• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West & Jay-Z present: Watch The Throne

Status
Not open for further replies.

zychi

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:
0_____________0

We need to take this to Gaf-Hop cause you ain't just say BP3 > AG

On topic though, Who Gon Stop Me -> Murder To Excellence is so good. I wish the rest of the album felt like that.
i did, but yoda seems to be having some personal issues with his hate for my liking of music and not critiquing the shit out of it because "x has potential but doesnt deliver."

Recon

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Power? Hell of a Life? So Appalled?

I really don't know what to say when you say you were disappointed by the verses on Blame Game.. At all. Probably the realest shit Ye has ever wrote since Family Business and Never Let Me Down.

I loved the idea behind blame game, but really, it had the second most simplest verses on the album, the first being All of the Lights. Fuck, Lil B sounds good when you compare his work to All of the Lights. Blame Game is also ruined by Chris Rock at the end. While kinda funny, it makes the track take a weird turn.

Recon

Banned
zychi said:
i did, but yoda seems to be having some personal issues with his hate for my liking of music and not critiquing the shit out of it because "x has potential but doesnt deliver."

I restrain myself here, but ill call you on your idiocy in the Gaf-Hop thread.

The M.O.B

Empire state of mind was dope..................................until every radio, store, sports event, movie, everywhere they were playing that song, and im in Cali and that song was still ridiculous overplayed. I hate the song now :/

ReconYoda, other than Oneirology, what are your top album/mixtape picks for this year? Do you consider Watch the Throne amongst these albums?

The M.O.B said:
Empire state of mind was dope..................................until every radio, store, sports event, movie, everywhere they were playing that song, and im in Cali and that song was still ridiculous overplayed. I hate the song now :/

Missing the Nas feature :-/

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ReconYoda said:
I loved the idea behind blame game, but really, it had the second most simplest verses on the album, the first being All of the Lights. Fuck, Lil B sounds good when you compare his work to All of the Lights. Blame Game is also ruined by Chris Rock at the end. While kinda funny, it makes the track take a weird turn.
Blame Game is perfect how it is. Its not a song that you get on and flex your lyrical strength to try and prove you have a Nas flow, that's not the point of it, Ye's telling a story straight up, no dancing around words or anything. The simplicity and explicitness of it is what makes it one of the best Ye songs ever. AOTL is a straight up pop record carried by the beat, doesn't need to be lyrical at all either.

@The M.O.B. Completely agreed. Same goes for run this town, to a lesser extent.

Recon

Banned
spindashing said:
ReconYoda, other than Oneirology, what are your top album/mixtape picks for this year?

In no particular order:
* Section80-Kendrick Lamar
*LP3020-Start Your Own Rebellion
*Together/Apart-Grieves
*Covert Coup-Curren$y
*When Fish Ride Bicycles -The Cool Kids
*Watch The Throne-Kanye and Jay-Z
*Returnof4eva-Big KRITT
*:03 From Gold-The Illz
*House of Balloons-The Weeknd
* Nostalgia/Ultra-Frank Ocean
* Still Hotter Than July-Actual Proof
*W.A.R.-Pharaohe Monche
* Zero Heroes-XV
*Yesterday's Future-Laws
*Elmatic-Elzhi
*The Family Sign-Atmosphere

ReconYoda said:
In no particular order:
*Together/Apart-Grieves
*Covert Coup-Curren$y
*Returnof4eva-Big KRITT
*W.A.R.-Pharaohe Monche
* Zero Heroes-XV
*Yesterday's Future-Laws
*Elmatic-Elzhi
Amen.

overcast

ReconYoda said:
In no particular order:
*Together/Apart-Grieves
*Covert Coup-Curren$y
*Returnof4eva-Big KRITT
*W.A.R.-Pharaohe Monche
* Zero Heroes-XV
*Yesterday's Future-Laws
*Elmatic-Elzhi
I can respect this list. Zero Heroes impressed me for XV. Anyway, that's a gaf-hop discussion.

I loved this album, why aren't some of those deluxe songs on the album. Besides HAM they are all quality.

We'll see how it stacks in comparison to Ye's other albums in a few months time. I'd put it below MBDTF for now.

Ye isn't the best rapper, but he's solid. Couple that with his great production and it creates a damn good artist. IMO one of the best rappers of the past 10 years. He is consistent as hell, all of his work can be and is considered great by many people.

Throavium

9th Wonder mad? Yeah, he mad.

Screenshot2011-08-08at31040AM.png

DominoKid

9th salty cause Jay/Ye dont want his beats. It's aight I'd be salty if I couldn't get a beat on the musical event of the year either. If they asked him to be on the album it ain't like he's gonna say no.

Hell, I still don't know how he got on The Black Album. Threat fucking sucked lol.

Guru-Guru

Banned
ReconYoda said:
Kno doesn't really rap much on cl albums. His solo was pretty good anyways.
I'd agree that his solo album was competent-- the excellent production really carried it. A couple tracks were really bad, if I remember correctly "Graveyard" was one of them.

BeeDog

I'm not much for hip-hop/rap, but this album has some seriously dope tunes. My favorites so far are Niggas In Paris and Who Gon Stop Me Now. Fucking love fat beats.

Recon

Banned
charlie_l said:
I'd agree that his solo album was competent-- the excellent production really carried it. A couple tracks were really bad, if I remember correctly "Graveyard" was one of them.
Spread your wings and rhythm of the rain were both excellent tracks.

charlie_l said:

Graveyard is sick wat. dat grimey beat, a solid verse, and the sample at the end. "Really bad" is some hyperbole if I've ever read it.

CRS

Haven't listened to a single leak, snippet, or track from this. 'Bout to light it up and listen to this on a clean slate.

charlie_l said:
Yeah, his rapping isn't that great but he makes up for it and them some with his production.

I Wish I Was Dead is the best example of that.

DominoKid

just realized i've been listening to WTT for almost 5 hours. and the last 40 mins I've been going back and forth between WILY and IMF.

i should probably go to sleep

i've also decided that Jay killed IMF. such arrogance.

CRS

enzo_gt said:
Rhythm of the Rain was the only track I could listen to more than twice on that album.
:O

I wouldn't be surprised if Death is Silent turns out to be a better album than WTT.

enzo_gt said:
Rhythm of the Rain was the only track I could listen to more than twice on that album.
Miri said:
"Death is Silent" didn't stand the test of time at all, save for "Spread your Wings". I can't see it being stronger than WTT.

*clenches fists, and grits teeth*

I gotta get out of here.

Back to WTT discussion 'fore I Hulk smash.

iavi

ChldRebelSoldr said:
:O

I wouldn't be surprised if Death is Silent turns out to be a better album than WTT.

"Death is Silent" didn't stand the test of time at all, save for "Spread your Wings". I can't see it being stronger than WTT.

CRS

Miri said:
Different strokes. I think the same thing for MBDTF.

Death is Silent > MBDTF.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Miri said:
Yup. Same deal with Oneirology for me. Strong production, strong lyrical content (for Oneirology anyways), boring overall, does not stand the test of time or make any truly memorable tracks.

Believe me, good tracks, good music, but I accepted it as very good then decided to move on quite quickly with not much desire to re-listen.

iavi

ChldRebelSoldr said:
Different strokes.

Death is Silent > MBDTF.

I can agree with that, though; I wasn't the biggest fan of MBDTF. That one barely survived a solid play-through with me.

enzo_gt said:
Yup. Same deal with Oneirology for me. Strong production, strong lyrical content (for Oneirology anyways), boring overall, does not stand the test of time or make any truly memorable tracks.

Believe me, good tracks, good music, but I accepted it as very good then decided to move on quite quickly with not much desire to re-listen.

I felt like Oneirology was a much stronger album than DIS, but I ended up coming to the same conclusion as you did. I may revisit them in a while, but I've got no desire to atm.

Timedog said:
I have more hope for Kreayshawn's album.

I can't lie. The shit will probably be hype as fck.

Put Illest Motherf**ker Alive and Primetime in place of Lift Off and Otis, and that first half would be so much better. Then get HAM and The Joy (which I find boring and doesn't fit) off the deluxe version and I think I'd enjoy this more.

Alright, 3 1/2 listens is more than enough for today.

DominoKid said:
9th salty cause Jay/Ye dont want his beats. It's aight I'd be salty if I couldn't get a beat on the musical event of the year either. If they asked him to be on the album it ain't like he's gonna say no.

Hell, I still don't know how he got on The Black Album. Threat fucking sucked lol.
After listening to a bunch of tracks and not taking anything, Jay asked 9th specifically to do something with R. Kelly's "A Woman's Threat" and so he did it there on the spot. That's how that beat got on the album.

And yeah a bit of his opinion could be due to some jealousy.

nib95

Banned
Haven't really listened to much of the lyrics (what I have heard has been a mix of bad, average and decent) but so far the production on this album is simply sublime. Listening to the album first on my D5000's. Going to do Westone 4's after that, followed finally by my T1's.

nib95 said:
Haven't really listened to much of the lyrics (what I have heard has been a mix of bad, average and decent) but so far the production on this album is simply sublime. Listening to the album first on my D5000's. Going to do Westone 4's after that, followed finally by my T1's.
a Denon man. A good man. those cans are excellent for hip-hop, as I'm sure you're finding out. :)

nib95

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
a Denon man. A good man. those cans are excellent for hip-hop, as I'm sure you're finding out. :)

Yeap, juicy prominent mids with that strong bass presence. I'm going in order of soundstage, so as I change phones/IEM's hopefully I'll be able to pick out more from the music each time. The later listens being equally analytical as much as for fun (so I can micro analyse).

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Whatsup with the large amount of vocal samples? They get annoying, they fucking overdosed the album with them.

Natiko

Banned
I've listened to this shit six times already. Straight through, didn't skip anything. Not even Lift Off. Hell, not even HAM. I'm not going to get caught up in some of the crazy hyperbole going on in here but I will say it's really good, probably my favorite rap album of the year so far.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Natiko said:
I've listened to this shit six times already. Straight through, didn't skip anything. Not even Lift Off. Hell, not even HAM. I'm not going to get caught up in some of the crazy hyperbole going on in here but I will say it's really good, probably my favorite rap album of the year so far.
HAM's not even on the album. What leaked version do you have?

BeeDog

Hmm, just checked out Flux Pavilion - I Can't Stop, and am disappointed at how much of "Who Gon Stop Me" is just a straight sampling affair. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom