• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West & Jay-Z present: Watch The Throne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afrocentric-Asian said:
The Ghostface review was probably the best review I've read for this album.

:lol

Dude cracked me up with this one

Lift Off (ft. Beyonce) - I almost aint wanna even comment on this shit son.... I dont even kno what to say bout it yo. This shit sounds like the anthem the fairies in Ferngully would use to go to war against evil humans to or some shit b. This shit is like Shia LeBeouf in song form yo. Lissenin to this shit is like havin ya ears penetrated by a million microscopic dicks namsayin. Shit sounds like niggas doin aerobics on a magical cloud of daisies. How many meadows did Kanye cartwheel across before he decided to make this beat? Seriously yo.... Jus how many lily pads did the nigga skip across the pond on before he got inspired to make some shit like this? Definitely one a the worst songs Jay ever been involved in...thats includin those lame joints off Vol 3 wit Amil n Mariah or the worst songs off Kingdom Come....EVEN the Timbo joints off Blueprint 3. Like this joint is SOFT son. Guess thats why Jay only spit like 5 n a half bars on it. Its like the song Yung Berg would play before he goes n commits his latest string of L's. Shit is jus terrible son...especially since it took like 6 niggas to produce this muthafucka.

I about died!

DominoKid

2ly0fsx.jpg

Swag

15 listens in.

1. Why I love you, Second Half of this song are the best 90 seconds on the album.
2. That's My Bitch, Can't deny the awesome that is Elly Jackson and Justin Vernon.
3. No Church in the Wild, Frank Ocean does his thing, autotune Dream though baffles me.
4. New Day, RZA CONNECT, horns on this beat shall be played on my wedding day.
5. Murder to Excellence, beat goes hard.

Everything else is good, but that's top 5. Will probably change once I get to 30+ listens.

overcast

The best part about the review is it's a positive review, yet it's still goddamn hilarious in its ripping apart of certain aspects.

The M.O.B

overcast said:
The best part about the review is it's a positive review, yet it's still goddamn hilarious in its ripping apart of certain aspects.

haha I liked that, it shows this isn't just some dude who is randomly hating everything, he likes music but isn't afraid to tell artists when they slippin.

nib95

Banned
Does anywhere sell FLAC versions of this yet? I'm still not overly impressed by the mixing. Areas seem over bright or sibilant, other times the balance of sounds doesn't seem quite perfect. Maybe they should ditch the DT770 Pro's and start mixing with something more advanced?

exarkun

I just got home from a long road trip, listened to the cd in the car a few times anddd:

I'm kind of split: There are a couple ill beats, and some pretty good "I didn't know Jay was feeling like that moments" on the album.

On the other hand, there is alot of bottle popping money making bragging and Kanye cheesing.

The weird things, is that they are intermingled in the songs themselves, so half of certain songs I want to skip to get to the good verse. And Welcome to the Jungle is trash. Jesus, why can't Beats stfu. When I hear his voice its distracting and it makes me think of how shitty his ability to make noise with his mouth is.

And wtf is Lift Off? I can't tell if I hate it or love it. I know its one or the other, but I can't tell which.

Church in the Wild is dope though. And CONGRATS to Frank Ocean. Makin his dream come true *tear*. The MC on our radio when they played the whole album honestly thought he was Usher. lulz. Bringing out my stannery right now.

Edit: Its like a 6.5 since I expected just raw ether from Jay and I got a little of it, but not enough to justify a collab with Kanye who he should spank on every track. And Kanye was...all over the place.

Dark Knight

Neo Member
I'm still a little mixed on this. I just loved what Kanye did with MBDTF and this is just a bit of a let down after that. I don't know what I was expecting, but I think a lot of my issues stem from Jay. I've never been a huge fan of his and this doesn't do anything to change that.

However, I like pretty much every song on the record, except for Lift Off, as many others have said.

Don't know if anyone else keyed into this, but I really feel like the first 1/3 of the record is more party jams, the 2/3 is more of the emotional side of things (a la 808s and MBDTF) and the last 1/3 speaks to these larger social issues.

Also, much like how Justin Vernon really came out on top in MBDTF, I think there are a lot more people paying attention to Frank Ocean after this. As a OFWGKTA fan, I'm still unsure about the staying power of Tyler, but I think Frank will be around for a long while.

TheOddOne

Wanda/Wander said:
I LOVE "Lift Off" but his review was on point. Funniest thing I've read in a long time.
Was just going to say this.
Lift Off (ft. Beyonce) - I almost aint wanna even comment on this shit son.... I dont even kno what to say bout it yo. This shit sounds like the anthem the fairies in Ferngully would use to go to war against evil humans to or some shit b. This shit is like Shia LeBeouf in song form yo. Lissenin to this shit is like havin ya ears penetrated by a million microscopic dicks namsayin. Shit sounds like niggas doin aerobics on a magical cloud of daisies. How many meadows did Kanye cartwheel across before he decided to make this beat? Seriously yo.... Jus how many lily pads did the nigga skip across the pond on before he got inspired to make some shit like this? Definitely one a the worst songs Jay ever been involved in...thats includin those lame joints off Vol 3 wit Amil n Mariah or the worst songs off Kingdom Come....EVEN the Timbo joints off Blueprint 3. Like this joint is SOFT son. Guess thats why Jay only spit like 5 n a half bars on it. Its like the song Yung Berg would play before he goes n commits his latest string of L's. Shit is jus terrible son...especially since it took like 6 niggas to produce this muthafuckap
This is brilliant.

YoungHav said:
See, why can't Kanye spit like he does on 'Murder'? He just raps, none of that corny ass punchline and whiney fat rich 7th grader flow crap.

nope, meant overrated. Swizz has been hit and miss, moreso miss, like a motherfucka his whole career. Not a fan, so many producers better but the guy is still well known. Overrated.

This is probably the first album ever where I'm like "Swizz had the best beat on the album". Maybe first time since DMX's debut.
I meant lately Swizz has been underrated. Yeah I never liked Swizz back when he did all the Casio shit and all of his "only play the black keys" melodies myself. I didn't even like Ruff Ryders Anthem or any of that shit. I laughed my ass off when I read in an interview once that he was opening up a music school. His turning point to me was when he did "I Get High" for Styles. From then on he's been constantly improving... Either that or he's slapping his name on beats he's done with uncredited collaborators.

TheOddOne

polyh3dron said:
I meant lately he's been underrated. Yeah I never liked Swizz back when he did all the Casio shit and all of his "only play the black keys" melodies myself. I didn't even like Ruff Ryders Anthem or any of that shit. His turning point to me was when he did "I Get High" for Styles. From then on he's been constantly improving... Either that of he's slapping his name on beats he's done with uncredited collaborators.
The Individualz have been signed to his label for a while now, I think they do a lot of ghost producing for him.

8. Welcome To The Jungle - If Jay gon insist on usin this niggas bullshit ass beats still...the least he can do is make sure that Swizzy dont go near the booth yo. Ayo Snoop Budden...nobody gon need to hear you gettin ya "One hand in the air if you dont really care" on durin the hooks to no joints ever ever ever again son. Jus go back to contaminatin whats left of Alicia Keys n stop cashin in those favors niggas owe you to get on these high profile joints you malnourished ass lookin muthafucka. Son been urinatin wackness on these songs for years now b.... so can we jus acknowledge that the nigga got no business actin like he kno how to put together a hook now n stop lettin this whippet lookin muthafucka get near a mic?
my sides, they hurt

DominoKid

Throavium said:
Wow, really?

That's impressive.

actually i just noticed the HAM plays (the 92 count) came from before the album.

but yeah if my rolling 7 day chart looks something like
The Throne 200+
Waka Flocka 15

Throavium

DominoKid said:
actually i just noticed the HAM plays (the 92 count) came from before the album.

but yeah if my rolling 7 day chart looks something like
The Throne 200+
Waka Flocka 15
Respect to that, I plan on spinning the album more this weekend, it's pretty neat how re-playing an album helps with appreciating it.

Acid08

Banned
"You ripped out my heart, and you stepped on it, I picked up the pieces before you swept on it"

Goddamn this song. I was fucking belting it out earlier in my car.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Acid08 said:
"5. Wale

Ayo this nigga scared of females n probably cries when he fucks. Straight up."

This is one of the funniest things I've ever seen on that blog. Whole series is fucking ridiculous.
It delivers every time. One of my favourite bits from old blogs:

4. Bow wow

This nigga rite here is a human bellybutton son. The only form of touch this nigga is capable of is a caress namsayin. Fuck outta here wit the fake Nino Brown shit too you shrimp cocktail ass nigga. This little muthafucka jus refuses to let his career die wit some honor or dignity nahmean. Word is bond this nigga is his own worst enemy too yo. The last time anybody took this nigga serious Lil Kim was still mostly made of human body parts son. Callin this nigga a clown would be givin him too much credit nahmean. If I see the nigga Imma slap his head n torso off his legs. Word is bond. Ayo Bow Wow you better stay ya bitch ass out the gods way son. If I see you Imma throw all 80 pounds of you as far as I can off the top of a buildin n then run down the stairs n hop in my whip n chase you as you flyin across the sky n hit you wit my car jus as you bout to land n then smash the whip into a brick wall son. You been warned son.

And the infamous apology to Wiz Khalifa. I really wish the original was still up.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Hope a few of these tracks have been club remixed for my clubbing night on saterday!

some of those fake song lyrics that Big Ghost wrote for Lil Waye/Drake are so freaking spot on.

I was reading it in their voices and god damn he nailed their ridiculous style lol

Esch

Banned
God i love big ghostface.

Anyway i like lift off. yeah it's softer than white cotton panties and downy pillows but i like beyonce on it.

DangerStepp

Korey said:
What's that "HAUAAGH?" thing Kanye does every other line?
I think it's more of a "HENH?!"

Dark Fantasy:
"Don't make me pull the toys out... HENH?! ...
And firin' up the engines... HENH?!..."

DangerStepp

Gotta Have It Review - Big Ghost said:
This shit also got The Godfather of Soul's voice all over it...but they aint put "featuring James Brown" on the tracklist for some reason. Guess they missed that one.
This cracked me up... and so true. What's up with that?

neptunes

DangerStepp said:
This cracked me up... and so true. What's up with that?
All I can guess is that the sample was used sparingly on "Gotta have It"

P.S. I still can't believe the Neptunes are getting all these cuts on new albums.

BIG SEAN. The GAME. Watch the Throne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom