• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West & Jay-Z present: Watch The Throne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Lima said:
Wow if you go to iTunes and try to listen to illest motherf**ker alive they preview you 1:30 of silence. What is up with that?

The song starts 3 minutes in, lol

Angry Fork

Mailenstein said:
Seems like some people forgot how to enjoy music.
Kanye and Jay are both terrible rappers and Kanye is hit or miss when it comes to production. When he's missing he drives samples into the ground and fucks up entire beats because he doesn't know self control. When he's on his A game he makes some of the best multi-layered beats out there with tons of great instruments and melodies, and more importantly samples used correctly. Sorry but I can't enjoy sloppy work just because the name Kanye is on it.

Recon

Banned
Angry Fork said:
Kanye and Jay are both terrible rappers and Kanye is hit or miss when it comes to production. When he's missing he drives samples into the ground and fucks up entire beats because he doesn't know self control. When he's on his A game he makes some of the best multi-layered beats out there with tons of great instruments and melodies, and more importantly samples used correctly. Sorry but I can't enjoy sloppy work just because the name Kanye is on it.

Yeah I agree.

I'm listening to LIFT OFF and picturing the official video.

*intro plays, ye, hova and b holding hands*

jq50te.gif

*bout to take this whole thing to mars plays, gravity scenes, we have a lift off*

25gtl6p.jpg

WE GON TAKE IT TO THE MOONS! TAKE IT TO STARS!

effzee

thekad said:
Jay Z is a terrible rapper? Okay.

Current Jay Z is lazy and pretty average but that has clouded many people's minds into believing he was always average. Jay Z is pretty amazing when he wants to be which was mostly 10 years or so back.

OG Kush

Thats what a lot of you get for hyping this album up so much. Could never build upto to the hype. First listen through and what really stands out to me is the production... and those stupid interludes/weird parts Ye seems to be doing in his new stuff. It just harms the ability to listen to the album all the way through without skipping

Angry Fork

Banzaiaap said:
Not sure if you're completely serious, but how does that make him a terrible rapper?
I meant he's terrible right now (and has been for a while). Jay can be great but he chooses not to because he's lazy and doesn't care.

Esch

Banned
this album's not too great. there are a few botched beats along with the great ones. the lyrical content is actually pretty second rate. from both guys. jay is done, his dopeness is depleted and he's spitting tired old recycled power and cash raps. time to retire hov. you had a good run but you don't have it anymore. there are a small handful of good verses on this album shame really. they should have taken the blueprint 3 dark fantasy approach and loaded this with features cause neither guy stands tall on the mic here. that being said it's still got high points...just not enough to save a lot of hot garbage. 3.5 mics. maybe 3.

JackEtc

So far I think it's an alright album. Not bad, but not incredible either, especially after Kanye coming of MBDTF. I really enjoy Niggas in Paris and Primetime though. Primetime's beat is awesome.

JackEtc said:
So far I think it's an alright album. Not bad, but not incredible either, especially after Kanye coming of MBDTF. I really enjoy Niggas in Paris and Primetime though. Primetime's beat is awesome.

Yeah, beat-wise it's pretty uninteresting. But it's hilarious to hear Jay-Z rap crop circles around Kanye.

Yeah, as I predicted there isn't another song as soulful as Otis on this one. I like the album, but don't love it. Ah, too bad. Anyone who thinks this is better than MBDTF is delusional.

thekad

Banned
Expendable. said:
Anyone who thinks this is better than MBDTF is 100% right.

yeah

J@hranimo said:
It's the calm after the storm aka "In retrospect looking at it objectively without the hype this album is just ok."

Or different people have different opinions...

J@hranimo

Banned
upJTboogie said:
Damn did the mood of this thread change, I miss the hype from last night.

It's the calm after the storm aka "In retrospect looking at it objectively without the hype this album is just ok."

Happens everytime. Still bumping it this morning though!

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm digging the album so far. I'm on vacation in vegas so I can't pick it up right now but I have been listening to the snippets.

Pretty good. Will probably grow on me.

neptunes

Expendable. said:
Yeah, as I predicted there isn't another song as soulful as Otis on this one. I like the album, but don't love it. Ah, too bad. Anyone who thinks this is better than MBDTF is delusional.
It might not be better than MBDTF, but I like I like it more.

Angry Fork

upJTboogie said:
I wouldn't describe Jay being a terrible rapper as rational.
'i hit the club, ordered some grey goose
switched it for ciroc to give puffs stock a boost
new money i found the fountain of youth
i'm headed to miami to fuck up the fontaine bleu'

You're right, Jay is killing it, my bad. It's not like these verses can be switched with anything on Kingdom Come and nobody would notice. At least he's still got great flow though.

I don't even wanna get started on Kanye as it's not even fair.

'she said can we get married at the maaaawwwwllllwwawwwwwlalwwwwll
i said look you need to crawl before you baaaaaaawwwwwwwwlll'

the fuck is this corny shit.

If you guys want something to bump in a car this is it but don't act like Jay isn't the laziest dude on the planet and Kanye's rhetoric is boring as shit. Lyrics >>> SswwwaaAgg poppin bottles bullshit. inb4 someone says i'm salty and/or a hater which I'm not because I can list tons of tracks from Jay and Kanye that are amazing.

Expendable. said:

I think Murder To Excellence and The Joy are way more soulful, as they're actually songs, not just Rapaoke.

Sammy Samusu said:
I'm listening to LIFT OFF and picturing the official video.
Damn, how does it feel to have your most anticipated track be by-far the worst song on the entire album?
Or was the Bey song the only one you were checking for anyway?

Angry Fork said:
You're right, Jay is killing it, my bad. It's not like these verses can be switched with anything on Kingdom Come and nobody would notice. At least he's still got great flow though.

I don't even wanna get started on Kanye as it's not even fair.

the fuck is this corny shit.

If you guys want something to bump in a car this is it but don't act like Jay isn't the laziest dude on the planet and Kanye's rhetoric is boring as shit. Lyrics >>> SswwwaaAgg poppin bottles bullshit. inb4 someone says i'm salty and/or a hater which I'm not because I can list tons of tracks from Jay and Kanye that are amazing.
I don't think he's killing it on this album either, I much prefer Kanye on this but I still wouldn't call him a terrible rapper.

chris121580

Album was so great after first listen. Standouts for me are 'Why I Love You,' 'No Church(that beat is filthy),' and 'Who Gon' Stop Me.' I think 'Lift Off' is the weakest track on here but I loved everything else. Production is incredible on this as expected.

Detox

Angry Fork said:
I think the problem with Kanye's production is that he is now surrounded by dick riders who offer him nothing constructive and work to stroke his dick every time he plays them a beat.

Recon

Banned
upJTboogie said:
I wouldn't describe Jay being a terrible rapper as rational.

He is a terrible rapper now. At best mediocre. His last really good album from him was from 2003. How is that not rational?

Recon

Banned
MisterRueler said:
You know it's a great album when nobody gets angry over three minutes of silence... Who else could pull that off?

Great song=/=Great album. That song is excellent tho, thats why that 3 minutes of silence bullshit gets a pass.

MisterRueler

Neo Member
I didn't buy into too much of the hype, so I guess I didn't get disappointed when each song wasn't the BEST SONG EVER!!!!111

If nobody was looking forward to WTT it would have blown our minds. I think it's crazy to say it's not a great hip hop album even if it's not your favorite thing you've heard this year.

ReconYoda said:
He is a terrible rapper now. At best mediocre. His last really good album from him was from 2003. How is that not rational?
I disagree, American Gangster was great and I still listen to it all the time 4 years later. And I don't think it's rational that Jay is a bottom tier rapper he can still have great rhymes, terrible is just too strong for me to call it rational.

mooooose

When I heard Neptunes, I expected Gotta Have It to be something completely different. I don't even hear Neptunes in that.

Same for New Day. I hear a good RZA beat in there somewhere, overdone with Kanye's bullshit.

I'm just not a fan of Kanye's at the end of the day, I guess. With no expectations, I like him better, but I'm curious what Neptunes' beat sounded like and RZA's song without the autotune sample and the horns and shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom