfriend or Oh My Girl (in this thread or elsewhere).

I guess YG's girl group, Pledis Girls and Jellyfish girls have a chance, but this first half has been a bit lackluster in that department.

Welcome and damn, 3-4 years? That's some high level lurking! Also, your faves are a very eclectic bunch.

Welcome Bojmir!

Yes! Oh My Girl, I've really grown to really like them to the point that I almost wanna name them my favorite girlgroup (besides Dal Shabet duh). Every release since Closer has been so strong. From music to styling and choreo, just really perfect. Hope they can keep going like this.

And llehuty that's true. When it comes to girlgroup debuts this year has been quite dry. Cosmic Girls had loads of potential but left us disappointed for the most part. Things are better on the boygroup front with Astro, KNK and I guess that new SM group. In my opinion it's mostly KNK that is the saviour of k-pop group debuts this year. Let's see what the second half of this year will bring, it seems p101 has been pushing some companies to debut their trainees. Star Empire is also trying with their trainees.

Peru

OMG ain't all that. They're ok though

So this talk about Oh My Girl got me thinking... Where are the stellar (no pun intended) girl group debuts of this year? Apart from I.O.I, we are almost half way in and there isn't even a trace of groups with even half the appeal and/or success of Twice, Gfriend or Oh My Girl (in this thread or elsewhere).

Well the huge success of new (if not 2016 new) groups like Twice IOI and Gfriend with decent results for Lovelyz sort of overshadows that. The message we're left with this year is not "lackluster year for new gil groups" but "stellar fucking year for new girl groups, taking over, generation shift"

llehuty

OMG ain't all that. They're ok though

Well the huge success of new (if not 2016 new) groups like Twice IOI and Gfriend with decent results for Lovelyz sort of overshadows that. The message we're left with this year is not "lackluster year for new gil groups" but "stellar fucking year for new girl groups, taking over, generation shift"
Yeah yeah, but Gfriend and Twice were already big last year, they are now riding on their amazing debuts.

No No Eul

I need to make an effortpost about OMG. I haven't really cared about any groups since the Great Collapse of 2014ish when pretty much all of the groups I liked fell apart or had bad member changes(Nine Muses, Hello Venus, Kara, etc). I remember when OMG released Closer last year, I thought that it was good and liked the fact that it sounded a lot different than normal, but that was it. For some reason just a few days ago, I decided to actually do some research and actually listen to some of their music. And it turns out their last mini had some awesome songs on it like Liar Liar and Step by Step. Windy Day from the repackage is awesome too. But it's not just a matter of having good songs, they just have a different feel to me than other groups do.

Yeah, Pink Ocean is great. Easily my most listened to K-pop album of the year so far. It didn't make a huge impact on me first time around but I found myself drawn back to it again and again. Knock Knock and I Found Love are particular favourites.

Where are the stellar (no pun intended) girl group debuts of this year?

But talking of Stellar though, they're doing the crowdfunding thing again.

For $1703.00, you can get yourself a Stellar hug pillow, but for a mere $255.50 you can hug Stellar for real. That doesn't seem quite right somehow.

Pendulum

Praying for f(x) because the other groups are, for sure, dead.

The comments do point out that f(x) is currently recruiting for its Japanese fanclub, so signs are positive (despite Victoria in China pretty much all the time and Krystal looking like she's been sick of it all for years).

---

And speaking of Oh My Girl:
Jiho did well as expected against the, I think, overhyped eating skills of Mina. Momo should have been there though - Dahyun and Tzuyu ate boringly.

---

Edit:
For $1703.00, you can get yourself a Stellar hug pillow, but for a mere $255.50 you can hug Stellar for real. That doesn't seem quite right somehow.
Ahahahaha
I guess it's more because the pillows won't protest the actions of the guys that are going to shell out for them.

roaSone

I had some feedback where most people don't understand the point of that new JTBC's eating show, what did you think about it Pendulum ?

vanty

Rainbow was one of a few groups that signed with a Chinese agency/label about a month ago, so I don't think they're as close to death as one would have expected.

Selane

I'm surprised they signed with anyone, you'd think that after experiencing the glum reality that is the ultimate fate for most groups, they'd want to get the hell out of the industry altogether.

Pendulum

I had some feedback where most people don't understand the point of that new JTBC's eating show, what did you think about it Pendulum ?

I haven't watched all of it because it's 3 fucking hours long, but it's not going to be for everyone, just like mukbangs in general. I wouldn't usually watch a mukbang, but there's something about idols eating (hence the eating gif spam we had earlier in this or the previous thread). The unedited format (I am not sure if they are staying with that going forward, or they do a live and then edited version) needs to change - like seriously cut down on the amount of talking. Let them eat and let's move on with our lives.

roaSone

I haven't watched all of it because it's 3 fucking hours long, but it's not going to be for everyone, just like mukbangs in general. I wouldn't usually watch a mukbang, but there's something about idols eating (hence the eating gif spam we had earlier in this or the previous thread). The unedited format (I am not sure if they are staying with that going forward, or they do a live and then edited version) needs to change - like seriously cut down on the amount of talking. Let them eat and let's move on with our lives.
Aight, I'll give it a shot when I have 3hrs to waste.

How did my girl Namjoo do?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If all of OMG were on Hyojung's level they would be awesome. As it is, they're a nice group with 3 cool songs and great choreo.

Top Bottom