• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT6| Thank You for Love

luso

Watched the Tokyo Dome "Best Live" concert, I was pleased with it.
The broadcast didn't have the transition videos (only one, plus intro) and the encore, so the 2 hours were missing the 3 last songs (encore) and maybe some 20 minutes in total.

The original set list
B4aogQ7CMAAGJm4.jpg

It may be missing a few good songs but it's still a strong set list.
The pattern was more or less the usual, with those powerful songs and dances, at the start, finishing with a ballad. Then, the cute stages, with the train and classic Kissin You et al, and the members roaming around the venue in carts to wave the crowd closer. It's done also to put some "happier" mood after all the songs performed before. It ended with the ballads and the famous ITNW ballad version (encore was not shown).

So the first part had some good stages, specially the Run Devil Run - TOP - The Boys - Reflection - Genie - Bad Girl section.
A praise (again) for the Show Girls - Paparazzi - Chain Reaction, also a great stage.

Sound wise I can't tell much since it was a standard stereo source. I know from the fancams almost all were sang live (and as usually with backtrack, but ballads, specially ITNW were all more raw). Some tweaking was done, necessary for the broadcast (leveling sound, no reverberation, etc.) so only if you are paying more attention, or already heard the fancams you can know easier which parts were live.

Better editing that the 1st concert, you can see better the group formations and the overall dance, only a few times they went back to that habit of too many cuts. I don't know if the future Blu-ray will have the same editing.

The girls worked hard for this, the ones saying they "half-assed" it are wrong. They maybe weren't perfect but you don't notice much any minor flaws unless you are very attentive (by its nature, editing also "helps" on this matter). They had also to rearrange some songs as Jessica is absent now and adjust choreo, as well presenting new songs and their dances (Show Girls and Chain Reaction).
All had the chance to shine, with probably Sunny more prominent now (Sunny overworked with so much to prepare and do at daily basis), Taeyeon really enjoying the performances and special Seohyun who shone on the first part, she also had plenty of focus on this broadcast, and she really grew up perfomance-wise, she's no longer awkward doing sexy or fiercer dances, I can say that she's now a good performer, those musicals are helping a lot.

Here some Tiffany

Niks

Reflection should have been on it's own. Otherwise, great setlist. GAF favorite, the great escape is such a great song. Glad it was included.

Personally, I didn't like the cages part. Even if it's on for a short while, it blocked the view and looked awkward on the TV broadcast.

Will buy the blu-ray.

llehuty

The problem with last SNSD concert is that the setlist is half assed and boring. I mean, there is no one single special stage or solo. Seems like a missed opportunity having the Tokyo Dome with all those fans and not doing anything special for them. The only thing exclusive about the show are the interlude videos.

Also, some transitions were bad. Hoot one was particularly awful. It's a bit depressing also realizing that most of their best material was released more than 3 years ago.

No No Eul

Oh yeah good call, I do like that one. I can't wait for the glorious return of AOA Black tomorrow feat. The Visual To End All Visuals, Half Angel Youkyoung.

It still kinda blows my mind that Youkyung's visuals or lack thereof is written into the very narrative of the group. It's pretty harsh.

—

[BREAKING NEWS]

FNC Entertainment re-evaluates AOA's hierarchy system.

ibuKWOWy3Iunit.jpg

luso

The problem with last SNSD concert is that the setlist is half assed and boring. I mean, there is no one single special stage or solo. Seems like a missed opportunity having the Tokyo Dome with all those fans and not doing anything special for them. The only thing exclusive about the show are the interlude videos.

Also, some transitions were bad. Hoot one was particularly awful. It's a bit depressing also realizing that most of their best material was released more than 3 years ago.

I know you aren't particular fond of SNSD. We agree to disagree.

ramyeon

Whee In from Mamamoo featured in a re recording of Standing Egg's "The Sun Hurts". Good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53VfYvzcajY

There's a solo version without the rap on the single too, which is even better.

Performances from Mamamoo's fan meeting:

Gentleman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCtXeL3gpto

Piano Man (Remix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waN8Xt4oxU8

Love Lane
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4PBxZgpphE

Hi Hi Ha He Ho (Mamamoo Only Version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txcmpcP8Ehc

Real Lady (Swings Cover)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9oM2yL6m4k

Pink Panties (Wha Sa's Blurred Lines cover)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOtUSQWI--c

1) Jackson won the Male Rookie Award (Variety Show) for Roommate (and BGM played to get him off stage).

2)Bae Jong Ok won the Female Rookie Award (Variety Show) for Roommate. Youngji wasn't even nominated. WTF.

1. Not surprised.
2. How the shit did that happen.

I know most of the awards are just done pretty facetiously but common, even thinking about it I wouldnt really expect her to win, but be nominated for sure. Jong Ok getting it was some pure "we got a duty to promote this person" nonsense.

llehuty

I know you aren't particular fond of SNSD. We agree to disagree.

Thank you for adressing any of the points I made in my post. Oh wait...

And BTW, I like SNSD, I just don't like most of their recent releases (from 1st Japanese album onwards). From the last 2 japanese albums I like Beep Beep, Animal, Reflection, Flyers and that's it, while I like pretty much every song in the 1st one. I just want them back to releasing good music, that's all.

You can keep shielding them 24/7 and disregarding the opinion of not hardcore sones though.

It was a greatest hits concert, i did'nt expect anything special from it, it's not exactly half assed, rather safe bet. That's my main dislike of the concert itself, although i figure something probably was prepared and left behind after what happened with Jessica.

And BTW, I like SNSD, I just don't like most of their recent releases (from 1st Japanese album onwards). From the last 2 japanese albums I like Beep Beep, Animal, Reflection, Flyers and that's it, while I like pretty much every song in the 1st one. I just want them back to releasing good music, that's all.

You can keep shielding them 24/7 and disregarding the opinion of not hardcore sones though.

If you only liked those songs out of the 2 japanese albums then your tastes have clearly changed, both records with their ups and downs are a mile away better than a lot of the korean stuff combined.

ramyeon

This year was pretty great for music, too hard to narrow it down so I'll just post my favourite releases, these are ones I enjoyed enough to play over and over and over again throughout the year.

Beenzino - Up All Night
Epik High - Shoebox
Ha:felt - Me?
IU - Flower Bookmark (Meaning of You was one of my favourite tracks of the year) & Sogyeokdong (Possibly my most played track this year).
Juuno - SHIFT
Nell - Newton's Apple
Standing Egg - Us and all the lead up singles as well as their 36.5 mini.
Thornapple - Abnormal Climate
Kim Sawol X Kim Hae Won - {Secret}
Lalasweet - Your World
Roy Kim - Home
Mamamoo - Hello & Piano Man
Saebyeok - Rise From the Ashes
Seo Taiji - Quiet Night
Akdong Musician - PLAY
Neon Bunny - It's You
Oh Hee Jung - Set Adrift and Remix album
Younha - What Becomes of My Feelings? (I think the English title was something stupid like Wasted)
Jang Ki Ha and the Faces - Heart of Man
Jang Beom June - Volume 1
Toy - De Capo
Fromm - Under the Daylight Moon
10cm - 3.0

If I had to pick to complete albums that represent the best of 2014 for me it would probably be IU's Flower Bookmark remake album and Toy's De Capo.

llehuty

It was a greatest hits concert, i did'nt expect anything special from it, it's not exactly half assed, rather safe bet. That's my main dislike of the concert itself, although i figure something probably was prepared and left behind after what happened with Jessica.

If you only liked those songs out of the 2 japanese albums then your tastes have clearly changed, both records with their ups and downs are a mile away better than a lot of the korean stuff combined.

Yeah, I got the feeling that they had to spend plenty of time reworking the choreo for 8 members and maybe they didn't get enough time to work in the solos and special stages.

Also, I don't think 2nd and 3rd japanese album are comparable to their 1st one. And regarding the korean side, albums have always been quite bad, but at least the singles were rock solid back then. I will admit that I could be having a different opinion if either MrMr or Holler were good songs.

giri

Yeah, I got the feeling that they had to spend plenty of time reworking the choreo for 8 members and maybe they didn't get enough time to work in the solos and special stages.

Also, I don't think 2nd and 3rd japanese album are comparable to their 1st one. And regarding the korean side, albums have always been quite bad, but at least the singles were rock solid back then. I will admit that I could be having a different opinion if either MrMr or Holler were good songs.

Was holler the worst title track released this year?

I mean, that was embarassingly bad :| Particularly live. I must have caught it live 6 or 7 times? and ugh. It was rough.

Please soshi. More Run Devil Run. Less ... what ever the fuck Holler was.

Hokuten

Neo Member
3rd Japanese album had some of my favorite SNSD tracks: Karma Butterfly, Lips, and Everyday Love. I think that makes it a pretty good album. Supernova and Catwalk aren't bad either. While they had lots of hits in Korea, IMO the album quality is better in the Japanese releases .

neoism

Korean of the year.......….......................Taeyeon

Kpop singer of the year...........................Taeyeon

Most gorgeous Korean 2014...................Taeyeon

Bes group................................................SNSD

Bes sub unit ............................................TTS

cuteness overload....................................Sunny

Bes manager 2014...................................fany

shitting on yo favs since 2007..................:p

<3

luso

I had my comments earlier, I chose to focus mostly on the positive things, you focused the negative things, what's new?
It's a compilation concert, focus on the groups and the group's songs, they didn't released anything solo in Japan. 1st Japanese Tour had them as the Japanese discography was short (only 1st album), with 2 more albums in the bag and a few singles it's understandable they scrapped, it would cut the flow plus add one hour to the concert.
To me, overall, 1st>3rd>2nd but there are more good songs than those four on the 2 last albums.

Pendulum

Was holler the worst title track released this year?
It wasn't great back in 2007 either.

----

Quoting llehuty for a new page:
2014 MBC Gayo Daejaejun / 2014 MBC &#44032;&#50836;&#45824;&#51228;&#51204;
h1_title.png

Date: Wednesday, December 31, 2014 8:55 KST (MBC )
Local time in your city
t1420026900z0.png

MC: SISTAR's Soyu, Girl's Day's Hyeri, MC Jun Hyun Moo, actress Lee Yoo Ri and MC Kim Sung Joo

Artists:
SNSD
Jung Hyung Don
Defconn
Big Byung (VIXX N & Hyuk, BTOB's Sungjae & GOT7's Jackson)
GOT7
BTS
VIXX
SHINee Taemin and Minho
2PM
TVXQ
B2ST
INFINITE
EXO
Red Velvet
A Pink
B1A4
Sistar
AOA
Secret
Hyosung
CNBLUE
Teen Top
Lim Chang Jung
Soyou x Junggigo
Fly To The Sky
Ailee
Lovelyz
Boyfriend
Mamamoo
Sunmi
Tae Jinah
Planet Shiver
Huh Gak x Eunji
Hong Jin Young
Hyorin x Jooyoung
4Minute
BTOB
Crush
Dynamic Duo
Girl's Day
KARA
Zion T
Lucky J’s Jessi (Jessica H.O) x Hyorin x Ailee
cr. reddit

And TS has confirmed that there is going to be a Hyosung solo stage at MBC. Aw yisss. All our prayers were heard. Looks like MBC's is effortlessly being the best gayo once again.

ramyeon

Super comprehensive review of the Korean music year in process here. Lots of inspiration for stuff to listen to not discussed in these circles

http://www.hellokpop.com/review/2014-in-review-day-1-introduction-and-best-album-art/
Good stuff. Lots of indie love. Not sure about Ha:tfelt as the runner up for Electronic/Dance album of the year though. Odd choice imo, as great a mini as it was there are a lot more deserving in that genre. Especially since it isn't purely an electronic or a dance album.

Pendulum

Best K-Pop Album That Wasn't K-Pop
Dress to Kill - After School

Best K-Pop Album Of The Year Until They Release 2015's Best K-Pop Album Of The Year As A Foursome
Red Light - f(x)

Best Rookies That Weren't Managed By SM Entertainment
The Moos - Mamamoo and late entry Sonamoo

Best Comeback
Up & Down - EXID

Best Lyrics
Ireon money jeoreon power
Geugeotman ttaragada

Best Mini Albums Made By Artists Temporarily Released From JYP's Basement
Full Moon - Sunmi
Me? - Ha:tfelt

Worst Performance At Acting Sad After A Member Lineup Change
Taeyeon

You've Had Over A Year Of Self-Reflection, When Are You Coming Back?
Primary

Other songs/albums repeatedly spun on my playlist, in no particular order:
Sugar Free - T-ara
Something - Girl's Day
Red - Hyuna
Red Light - f(x)
B.B.B - Dal Shabet
Sogyeokdong - IU
Good Luck - Beast
Danger - BTS
Up & Down - EXID
Yum Yum Yum - Lip Service
Brown Eyed Girls - Hush
Happiness - Red Velvet
Zotto Mola - Gary
Hug Me - Crush
Catallena - Orange Caramel
One More - Fiestar
Back - Infinite
Yanghwa BRDG - Zion. T
No Make Up + entire "REDINGRAY" album - Gaeko
Amor Fati + entire "Shoebox" album - Epik High
How Do I Look + "Up All Night" mini album - Beenzino
"Midnight" mini album - Crucial Star
"Reform" mini album - Humming Urban Stereo

Eldren

Nice lists, Ramyeon and Pendulum. I keep forgetting about Ha:tfelt, that album was so good. I wish more idols would try solos like that.

Edit: Also seeing Lip Service up there just reminded me that I completely slept on their later single Too Fancy which I only recently heard but I love it. Bipa is too good.

In other news, one of today's special stages is Chanmi, Hayoung and Joy performing Adult Ceremony. Make sure you tune in, uncle fans.

roaSone

I'm just gonna type random songs/albums which I played over and over during the year.

AKMU - PLAY (full)
FEMM - Femm-Isation (full)
Red Velvet - Happiness
Epik High - Shoebox (full)
Hong Jin Young - Cheer up
Mamamoo - Mr. Ambiguous
Lovelyz - Girls' Invasion (full)
Song Ji Eun - Don't Look At Me Like That
Younha - What Becomes Of My Feelings
IU - Flower Bookmark (full)
IU - Sogyeokdong
San E & Raina - A Midsummer's Night Sweetness