• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West & Jay-Z present: Watch The Throne

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Tokubetsu said:
No I.D. kinda got snubbed. Primetime is fire, this should have been on the regular release.
Got bumped out in favour of bringing in That's My Bitch I believe.

Oneirology is a really good album. It really, really is. AOTY potential? Sure. But it got boring for me as well. Didn't really jive or connect with me after I got over how good the production. It's more respect than like from me.

TBH I only gave it like 1 or 2 spins because I got bored.

Recon

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Got bumped out in favour of bringing in That's My Bitch I believe.

Oneirology is a really good album. It really, really is. AOTY potential? Sure. But it got boring for me as well. Didn't really jive or connect with me after I got over how good the production. It's more respect than like from me.

TBH I only gave it like 1 or 2 spins because I got bored.

I felt the same at first, but i revisited it a couple of times, and it clicked with me. Its definitely a more chill album tho. I guess i just can't put an album with so many tired Jay verses a head of Oneirology.

This is a fantastic album. I'm not calling it AOTY ( it's mine so far...but I have to remember what I've heard this year) yet but damn the first few run throughs are just whoa. I had this scrunched up face on the entire time through...sweet baby jesus indeed, Frank.

Song by Song thoughts.

1. No Church in a while 4/5
The fact that this song just starts and gets shit rolling is awesome. I like the beat and Frank's chorus is solid. The verses are a bit plain but I will say this many times through I'm not a guy who looks for deep lyrics..I'm a beat man. But nice solid intro. Like Enzo(??) said earlier not a fan of those outros.

2. Lift-Off 2.5-3/5
This song starts like it's gonna be epic, I don't hate the chorus but godammymanHovandYeezy, the verses are trash...like wat? I said I was a lyric guy but damn atleast try. The epic outro save/redeems this song. Probably the first drop from my rotation in a few weeks.

3.Kampsy in Paris ( That's the new title now..dealwithit) 5/5
The beat knocks hard as shit. I started spazzing when this came on...holy fuck son. I can see the other rappers trying to rap on this. This beat probably can make the worst rapper seem great. It's that awesome. The verses are okay. but who cares. SWAG SWAG SWAG

4.Otis 3.5/5
It's a solid song. Not great not bad. The beat is is underrated. The evrses are a bit lazy from Jay. Ye has some nice shit on here and fits more. Solid.

5.Gotta Have it 4.5/5
Fuck yall. The Neptunes are one of my favorite producers ( N.E.R.D Stan here). Jay again lags a bit here and it's notciable. It another song that had me spazzing at time.

6.New Day 3.5/5
Not a big fan of this track on first listen. Jay's verse is great though. I found the beat to be a bit boring...probably gonna get murked for saying that.

7. That's my Bitch 4/5
I loved the song then and I am glad to have a mastered version of it now. I like that Kayne still says something something. Mumble SWAG. Jay's verse still sucks IMO.(/Still mad that Camel looking mofo pulled Be).

8.Welcome to the Jungle 4/5
I'm one of the few people who can stand Swizzy. This is a great beat here...although Swizzy adlibs are a bit annoying. Jay kills it on this song...goddam.

9.Who Gon Stop Me 4/5
as a guy who thinks Dubstep is dumb this song surprised me. This sounds like some shit that was on LASERS but done right (i.e if you are gonna do techno shit then you cannot be talking about political/emo shit, Lu), didn't like the switch up first but then I stopped being stupid. Lazy lyrics tho. This has hit written all over it.

10.Murder to Excellence 5/5
No words. The beat. The lyrics. The everything. HNNNNNNNNNNNGGG. Both come correct here and damn it works out.

11.Made in America 3.5/5
I like the chorus...well the part where he goes oooooooohhhh ( got the holy ghost son). pretty forgettable song otherwise. This is a song that would normally be produced by Alex Da Kidd with some broad singing about dreams or some shit so once again Ye does somehting that has been done but better...still pretty meh song.

12.Why I love You 4/5
This shit is loud as fuck. The verses are pretty good. but I wil ltake this time to tell you fucks to check out Mr.Hudson's last album that shit was awesome. Dude is great..I can see this song getting a bit boring later but then again it does every right..except the abrupt ending.

13. Illest Mofo Alive 4/5
Someone tell ye stop making songs with stupid shit like the begining of this song. Runnaway was pretty bad because of your chocobo shit...luckily this is easily fixed.. also the song is damn great if only for the chorus at the end of it...goddam.

14.Ham 2.5/5 (Beat is a 5/5)
Stupid song. Hard as fuck beat with shit lyrics from two dudes who don't fit. The beat is so fucking good though.

15.Primetime 4.5/5
No I.D blessed Big Rapist with some classic beats. Glad to see he had some left. Dude is too good. DAT piano loop. Verses are pretty standards though. Jay we know you are rich as fuck.

16. The Joy 3.5/5
Not my type of song. I realise that it's good though. My my cup of tea. Probably the best few verse ironically. It might grow on me though.

Overall 4-4.5/5

This album was an enjoyable ride. I'm not gonna compare it until it's been out for a while but damn it's really good. I'm not the biggest Jay-Z fan so I wasn't as hyped as others but this is a great album. Classic? we will see. Some songs will remain in the rotation for a while though. So much swag on some tracks, son.

To be honest, I forgot that Oneirology dropped this year.

I haven't revisited that album in awhile now that you mention it. Production was on another level now that I think about it. That's not to say that this album had pretty good production.

I've calmed down from my more hyped stance an hour ago. Am I ready to call Watch the Throne AOTY? I'll have to spin it a few more times and see how it holds up in a few months.

Koodo

Banned
I generally don't like rap/hip-hop/etc, but listening to some tracks from this album just out of respect for Kanye's flaw free production work.

Well, I also tolerate Kanye's voice (and his body etc). Jay Z is so ugh though.

Dreams-Visions said:
No less than 5 Grammy's for Kanye this year.

No less.
Gerl, the same year as Adele? I mean, I'm not saying she deserves a rain of Grammys, but let's be real now. The awards will unfortunately be so predictable.

Listened to the whole album.

Ni**as in Paris is horrible in my opinion, but I enjoyed Murder to Excellence and New Day a lot. Why I Love You is good too.

Frank Ocean's inclusion was pretty good too.

One thumb up. A solid album, but not spectacular in my eyes.

DominoKid

Knux-Future said:
12.Why I love You 4/5
This shit is loud as fuck. The verses are pretty good. but I wil ltake this time to tell you fucks to check out Mr.Hudson's last album that shit was awesome. Dude is great..I can see this song getting a bit boring later but then again it does every right..except the abrupt ending.

so so true. it needed one more blast of that beautiful hook to ride the album out on. it's like a rollercoaster that gets to the top of the last hill....and then turns off right as its about to drop.

still my favorite song though.

Recon

Banned
Kanye will win 1 grammy most likely. No way he will win Album of the year, i see him maybe winning HipHop Album tho.

It's all a matter of taste anyway. I'm not the biggest Kanye fan, and Jay-Z's been sounding tired post-American Gangster, so the production alone can't carry them past Oneirology which hits it out the ballpark in every area IMO. Everyone is free to feel differently about that so w/e.

HAM, Otis, Lift Off, and N****s In Paris though? Ugh, get those away from me.

Who Gon Stop Me? MOAR of that please.

PBY

Banned
spindashing said:

I haven't revisited that album in awhile now that you mention it. Production was on another level now that I think about it. That's not to say that this album had pretty good production.

I've calmed down from my more hyped stance an hour ago. Am I ready to call Watch the Throne AOTY? I'll have to spin it a few more times and see how it holds up in a few months.
I'm fine calling it now- WTT AOTY... I think (thought?) MBDTF was the album of the decade tho

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
spindashing said:

TOO LATE. Caught dat shit in the stream bro. You got nowhere to hide.

Koodo said:
I generally don't like rap/hip-hop/etc, but listening to some tracks from this album just out of respect for Kanye's flaw free production work.

Well, I also tolerate Kanye's voice (and his body etc). Jay Z is so ugh though.

Gerl, the same year as Adele? I mean, I'm not saying she deserves a rain of Grammys, but let's be real now. The awards will unfortunately be so predictable.
Oh shit we got Koodo in this thread? Awww yeah <3

But real talk if Kanye doesn't win less than 2 grammys, I will have even less respect for the establishment than I already do. So many robberies, Kanye better get his dues.

I feel like this album is weak, especially when you look at who's involved. Another mainstream rap album that will be called a classic now and be forgotten in a month.

enzo_gt said:
TOO LATE. Caught dat shit in the stream bro. You got nowhere to hide.
You and I both know I was hyped like a motherfucker in there. :lol

But, although my tastes may change the low point of the album will always be HAM. Banger, but I just can't connect with it.

Other tracks that I can't vibe with:

- Lift Off
- Otis

Something's off with That's My Bitch too, but I like it more than the two I listed.

thekad

Banned
Why I Love You...

2q0n1y0.jpg

Recon

Banned
WrathOfOtaibah said:
I feel like this album is weak, especially when you look at who's involved. Another mainstream rap album that will be called a classic now and be forgotten in a month.

Just like My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.

ReconYoda said:
Kanye will win 1 grammy most likely. No way he will win Album of the year, i see him maybe winning HipHop Album tho.

The I don't even want to imagine the inevitable Kamye meltdown if he gets snubbed again.

ReconYoda said:
Just like My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.

Yes let us use a different album to defend this one.

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy definitely had better production and songs on there, a lot of Watch The Throne is overproduced and doesn't have a memorable verse in it. Its just alright, nothing more nothing less.

spindashing said:

But, although my tastes may change the low point of the album will always be HAM. Banger, but I just can't connect with it.

Other tracks that I can't vibe with:

- Lift Off
- Otis

Something's off with That's My Bitch too, but I like it more than the two I listed.

GET OUT OF MY BRAIN

I love No Church In The Wild, but then Lift Off, N****s In Paris, Otis all in a row? Cotdamn, momentum lost. Then Gotta Have It which I like, then New Day which is...ehhh, then That's My Bitch which is OK. I don't really get back into it until Who Gon Stop me which piledrives my face.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
spindashing said:

It's a grower, but it's terrible from what you expect from Jay and Ye. Dirty pleasure to listen to cause I shat all over it when it came out. Young Guru said it best, that track came out at the wrong time. Made Ye and Jay look like they were feeding off of the Luger style while it was hot. Negative reception got to them and they re-did the album twice. Ill take that apology

Tracks I can understand people disliking:
Lift Off
Welcome To The Jungle
Made In America
HAM

Tracks that I cant understand anyone disliking:
Niggas In Paris
Gotta Have It
Murder to Excellence
Illest Motherfucker Alive

Alternatively, the low points and high points of the album.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
WrathOfOtaibah said:
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy definitely had better production and songs on there, a lot of Watch The Throne is overproduced and doesn't have a memorable verse in it. Its just alright, nothing more nothing less.
So you're saying WTT is overproduced but MBDTF isn't?

Recon

Banned
Stat Flow said:

Yeah, i havnt listened to WTT enough to say if it was over produced, but MBDTF was definitely over produced and horribly mastered.

Also, to the people saying that there "aren't any memorable verses" on Watch the Throne, give it awhile. The album's only been out for four hours and how long has My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy been out?

Stat Flow said:

Both are overproduced. I never said My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy wasn't overproduced, I just said it had better overall production which you chose to ignore.

spindashing said:
Also, to the people saying that there "aren't any memorable verses" on Watch the Throne, give it awhile. The album's only been out for four hours and how long as My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy been out?

I think I (and most people) meant there aren't any STAND OUT verses. A lot of them sound like Jay is out of breathe, and Kayne is rambling. IDK, maybe it's just me.

iavi

Do people not appreciate that throb? I'm suprised "Nig**s in Paris" is catching so much of a case. I can't wait to hit the streets with that shit tomorrow.

Hieberrr

And did kanye really get Mr Hudson to sing that song? Why didn't he just use the original dubstep song that sounds exactly the same?

Net_Wrecker said:
I think I (and most people) meant there aren't any STAND OUT verses. A lot of them sound like Jay is out of breathe, and Kayne is rambling. IDK, maybe it's just me.
Oh, stand out verses.

Well, I look at it in a lyrical perspective. I need to take time to digest what Kanye and Jay-Z are actually saying, and after a few spins as well as whenever rapgenius supplies us all with its own lyrical interpretations I'll be set. I'm only soaking in the production, choruses, and some of the one-liners here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom