• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West & Jay-Z present: Watch The Throne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oozer3993

kamspy said:
So what are the best salty rapper tweets about WTT?

9th Wonder.

OG Kush said:
Anyone know the samples for Who Gon stop me and Why i love you? I def heard them somewhere, dubstep or something?

Who Gon Stop Me: Flux Pavilion - I Can't Stop
Why I Love You: Cassius - I Love You So

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Ashhong said:
Are you only on the second track? Cause the rest of the album is grimey.
Naw I listened to the whole thing... I think it feels like a blueprint 4 to me featuring kanye then anything on a whole different level... I don't hate it, i just don't love it yet.

I thought the rza beat was mediocre. But the lyrics were real to me.. And I expected so much from that's my bitch and I just can't get into it. I'm gonna give it more time.

njean777

OG Kush said:
Anyone know the samples for Who Gon stop me and Why i love you? I def heard them somewhere, dubstep or something?

Who Gon Stop Me-Dubstep, I believe its flux pavilion
Haven't got to Why I love you yet lol

Ashhong

Malleymal said:
Naw I listened to the whole thing... I think it feels like a blueprint 4 to me featuring kanye then anything on a whole different level... I don't hate it, i just don't love it yet.

I thought the rza beat was mediocre. But the lyrics were real to me.. And I expected so much from that's my bitch and I just can't get into it. I'm gonna give it more time.

Funny, I thought it was more like MBDTF 2 ft. Jay Z. Remember when Yeezy said he was making MBDTF a real hip hop album? I feel like this is that album, even if it's not as "real" as we were all expecting.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Equus Bellator Apex said:
The WORST part of this album is the inevitable Young Money "remixes" that this will spawn.

I don't want Drake or Tyga anywhere near this.
tumblr_lpf585kRex1r1417io1_500.jpg

The best thing to come out of this thread.

qcf x2

I heard this once-through today. My hype level was at pretty much none; I expected a mediocre album.

This...

was disappointing. Both dudes are tired as ever on the mic, and there was an odd mix of overproduction and underproduction on the beats, which would easily qualify as the worst on a Kanye album (if this was a solo album).

2/5, generously speaking.

I'll give it a listen in the whip, though. Maybe it'll make a difference.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
qcf x2 said:
I heard this once-through today. My hype level was at pretty much none; I expected a mediocre album.

This...

was disappointing. Both dudes are tired as ever on the mic, and there was an odd mix of overproduction and underproduction on the beats, which would easily qualify as the worst on a Kanye album (if this was a solo album).

2/5, generously speaking.

I'll give it a listen in the whip, though. Maybe it'll make a difference.
tumblr_lnkkrwwjm91qafrh6.gif

overcast

Dope album is still dope a whole day later. Probably the weakest Kanye's rhymes have been, but they aren't horrible. Album is still damn good. Going to wait a while to rank the albums.

Btw, my friend asked me what was "the throne" and why he should watch it. SMH. It hurt me.

Also, I really like Frank Ocean on No Church in the Wild. Fits the song perfectly.

Max Armstrong said:
My bad for all the shit I said about Swizz, Murder for Excellence is a killer. Probably because he doesn't say a word on it.

He also didn't produee that one..his song was Welcome to the Jungle..

edit: Wow I stand corrected...damn Swizzy still has some heat left

Nabs

kamspy said:
The most volatile thing he said was "the album isn't for me".
burn the motherfucker.

I saw a screenshot of 9ths twitter feed posted here last night, and I couldn't see anything wrong with it. *shrug*

neptunes

s1 came through on the second half. Probably the must humble/slept-on producers in a while.

Probably his own doing, he doesn't put himself all out there like other producers.

DeadFalling said:
So, wtf is up with the random switch ups to the happy/cooky sounding beat during the last like 30 seconds of several of the songs?

My theory is that those songs where all placed before some other song that didn't make it because it's also before IMFA starts too...This album was redone a couple of times

that or Kanye being Kanye.

neptunes

DeadFalling said:
So, wtf is up with the random switch ups to the happy/cooky sounding beat during the last like 30 seconds of several of the songs?
A lot of producers like to place a snippet of song's original sample or interpolation at the end of their songs.

but in this case, it's just kanye's quirk

overcast

guise said:
If I'm not wrong, it's Glastonbury (or some other festival) from a few years ago
Yup, this.

Yeezy definitely let Jay-Z do his thing on this album. Jay-Z raps the majority of the album.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
guise said:
If I'm not wrong, it's Glastonbury (or some other festival) from a few years ago
Yup. He was caught on video during a Coldplay performance that was recorded/streamed.

nns3d

Bread said:
Yeah Jay-Z was a big part of the show.

guise said:

Well I looked it up and found that this was from a Coldplay Concert a couple of years ago. The guy that's in front of him plays one of the characters in the Office (UK version).

edit; beaten twice lol.

I think that Kanye is going to get at least 15 grammy nominations this year. Hope he wins AOTY with MBDTF... but he'll lose to Taylor Swift just for the lulz

Tom Penny

Pure medocrity. So much filler just wasting space. " Lets extend the intro and the outro to add a minute or two to a bunch of songs so we can hide our weak lyrical content "

Max Armstrong said:
I think that Kanye is going to get at least 15 grammy nominations this year. Hope he wins AOTY with MBDTF... but he'll lose to Taylor Swift just for the lulz

He will explode in a rage unseen by mankind.

It will be awesome

Nabs

I need video proof that Swizz had anything to do with that beat. Putting your name on a track is easy as shit.

Epcott

Finally listened to the album several times now (just finished finally listening to the deluxe tracks).

I really like how Illest Mother Alive plays after 1:30 seconds, it's like a throwback to the hidden tracks of previous Jay albums.

Favorite Tracks:
N**as in Paris - Strangely, the Will Ferral sample helped me enjoy it. I'm not crazy for the beat, but the second half is noooice. I think I took the track to seriously when it's really just all about fun. I probably would have continued to take it seriously until that Will sample.

Gotta Have it
- I think someone mentioned it's almost like a modern Brooklyn's Finest... I disagree. They're good with the back and forth, but not on the finesse level of Jadakiss/Styles P, Beans and Freeway, and nowhere near old Jay and Biggie. Still a fun track.

That's My Bitch - Beat sounds tighter than it's previous incarnation. Jay is flowing speedy, and Ye actually sounds on point with the beat. Leave it to Q-tip to bring back the scratch with a classic production.

Who Gon Stop Me - I don't mind the lack of augmentation to the sample. I was really bothered by Ye's "Stronger" from Graduation... that was far more lazy. This was carried well lyrically which counts IMO. Ye going at it in pig-latin, Jay going back to his young hungry mode on the second half... it's a great song. Jay could have benefited by just letting it rip completely with a more complex flow on the final moments without any pauses for the beat. It would have been an absolutely perfect track.

Murder to Excellence - Loved it... It's like sweet and sour in one song (concept wise). Only issue is that I just wish Ye could keep up with the beat in his first verse.

Why I Love You - Reminds me of "Dig a Hole" and "What We Talkin Bout". Really loved the hook, and the beat was rugged too and went well. Deep song... I expect Jay to catch heat for that from the usual suspects. I wish Ye was on it more though. Would have been nice to hear him comment on issues with Beans, but I guess that's not really like him to put names out.

Primetime - Fun song with a lazy tune reminiscent of a College Dropout track. Jay's delivery was pretty lazy. Ye was pretty laid back on here too, not as lazy as Jay, but definitely sounding like a piece from an old mixtape and not a major collabo like this. Still a decent song though.

The Joy - Just as beautiful as I remembered it, Pete Rock still has it. I'm not sure if there's a change, but I hear more Cudi talking along with Ye at the beginning (a little annoying), and pauses in the beat for Ye and Jay's delivery.

I was thinking they would take that gangster melody played between songs and do something with it, but it when nowhere, which left me a little confused. Oh well.

The other songs sound either underdeveloped lyrically, over produced (with too many added vocals, or just off). Like No Church in the Wild would have been great hadn't turned into some artistic jungle of oddball noises. Many songs suffer from this.

It's like Kanye is similar to Dewy Cox where every song he produces now has to be the "ultimate song" and he gets every single instrument into one big room, grabs a marching band, circus performers, and tries to meld it into an ungodly mess. There's a decent song under the spectacle, but it's just ruined by an overload on sugar.

Not the album I expected: mix of backpacker, hip-pop, and hip-hop. Still... at least half of the album is enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom