• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West & Jay-Z present: Watch The Throne

Status
Not open for further replies.

zychi

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:
I think I (and most people) meant there aren't any STAND OUT verses. A lot of them sound like Jay is out of breathe, and Kayne is rambling. IDK, maybe it's just me.
its you.
King Hov, I'm exactly what the fuck you think
11 in a row, Bill Russell rings
Michael Jordan swag, yall think Michael Jordan bad
N*gga I got 5 more rings than Michael Jordan had
Elvis has left the building now I'm on the Beatles ass
Niggas hear Watch The Throne, yeah it's like the Beatles back
Bey Bey my Yoko Ono, Rih Rih complete my family
Imagine how that's goin look front row at the Grammys

You ripped out my heart and you stepped on it / I picked up the pieces / Before
you swept on it / God damn this sh*t leaves a mess don’t it / Sh*t feelin’ like death don’t it / Charge it to the game / Whatever’s left on
it / I spent about a minute / Maybe less on it / Fly pelican fly / Turn the jets on it / But first I shall digress on it / Wasn’t I a good king?

‎/ We ain’t even spose to be here / Since we here / It’s only right that we be fair / Psycho, I’m liable to be go Michael, / Take your
pick / Jackson, Tyson, Jordan, Game 6 / Got a broke clock / Rolleys that don’t tick tok / Audemars that losing time / Hidden behind all these
big rocks / I’m shocked too / I’m supposed to be locked up too / If you escaped what I’ve escaped / You’d be in Paris getting fucked up too /

Prince William's ain't do it right, if you ask me 'Cause I was him I woulda Married Kate and Ashley

sunglasses and advil. last night was mad ill

Knux-Future said:
..........wa...I mean..it's.

I have nothing
idk, it's far and away one of the weaker tracks on the album for me. But I have a proclivity for going against the grain in music. For instance, my favorite tracks off the album may generally be greeted with apathy or, worse yet, with contempt by you lot. My top 4 are No Church in the Wild, Who Gon Stop Me, Made in America, and Illest Motherfucker Alive :p

zychi

Banned
ReconYoda said:
None of those are that great, couple that with Jays lame delivery, not memorable.
i'd like to see what you think is great and memorable. a few example, if you dont mind.

throw an artist's name in there too.

spindashing said:
Oh, stand out verses.

Well, I look at it in a lyrical perspective. I need to take time to digest what Kanye and Jay-Z are actually saying, and after a few spins as well as whenever rapgenius supplies us all with its own lyrical interpretations I'll be set. I'm only soaking in the production, choruses, and some of the one-liners here and there.

Of course later listens let you digest a verse fully, but I'm the type of listener who appreciates when the flow of a verse BECOMES a part of a beat to the point where I feel like "holy damn, I need to rewind that" on first listen. I'm not even talking about verse complexity or depth, I'm speaking strictly about how it SOUNDS working with the beat. I never felt that need to rewind on this album....except for the switch on Who Gon Stop Me.

thekad said:
Lyrics? I'm still lost in the amazing production.
See, exactly. I need time to digest it all. I couldn't call any of the lyrics memorable at this point.

A month/week from now? Sure.

Net_Wrecker said:
Of course later listens let you digest a verse fully, but I'm the type of listener who appreciates when the flow of a verse BECOMES a part of a beat to the point where I feel like "holy damn, I need to rewind that" on first listen. I'm not even talking about verse complexity or depth, I'm speaking strictly about how it SOUNDS working with the beat. I never felt that need to rewind on this album....except for the switch on Who Gon Stop Me.
Oh. I feel where you're coming from actually.

Baby Milo said:
i agree neither of them were really going hard lyrically

its just rambling about being rich and swagging out on most tracks

Who gives a shit. Not every fucking rapper has to be deep and shit. Besides if you are listening to a Jay-Z and Kanye Album expecting otherwise then you are doing it wrong.

Some of you just like to find shit wrong with everything. Just listen to music you like and stop expecting everything to be perfect. Just enjoy it and quit critiquing everything. and if you cannot enjoy it then don't fucking listen to it.

iavi

spindashing said:
See, exactly. I need time to digest it all. I couldn't call any of the lyrics memorable at this point.

A month/week from now? Sure.

This is the best way to digest all music, really. The star albums will still shine out, and the hot potatoes will have cooled. It makes the judging game a whole lot easier.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
WrathOfOtaibah said:
Both are overproduced. I never said My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy wasn't overproduced, I just said it had better overall production which you chose to ignore.

I was asking you a question. I never actually put those words in your mouth. A simple answer would have been fine. And I never said that overproduction equates to worse production, so no, I didn't choose to ignore that.

Baby Milo

Knux-Future said:
Who gives a shit. Not every fucking rapper has to be deep and shit. Besides if you are listening to a Jay-Z and Kanye Album expecting otherwise then you are doing it wrong.

Some of you just like to find shit wrong with everything. Just listen to music you like and stop expecting everything to be perfect. Just enjoy it and quit critiquing everything. and if you cannot enjoy it then don't fucking listen to it.
no criticisms allowed now?

people were having a discussion and i chimed in with my opinion.it's ok right brah?

No critiquing lyrics in hip hop now guys.this guy lol.

thekad

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:

Why I Love You. Ni**az in Paris, too.

Nert

Knux-Future said:

So you can only discuss music if you happen to love every aspect of it?

dagZ

tumblr_lpdngwYecJ1qmrydqo1_500.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
thekad said:
Lyrics? I'm still lost in the amazing production.
Me too, The only things that REALLY stood out immediately were the Mary Kate line, and Ye's line about his mother.

Seriously, on my first listen at points I found myself tuning out completely to the lyrics and just enjoying the beat.

Knux-Future said:

Most were looking forward to the album(like me) and yes we have the right to voice our disappointments. Nobody expected perfect, I and I'm sure others here expected an album we would enjoy and so far we didn't enjoy it as much as we hoped.

Sorry to disappoint you with our opinions, I hope you're ok.

Baby Milo said:
no criticisms allowed now?

people were having a discussion and i chimed in with my opinion.it's ok right brah?
I think it's because there was a general trend in the thread that this album was something that came out of God's asscheeks and we were only so lucky to hear it and when the criticisms came, it sort of was reminiscent of a fly in your soup; you want to enjoy your soup yet the fly's rolling in the noodles like an asshole.

I welcome all the criticism though, it's one of the strongest means of learning new things from other people's perspectives.

thekad said:
Why I Love You.
Favorite song on the album.

Baby Milo

spindashing said:
I think it's because there was a general trend in the thread that this album was something that came out of God's asscheeks and we were only so lucky to hear it and when the criticisms came, it sort of was reminiscent of a fly in your soup; you want to enjoy your soup yet the fly's rolling in the noodles like an asshole.

I welcome all the criticism though, it's one of the strongest means of learning new things from other people's perspectives.
i like the album a whole lot actually

i don't even mind the lyrics for what they are but i think it's a valid criticism and i agree with them.

Korey

spindashing said:

Isn't the better analogy that you expected the soup to be really good but when you tasted it, it was mediocre?

zychi

Banned
spindashing said:

nah, a lot of people were ripping lift off as soon as the album was available. but saying theres no memorable verses on a ye+jay album? that's just incorrect. nothing that's going to jump into mainstream and have white moms saying it, but there's a bunch of memorable verses on here for a fan of rap.

Recon

Banned
I swear, people think anything Ye does is suppose to be the greatest shit ever. Fact is, he is a mediocre rapper, but can produce his ass off. He is charismatic which helps too. He has one classic and a couple good album under his belt, which is more than most rappers. I like Ye, i just wish he stayed closer to his CD/LR sound, and not Graduation/MBDTF. I guess he is in a different place now, but i don't have to like the sound that place produces.

spindashing said:

It's not even that serious.

It's like we're at a party and people are yelling "STOP HAVING FUN"

No one is seriously saying that this album is perfect.

iavi

"Illest Motherfucker Alive" sounds like it sampled a Zelda intro theme, AND I FUCKING LOVE IT.

And No I.D Dropped a damn history bomb with Primetime. Jesus, why was this not on the standard?

Recon

Banned
zychi said:
nah, a lot of people were ripping lift off as soon as the album was available. but saying theres no memorable verses on a ye+jay album? that's just incorrect. nothing that's going to jump into mainstream and have white moms saying it, but there's a bunch of memorable verses on here for a fan of rap.

This whole thread was a Jay/Ye dick suck fest until the album dropped, and then the biggest criticism was Lift Off. There is some memorable lines on the album, but honestly, Jay needed to retire a long time ago.

Wanda/Wander said:
It's not even that serious.

It's like we're at a party and people are yelling "STOP HAVING FUN"

No one is seriously saying that this album is perfect.
Yeah, it's something like that.

That's not to say people can't voice their opinions, though.

I still haven't listened to Lift Off in its entirety.

LIFT OFF, TAKIN MY COAT OFF, SHOWIN MY TATTOOS, I'M SUCH A SHOW OFF... So bad lol.

zychi

Banned
ReconYoda said:
I swear, people think anything Ye does is suppose to be the greatest shit ever. Fact is, he is a mediocre rapper, but can produce his ass off. He is charismatic which helps too. He has one classic and a couple good album under his belt, which is more than most rappers. I like Ye, i just wish he stayed closer to his CD/LR sound, and not Graduation/MBDTF. I guess he is in a different place now, but i don't have to like the sound that place produces.
no one is saying any of this. people enjoy kanye's music. we all know kanye isn't krs one. but people get hyped for his albums because theyve been consistently good for most people. plus he and jay work great together, so this album got hyped to heaven by rap fans.

when you're as arrogant as ye is, there's a reason people hype up his albums, he continually delivers.

iavi

Really, nobody is coming hard on this album, and that's blatantly obvious from my first listen-through. Which almost upsets me. I can't wait till a few hungry lyricists get their hands on these instrumentals, because they really are some of the best to hit the scene in a damn while.

Recon

Banned
spindashing said:

That's not to say no one can't voice their opinions, though.

LIFT OFF, TAKIN MY COAT OFF, SHOWIN MY TATTOOS, I'M SUCH A SHOW OFF... So bad lol.

Not nearly as bad as Kanye's lines on that Beyonce song from her latest album.

zychi

Banned
ReconYoda said:
This whole thread was a Jay/Ye dick suck fest until the album dropped, and then the biggest criticism was Lift Off. There is some memorable lines on the album, but honestly, Jay needed to retire a long time ago.
yeah, it was like that because its a JAY AND YE THREAD.

i'm not gonna go into a oddfuture thread and say how bad they suck.(they dont) i'm gonna talk about what i like and how awesome the stuff i like by them is.

do you not know how the internet works?

the VG side of gaf is still recovering from battlefield not being on steam. it's the end of the world according to pc users.

spindashing said:

That's not to say people can't voice their opinions, though.

When I said goodbye in the Black Culture I appreciated the fact the fact that you didn't want me to go.

*winks

Recon

Banned
zychi said:
no one is saying any of this. people enjoy kanye's music. we all know kanye isn't krs one. but people get hyped for his albums because theyve been consistently good for most people. plus he and jay work great together, so this album got hyped to heaven by rap fans.

when you're as arrogant as ye is, there's a reason people hype up his albums, he continually delivers.

No, he hasn't delivered in quite some time. He makes extremely poppy rap that gets eaten up by the masses. I think Ye has something incredible in him, but he needs to take off the designer shades, and seriously write something personal. I wish 808's was a hiphop album, because i feel like that could of been something great if he just would of been in a rap state of mind.

zychi said:

i'm not gonna go into a oddfuture thread and say how bad they suck.(they dont) i'm gonna talk about what i like and how awesome the stuff i like by them is.

This is not a "Ye and Jay Appreciate :D" thread, this is album discussion, and criticism is album discussion, fly in your soup or "stopping the party" be damned.

Recon

Banned
zychi said:

do you not know how the internet works?

the VG side of gaf is still recovering from battlefield not being on steam. it's the end of the world according to pc users.

What world do you live in? Official threads aren't about being a love fest. If that was true, the Transformers thread would of been a lot fucking different lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom