• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West & Jay-Z present: Watch The Throne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lima

MisterRueler said:
You know it's a great album when nobody gets angry over three minutes of silence... Who else could pull that off?

You don't know iTunes do you?

- Right click the track
- Select Get Info
- Select Options
- Type in 3:00 for start time
- Profit!

Detox

mooooose said:
When I heard Neptunes, I expected Gotta Have It to be something completely different. I don't even hear Neptunes in that.

Same for New Day. I hear a good RZA beat in there somewhere, overdone with Kanye's bullshit.

I'm just not a fan of Kanye's at the end of the day, I guess. With no expectations, I like him better, but I'm curious what Neptunes' beat sounded like and RZA's song without the autotune sample and the horns and shit.
I didn't know which song was going to use the RZA beat because I wanted to see if I could guess. As soon as it started I knew New Day was RZA and was like oh shit Kanye going to do a nice mood changer her and go down a dark alley. I was so disappointed when he tried to make it more uplifting with the autotune and everything else.

Recon

Banned
upJTboogie said:
I disagree, American Gangster was great and I still listen to it all the time 4 years later. And I don't think it's rational that Jay is a bottom tier rapper he can still have great rhymes, terrible is just too strong for me to call it rational.

American Gangster was ok, a lot better than Kingdom Come, but still doesn't touch Black Album or anything previous. Blueprint 3 was garbage time.

DominoKid

mooooose said:
When I heard Neptunes, I expected Gotta Have It to be something completely different. I don't even hear Neptunes in that.

Same for New Day. I hear a good RZA beat in there somewhere, overdone with Kanye's bullshit.

I'm just not a fan of Kanye's at the end of the day, I guess. With no expectations, I like him better, but I'm curious what Neptunes' beat sounded like and RZA's song without the autotune sample and the horns and shit.

the Neptunes beat was probably ass in all honesty. i'm a Neptunes stan but they havent been worth anything since around 07.

MisterRueler said:
If nobody was looking forward to WTT it would have blown our minds. I think it's crazy to say it's not a great hip hop album even if it's not your favorite thing you've heard this year.

I wasn't and it didn't. Don't think it's a particularly good hip hop album either bar a few tracks that lift it out of complete mediocrity.

The people that are lukewarm on the album are more likely to not have been the people hyping the shit out of it in this thread. It'd be silly to say that they went and checked it out so close after release just to say how much they hated it.

The production is pretty polarizing and as far as the actual rapping goes I'd give it a C+ at best. If you weren't a fan of the beats I don't think you'd have much of an opinion on this project.

ReconYoda said:
American Gangster was ok, a lot better than Kingdom Come, but still doesn't touch Black Album or anything previous. Blueprint 3 was garbage time.
Yeah it was pretty bad, only songs I listen to today is As real as it gets, What we talking bout and A star is born for J. Cole.

mooooose

That's My Bitch is the best thing I've ever heard probably. The only thing I'm taking away from this album. Everything else is pretty boring.

edit - Jesus this song is honestly amazing. It's so much better than everything else on the album that it's ridiculous.
DominoKid said:
the Neptunes beat was probably ass in all honesty. i'm a Neptunes stan but they havent been worth anything since around 07.
Their production on Til The Casket Drops was good and that beat they gave Game was pretty good. Also Pharrell on Dispicable Me (lol) was actually pretty good and that beat they gave Pusha/Tyler was ok.

I still love Neptunes.

Oozer3993

Deadly Cyclone said:
Should I go digital on this album? I keep buying CDs even though I have a fully capable iPad 2 and Droid X to play music on... I just can't shake the "I don't actually own any physical copy" syndrome. :p

If I buy on iTunes is there any way for me to put the songs on my Droid X? Or on Google Music?

It should work with both Google Music and the Droid X.

Esch

Banned
Ironically this leaves me feeling a little bit like Ferrari Boyz where i'm wishing someone else was rapping over most of these beats. I also think Frank Ocean was not that well used either. Love that song with Beyonce though.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Beyonce is a better rapper than Jay Z this year.

Ashhong

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yeah, beat-wise it's pretty uninteresting. But it's hilarious to hear Jay-Z rap crop circles around Kanye.

wat the hell.....

Anybody remember when PhoenixDark claimed he heard the album and posted lyrics? Were those lyrics real?

Dre3001

Album is amazing

Listened last night and thought it was decent, a 3/5 at best

Today woke up decided to listen to it from the beginning to see which songs to keep and which to delete and it sounds so much better for some reason.

Only song im not feeling is Lift Off everything else is fire.

Foob

Dre3001 said:
Today woke up decided to listen to it from the beginning to see which songs to keep and which to delete
what the fuck?

why would anyone do this with an album

anyway ya this album is alright pretty cool the rza beat was ruined

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Really digging the variety. No track feels the same. Can't even beginning to hate on the album when it atleast has that going for it.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Foob said:
what the fuck?

Why would you have songs you don't like on your music device?

Ashhong

Foob said:
what the fuck?

anyway ya this album is alright pretty cool the rza beat was ruined

So they dont have to keep skipping songs they hate?

maybe it was illegally downloaded so he feels no monetary attachment to it

q_q

Just got through my first listen of the album. Some pretty dope beats, others not so much. Kanye easily out-raps Jay on most of the album, but that's kind of become par for the course at this point. There's nothing really great here, but it's not terrible either. I'll be listening to it for a while and I mostly enjoy it. Anything with this much hype was bound to disappoint the haters anyway.

Ashhong

YoungHav said:
LOL @ the hype train crashing.

I don't know, seems like most of the regulars in here hyping the album still love it. It's the lurkers who are coming in after release that aren't feeling it.

edit: found it.

PhoenixDark said:
You said it's your first time, well aite I part the red sea: Moses
You gotta man? Lemme take his trophy like USC: roses

Production is good but "overproduced" like Dark Fantasy. Frank Ocean's hooks sound like throwaways to me, but I'm not a fan of dude.

Are these lyrics on the album? I haven't heard it.

tumblr_lp754b1NFy1qkrg16o1_400.gif

Worth the Wait....soo good.

Ashhong said:
I don't know, seems like most of the regulars in here hyping the album still love it. It's the lurkers who are coming in after release that aren't feeling it.

Pretty sure I heard "USC roses" at some point

Recon

Banned
Ashhong said:

Ive been in here the whole time trying to figure out how anyone could be hyped for it after HAM was released.

Dumb decision not to put Illest Motherfucker Alive on the album.

"Bulletproof condom when I'm in these hoes, got staples on my dick; why? Fuckin' centrefolds"

Ashhong

ReconYoda said:
Ive been in here the whole time trying to figure out how anyone could be hyped for it after HAM was released.

By ignoring it since it's not even on the album and having faith. FAITH.

i actually think it's pretty good
murder to excellance is excellent and having a full version of 'that's my bitch' is great
i just wish kanye wouldn't overproduce so much (or allow it w/e); yuck to the will ferrell and the 'little baby jesus' parts - shit is just annoying

10 Signs That the Hype on “Watch The Throne” Has Gotten Way Out of Hand.

The Day is now here. “8.8.11.” The day rap will change our lives, a/k/a #JanyeDay, a/k/a #TheDayTheJiggazTookOver. Shit was nuts. How nuts?… THESE NUTS…

1. Janyé already 4th most-popular baby name in the United States and Mexico.

2. WTT surpasses WTF on list of world’s most used abbreviations.

3. iTunes changes name to iThrones.

4. Grammy already engraved… and presented in secret ceremony near Arlington, VA.

5. 2011 VMA’s announcing special category: Best Album Besides Watch The Throne.

6. Dudes named Otis see 200% increase in interest on match.com

7. Nominated for Pulitzer Prize…for Public Service.

8. Visits to Buckingham Palace now referred to by tourists as “Watching The Other Throne No One Gives a Bloody Rat’s Arse About.”

9. Jay-Z and Kanye overtake Jay-Z and Beyoncé as Zimbio’s “Hottest Celebrity Couple” 2011.

10. Rolling Stone says: “5 stars.” XXL says: “XXL.” S&P says: “AAAAAAAA++++++++.”

Ashhong

ReconYoda said:
We didn't know it wasn't on the album until later.

Well the hype was also dead until later. The hype train didn't really start until after Otis and once rumors started happening. I'm one of Ye's biggest stans on here and even I didn't care about the album until a little while ago. HAM killed it for me.

DominoKid

DangerousMali said:
tumblr_lp754b1NFy1qkrg16o1_400.gif

Worth the Wait....soo good.

Pretty much.

The more I listen to it the more I love it. I was impressed but still underwhelmed on the first listen. I took this shit on a country ride and it just hits so well.

MBDTF was different as some tracks (DIAND/Runaway) fell out of rotation almost instantly. The only track that's awful on WTT is Made In America. Lift Off although awkward is still pretty good.

LEGGZZZZ said:
Gonna have to agree WTT>MTDBF>>>BP3
SMH

you mothafuckas could at least wait a few weeks to see how songs wear on you before proclaiming such things. seems like people are mistaking "newer and fresher" for "artistically better".

Has there been any news when the Watch the Throne documentary is going to be available? Because the one from YouTube a few weeks ago was a preview right?

SUPREME1

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
i actually think it's pretty good
murder to excellance is excellent and having a full version of 'that's my bitch' is great
i just wish kanye wouldn't overproduce so much (or allow it w/e); yuck to the will ferrell and the 'little baby jesus' parts - shit is just annoying

Can you elaborate please?

I haven't heard the album, and I'm on the fence about buying it.

But if it's going to be similar to MBDTF where Kanye continually drops devil/satan references and/or continually dismisses Jesus/Christianity out of sheer arrogance, then I'll just pass.

I'm not a religious nut, and I don't want to come off as one, but I do have beliefs.

MBDTF was an album I really wanted to like (and easily could have, production was amazing imo) but it was just a real turn off to hear lines like "make a nun cum" and "satan, satan, etc" all over the album.

I'd hate for this album to be a repeat of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom