• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West & Jay-Z present: Watch The Throne

Status
Not open for further replies.
abstract alien said:
Oh yes, this is better than the damn song lol. Without the average ass lyrics from those two getting in the way of the music, this shit is getting jammed ALL day!

Yeah I'm sick of dubstep, like sick to death of it but that's still a good song. I disagree though, Jay Z goes pretty hard on that one.

Oh and I Love You so (Skream Remix) > I Love You So > Why I love You

Tom Penny

slick7rick said:
the production is fucking fantastic! absolutely love it.. the lyrics? i just wish i could say the same.

Lyrics and flows are like a freaking 5 maybe 6 to be generous out of 10. Jay fell off a cliff with his rhyming and Kanye is meh on it. When people say this shit is 4 or 5 star it's flat out LOL.

Swag

Doing my first headphone listen.

So good, will be bumping this shit for years.

Not as good as MBDTF though.

Zeth

abstract alien said:
Really, all I want is an instrumental for the first section of "who gon stop me". The lyrics are all but forgettable, but damn, that beat could hype me in the gym for hours.
Cassius- "I love you so" is pretty close.

Kanye's instincts as a producer are just off-the-charts good these days--I love all these new angles he's pushing and experimenting with; his stuff, compared to a lot of what's out there, feels fresh. And it's difficult to argue with his bravura as a rapper, either. Not as impressed with Jay Z out of this, but: sometimes he just leaves me spluttering, the way he snipes in with a lyrical bomb of awesomeness--such a grand wordsmith. Not their best work individually, but I think there's so much more that can come from this sort of collaboration. As for the "disjointed" criticism, I was very fond of its unpredictable nature, although it does fall down when you hit upon tracks like HAM.

Oozer3993

jaydogg691 said:
Did anyone else pre-order from the WTT store? I heard that if you pre-ordered from there that you would get download code for WTT. I never heard of such thing when I ordered, but I was also hoping that it was coming out on the 2nd.

I preordered from there and got a code to download it just after 12:00 AM yesterday.

Ashhong

Listening to College Dropout again made me realize how good he was. I also love the new Kanye, but that Kanye was so damn good. LIST WARS TIME?!

CD>LR>MBDTF>Graduation=808s

I would currently put WTT around MBDTF level.

DominoKid

MBDTF > LR > TCD = WTT > Graduation > 808s.

but 808s > most artists whole discography

Discotheque said:
Yeah I'm sick of dubstep, like sick to death of it but that's still a good song. I disagree though, Jay Z goes pretty hard on that one.

Oh and I Love You so (Skream Remix) > I Love You So > Why I love You

that remix is horrid.

Ashhong

I actually really like how theres the silence when I just listen through the entire album. I forget that there are bonus tracks and just sit there with no music when BAM! another song comes on out of nowhere
lol.gif

YoungHav

Banned
Still LOL'n at this album cuz! Got some good tracks but the lack of consistency is wack. Niggas in Paris for example- experimental beat, Hov does his thing and actually rides it, and then we're met with Kanye's wackness. Keep screaming and stretching them syllables guy. He is an annoying MC and I would have prefered if this album was just Jay-Z solo.

Ya'll won't be playing this album in a month. If I wanted to listen to great dubhoptripsteptrancevoodoo then I would throw on Thievery Corporation or Burial, as these guys do it well. These ziggans Kanye and Jay-Z are too pretentious for their own good and probably are surrounded by yes-men. Would be ok if they actually put in a great effort, this album is just weird lol.

YoungHav said:
I would have prefered if this album was just Jay-Z solo.
Damn right! The more I listen I would've preferred just Jay too. He murders Kanye on this, *smh* at everyone saying he's tired and Kanye got him beat, when Jay goes in he makes Kanye sound amateur.
In Paris, Gotta Have It, New Day, Welcome To The Jungle, Who Gon Stop Me, Why I Love You, Jay is killing Kanye on all these tracks absolutely. Jay is the substance of this album, he's the bread where Kanye is a thin spread of butter.
Jay has some lines that make me go "ooh" then Kanye comes in like "huhhhhhhhhhhh" and fucks that shit up :(

You guys serious about Jay murdering Kanye on tracks? I think you guys just dislike Kanye and want to believe Jay is trying hard...

I love Kanye dude. I'm even a fan of 808's so GTFO with the assumptions.
Listen again to Welcome To The Jungle and get back to me with an example of where Kanye is topping that.......

YoungHav

Banned
Zoramon089 said:
You guys serious about Jay murdering Kanye on tracks? I think you guys just dislike Kanye and want to believe Jay is trying hard...
Kanye brings down many tracks, it sounds disjointed. Perfect example is Niggas in Paris. Risky beat, Jay manages to pull off flowing on it, song sounding good and getting put well together then I gotta hear "can we get married at the MAAAAAAAUUUULL, ...BAAWWWWL... STAAAAWWWLL..."... fucking weak. Sounds wack, nigga you're not from the south, stop with the fake ass drawl, why are you yelling out stupid stretched syllables? Rather than re-record Jay just sat there with a giddy camel smile and said that shit was high tech. Kanye has no restraint as an artist and Jay-Z will dickride anything that is popular. This album doesn't surprise me at all and is what I expected, glimpses of greatness stuffed with plenty of smh moments. Distant Relatives shits on this it's not even funny. So Appalled >>>>> this whole album.

Brinbe

Ashhong said:
LIST WARS TIME?!
CD>MBDTF=LR>808>WTT=Graduation

Not much gap in between those and, 808s has really grown on me this past year.

And after listening to WTT over the past few days, I'd say it's good despite its inconsistency, but it's definitely not touching Jay or Ye's best solo work.

Esch

Banned
As a jay stan let me say there is no way this would have been good with just him on it. He has only a handful of verses that live up to his previous material on all the tracks bonuses included. Nobody murdered anyone on this. Ye and Jay didn't spit anywhere near their best; and there were no guest features to make up for that deficiency like there were on MBTDF and BP3.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
TheOddOne said:
I love this guy and usually he is spot on.
I agree with him completely on this review. His Goblin review did suck though.

mjfor40

So did everyone come back down to Earth yet? Good album but in no way does it live up to the hype or anything resembling "a classic"

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
DominoKid said:
i cant believe this guy has actually become relevant. i guess his Goblin review put him over.
He was relevant before that. That review sucked anyway, so I can't see how he gained subscribers or fans after that.

jordan0386 said:
CD is totally wack to me. Verse after verse of how great life is at the top. I get it.
this is why comparisons to MBDTF are very short-sighted. it's nowhere near the caliber of artistic creativity, personal experiences or intimacy.

edit: if you're talking about "College Dropout" rather than "this CD", ignore my comment. My comment was with regard to WTT.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Ermac said:
I've never heard of this guy before but he comes off as really pretentious imo.

it wasn't pretentious, it was just his thoughts on the album.

Brinbe

jordan0386 said:
CD is totally wack to me. Verse after verse of how great life is at the top. I get it.
We must not be listening to the same CD because there's a shitload more of that stuff in every Ye album after that. CD is arguably him at his humblest/most honest, and that's part of why I love it so much. I mean All Falls Down, Spaceship, Jesus Walks are about a great life at the top? wha

Brinbe said:
We must not be listening to the same CD because there's a shitload more of that stuff in every Ye album after that. CD is arguably him at his humblest/most honest, and that's part of why I love it so much. I mean All Falls Down, Spaceship, Jesus Walks are about a great life at the top? wha
I thought he meant "this new CD" when he said "CD". he's talking about College Dropout?

mind blown. I can't imagine anyone dismissing CD.

Brinbe

Dreams-Visions said:
I thought he meant "this new CD" when he said "CD". he's talking about College Dropout?

mind blown. I can't imagine anyone dismissing CD.
Oh, my bad then!
LLShC.gif
@ my stupidity

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Ermac said:
I've never heard of this guy before but he comes off as really pretentious imo.
I've been following him enough to know his taste. He won't hate on an album for deliberate attention. He's unpredictable sometimes but he's no Jim Sterling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom