• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (OT 2?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acid08

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:
I've warmed up a bit to the album, but there are some nagging problems during the 2nd half that just don't allow it to reach "God tier" like it has for a lot of people.

- The beat for the rapping portion of Devil In A New Dress is soooo boring. I really don't enjoy it at all. The break down in the middle is great, but the rest is mehhh.

- The 3 minute distorted autotune extension of Runaway is completely unnecessary. I have no problems with a long instrument solo, but this is just repetitive, and 2 minutes too long.

- The Chris Rock skit on Blame Game is too much. Funny the first time, but it's an instant skip every time after that. I'm not a fan of 2+ minute skits in non-storytelling environments (unlike a Masta Ace, or Raekwon skit which REALLY add to the album) so I immediately faded out the skit around 5:35, and replaced it on my iPod.

It's a shame because tracks 1-7 are really solid, then Devil In A New Dress and Runaway come on and totally kill the momentum for FIFTEEN MINUTES before Hell Of A Life picks it back up(and which also doesn't get nearly enough love.)

Hell Of A Life -> Blame game (minus Chris Rock) -> Lost In The World is a strong finish though.
I don't think the Blame Game skit is supposed to be funny. I enjoy listening to it every time I listen to the song.

Acid08 said:
I don't think the Blame Game skit is supposed to be funny. I enjoy listening to it every time I listen to the song.
I'm pretty sure that's why they called on Chris Rock instead of like...anyone else in the world NOT making their fortune as a comedian.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ken Masters said:
because he's moved on
Why not something like the dropout bear stuck in a dark, twisted fantasy like that red and black fan album cover from a while back? You say this like it's out of Ye's reign or willpower to do this.

enzo_gt said:
Why not something like the dropout bear stuck in a dark, twisted fantasy like that red and black fan album cover from a while back? You say this like it's out of Ye's reign or willpower to do this.

Well, Ye himself in an interview said he's trying to aim for new things. When asked if there is a possibility that the Dropout Bear will come back in the future, he said it's a possibility. As much as I like the bear, deep down I feel that he's moved on...

Unless after Watch the Throne, the next Kanye album will actually be Good Ass Job...

Ashhong

Dartastic said:
Is there going to be a GOOD song this week? I hope so. Right now it's not looking like it, is it? =(

There will be. It's just late like it has been the past few weeks.

Well this is fucking stupid

5191198183_2b1107711e.jpg

Why the fuck is the album art AND the cover art censored? Keep in mine that he chose to use the Ballerina cover art as the default art. Cudi has real naked women on his, what the fuck Kanye?

Oh also, the non-deluxe version doesn't seem to have a replaceable cover. Looks like one picture to me

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1606/img1018a.jpg

(pic was too big and im too lazy to rehost)

Pinko Marx said:
I think what I'ma do to make MBDTF go from a good LP to an AWESOME one: I'm gunna make my own Dark Twisted Fantasy with a collection of tracks from the album and some of the good friday releases. Make it more of a boom-bap album like Yeezy promised.

Songs I'm thinking of including:
Lord Lord Lord
Chain Heavy
Take One for the Team
Looking for Trouble

And from the album:
Dark Fantasy
Power
Monster
So Appalled
Devil in a New Dress
Runaway
Hell of a Life
Lost in the world.

Dunno what order I'm gunna put them in. But yeah, I like this idea.

Damn, had this same exact idea:lol

As for Cudi's deluxe album having naked women, it was not the album art having them, it was an artbook included that had the naked white girl titties.

But I can see why this is ridiculous. Ah well, I don't like George Condo's art anyhow.

PBY

Banned
I still have no idea how that picture of the ballerina is the final cover; the sword in the head is way better

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ashhong said:
There will be. It's just late like it has been the past few weeks.

Well this is fucking stupid

5191198183_2b1107711e.jpg

Why the fuck is the album art AND the cover art censored? Keep in mine that he chose to use the Ballerina cover art as the default art. Cudi has real naked women on his, what the fuck Kanye?

Oh also, the non-deluxe version doesn't seem to have a replaceable cover. Looks like one picture to me

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1606/img1018a.jpg

(pic was too big and im too lazy to rehost)
WHAT THE FUCK KANYE? I have to get the deluxe now :(

And so, are we all fairly confident that See Me Now is the only true bonus track? Kanye let Chain Heavy go, but it looks like all those other tracks like Pure and Mama's Girlfriend will end up as G.O.O.D. Friday tracks and were never really bonus tracks int he first place.

Speaking of G.O.O.D. Fridays, looks like today's going to end up like a G.O.O.D. Saturday like when Looking For Trouble came out :lol

Ashhong

enzo_gt said:
WHAT THE FUCK KANYE? I have to get the deluxe now :(

And so, are we all fairly confident that See Me Now is the only true bonus track? Kanye let Chain Heavy go, but it looks like all those other tracks like Pure and Mama's Girlfriend will end up as G.O.O.D. Friday tracks and were never really bonus tracks int he first place.

Speaking of G.O.O.D. Fridays, looks like today's going to end up like a G.O.O.D. Saturday like when Looking For Trouble came out :lol

I'm not sure about that. There were confirmations by various people on twitter about the bonus tracks. I guess we'll jsut have to wait until Monday to see for sure. I think I read Chain Heavy is a bonus track, but that version will only have Ye on it..

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ashhong said:
I'm not sure about that. There were confirmations by various people on twitter about the bonus tracks. I guess we'll jsut have to wait until Monday to see for sure. I think I read Chain Heavy is a bonus track, but that version will only have Ye on it..
Still, that logic from these random sources that Ye will put out a different version, or even a gimped version feature-wise of Chain Heavy is what immediately think these different people are talking out of their asses.

So far, people with the actual album have said that See Me Now isn't even on the disc, and people who've bought it on iTunes in the countries where it's already out say See Me Now is the only bonus track from iTunes. This versus the zero evidence of all these other people's claims, makes it pretty clear to me this is all we're getting. And Pure, Chain Heavy and Mama's Boyfriend were probably given to Amazon or whoever as potential bonus tracks by the label, which Kanye pulled the plug on.

We can only hope for them showing up as G.O.O.D. Friday tracks now, a-la Chain Heavy.

RE: Chain Heavy. I love this song. Kanye's verses are dope as fuck. Talib's too, for the most part.

Ashhong

Ken Masters said:
What advantage is there for getting the deluxe version besides the Runaway DVD (I thought the film was amateur hour)?

Runaway movie was cool. But I did hear that the quality is kinda crappy, not in HD.

The deluxe version allows for different covers. You can change it to any of those in the picture I posted above. I dont think regular version does that.

Someone must have been taking the piss with the censored disc art. The censorship was only required for the cover :lol

Glad it isn't censored here (I don't have mine yet)

42456dbca1435922800.jpg

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Where are you guys getting these pics from? I demand MOAR.

I want an unboxing vid with someone in a Dropout Bear costume unboxing the deluxe edition. Now.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Fixed2BeBroken said:
eh....no good friday yet? is he not doing it? hmmmm
He's currently adding See Me Now to every single MBDTF disc one by one, I assume.

But really, I want another track today :(

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ashhong said:
I would be So Appalled if he doesnt release a GOOD Friday track on the weekend before his album's release...
Maybe he's Lost in the World of press events he has to do, perhaps even internationally.

Dreams-Visions said:
mine shipped today. :D

Shipped on a weekend? What sorcery is this?

I'm gonna have to wait since I probably won't be rolling by any stores. Hopefully I get it on Tuesday. CD Quality cuzzz

thetechkid

toasty_T said:
Shipped on a weekend? What sorcery is this?

I'm gonna have to wait since I probably won't be rolling by any stores. Hopefully I get it on Tuesday. CD Quality cuzzz

Mine shipped yesterday, buts all the way across the country so I'll probably get mine Tuesday.

hubes

i dunno if anyone posted it but the G.O.O.D Friday track this week is "Whoopty Doo" and it has Big Sean and Cyhi on it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
hubes said:
i dunno if anyone posted it but the G.O.O.D Friday track this week is "Whoopty Doo" and it has Big Sean and Cyhi on it.
How do you know this?

And the juxtaposition of Big Sean/CyHi & "Whoopty Doo" makes me laugh for some reason

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
blame space said:
anyone else growing to hate the mastering on this album? it's almost unlistenable on headphones.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Though am I the only one who notices a pretty stark fuzz over Rihanna's voice at around 1:27 or so?

I haven't been listening to much of this album recently, just cause I've listened to it so much and don't want to kill it for myself. Though listening to Power again is so awesome. You forget so easily how great that song is. It really is one of the best on the album.

LCfiner

toasty_T said:
Someone must have been taking the piss with the censored disc art. The censorship was only required for the cover :lol

42456dbca1435922800.jpg

that CD print image is still censored, you know. it’s just more subtle

PBY

Banned
toasty_T said:

42456dbca1435922800.jpg
this image is the stuff of nightmares

Ashhong

LCfiner said:
that CD print image is still censored, you know. it’s just more subtle

It's actually pretty genius. That center thing becomes one HUGE nipple :lol

Ken Masters said:
the album is in stores in 2 days and it's still uncertain?

Well I'm pretty sure I read people saying that its an iTunes bonus, but I don't have a source and I wasn't sure if I remembered correctly.

Ashhong

enzo_gt said:
Maybe he's Lost in the World of press events he has to do, perhaps even internationally.

Damn I missed this earlier.

He should just follow All of the Lights to find his way Home.

BAM TWO! (sorta)

speaking of Lost in the World, I think it grew to my number 1 song. The beat is just fantastic in every way possible. The entire second half after his verse is just beautiful.

enzo_gt said:

Let's not play the blame game in regards to our dark fantasy of getting free music from him consistently at the end of every week. I'm sure even though he is having one hell of a life with all these press events that it's not the cause as he has the power to still do other things as well. I mean, he's a monster at multitasking. Even though all of the lights and cameras are on him at the moment being that it's a week before his album release, he still needs to release that good friday track! he promised!

Ashhong

Fixed2BeBroken said:
Let's not play the blame game in regards to our dark fantasy of getting free music from him consistently at the end of every week. I'm sure even though he is having one hell of a life with all these press events that it's not the cause as he has the power to still do other things as well. I mean, he's a monster at multitasking. Even though all of the lights and cameras are on him at the moment being that it's a week before his album release, he still needs to release that good friday track! he promised!

Fail. I read through this expecting every track. You have let me down.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Fixed2BeBroken said:
IiHPV.gif

Ashhong said:
Agreed. Though Ashhong, I really want you to know that, when it comes to being true, at least true to me, one thing I've found, one thing I've found, oh no you Never Let Me Down.

Ashhong said:

CMOOOOON DUDE!

u guys covered the 2 already so I felt I couldn't use that.

using devil in a new dress and who would survive in america would just be a stretch and ridiculous in that paragraph. I could have incorporated the gorgeous I guess....definately runaway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom