• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West & Jay-Z present: Watch The Throne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

I am not a huge fan of Jay.. not much of a typical rap fan personally. Huge Kanye fan though so I was a little nervous coming in but about 3/4 through my first listen and it's definitely working for me. Otis even worked a little better within the context of the album and the mixing seemed a little better so it wasn't QUITE as off-putting hearing his sample repeating while they rapped over it.

Huh, I would have bet that this was John Legend on Made in America but I guess it's Frank Ocean? Dude has a great voice.

Oozer3993

Lift Off will be sent to radio on August 23rd. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ye and Jay perform it at the VMAs.

Also, Mike Dean's Twitter got hacked by some one claiming that hackers have had the album for a month but decided not to leak it.

gbuaj.png

braves01

Banned
That's my bitch has been floating around for a while before the album dropped. Is that a leak, or did they release that one early?

Oozer3993

WTT ads have infiltrated GAF.

EPIDn.png

braves01 said:
That's my bitch has been floating around for a while before the album dropped. Is that a leak, or did they release that one early?

A leak of an unfinished version from when it was intended to be on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.

Lift Off is probably the worst song on the album, seems like a horrible single choice. Jay literally sounds like he doesn't know what to do with the beat.

If it could be edited in a decent manner, That's My Bitch would make more sense. Or, as it would be edited: That's My Chick.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Hearing "Who Gon Stop Me" live will be worth the price of admission alone for the concert, I'm so unbelievably pumped to go, more then I imagined I could be.

Ashhong

Red_Man said:
Hearing "Who Gon Stop Me" live will be worth the price of admission alone for the concert, I'm so unbelievably pumped to go, more then I imagined I could be.

Fucking pissed because I waited for general public tickets and I don't think any extra tickets were released. I did it right at 10 and no tickets available. FUCK ME

PhoenixDark said:
Lift Off is probably the worst song on the album, seems like a horrible single choice. Jay literally sounds like he doesn't know what to do with the beat.

If it could be edited in a decent manner, That's My Bitch would make more sense. Or, as it would be edited: That's My Chick.

I this is for the Katy Perry crowd.

If you think about it's like the complete opposite of Otis.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oozer3993 said:
Lift Off will be sent to radio on August 23rd. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ye and Jay perform it at the VMAs.

Also, Mike Dean's Twitter got hacked by some one claiming that hackers have had the album for a month but decided not to leak it.

http://i.imgur.com/gbuaj.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
Translation: We didn't leak it because we didn't have it.

This is the saddest attempt at pretending like they got it urley ever.

Otis video just looks like pieces from the documentary slotted into brief amounts of new footage.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Ashhong said:
Fucking pissed because I waited for general public tickets and I don't think any extra tickets were released. I did it right at 10 and no tickets available. FUCK ME

That sucks man, I was afraid of that happening so bought tickets in the presale instead of trying to wait and get better seats.

Ok, something weird is going on with iTunes. It keeps trying to download the album again every time I fire it up, but I just now noticed that not only do the songs have different tags, but a couple of the songs have different track lengths. I've burned what I originally had on CD just so I can compare later, but does anyone know what's up with this? Made In America is like 7 seconds shorter on this new download.

Ashhong

PhoenixDark said:
Anyone know the name of the sample that segues between various tracks on the album (haunting guitar/drums)?

You mean the one after Church and before Illest? I've been wondering the same thing

CRS

Syracuse022 said:
What was the 3 Stacks lyric jack they refer to?
Kanye's "she turned around, looked at me, and she said, 'Alive.'" line in "Welcome to the Jungle" versus Andre 3000's "Talkin' 'bout what we gon be when we grow up. I said what you wanna be. She said, 'Alive.'" line in OutKast's "Da Art of Storytellin', Pt. 1"

dafinezt

Banned
Syracuse022 said:
What was the 3 Stacks lyric jack they refer to?
[QUOTE='Ye in Welcome To The Jungle]I asked her where she wanna be when she 25
She turned around and looked at me and said “alive”[/QUOTE]
Andre 3000 in Art Of Storytellin' Part 1 said:
Talkin bout what we gonna be when we grow up
I said what you wanna be, she said, "Alive"

Or it could be a something completely different. Somebody mentioned Ms. Jackson but I'm not entirely sure what lyric and in which song.

edit: yeah what he said

Cudder said:
It's from the Pink Panther. Seriously.
The interludes are so awkward. They don't fit into the album at all. I swear the interludes are some sort of secret Illuminati code and whoever listened to it has downloaded some sort of information into their brain and will end up dead after listening to it several ti

Yo Gotti

Banned
Finally got the album.

First listen impressions: First few tracks are boring as fuck. Gotta Have it really gets this album started for me, after that track drops it's pretty consistently good.

Biggest complaint: Kanye's verses are horrible, what the fuck happened to this man lyrically? He's got like 4 nice verses on the whole album, the rest are just noise to go over a beat at this point.

Jay is tolerable but it sounds like he's spitting throwaway rhymes for this album.

Standout Tracks:
Gotta Have it
Welcome to the Jungle
Who Gon Stop Me (What The Fuck @ Jay's verse on this)
Made in America
Murder to Excellence (2nd half)
Primetime

Overall: Besides a few tracks, the music doesn't go hard at all, no chills, 1-2 good beats but nothing incredible. Both BP3 and MBDTF were better albums than this.

Ashhong

Yo Gotti said:
Overall: Besides a few tracks, the music doesn't go hard at all, no chills, 1-2 good beats but nothing incredible. Both BP3 and MBDTF were better albums than this.

Whoa there. Theres no way thats right, namsayin'?

Yo Gotti said:
Standout Tracks:
Gotta Have it
Welcome to the Jungle

Who Gon Stop Me (What The Fuck @ Jay's verse on this)
Made in America
Murder to Excellence (2nd half)
Primetime
That's like the 3 I like the least. I guess there's something for everyone on this album.

Ashhong

EschatonDX said:
Been popular in GAF-HOP for ages now, you never seen any of his shit before?

Never. I browse Gafhop once in a while but never seen this guy. I'm guessing hes just a blogger right? Not a rapper or anything?

Yo Gotti said:
BP3 on the first listen went way harder than this does.

Can't say I agree with you. I wasn't impressed with BP3 IIRC, but it's been a while, I don't really remember. You didn't like No Church in the Wild and Ni**as in Paris? =/

Esch

Banned
Ashhong said:
Never. I browse Gafhop once in a while but never seen this guy. I'm guessing hes just a blogger right? Not a rapper or anything?
Yeah, just a dude writing in a parody voice of Ghostface.

Ashhong said:
We love him in GAF-Hop. Do you know who Ghostface Killah is? He's just a blogger doing one of the best impressions of Ghostface. The contents of his posts are even funnier when you read it in Ghostface's voice.

Yo Gotti said:
BP3 on the first listen went way harder than this does.
What is this and why don't I agree with it?

Ashhong

spindashing said:
We love him in GAF-Hop. Do you know who Ghostface Killah is? He's just a blogger doing one of the best impressions of Ghostface. The contents of his posts are even funnier when you read it in Ghostface's voice.

I know who he is and of his music, but not well enough to read it in his voice or understand the impression. I should listen to more Ghostface just so that I can fully appreciate this blogger dude.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Ashhong said:

Can't say I agree with you. I wasn't impressed with BP3 IIRC, but it's been a while, I don't really remember. You didn't like No Church in the Wild and Ni**as in Paris? =/

I listened to this track twice(Niggas in Paris). It's a cool track but I dunno, it just doesn't move me. 2 short verses, the hooks are tight then it's over way too soon with some weird ass electro outro?

Jay and Kanye just don't know how to bring the energy out of a beat like this, like to H.A.M, it took Busta to get on that track and kill it proper. After Busta ripped it I couldn't go back to the Kanye/Jay version.

That's my problem with this whole album, Kanye and Jay are lyricists. On this album it just seems like they're trying so hard to brag and say nothing. Makes for a boring album to me.

Ashhong said:
I know who he is and of his music, but not well enough to read it in his voice or understand the impression. I should listen to more Ghostface just so that I can fully appreciate this blogger dude.
These are the essentials for anyone trying to get into Ghostface.
B00000K0T8.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V38226088_.jpg

Ghostface+Killah+-+Supreme+Clientele.jpg

Also add Raekwon's Only Built 4 Cuban Linx into the mix somewhere. It's practically a Ghostface album as well since he's featured in most of the tracks and in my opinion outshines the chef.

But, if you want a reminder of his voice: The World According to Pretty Toney.

BigJiantRobut said:
Time has not been kind to a lot of rap album art :lol

and those ain't even that old
Well, I mean it is the Wu. They're always so grimey.

But I don't think Supreme Clientele's art is bad at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom