• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West & Jay-Z present: Watch The Throne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cudder

ProtoCents said:
But it doesn't make sense though. There is no Ashley... it's Pippa
I know what you mean. In context of the line, there is no "ashley" related to Prince William, so the line is kind of weird. I get the Olson twins reference obviously, but Prince William has no relation to her, or any other Ashley, so the line does sound a bit weird.

Cudder said:
I know what you mean. In context of the line, there is no "ashley" related to Prince William, so the line is kind of weird. I get the Olson twins reference obviously, but Prince William has no relation to her, or any other Ashley, so the line does sound a bit weird.

I think he just saying he'd marry two girls instead of just one.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
enzo_gt said:
470_39825.gif
/thread.

srsly thread over.

kamspy

Still digesting. Early impressions are about what I expected. Jay in a Wizards jersey, Kanye still so far gone. I'm not down on the record though. There are some dumb ass lyrics on it. Jay missed his calling a watch salesmen or black paint salesman.

I'm probably the only one who likes the Frank pieces. *avatar quote* I think people expect him to be a ballad singer, but dude is really a crooner. Which is what those songs called for imo.

Favs are No Church (without the big ass interlude in the middle) and Gotta Have It. Haven't had time to properly listen to Murder to Excellence, but it didn't really jump too far out at me.

Overall pretty much what I was expecting. Pretty satisfied, but my expectations were realistic.

Cudder said:

Thank you. I knew I couldn't be the only one.

DominoKid

EgoTrip Haiku Review

http://www.egotripland.com/rap-review-haikus-watch-the-throne-edition/

Watch The Throne has come
We exhale and write haikus
Read them after jump

“No Church In the Wild”
Decadence is fun
Strippers, cocaine, and The Dream
Cheer up, Frank Ocean

“Lift Off”
Cool new TV theme
For a show not yet greenlit
Call it: Space Ninjas

“N*ggas In Paris”
“N.W.A”
Now gives way to “N.I.P.”
Compton is burning

“Otis”
Otis is decent
Still, can’t be bothered with it
So three weeks ago

“Gotta Have It”
Jay-Z says, “planking”
And gives driving directions
He is just like us

“New Day”
Just what we wanted
Autotune meets RZA track
Our dreams now fulfilled

“That’s My Bitch”
“Apache” sample
Nas thinks this trumps “Made You Look”
Of course, he is wrong

“Welcome to the Jungle”
Swizz Beats sings so sweet
Like Hootie and the Blow Fish
Only less gully

“Who Gon Stop Me”
Some friends of Janye
Won’t like the “holocaust” line
Shoulda stopped themselves

“Murder to Excellence”
“Black” should not mean “bad”
The Throne gives us examples
Rich people are smart

“Made In America”
Kanye is bar none
Greatest metrosexual
In hip-hop ever

“Why I Love You”
You will love this song
If you think folks hate your guts
They probably do

This is a pretty good album, just good, nothing great or classic, it met my expectations because I wasn't expecting anything top tier anyway.

Great songs
No Church in the Wild - Hot but the autotune brings it down.
Murder to Excellence - FUCKING AMAZING.
That's my Bitch - Although I don't like at much as everyone here does it's still great, love the chorus.
Otis
Niggas in Paris - Only here for the switch up at the end.
Who Gon Stop me - Great first half.
Welcome to the Jungle

Don't care for.

Lift off - Don't like it at all.
Made in America
Who Gon Stop me - What the fuck happened in the second half of this song, the production takes such a nosedive.
Why I love You

nns3d

I just went through it once... favorites songs are as followed.

*No Church in the Wild
*Murder to Excellence
*Why I Love You
*Illest Motherfucker Alive
*Primetime

No Church is a great opening track, but Frank Ocean+autotune = bleh. Got no complaints with Murder to Excellence. Love Why I Love You but my biggest problem is that the way that it cuts off so abruptly. Even using the chorus again to end the song would've made it satisfying imo. The bonus tracks are great (other than H.A.M., which while slightly growing on me is my least favorite of the bonus tracks) and should have been on the final album. As far as the lyrics go, Jay-Z sounds so tired this time around. He's shown in the past (American Gangster, So Appalled on MBDTF) that he can still write great songs, but it just appears that he's run out of stuff to talk about. Overall Kanye beat Jay on alot of the songs here, but Kanye wasn't really writing anything special either.

Again, I've only gone through the album once. Gonna go through it again tonight.

upJTboogie said:
Great songs

Niggas in Paris - Only here for the switch up at the end.

Don't care for.

Who Gon Stop me - What the fuck happened in the second half of this song, the production takes such a nosedive.

The switchups with these songs is another problem I had with the album.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
egemenay said:
I too think that niggas in paris has soulja boy beat in the beginning.
Sounds more chopped and screwed to me.

Nothing about that song even resembles Soulja Boy's production or lyrics

Album is very good, but it has far too many minor flaws here and there to be a classic or 10/10 material. That's why I give it 8.5/10 on my personal scale.

kamspy

YoungHav said:
LOL @ Jay-Z getting tough with teen girls but scared to put hands on Nas.

That would be a real cat fight there. I like em both as artists, but I bet neither can throw hands for shit.

upJTboogie said:

Don't care for.

Lift off - Don't like it at all.
Made in America
Why I love You

There are people who dislike this song?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
YoungHav said:
LOL @ Jay-Z getting tough with teen girls but scared to put hands on Nas.
Dude, when did you go from complete Jay-Z stan to like the biggest Nas stan GAF has seen?

Bishman

Credits

1. No Church In The Wild feat. Frank Ocean (Prod. By Kanye West, Mike Dean & Ken Lewis)
2. Lift Off feat. Beyoncé (Prod. By Kanye West, Mike Dean, Jeff Bhasker, Q-Tip & Don Jazzy) (Add Vocals. By Seal, Mr Hudson, Don Jazzy, Bankulli and Ricardo Louis)
3. *****s In Paris (Produced by Hit-Boy)
4. Otis feat. Otis Redding (Produced by Kanye West)
5. Gotta Have It (Produced by The Neptunes)
6. New Day (Produced by The RZA)
7. That’s My **** (Produced by Q-Tip & Kanye West)
8. Who Gon Stop Me (Produced by Sham “Sak Pase” Joseph & Kanye West)
9. Murder To Excellence (Produced by Swizz Beatz & S1)
10. Welcome To The Jungle (Produced by Swizz Beatz)
11. Made In America feat. Frank Ocean (Produced by Sham “Sak Pase” Joseph) [previously Sweet Baby Jesus]
12. Why I Love You feat. Mr Hudson (Produced by Mike Dean & Kanye West)
13. Illest Mother****er Alive (Produced by Southside & Kanye West)
14. H•A•M (Produced by Lex Luger and Kanye West)
15. Primetime (Produced by No I.D.)
16. The Joy feat. Curtis Mayfield

- Additional (Background) Vocals: Cudi's on Illest Mother****er Alive-Murder To Excellence-Gotta Have It, Swizz on Welcome To The Jungle, Elly Jackson on TMB, Hudson on Lift Off

Yeah, after listening to Primetime, this is a good 9 for me. The beats are fucking BIG, like a crazy movie packed into a four minutes song, Who Gon Stop Me was like Enter the Void in audio form. Jay-Z was not very good though, disappointing, but not surprising.

Afrocentric-Asian said:
The switchups with these songs is another problem I had with the album.
Yeah they do use that tactic a lot, most of the time I enjoy them though, but they killed the second half of Who Gon Stop me in a bad way.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Gotta let the album grow on me... Love the first song.. I wanted a more grimy album I think.. That lift off.... Wtf

Ashhong

Malleymal said:
Gotta let the album grow on me... Love the first song.. I wanted a more grimy album I think.. That lift off.... Wtf

Are you only on the second track? Cause the rest of the album is grimey.

I understand people are going to excited about the album dropping and there will be the hype helping it out, but let's be honest, this album is average. Slightly above average at best. Sometimes music does grow on you, but if you have to force something to grow on you by listening to it over and over, maybe it's just not very good. Certainly nowhere near the level of my dark fantasy. There are a couple of good tracks though.

5/10 (I'm in a generous mood)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom