• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West & Jay-Z present: Watch The Throne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korey

Jay needs to do an album with Eminem, with Kanye producing instead of actually being on it.

I'm confident just having Em there would push Jay to try harder. It would be the best album of all time.

Wanda/Wander said:
When I said goodbye in the Black Culture I appreciated the fact the fact that you didn't want me to go.

*winks
While I may have been with NegroGAF/Black CultureGAF since its inception, it's glory days are behind it sadly.

ReconYoda said:
Not nearly as bad as Kanye's lines on that Beyonce song from her latest album.
Yikes.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Korey said:
Jay needs to do an album with Eminem, with Kanye producing instead of actually being on it.

I'm confident just having Em there would push Jay to try harder. It would be the best album of all time.

Maybe 10 years ago.

ReconYoda said:
No, he hasn't delivered in quite some time. He makes extremely poppy rap that gets eaten up by the masses. I think Ye has something incredible in him, but he needs to take off the designer shades, and seriously write something personal. I wish 808's was a hiphop album, because i feel like that could of been something great if he just would of been in a rap state of mind.

WAT.

New Day is about his future son... what is personal to you? Him describing his first wet dream?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ReconYoda said:
I swear, people think anything Ye does is suppose to be the greatest shit ever. Fact is, he is a mediocre rapper, but can produce his ass off. He is charismatic which helps too. He has one classic and a couple good album under his belt, which is more than most rappers. I like Ye, i just wish he stayed closer to his CD/LR sound, and not Graduation/MBDTF. I guess he is in a different place now, but i don't have to like the sound that place produces.
Surprise surprise: Yeezy stans are Yeezy stans because of the whole package, not just the rapping. I guarantee you if he couldn't produce, Yeezy Stan numbers would be a tenth of what they are now, as would the relative amount of success he has gained.

And yeah criticism is healthy. It's what kept the MBDTF threads healthy.

iavi

Jay needs to wrap it up. He's more of an annoyance on WTT than anything. He's rich as shit and has B by his side with a solid list of hits under his belt. Mission accomplished. Nothing left to prove homie.

ReconYoda said:
I swear, people think anything Ye does is suppose to be the greatest shit ever. Fact is, he is a mediocre rapper, but can produce his ass off. He is charismatic which helps too. He has one classic and a couple good album under his belt, which is more than most rappers. I like Ye, i just wish he stayed closer to his CD/LR sound, and not Graduation/MBDTF. I guess he is in a different place now, but i don't have to like the sound that place produces.
I wouldn't say Ye has the best deep verses or anything, but really I love his witty lyrics. CD/LR is just filled with lyrics that'd make me laugh.

Recon

Banned
ProtoCents said:
WAT.

New Day is about his future son... what is personal to you? Him describing his first wet dream?

I mean a whole album, one song does not make it a personal album. Its like you can't read.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Miri said:
Jay needs to wrap it up. He's more of an annoyance on WTT than anything. He's rich as shit and has B by his side. Mission accomplished. Nothing left to prove homie.
I thought this was the best Jay has been since the Black Album. (on first listen)

Recon

Banned
enzo_gt said:
I thought this was the best Jay has been since the Black Album. (on first listen)

So slightly better than a turd? Seriously, it would hard to be worse than Kingdom Come and BP3.

Tguy said:
I wouldn't say Ye has the best deep verses or anything, but really I love his witty lyrics. CD/LR is just filled with lyrics that'd make me laugh.
This. Kanye's not a Big L, a Lupe Fiasco, or a Nas.

But he has clever lines that keep his raps from being uninteresting.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ReconYoda said:
I mean a whole album, one song does not make it a personal album. Its like you can't read.
You should listen to MBDTF brah. Next to 808s, the most personal thing he's ever compiled.

Recon

Banned
Korey said:

Jay didn't even go that hard on that song. The original version of that song had Royce going way harder than Jay.

enzo_gt said:

Considering how good he was on American Gangster which was post Black Album, I think you need a second listen. He's using that same boring choppy out of breathe flow on MOST of his verses here. There are flashes of switching it up, but then he falls back into the same pattern.

zychi

Banned
ReconYoda said:
No, he hasn't delivered in quite some time. He makes extremely poppy rap that gets eaten up by the masses. I think Ye has something incredible in him, but he needs to take off the designer shades, and seriously write something personal. I wish 808's was a hiphop album, because i feel like that could of been something great if he just would of been in a rap state of mind.
kanyeshrug.gif

you call ye a mediocre rapper, and a better producer, then you want him in a rap state of mind? sounds like you dont know what you like.

MBDTF was extremely personal. i dont know what album you heard, but the dude got his bad personal issues out on 808s and got his media vs kanye issues out on mbdtf.

Recon

Banned
enzo_gt said:
You should listen to MBDTF brah. Next to 808s, the most personal thing he's ever compiled.
I listened to it the other day. It wasn't exactly that personal. It felt like generic rap 101.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Net_Wrecker said:
Considering how good he was on American Gangster which was post Black Album, I think you need a second listen. He's using that same boring choppy out of breathe flow on MOST of his verses here. There are flashes of switching it up, but then he falls back into the same pattern.
Maybe, but I was never a fan of American Gangster. Some of the production is good, and Roc Boys is one of my favourite Jay songs ever, but something about it didn't click with me with the rhymes.

Recon

Banned
zychi said:
kanyeshrug.gif

you call ye a mediocre rapper, and a better producer, then you want him in a rap state of mind? sounds like you dont know what you like.

MBDTF was extremely personal. i dont know what album you heard, but the dude got his bad personal issues out on 808s and got his media vs kanye issues out on mbdtf.

Please read carefully. I say he is a mediocre rapper, yet i know he has something good in him, he has potential to be more. I say i wish 808 was a rap album, because thats the kind of thing i wanted from him, but him rhyming. MBDTF was just ye bitching about shit. Maybe I'm asking too much of Ye, maybe i should just go back to listening to CD and remembering the feeling i got from that.

zychi

Banned
ReconYoda said:
What world do you live in? Official threads aren't about being a love fest. If that was true, the Transformers thread would of been a lot fucking different lol.
apparently i live in the world where you just said that "before the album came out it was a ye/jay suckoff fest"

yeah, because the album wasnt out yet. its no longer a suckoff fest because the album came out.

transformers thread turned to shit because transformers are shit, and the fans still havent realized this almost 30 years since the toy became a cartoon.

do you really not understand this? or are you trying to be a terrible troll? either way i'm done with this because you live in some weird ass world where you don't know what you just said two posts prior.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ReconYoda said:
I listened to it the other day. It wasn't exactly that personal. It felt like generic rap 101.
Okay now I'm SURE you didnt listen to the same album as me. Religious contemplation, the stages of depression, the height of ecstasy collapsing into pain, pain invoking mania and pain turning to acceptance.. All of these themes went over your head?

Koojay said:
Hip-hop died with Pac.
Echoing spin here: holy fucking shit.

Recon

Banned
zychi said:
apparently i live in the world where you just said that "before the album came out it was a ye/jay suckoff fest"

yeah, because the album wasnt out yet. its no longer a suckoff fest because the album came out.

transformers thread turned to shit because transformers are shit, and the fans still havent realized this almost 30 years since the toy became a cartoon.

do you really not understand this? or are you trying to be a terrible troll? either way i'm done with this because you live in some weird ass world where you don't know what you just said two posts prior.

You are a strange person. I don't think english is your first language because you obviously don't understand simple english.

Recon

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Okay now I'm SURE you didnt listen to the same album as me. Religious contemplation, the stages of depression, the height of ecstasy collapsing into pain, pain invoking mania and pain turning to acceptance.. All of these themes went over your head?

Echoing spin here: holy fucking shit.

I think you were pulling too much out of that basic shit. Honestly, MBDTF is not deep. It has a false sense of complexity. I could go on, but really, i dont hate the album. Maybe I'm expecting too much, and Ye just can't give anything that complex.

Edit: Im just listening to these bonus songs, if they took off Lift off and added IMA and Primetime to the album, it would of been a lot better.

zychi

Banned
spindashing said:
Thank you kindly.

And American Gangster was definitely Jay-Z's apex lyrically. It all went down hill from that with glimpses of gold here and there.
really? i thought blueprint 3, all though it was more mainstream, was better then the AG soundtrack. it felt like jay was trying to push things out that didnt work. i still think his last 3 solo albums are garbage, but bp3>AG>KC

dunno how i would rank his older albums, id have to think about that for awhile, but the last three are definitely the worse imo.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
ReconYoda said:
I think you were pulling too much out of that basic shit. Honestly, MBDTF is not deep. It has a false sense of complexity.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking this when I read " Religious contemplation, the stages of depression, the height of ecstasy collapsing into pain, pain invoking mania and pain turning to acceptance"
KuGsj.gif

I never meant to come off as an asshole ( My english is asscheeks at time exspecially when I type). As I understand that people can have opinions and I really respect a lot of them it's just that some of them seem really nitpicky or like they come from people who went into it not liking it.

like you expect Jay to talk about his money and Ye to talk about superficial shit. But you condemn the album for weak lyrics when it was never gonna be about that in the first place. I expected hard ass beats witha few fun punchlines and well I got that.

But hey opinions right? Never meant to offend my bad. It's hard to get that across without coming off as an asshole,my bad.

Recon

Banned
Stat Flow said:
I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking this when I read " Religious contemplation, the stages of depression, the height of ecstasy collapsing into pain, pain invoking mania and pain turning to acceptance"
KuGsj.gif

Yeah, i kinda laughed reading that.

zychi said:
really? i thought blueprint 3, all though it was more mainstream, was better then the AG soundtrack. it felt like jay was trying to push things out that didnt work. i still think his last 3 solo albums are garbage, but bp3>AG>KC

dunno how i would rank his older albums, id have to think about that for awhile, but the last three are definitely the worse imo.

0_____________0

We need to take this to Gaf-Hop cause you ain't just say BP3 > AG

On topic though, Who Gon Stop Me -> Murder To Excellence is so good. I wish the rest of the album felt like that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ReconYoda said:
I think you were pulling too much out of that basic shit. Honestly, MBDTF is not deep. It has a false sense of complexity. I could go on, but really, i dont hate the album. Maybe I'm expecting too much, and Ye just can't give anything that complex.

Edit: Im just listening to these bonus songs, if they took off Lift off and added IMA and Primetime to the album, it would of been a lot better.
Sequencing certainly gives the illusion then.

You have to be blind to miss the religious contemplation bits though, as Ye has been building up to that for a while. *kanyeshrug* That and I thought it was fairly obvious that the album started off on a high note and slowly got deeper and darker as it went on. That isn't a mistake.

Most of us Kanye stans have some sort of self awareness, but there are some posters here that are convinced that they are the only voices of reason. They just drag down the conversation with arguments that we had in the MBDTF thread, the 808s thread, the Graduation thread, etc.

It's the same. fucking. arguments.

zychi said:

The only thing that I thank BP3 for is introducing me to J. Cole.

Nothing else. It's just ... not good in comparison to this other albums.

Recon

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Sequencing certainly gives the illusion then.

You have to be blind to miss the religious contemplation bits though, as Ye has been building up to that for a while. *kanyeshrug* That and I thought it was fairly obvious that the album started off on a high note and slowly got deeper and darker as it went on. That isn't a mistake.

The album started on a great note, but in quality of songs it went down. Dark Fantasy and Gorgeous were great fucking tracks. But then...Runaway? I loved the theme of Blame Game, but honestly, the verses were kinda whack.Good effort tho.

enzo_gt said:

MBDTF isn't deep

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ReconYoda said:
The album started on a great note, but in quality of songs it went down. Dark Fantasy and Gorgeous were great fucking tracks. But then...Runaway? I loved the theme of Blame Game, but honestly, the verses were kinda whack.Good effort tho.
Power? Hell of a Life? So Appalled?

I really don't know what to say when you say you were disappointed by the verses on Blame Game.. At all. Probably the realest shit Ye has ever wrote since Family Business and Never Let Me Down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom