• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West & Jay-Z present: Watch The Throne

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

BeeDog said:
Hmm, just checked out Flux Pavilion - I Can't Stop, and am disappointed at how much of "Who Gon Stop Me" is just a straight sampling affair. :(
Kanye has been doing this for years, sometimes clever but sometimes sloppy.

BeeDog

TheOddOne said:
Kanye has been doing this for years, sometimes clever but sometimes sloppy.

I'm not well-wersed in the world of hip-hop (I'm into electronica), so this saddens me. I hoped some famous rap producers would take their time to produce something of their own instead of simply jumping on the dubstep bandwagon and straight-out sample popular tracks.

I love it when people act like Kanye was the first producer to ever sample things.

I also love it when people act like any track that use samples of pre-existing music is inherently devoid of creativity. Yeah there are instances like "Who Gon Stop Me" where something gets straight up jacked. There's also "That's My Bitch" where there are isolated drum sections from at least three different songs (one of which is "Apache" by The Incredible Bongo Band) all layered together along with little vocal samples from different records on it too. There's also crazy chopping done like a song by Jay-Z called "Kingdom Come" where Just Blaze chops the shit out of Rick James' "Super Freak" and makes it something else entirely.

Oh, and BeeDog, as for your genre of choice, I don't know if you're into Daft Punk and Justice, but they sample LOTS and LOTS of old records. Also, a lot of Skrillex's work is sample-based too.

Detox

BeeDog said:
I'm not well-wersed in the world of hip-hop (I'm into electronica), so this saddens me. I hoped some famous rap producers would take their time to produce something of their own instead of simply jumping on the dubstep bandwagon and straight-out sample popular tracks.
Don't worry, the legends who might not be very famous in the mainstream actually do this.

BeeDog

polyh3dron said:
I love it when people act like Kanye was the first producer to ever sample things.

I also love it when people act like any track that use samples of pre-existing music is inherently devoid of creativity. Yeah there are instances like "Who Gon Stop Me" where something gets straight up jacked. There's also "That's My Bitch" where there are isolated drum sections from at least three different songs (one of which is "Apache" by The Incredible Bongo Band) all layered together along with little vocal samples from different records on it too. There's also crazy chopping done like a song by Jay-Z called "Kingdom Come" where Just Blaze chops the shit out of Rick James' "Super Freak" and makes it something else entirely.

Oh, and BeeDog, as for your genre of choice, I don't know if you're into Daft Punk and Justice, but they sample LOTS and LOTS of old records.

I occasionally listen to them, yes, and I'm aware that many electronica producers sample old stuff all the time. But they also have a habit of doing shit with the samples so they are barely recognizable; in this case, Kanye pretty much just slapped lyrics over Flux Pavilion's tracks. It still sounds very good, mind you, but I simply hoped for these two rappers to produce some sick-ass dubstep beat for themselves (so as to validate the genre, in a strange sense :p). I was also bummed out when Beyonce simply sampled the entirety of "Pon De Floor" and slapped some lyrics on top. And let's not talk about that god-awful Pitbull...

I mean, take "Smack My Bitch Up" as an example. It's pretty much a fully sample-based track, yet you'd barely recognize most of the samples unless you knew about them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU5Dn-WaElI

TheOddOne

BeeDog said:
I think its Kanye's streight and weakness at the same time. He can take a whole sample and make a song that totally amazing and bring it to another level. On the other hand, sometimes he overdoes it and its more annoying then good.

Hiphop producers know how to flip samples though, like Nottz ("Girl You Know", samples "Cause I love you"), J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League ("Mayback Music 2", samples "Time is the teacher", "Luxury Tax", samples "I Wanna Write You A Love Song"), Bink! ("When They Remember", samples "The Way We Were"), Jake One ("Its Over", samples "The masquerade is over") to name a few.

nns3d

Ugh, the fact that Itunes isn't working for me and I can't purchase this is absolutely killing me right now. I just heard some snippets right now and Why I Love You and Murder to Excellence sound sooo good.

How can you guys like this so much? Fucking autotune, fucking vocal samples everywhere that are louder than Kanye or Jay-Z. Seems like people's standards really dropped a lot lately. For shame.

eravulgaris said:
How can you guys like this so much? Fucking autotune, fucking vocal samples everywhere that are louder than Kanye or Jay-Z. Seems like people's standards really dropped a lot lately. For shame.
what are the vocal samples you speak of?

what's the word on this one? Kinda hyped to hear them sample Cassius' Love you So.

Kanye West has been sloppy as shit rap-wise these days, but his last album was still pretty good. So hyped to hear Jay Z go hard again.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
So disappointed with the album :(

hopefully the game Red will fill my craving for a good new rap album to take me threw winter.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
polyh3dron said:
what are the vocal samples you speak of?
Otis, That's My Bitch, Why I Love You all have aggravating, unnecessary vocal samples. The album is a 5/10 at most.

Kentpaul

Discotheque said:
what's the word on this one? Kinda hyped to hear them sample Cassius' Love you So.

Kanye West has been sloppy as shit rap-wise these days, but his last album was still pretty good. So hyped to hear Jay Z go hard again.

If watch the throne is your idea of Jay z going hard then we ain't listing to the same Jay Z

I'm so disappointed, i could basically cry.

Thats my bitch, otis, Murder to Excellence will be the only tracks from this that will be going on my ipod :(

Kentpaul

Slizz said:
That'll never happen.

I love the game, brings me back to the type of rap i first got into back in 2000-2004

ok i admit it, I'm a sucker for mainstream gangsta rap, you got me good !

EDIT this album is starting to grow on me..

should be clean sailing from here

Dr Eggman said:
Otis, That's My Bitch, Why I Love You all have aggravating, unnecessary vocal samples. The album is a 5/10 at most.
The Otis sample IS the entire beat, without the sample all you'd hear is a bass drum.

That's My Bitch has a few little voice samples in the background, similar to what people like Pete Rock and J Dilla would do. I don't see what the big deal is with that.

Yeah, Why I Love You uses the same thing Cassius used for the I Love You So thing they did, but there were a shitload of synths, great sounding drums and stuff built around it and just sonically it's leaps and bounds better than what Cassius did with it. It's a reimagining if you will.

Natiko

Banned
Dr Eggman said:
Whaaaat? Hating on That's My Bitch and Why I Love You? To each their own I guess..

Kentpaul

Mailenstein said:
Seems like some people forgot how to enjoy music.

Jay Z thinks hes so good he went into the recording studio and never even tried, sometimes i can't tell if hes sleeping or awake when hes rapping on this album.

wish it was pure kanye.

Kentpaul said:
If watch the throne is your idea of Jay z going hard then we ain't listing to the same Jay Z

I'm so disappointed, i could basically cry.

Thats my bitch, otis, Murder to Excellence will be the only tracks from this that will be going on my ipod :(

uh it's not, I haven't even listened to the album yet. I just thought his verses on kanye west's last album were his best since american gangster. so I was hoping this partnership would be fruitful

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Damn couldn't stop playing Ni**as in Paris while driving to work this morning. Giving a mean face to everyone on the road.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
haha, i was mean muggin niggas on the 4 train this morning

album goes so hard COT DAMN

Mailenstein said:
Seems like some people forgot how to enjoy music.

there are many internet posters who enjoy not enjoying something more than enjoying the thing. from video games to books to albums, it's gonna happen.

Got through the main album and I've got to say that I'm thoroughly underwhelmed. Some might say that Ye is breaking new ground with his production but at least half of it sounded ear splittingly grating to me. Dude layers shit that doesn't need to be layered and goes fucking wild for no god damn reason at times.

Take New Day for example. Good beat (could see the RZA influence), couple of good verses but it's ruined but the awful vocals mid-fucking verse. On top of that the shit is autotuned all the way to hell and back. That would have been my favorite song on the album, now I'm sitting here shaking my head at what could have been. The most disgusting thing on the album on the album has to be the latter half of Who Gon Stop Me. No words.

It may sound like I'm a hip-hop traditionalist or whatever the fuck that is but electronic music (house/trance) is my tied favorite genre next to hip hop. Somehow Ye has the potential to make beats that actually get me mad. Like serious vitriol against the dude, I don't know what it is.

Anyway I liked the tracks That's My Bitch and Made in America and on the lower tier there's Murder To Excellence, Niggas In Paris and That's Why I Love You. The rest I'm indifferent towards or hate.

As far as the actual rapping on the album

Ye > Jay

Jay didn't bring shit back

bud

so, i just started listening to it. why is there auto-tuning in ''no church in the wild?'' what purpose does it serve? why do these rappers insist on using auto-tune? it just cheapens the whole track. when will the death of auto-tune actually become reality? when?!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Should I go digital on this album? I keep buying CDs even though I have a fully capable iPad 2 and Droid X to play music on... I just can't shake the "I don't actually own any physical copy" syndrome. :p

If I buy on iTunes is there any way for me to put the songs on my Droid X? Or on Google Music?

sruckus

bud said:
so, i just started listening to it. why is there auto-tuning in ''no church in the wild?'' what purpose does it serve? why do these rappers insist on using auto-tune? it just cheapens the whole track. when will the death of auto-tune actually become reality? when?!

It's a musical style and I don't understand the hate. Because Jay-Z says so? You probably would have hated adding a musical chorus back in the day too. "It's not real rap BLAH BLAH BLAH"

xcrunner529 said:
It's a musical style and I don't understand the hate. Because Jay-Z says so? You probably would have hated adding a musical chorus back in the day too. "It's not real rap BLAH BLAH BLAH"

notsureifserious

kodecraft

Miri said:
Really, nobody is coming hard on this album, and that's blatantly obvious from my first listen-through. Which almost upsets me. I can't wait till a few hungry lyricists get their hands on these instrumentals, because they really are some of the best to hit the scene in a damn while.

+1
You know it!

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
jon bones said:
there are many internet posters who enjoy not enjoying something more than enjoying the thing. from video games to books to albums, it's gonna happen.

It comes from people not wanting to "conform" or trying to be "different". So if they see people enjoying something, they have to be the only who doesn't enjoy it and nitpick it to death. I feel for those people, they can never, ever be happy with anything.

Anyway, I am about to spend my work day listening to the album. Bought it from iTunes earlier because there is no telling when I will get my link from buying concert tickets. The arena they are playing at in Houston doesn't use Tickemaster so who knows.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
dskillzhtown said:
It comes from people not wanting to "conform" or trying to be "different". So if they see people enjoying something, they have to be the only who doesn't enjoy it and nitpick it to death. I feel for those people, they can never, ever be happy with anything.

I don't think this is true - especially as the average age of the negative opiner raises. I think internet forums have a negative bias and it's easy to make a strong stance on something under the guise of anonymity.

Lucky you for picking up concert tickets - I'm banking on them playing at next year's Coachella.

Lima

The digital booklet that comes with the itunes version is teh shit. Some really disturbing images in there lol.

Detox

This album is so boring if you're going to talk about how rich you are at least make it lighthearted not just I got a maybach and a private jet. The beats didn't even do anything for me until tracks 10-16. Overall I thought they both were equally tired on it but Jay came out slightly better maybe because I prefer his flow over going uggh after every line.

Just finishing my second listen. It's good. Almost very good.
It's also shockingly sloppy in some places, considering they re-did the album three times it still doesn't sound completely solid and almost rushed in places.
It's nice to hear Jay care again. Overall it sounds like his album featuring Kanye.
A big WTF though at the auto tune, looped vocal in New Day over the verses and the constantly repeating outro on many tracks. Lift Off got the straight deletation too, that track is beyond awkward and very, very poor.

Miggytronz

Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
Just finishing my second listen. It's good. Almost very good.
It's also shockingly sloppy in some places, considering they re-did the album three times it still doesn't sound completely solid and almost rushed in places.
It's nice to hear Jay care again. Overall it sounds like his album featuring Kanye.
A big WTF though at the auto tune, looped vocal in New Day over the verses and the constantly repeating outro on many tracks. Lift Off got the straight deletation too, that track is beyond awkward and very, very poor.

This whole post is how i feel. I almost feel like each track is undone. Like theres more, im expecting more.

Detox

Yeah it did feel like Jay was on much longer than Ye, don't think it was even close to 50 / 50. People were saying this is a Ye album with Jay features and overall that's probably true with the beats and theme of each track but Jay had more verses.

BeeDog said:
Hmm, just checked out Flux Pavilion - I Can't Stop, and am disappointed at how much of "Who Gon Stop Me" is just a straight sampling affair. :(

nothing wrong with just sampling the loop up if it comes out dope.

Secondly, Kanye didn't make that beat... The juggernauts did.

Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
Guess it was easier for Jay than buying a diamond or something. lol

I like parts of it so far, Ye is well Ye, and I'm never nuts about him. Jay sounds good though.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I would definitely rank myself as something of a Jay-Z stan, Team Jay-Z, if you will. I would definitely rank myself as a Kanye stan and in all honesty, would say that his contributions to the music, at the end of the day, will dwarf my favorite rapper's (Jay-Z) contributions to music. Once I found out about this album, I didn't know what to think, first album of both that I went into it without any expectations. As more of an objective fan, Jay-Z, of recent years, took me personally to highs such as American Gangster and some lows such as Kingdom Come, with mostly good shit in between. Kanye is nee flawless as far as I'm concerned.

Anyways, I've skimmed this album on the way to work because my office is only seven minutes away and I came away impressed with what I heard. I'm no longer pining for the RD Jay-Z, I don't need boom-bap to rigidly classify something as hip-hop and Kanye's talent and gift for music will always continue to shine through as long as he continues to give a shit. As for the latter, a few years ago, I probably would have been like wtf at some of this, but since my musical tastes, thanks to this board and others and getting older, have grown exponentially, something that sounds like this is easier to digest so I'm not lost when I hear techno-ish shit or rave drums . All of this sounds epic and I tend to love Kanye's overproduction.

I think, especially when it comes to albums as anticipated as this, people want to pick and choose sides about where they stand, it's only been out for around nine hours so it is impossible to grade this album appropriately, all I can do is work with what my ears tell me and they are telling me that I'm going to like this album a lot.

Thumbs up to Jay and Ye to not fucking this up.

Lima

Wow if you go to iTunes and try to listen to illest motherf**ker alive they preview you 1:30 of silence. What is up with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom