• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West & Jay-Z present: Watch The Throne

Status
Not open for further replies.
qcf x2 said:
"Damn baby pussy can’t be your only hustle
Unless you bad as Naomi Russell
I mean a lot of niggas got money
So basically, Russell ain’t the only Russell
Russell Brand, Russell Crow
Zero Zero Zero Zero, a whole lot of 0’s"
12374_RickRoss.jpg

qcf x2 said:
"Fuck your awards like Eddie Murphy’s couch
The Roc is in the building we should have stayed in the house"
lil-wayne-liltunechi.jpg

qcf x2 said:
If it was 2 rappers you never heard of spitting lines like

"Damn baby pussy can’t be your only hustle
Unless you bad as Naomi Russell
I mean a lot of niggas got money
So basically, Russell ain’t the only Russell
Russell Brand, Russell Crow
Zero Zero Zero Zero, a whole lot of 0’s"

or

"Fuck your awards like Eddie Murphy’s couch
The Roc is in the building we should have stayed in the house"

you guys would probably laugh it off as terrible.

Nope, I'd laugh them off as awesome. Kanye's whole thing is that he has corny lyrics and even when he tries to go hard they still have corny bits where you'd shake your head if you weren't so entertained

Are you honestly saying
"Too many Urkels on your team, that's why your wins low"
isn't something that put a smile on your face?!

BigJiantRobut said:
Has anyone from OF commented on this album yet? Curious to see what they think, especially since Frank Ocean is featured.
Tyler said that he was proud of his brother Frank cause No Church was trending on Twitter.

Don't know about the rest. I'd like to see what is the reaction from other people in the rap game though.

I think the only song I don't like from the album is Made in America, in part because of Frank's chorus, just very annoying and Welcome to the Jungle, but I really like the little guitar part that plays from time to time, but the drums are awful. And Swizz's voice. And whatever the hell that background noise is, is bad.

If Made in America was not on the album, it would have been Murder to Excellence followed by Why I Love You, I think Ye knew it was too good for them to follow each other.

qcf x2

Zoramon089 said:
Are you honestly saying
"Too many Urkels on your team, that's why your wins low"
isn't something that put a smile on your face?!

That line actually really irked me when I first heard it, but while it was corny it wasn't straight up cheap, like rhyming Russell with Russell with Russell and O with O with zer-O.

Edit: and after hearing his recent masterful verses on "ET" and "Marvin Gaye & Chardonnay," I was hoping he was going to actually bring it here. Instead I think this just is what he is, and the Kanye that was listenable for me before is gone.

It's not. It's 2 established characters who we can appreciate the humor from.

Referencing the Charlie Murphy skit was played out in rap like...four yrs ago. It's not a funny line, it's a tired old man who is bringing up a tired old joke* in a completely non-clever manner. It's straight up awkward. It's like an old guy trying to be contemporary but missing entirely.

*I love Chappelle's work, he's a cool dude. Swole as fuck too. But let it die.

enzo_gt said:
i hate this thread because it informed me one of my favourite Kanye beats ever isn't actually a Kanye beat.
lolololol

still trying to wrap my head around the fact that Swizz produced the 1st half of Murder to Excellence
j8ec8w.jpg

YoungHav

Banned
GoodMorning said:
lolololol

still trying to wrap my head around the fact that Swizz produced the 1st half of Murder to Excellence
j8ec8w.jpg
same here man. Swizz one overrated mothereffer. Murder is his epic beat for the decade.

kamspy

Album sounds great on Polks. Now I gotta find the time (and room) to set up the B&Ws at the new house (just lil bookshelfs, still nice). Pass the headphone and car test too. Mastered MUCH better than MBDTF.

Also liking the content more and more. NIP is fucking awesome. Blades of Glory reference = win. I missed it the first like 10 times.

DominoKid

enzo_gt said:
i hate this thread because it informed me one of my favourite Kanye beats ever isn't actually a Kanye beat.

thats like one of the worst kept secrets in hip-hop. i remember hearing kanye explain that situation on something.

enzo_gt said:
Just listened to the needledrop review.

Mistake #1 - Calling it a pop rap album. It's not. Not in any way, shape or form.
Mistake #2 - Dismissing bragging completely as a negative point of the album, then saying in parts it's charismatic bragging so that makes it okay there.

Otherwise he's pretty on-point with his review. His scales are always on some other ish though.

Seriously? It's a pop rap album with a flurry of "extraordinarily pro black" lyrics, as Ghostface would say, mixed with vapid bragging.

I've been listening to the album for two weeks, it's warmed to me but it's not some amazing record. Jay sounds lost, Kanye sounds ridiculous at times. But it is definitely a pop record.

cacophony

PhoenixDark said:
Seriously? It's a pop rap album with a flurry of "extraordinarily pro black" lyrics, as Ghostface would say, mixed with vapid bragging.

I've been listening to the album for two weeks, it's warmed to me but it's not some amazing record.
Jay sounds lost, Kanye sounds ridiculous at times. But it is definitely a pop record.

yeah no one's buying that with your 'lyrics' from the album

You said it's your first time, well aite I part the red sea: Moses
You gotta man? Lemme take his trophy like USC: roses

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
PhoenixDark said:

I've been listening to the album for two weeks, it's warmed to me but it's not some amazing record. Jay sounds lost, Kanye sounds ridiculous at times. But it is definitely a pop record.
Yes, seriously. Pop-rap has to have radio-ready singles. Pop = Popular = Radio. None of these songs are made for radio or sound ready for radio. Possibly Lift Off, but the verses fall massively flat on that song. None of the other songs sound like anything I'd hear on the radio anymore really.

Man, I keep listening to Gotta Have It. If the whole album was similar to that song it would be an instant classic to me. They're both totally on the same page on that song, can't say that about many tracks on the album. Everything just works perfectly on that song.

Really, they could have taken a page out of Bad Meets Evil, it would have helped especially with the pretty great production on the album.

First of all son....Lionel Richie called from 1986 n said he wants his song back yo. Word. Sade jus holla'd on twitter to say this shit is soft as fuck namsayin. I think Elton John wants to conceive babies to this joint b. Drake said he gon soak in his lotion pool to this shit rite here for like a week son. I think Wiz Khagina is scissorin wit Amber Rose to this shit rite now as we speak yo. I heard this shit gon be used for the next Gwyneth Paltrow movie too.

lol

DominoKid

Big Ghost review said:
Like I swear I can hear Gudda Gudda gettin his mediocre on in the background for the first 2:43 minutes.

lmfao.

Big Ghost review said:
9. Who Gon Stop Me - Now THIS shit is a problem yo. When it started the god was like ok cool....you kno...I was enjoyin it....the bassline was soundin like a lion growlin n shit. There wasa ill mood to it. Im diggin the joint namsayin....but then it starts really transformin into a monster after a couple minutes....n its like yo...we got a serious contender for best song on the album now. By the middle it sounds like niggas is drivin Lamborghinis around in the studio n drums is hittin like automatic weapons. I love this track son.

thats probably the best description of this track i've heard.

The M.O.B

RBelong2Us said:
Man, I keep listening to Gotta Have It. If the whole album was similar to that song it would be an instant classic to me. They're both totally on the same page on that song, can't say that about many tracks on the album. Everything just works perfectly on that song.

Really, they could have taken a page out of Bad Meets Evil, it would have helped especially with the pretty great production on the album.

I think we found the guy who was spamming the listening room.

Ayo Snoop Budden...nobody gon need to hear you gettin ya "One hand in the air if you dont really care" on durin the hooks to no joints ever ever ever again son. Jus go back to contaminatin whats left of Alicia Keys n stop cashin in those favors niggas owe you to get on these high profile joints you malnourished ass lookin muthafucka.

shit is leaving me out of breath

nns3d

The Ghostface review was probably the best review I've read for this album.

8. Welcome To The Jungle - If Jay gon insist on usin this niggas bullshit ass beats still...the least he can do is make sure that Swizzy dont go near the booth yo. Ayo Snoop Budden...nobody gon need to hear you gettin ya "One hand in the air if you dont really care" on durin the hooks to no joints ever ever ever again son. Jus go back to contaminatin whats left of Alicia Keys n stop cashin in those favors niggas owe you to get on these high profile joints you malnourished ass lookin muthafucka. Son been urinatin wackness on these songs for years now b.... so can we jus acknowledge that the nigga got no business actin like he kno how to put together a hook now n stop lettin this whippet lookin muthafucka get near a mic?

:lol

YoungHav

Banned
See, why can't Kanye spit like he does on 'Murder'? He just raps, none of that corny ass punchline and whiney fat rich 7th grader flow crap.
polyh3dron said:
you mean underrated don't you...
nope, meant overrated. Swizz has been hit and miss, moreso miss, like a motherfucka his whole career. Not a fan, so many producers better but the guy is still well known. Overrated.

This is probably the first album ever where I'm like "Swizz had the best beat on the album". Maybe first time since DMX's debut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom