• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West & Jay-Z present: Watch The Throne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baby Milo

neptunes said:
No album will never be illmatic, reason? someone people will never let that happen.

It's ok to acknowledge other albums are good.
its been an hour

i bet you wont even like this album in 3 months

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
If I got Illest Motherfucker Alive tattooed on my back...that would be lame right? right guys?

WTT is a vapid, loud, overproduced snapshot of pop music in 2011. Some high notes but overall its just one played out old rapper trying to be relevant, and his biggest fan trying his hardest to pick up the slack.

That's My Bitch is crazy, last song is too.

JackEtc

Been sorta lurking this thread for a while. I love Kanye, College Dropout and Late Registration are two of my favorite Hip-Hop/Rap/Whatever albums, and I love MBDTF. Was always neutral about Jay-Z, never went out and got his albums though.

Thought Otis was meh, is this album worth getting and listening to, for all of you that are listening to it now?

JackEtc said:
Been sorta lurking this thread for a while. I love Kanye, College Dropout and Late Registration are two of my favorite Hip-Hop/Rap/Whatever albums, and I love MBDTF. Was always neutral about Jay-Z, never went out and got his albums though.

Thought Otis was meh, is this album worth getting and listening to, for all of you that are listening to it now?

Based on your avatar I'm gonna guess you'll love it. Otis doesn't represent the album at all.

DominoKid

WTT is so good! Why I Love You rattles my bones.

THANK-YOU-BASED-GOD.jpg

(dat F1 crossover post)

zychi

Banned
who gon stop me is gonna be a club banger/radio hit i think. dunno what theyre gonna do about the world holocaust tho. bass bangs hard.

The M.O.B said:
That happened to me before, I pre-ordered LASERS but iTunes wouldn't let me access it until the next morning. :/

It's kinda bullshit, I'm mad. What's the point of preordering a fucking download if you don't get it at the same time everyone else does? I understand when mix-ups happen and preorders of physical copies take longer to arrive, but this is pretty unacceptable.

Tokubetsu said:
I love HAM.
No amount of production could save H.A.M. imo (Busta remix is golden though). Glad it's only a bonus.

Still listening to the regular edition. Holding off full judgement but, daaaaamn, I think I actually like it :p

neptunes

zychi said:
who gon stop me is gonna be a club banger/radio hit i think. dunno what theyre gonna do about the world holocaust tho. bass bangs hard.
Yeah, I was wondering about that. I think that might be offensive to some.

Did they not see that? You don't just make holocaust comparisons lightly.

BigJiantRobut said:
It's kinda bullshit, I'm mad. What's the point of preordering a fucking download if you don't get it at the same time everyone else does? I understand when mix-ups happen and preorders of physical copies take longer to arrive, but this is pretty unacceptable.

ITunes can really blow chunks at times (i.e. most of the time)

Ashhong

listening now... No Church in the Wild.....this album is already so fucking good! those synths! Great production so far

zychi

Banned
anyone who used the ticketmaster download for the regular edition, how did you change the album name in itunes? doin it the normal way:
select all song-> right click->get info->change album.

doesnt work right. its 13 different albums for me, and i cant have that on my iphone.

Tokubetsu

Dreams-Visions said:
No less than 5 Grammy's for Kanye this year.

No less.

If he doesn't win at LEAST two, he got robbed. #realtalk #swag #woop

Noz is killing some of these tweets
https://twitter.com/#!/noz/status/100436832856178688

"Jay is trying harder than he has in a long time and sometimes even succeeding."

Ashhong

Dreams-Visions said:
and the mastering is what MBDTF should have been.

Yea this sounds really well mixed.

Only 2 tracks in and this album just has pure energy. I can't handle this!

zychi said:
anyone who used the ticketmaster download for the regular edition, how did you change the album name in itunes? doin it the normal way:
select all song-> right click->get info->change album.

doesnt work right. its 13 different albums for me, and i cant have that on my iphone.

Try also selecting "Part of a compilation? Yes"

The M.O.B

2004 was the last year a hip-hop album won the grammy for Album of the Year, that was OutKast for Speakerboxxx, 2012 better be WTT or MBDTF.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
First listen impressions:

No Church In The Wild
Frank Ocean did his thing on this, he suits the beat very well. Good intro to the album. The beat just builds and resonates so well. Deadpan delivery from both MCs help the song a lot. Jay came harder. Not a fan of the funky outro soundling like it's out of the Looney Tunes.
Jay 1 - 0 Ye

Lift Off
I kinda wish the instrumentation and the beat were pumped to 3x the volume they are currently like in the WTT documentary. The hook is very good, but Jay's verse ruins the song, he's trying to adapt his flow to the beat but he can't. I don't hate it as much as y'all but it is undoubtably the weakest link of the album. The beat flipping is dope as fuck. The ending of the song redeems it.
Jay 1 - 1 Ye

Niggas In Paris
HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT. BALL SO HARD BITCH BEHAVE. This beat fucking KNOCKS. THAT SHIT CRACK. THAT SHIT CRACK. THAT SHIT CRACK. Oh my god the Mary Kate and Ashley line is hilarious. Jay sounding hungry on this shit with that first verse, he steals the spotlight. The beat switchup at the end is dope. I'm fucking cooking to this shit right now.
Jay 2 - 1 Ye

Otis
This song knocks. Yeah we've heard it before, but it just bumps until it hits that peak of speed and lyrical excellence at the end. The rhymes just get stronger and stronger as the song goes on. Also, yeah I'm a sucker for back and fourth tracks so this is still one of my favourites on the entire album. FUCK A HOOK.
Jay 2 - 2 Ye

Gotta Have It
Oh my goodness the sample on this shit. This shit got that bounce to it. I am also a fucking sucker for back and fourth rap so I can't talk shit about this track at all. This shit planking on a billion. Very good decision keeping this short though.
Jay 3 - 2 Ye

New Day
Very soulful and atmospheric. Ye's verse.. holy shit. "And I'll never let his mom move to LA, and when she couldn't take the pressure.. now we all pray." Glad to hear this real talk song to break things up. Lives up to the hype of being the great song where both talk to their unborns. Beautiful to listen to. Production is absolutely stellar too. I like Ye's new trend of letting the beat just ride off, it suits this song so beautifully, giving moments to reflect. Funky outro ruins the mood though, ugh.
Jay 3 - 3 Ye

That's My Bitch
Not feeling the audio levels on this one. I feel the chorus is way too quiet compared to the leaks. Kind of disappointed really. Also cutting the chorus switch into Charlie Wilson short on the 3rd chorus is a heartbreaker, that's what made the hook so great, and it already wasn't in the first chorus. Just cutting the song short was a bad idea in general, in my opinion. Sounding awkward to me now. Jay's new bars sound weird to me, but that's probably just cause I've listened to this song 100x over.
Jay 4 - 3 Ye

Welcome To The Jungle
Damnit Swizzy, why must you bring your adlibs everywhere you go? Jay just went nuts on this song, kept the bars coming. In full agreement with Ye letting Jay doing his thing on this beat, because it's really well tailored to Jay's style. This is one of those good Swizzy beats #RARE.
Jay 5 - 3 Ye

Who Gon Stop Me
WHO GON STOP ME? WHO GON STOP ME HUH?! The beat goes on this. Was afraid of the whole dubstep idea but it turns out it's not really dubstep at all. Some influences, but not much. Not feeling the holocaust dubs over the beat for the hook. Ye went in on this beat, much more his lane anyways, as Jay can't really chop up his rhymes as well, but he still brings a solid verse. The switch up makes this shit absolutely MENACING.
Jay 5 - 4 Ye

Murder To Excellence
This beat is a fucking CLASSIC. Oh my god, that sample. I love Ye's hook too, and he absolutely destroys his verses. If people heard this and put it out there a long time ago that the album had a black empowerment vibe AND that it was a classic album, this is probably what they heard. And then the flip, oh god. It has to be stated that the flips on this album are fucking crazy, so organic. I fucking LOVE how the flip in this song differentiates the "Murder" from the "Excellence" without making it all cheesy, so fluid.
Jay 5 - 5 Ye

Made In America
Frank Ocean back again making me bop my head to "sweet baby Jesus." REAL different change of pace after Murder To Excellence. Not my favourite beat either, but that's only relative to how good the rest of the album is. Ye edges out Jay only slightly on this song, only because Jay's verse is so all over the place. Some patriotic ish going on in this, but I ain't even mad.
Jay 5 - 6 Ye

Why I Love You So
GOODNESS GRACIOUS ME THESE SAMPLES ARE FROM FUCKING OUTER SPACE. In combination with Mr. Hudson's vocals, my god. This song has that groove, that beat that moves with the lyrics so well. The atmosphere or feeling on this song is amazing. Jay with that hungry, open and honest flow like never before, damn. Wins by default cause there's no real good amount of Ye parts. This song is a masterpiece, all the pieces of what makes a good song come together so well with this.
Jay 6 - 6 Ye

Illest Motherfucker Alive
Another annoying intro, god damn. This beat is fucking TOUGH. I wish I was born in some hood or something so I had more street vernacular to describe how tough this beat is. Cause this shit crack. This shit is tough. Just rolls along as I bang my head to it. Ye's spazzing over the beat. And then at the end it goes all epic with the choir shit, cot DAMN. I'm with you guys, this is what HAM should have been, even though I'm in the minority that fucks with HAM.
Jay 6 - 7 Ye

HAM
Goes as hard as ever. Easily the most controversial song on the album. I have this weird stance on this song. I feel like it's a very bad song, but I like it a lot. Something about that choir in the outro and all the instruments pumping in rhythm at once makes it stick in your head and then you can't get it out. As far as verses go, Eli >>> *.
Jay 6 - 8 Ye

PrimeTime
Damn, No I.D. has been tearing up 2011. This beat is so left field compared to the rest of the album but its great. It's got this noir vibe to it that makes it so dirty to listen to. No doubt this beat is more suited to Jay, but Ye had some surprising chemistry with the beat. Good stuff.
Jay 7 - 8 Ye

The Joy
I didn't feel this song at first when it was a G.O.O.D. Fridays track, but it grew on me strong. Those Pete Rock beats will get you at one time or another. Just way too smooth. No competition at all, Ye takes the cake with this song.
Jay 7 - 9 Ye

General
Not a fan of the interludes and outros really. They sound wonky and out of place. I was expecting some of that badass electrostatic kind of intro from the WTT documentary, but we got none of that. Overall, I think it's a very solid album. Not very thematically solid, as previews kind of alluded to it being. It's more just a playground for Jay and Ye to rap in with few and far apart opportunities to open up and break up some of the bravado. Currently feeling 8.5/10 on my personal scale. All of the songs are good, there isn't a bad song on there, but the songs that are great stand out a lot, Niggas in Paris being one of them.

Ye and Jay both did their thing on here. I count a stronger showing from Ye on a track-by-track basis, but Jay definitely stood out more overall. Getting essentially 2 of the tracks all to himself helped, and really let him flex his muscle like he never has before. Jay was more consistent, and had that hunger that I haven't seen since the Black Album really. It's the best thing he's put out since then really.

Better than MBDTF? Well, can't tell off of a first listen, but I'm pretty confident that's a negative. Both are very good albums, so if we're talking relativity, then MBDTF is more of a cohesive musical experience to me. It's much more thematically sound, and overall I like the beats and the verses better. WTT has more lyrical moments yes, but the way MBDTF carries you through emotions and different stages of pain and ecstasy is what makes it stand out. It has everything that would define a modern classic. Deeper eaning, production, verses, proper track sequencing and jumping into new musical territory. I'm not so sure about the sequencing on WTT, but the mastering is definitely leagues ahead of MBDTF.

I'm not ready to call either album a classic, but I certainly feel MBDTF will hold up stronger over time. People said WTT sounded progressive, it doesn't really because the production is all over the place and in places sounds like renaissance of older sounds. Now MBDTF sounded progressive to me. I am biased because MBDTF came at pretty much the perfect time for a Ye stan like me who was going through pain with many, many parallels to the themes Ye touches on on MBDTF, but I still feel like it's a better overall package. Some of the production on WTT gives it a run for it's money though. We shall see over time, maybe I'll do a 180 on this in a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom