• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West & Jay-Z present: Watch The Throne

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominoKid

i wonder how long songs are gonna keep trending.

36+ hrs later and Who Gon Stop Me, Lift Off and Murder to Excellence are still going

forrest

formerly nacire
After Dark Twisted Fantasy, this is a bit meh for me. There are some good tracks, but they are far overshadowed by some terribly awful tracks. I'm not sure what they were thinking on a few of these.

Sullichin

YoungHav said:
Kanye brings down many tracks, it sounds disjointed. Perfect example is Niggas in Paris. Risky beat, Jay manages to pull off flowing on it, song sounding good and getting put well together then I gotta hear "can we get married at the MAAAAAAAUUUULL, ...BAAWWWWL... STAAAAWWWLL..."... fucking weak. Sounds wack, nigga you're not from the south, stop with the fake ass drawl, why are you yelling out stupid stretched syllables? Rather than re-record Jay just sat there with a giddy camel smile and said that shit was high tech. Kanye has no restraint as an artist and Jay-Z will dickride anything that is popular. This album doesn't surprise me at all and is what I expected, glimpses of greatness stuffed with plenty of smh moments. Distant Relatives shits on this it's not even funny. So Appalled >>>>> this whole album.

Kanye's stretched syllables are pretty fucking annoying. At least he's not auto tuned to hell in this album.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
It's almost factual that Murder to Excellence is the only amazing track on this album.

mooooose

Ermac said:
I've never heard of this guy before but he comes off as really pretentious imo.
He's such a fucking loser. Not a nerd, but a loser. He overanalyzes everything to the point of hipsterdom and back with cynicism laced on top and he would be proud that I'm even saying this. He's the ultimate tool.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
mooooose said:
He's such a fucking loser. Not a nerd, but a loser. He overanalyzes everything to the point of hipsterdom and back with cynicism laced on top and he would be proud that I'm even saying this. He's the ultimate tool.
So there's no way he just didn't like the album? His pseudo hipster persona just did it for the lols right?

I really love this album, although I also loved Dark Twisted Fantasy so I'm sure that invalidates my opinion to many. It's way better than Blueprint III, that's for damn sure.

DominoKid

mooooose said:

this is how i feel. even when he gives positive reviews to shit i like. he's got a very punchable face.

My god, this album is even better when I'm sober. For some reason I wasn't really feeling That's My Bitch yesterday, but damn, that beat is bananas.

mooooose

Dr Eggman said:
So there's no way he just didn't like the album? His pseudo hipster persona just did it for the lols right?
I've seen enough of his videos and reviews to know that if something has commercial backing or hype of any kind he loves to say his expectations were let down, NO MATTER HOW GOOD IT IS. However, if it's a no budget indie album he gives the artist total benefit of the doubt but still shrouds his reviews with the names of musical devices to make himself sound better when a lot of the time the musician isn't that deep.

Just like in his interview for this, he complained that Ye and Hov were drunk off their egos and wanted them to make music with a harder hitting impact. Ye makes some good concept songs but overall they seem WAY more forced and trite than shit like Niggas in Paris which comes off 100X more natural. He also calls That's My Bitch CHEAP? He has no idea what he's talking about in production. Like one of the other posters here (who is/was an producer/engineer) said the drums are completely chopped (this hipster said they were boring and cheap), cheap scratches, and cheap synths. How was the synth cheap?! It was droaning and bass-y and unsettling without sounding cheap at all. It sounded full. Overall, synths ALWAYS end up sounding a little "cheap" by the nature of the beast. He just loves to complain about shit.

He's a fucking nerd bro.

Hey, this record isn't total shit. What's happened! Jay Z isn't as horrible as he's been in recent years. Sure he's no Black Album era, but he's doing it. And the beats are great.

kamspy

You guys are over thinking it.

Shit is gonna be a party anthem album for years. So many quotable lines. Yes most are silly, but they're having fun.

I can already picture myself spinning my shirt over my head yelling "That shit cray, that shit cray, that shit cray."

cacophony

that shit
iZLib.gif

GamerSoul

brianjones said:

I use to listen to this track everyday, brings back memories.

Dude was money everytime no matter where he was on the track. Touch the sky, Slow Jamz, Celebrity over night, etc.

kamspy said:

Shit is gonna be a party anthem album for years. So many quotable lines. Yes most are silly, but they're having fun.

I can already picture myself spinning my shirt over my head yelling "That shit cray, that shit cray, that shit cray."

lol

mooooose

brianjones said:
Fun fact: Kanye didn't produce this. He owed Cam some tracks on a deal gone sour and let Cam have his pick, so Cam picked this and what would become Dipset Forever, but Cam didn't know that even though the beats were in Ye's stash they wre actually made by Brian Miller, a producer Ye collaborated with on College Dropout and worked on many other Rocafella releases during this time.

Amazing song though. Probably my favorite Cam song ever.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dr Eggman said:
I agree with him completely on this review. His Goblin review did suck though.
His Goblin review was flawless. Accurate to the tenth degree. Haven't watched this one yet, looking forward to it.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
There is a reason why so many songs off this are basically just the name of the beats. The lyrics and everything are just so-so throughout, but the beats are all fantastic. Not really a bad one in the bunch, IMO. No Church is the clear standout on the record, and probably the only track I'll still be bumping a year from now.

kodecraft

kamspy said:

Uh...no.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
tehbible said:
whats with the obsession with Kanye/Jay-Z ?

they're not creative at all. maybe in their earlier years but thats about it.
What obsession? Who do you consider creative then and do you have anything to back up your argument that they're not creative?

Hearing stuff like this amuses me.

tehbible said:

1/10, would have given you a better score for misspelling Kanye like "Kayne".

tehbible said:

That's fucking ridiculous. Jay-Z is not the most creative guy around, but Kanye? You may not like his stuff, but NOTHING sounds like what he does, nothing. He always comes out with some new fresh sound that people will try to copy until he releases something else.

New Day is definitely growing on me.

Man, I just checked out the digital booklet that came with the album.
That's some illuminati bullshit, I won't be surprised if we all die after listening to this album several times.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
holy fuck the album is a 100 times better with headphones, i feel like i'm on something its that good

fucking godly

GODLY

overcast

theneedle drop guy comes off as a twat. Just saying. Nothing wrong with the negative review, just he looks too much into this shit.

But seriously, it's Kanye and Jay-Z.. you don't think they'll brag for most of the album.

Edit: beaten.

cacophony

DominoKid said:
i cant believe this guy has actually become relevant. i guess his Goblin review put him over.

yeah he comes off as such a pretentious douchebag. i've seen like 3 or 4 of his reviews and he always talks about what he likes and then gives the album a fucking 4 or 5?.. I don't get it.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
cacophony said:
yeah he comes off as such a pretentious douchebag. i've seen like 3 or 4 of his reviews and he always talks about what he likes and then gives the album a fucking 4 or 5?.. I don't get it.
that's whats wrong with music reviews. there is no one person that can review music without throwing his/her opinion in.
imo

tehbible

Ashhong said:
Seriously, what do some of you expect them to be rapping about?

probably social issues, the authentic origins of 'rapping' as a means to discuss social disparities.

although, i've noticed that mainstream hip-hop has definitely gone more mickey mouse (a la drake) than the hey days of Ludacris (hos in various area codes)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just listened to the needledrop review.

Mistake #1 - Calling it a pop rap album. It's not. Not in any way, shape or form.
Mistake #2 - Dismissing bragging completely as a negative point of the album, then saying in parts it's charismatic bragging so that makes it okay there.

Otherwise he's pretty on-point with his review. His scales are always on some other ish though.

Ashhong

tehbible said:
probably social issues, the authentic origins of 'rapping' as a means to discuss social disparities.

although, i've noticed that mainstream hip-hop has definitely gone more mickey mouse (a la drake) than the hey days of Ludacris (hos in various area codes)

Well they talk about social issues in a few of the songs IIRC, most notably Murder to Excellence.

tehbible said:

Murder to Excellence? New Day? Made in America? Hell, some of the more party-hard-hell-yeah braggart songs have fairly personal issues raised in them.

So Appalled is > this entire album.

Kanye needs to cut that annoying stretched syllables shit, I'm definitely enjoying Jay Z a lot more here. Still some songs on here are pretty entertaining, but Jay is the highlight of them all.

actually Kanye is alright on Murder to Excellence as well. But that track is the best on the album.

qcf x2

Max Armstrong said:
That's fucking ridiculous. Jay-Z is not the most creative guy around, but Kanye? You may not like his stuff, but NOTHING sounds like what he does, nothing. He always comes out with some new fresh sound that people will try to copy until he releases something else.

Igotracksonracksonracks .... HAHHHHH?

But really, I don't think anybody has tried to copy Kanye. I think he's occasionally tried to position himself as the prototype for others to follow (see 808's), and he's original enough apart from his increasingly terribad lyrics, but nobody except maybe guys on his label have tried to sound like him, much less copy him. The rest of the industry kind of lets him do his thing, which is fine (again, apart from the lyrics, eww).

If it was 2 rappers you never heard of spitting lines like

"Damn baby pussy can’t be your only hustle
Unless you bad as Naomi Russell
I mean a lot of niggas got money
So basically, Russell ain’t the only Russell
Russell Brand, Russell Crow
Zero Zero Zero Zero, a whole lot of 0’s"

or

"Fuck your awards like Eddie Murphy’s couch
The Roc is in the building we should have stayed in the house"

you guys would probably laugh it off as terrible.

Robot 492

Banned
Discotheque said:
So Appalled is > this entire album.
Also; Dark Fantasy, Gorgeous, Power, Runaway > this album. MBDTF has better production and better Kanye lines, too. WTT is still good, though. If I had to rank them, I'd put WTT just behind MBDTF, CD and LR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom