• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West & Jay-Z present: Watch The Throne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tokubetsu said:
Pretty sure it's gonna be lift off. They were location scouting in NY like two weeks ago for it or so a bunch of sites were saying. Still don't understand the hate for Lift Off when New Day and Made In America are worse offenders.
I'm with you on that, can't stand that "sweet baby Jesus" shit and the "beat" itself for Made In America is the most uncreative thing on the entire album. New Day doesn't sound like something the RZA would do and is just as milquetoast to me. Lift Off at least sounds like some effort was put into it on the production side of things and Beyonce's hook is a million times better than "sweet baby jesus, hoo hoo hoooooo hooooooo"

Recon

Banned
polyh3dron said:
I'm with you on that, can't stand that "sweet baby Jesus" shit and the "beat" itself for Made In America is the most uncreative thing on the entire album. New Day doesn't sound like something the RZA would do and is just as milquetoast to me. Lift Off at least sounds like some effort was put into it on the production side of things and Beyonce's hook is a million times better than "sweet baby jesus, hoo hoo hoooooo hooooooo"

The biggest problem i have with Lift Off is that Jay sounds like he doesn't know what the fuck he is doing on the track.

Tokubetsu

jobber said:
you don't remember the great Dipset vs. old NY rap war?

2001-2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdaEQpCjaVQ&t=2m27s

that's just a sample

Cam went at Jay-Z a few times

Jay-Z responded twice.

Repercussions: it basically broke up the Rocafella crew into 2 sides. Dame sided with Cam. Kanye was neutral doing beats for both sides.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjVGft5wqSc
Dipset won the war but couldn't stay together enough to capitalize after Cam went after 50.

if you were referring to the album...It wasn't a track where Jay spazzed out. Until The Black Album, every album had a good intro track where Jay would black out on to set the mood of the album. This album has a bunch of singing shit. I don't hold it against Jay tho since technically this isn't an official Jay-Z album. I think of this as a Best Of Both Worlds part 2.

Lesson here is that rap beef is very rarely worth it.

DominoKid

tumblr_lpsndkXB0o1qe6daao1_500.gif

Miggytronz

OH MAN I smiled the whole video. Especially knowing how mad people are gonna be they chopped a Maybach LOLOLOLOL people are gonna be so soso mad.

no way can Lift Off be less horrible than Made in America or New Day.

the beat itself is just...dear God I haven't heard something that bad in a while (mind you I don't go out searching for bad shit). Gonna have to switch every time it's on the radio

Discotheque said:
no way can Lift Off be less horrible than Made in America or New Day.

the beat itself is just...dear God I haven't heard something that bad in a while (mind you I don't go out searching for bad shit). Gonna have to switch every time it's on the radio

it's funny because the last 25 seconds of Lift Off are actually kinda dope, lol

Appleman

You guys are nuts, I don't even mind the hook and beat of Lift Off, but the verses are just flat as hell. Ye just mumble-singing his way through his "verses" and Jay just seeming lost...

Appleman said:
You guys are nuts, I don't even mind the hook and beat of Lift Off, but the verses are just flat as hell. Ye just mumble-singing his way through his "verses" and Jay just seeming lost...
To be fair, I usually care more about beats than the actual rapping. As long as the lyrics/flow aren't complete trash or distracting, I can enjoy a song with an awesome beat. On the flip side, unless the rapping is TRANSCENDANT, I get bored if the beat isn't all that. In other words, I have more tolerance for bad/mediocre rapping with an awesome beat than I have for good rapping with a boring/terrible beat. That's probably blasphemy to HipHop GAF but that's my personal preference. Probably explains why I've been a fan of Kanye lately. Dude's not the greatest rapper but his beats are usually different or at least more interesting than anything else out there.

Appleman

GuitarAtomik said:
To be fair, I usually care more about beats than the actual rapping. As long as the lyrics/flow aren't complete trash or distracting, I can enjoy a song with an awesome beat. On the flip side, unless the rapping is TRANSCENDANT, I get bored if the beat isn't all that. In other words, I have more tolerance for bad/mediocre rapping with an awesome beat than I have for good rapping with a boring/terrible beat. That's probably blasphemy to HipHop GAF but that's my personal preference. Probably explains why I've been a fan of Kanye lately. Dude's not the greatest rapper but his beats are usually different or at least more interesting than anything else out there.

Normally I'd be with you, but the verses are just SO BAD that even the best beats couldn't make up for that vocal chord diarrhea...

jobber said:
you don't remember the great Dipset vs. old NY rap war?

2001-2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdaEQpCjaVQ&t=2m27s

that's just a sample

Cam went at Jay-Z a few times

Jay-Z responded twice.

Repercussions: it basically broke up the Rocafella crew into 2 sides. Dame sided with Cam. Kanye was neutral doing beats for both sides.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjVGft5wqSc
Dipset won the war but couldn't stay together enough to capitalize after Cam went after 50.

if you were referring to the album...It wasn't a track where Jay spazzed out. Until The Black Album, every album had a good intro track where Jay would black out on to set the mood of the album. This album has a bunch of singing shit. I don't hold it against Jay tho since technically this isn't an official Jay-Z album. I think of this as a Best Of Both Worlds part 2.

Cam killed Jay-Z, anyone that says otherwise is delusional. Jay-Z was afraid to respond directly, but did a diss on the Ballin beat when Jim Jones dissed him lol.

"calls his sandals slippers (can't justify them)" :O

DangerStepp

OG Kush said:
Last Call - Kanyes best track and beat IMO. very heartfelt...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q602739kBr4

also in it he raps:
"So I don't listen to the suits behind the desk no more
You niggaz wear suits 'cause you can't dress no more"

and then he started the rosewood suits movement... hehe just a funny thing I noticed..
Totally one of my favorites... The College Dropout can play straight through all day.

But there's some sort of raw honestly that draws me in towards the end of the album...it starts with "Through the Wire" and runs throughout "Family Business" and ends with "Last Call". All songs that deal with fresh topics at the time of release and something very different and pleasing to listen to.

Pure gold, man. I'm going to give TCD a spin. Peace, friends.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
DangerStepp said:
Totally one of my favorites... The College Dropout can play straight through all day.

But there's some sort of raw honestly that draws me in towards the end of the album...it starts with "Through the Wire" and runs throughout "Family Business" and ends with "Last Call". All songs that deal with fresh topics at the time of release and something very different and pleasing to listen to.

Pure gold, man. I'm going to give TCD a spin. Peace, friends.
I, to this day I think two words > through the wire. Don't get me wrong I fucking love through the wire. But two words is just. Wow.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
otis video is awesome, fucking badass meter is through the roof

First watch the throne alcohol session, shit is gonna be a good night fellas

Alright I admit this is growing on me a bit. Might be because I don't want to feel like I wasted my money.

Starting to like Who Gon Stop Me. It would be better with someone with a more versatile flow, Jay just seems overwhelmed towards the end.

This is a 5/10 without including the bonus tracks that push it to a 6.5/10. What a boneheaded move leaving 3 of the best track in the album off the standard release.

DangerStepp

Kentpaul said:
otis video is awesome, fucking badass meter is through the roof

First watch the throne alcohol session, shit is gonna be a good night fellas
Spike Jonze, son.

The same man who brought you Weezer's Buddy Holly, Beastie Boys's Sabotage, and California by Wax (that video with the dude on fire...) :p
The man is a genius.

Complex Shadow said:
I, to this day I think two words > through the wire. Don't get me wrong I fucking love through the wire. But two words is just. Wow.
I'll be hearing that on my play-through. It's difficult to play favorites on this album. :)

I fucking hate Made in America, but I like No church in the wild. I'm very new to Frank Ocean In fact WTT is the first time I've ever heard his voice. Problem is that I find his work on WTT to be very polarizing. Is he worth listening to? Are his lyrics more like the chorus on No Church in The Wild or like Made in America?

nns3d

mysticwhip said:
I fucking hate Made in America, but I like No church in the wild. I'm very new to Frank Ocean In fact WTT is the first time I've ever heard his voice. Problem is that I find his work on WTT to be very polarizing. Is he worth listening to? Are his lyrics more like the chorus on No Church in The Wild or like Made in America?

I didn't like Frank on WTT either, but I tthought his Nostalgia, Ultra tape was pretty good. Novacane's been getting love from the radio stations so you might want to check that out.

mysticwhip said:
Frank Ocean is pretty cool. His mixtape/album is out there for free so you might as well check it out (Nostalgia/Ultra). His cameo on Tyler's album is my jam too (Tyler The Creator - She (feat. Frank Ocean)).

Oozer3993

So just how did Kanye and Jay-Z avoid leaks? I'm glad you asked.

Taking C.I.A.-like precautions to ensure that the album was released on their own terms, the duo successfully staved off hackers with a leak-proof strategy -- an anomaly for an industry consistently brought to its knees by web-savvy individuals eager to share unreleased material with the world.

Also, a Watch the Throne store has popped up in New York. It will be open until Sunday, and Jay-Z is rumored to be making an appearance there tonight.

DominoKid

Wendel Clark said:
Cam killed Jay-Z, anyone that says otherwise is delusional. Jay-Z was afraid to respond directly, but did a diss on the Ballin beat when Jim Jones dissed him lol.

"calls his sandals slippers (can't justify them)" :O

Jay always loses the battle but he wins the war.

He got Beyonce, he got maaaaad money, maaad #1 albums/hits, a few classic albums.
They have....that victory. which in the grand scheme of things aint shit

Still though Nas made him cry and that's fucking hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom