• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, I just hope the audio isn't too loud again. The spectrogram for the last 2 albums has been absolutely awful. Clipping and lost detail everywhere.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
It was very different on the stream yesterday.

No Sia no Vic. Kanye rapping way to loud on the mix. It was a mess.

He took out Vic Mensa and Sia, added a shitty verse, and Frank Ocean outro.

I just wanted CDQ of the SNL one. :(

Yeah, and then later in a sense deleted tweet, Vic Mensa's manager claimed "Wolves ain't done yet....CDQ", so hopefully Sia & Vic Mensa are both back on there along with Frank Ocean.

Thanks 😊

I hope the final version is just a CDQ of the SNL one. Please Kanye! Don't mess with one of the best things you've ever done!

E-phonk

Banned
How long does the mastering process typically take? I'm not sure what all is involved with "mastering". I'm also so glad this made the cut.
can be anything - usually untill all parties are happy with how the final result sounds.

Sometimes that's an hour, sometimes it takes days.
Also depends on how the pre-mixing went. If the songs already sound cohesive and are mixed well it can be a quick job.
If every song sounds different and they want them to have the same feeling it can take a long time.

Kaizer

Banned
definitely throwing no more parties in the trash heap as soon as i get the album.

he should make the last few bonus tracks instead of part of the official tracklist imo. ending with wolves makes so much sense.

I feel like you can sorta look at those last tracks as bonuses tho, much like how "See Me Now" was the final track on MBDTF. When he played Fade yesterday, it almost seemed like it really wasn't on there & he was surprised how badly people were clamoring for it in the audience.

He probably a bunch of this stuff back after seeing the response from yesterday.

Meier

Probably old news to most in this thread, but I was just looking at NME and saw this on their sidebar:

NMECover-Kanye-Masterpiece-120216.magazine.jpg

Will have to check this article out.

NotLiquid

Again, I just hope the audio isn't too loud again. The spectrogram for the last 2 albums has been absolutely awful. Clipping and lost detail everywhere.

Yeah this shit is on account of (arguably) bad mastering. Rather than letting the listener use the volume knob it feels like he more wanted to just capture a huge stadium vibe to the studio sound but that just compromises the mix.

While I haven't heard the other songs aside from the ones he released online though I imagine it'll be a little more subdued considering the sound he's gone for on the album, just so there can be consistency and I can't imagine Real Friends or 30 Hours blown up to ridiculous proportions like the previous albums did.

Yeah this shit is on account of (arguably) bad mastering. Rather than letting the listener use the volume knob it feels like he more wanted to just capture a huge stadium vibe to the studio sound but that just compromises the mix.

While I haven't heard the other songs aside from the ones he released online though I imagine it'll be a little more subdued considering the sound he's gone for on the album, just so there can be consistency and I can't imagine Real Friends or 30 Hours blown up to ridiculous proportions like the previous albums did.

You give me hope.

fingers crossed.

I feel like you can sorta look at those last tracks as bonuses tho, much like how "See Me Now" was the final track on MBDTF. When he played Fade yesterday, it almost seemed like it really wasn't on there & he was surprised how badly people were clamoring for it in the audience.

He probably a bunch of this stuff back after seeing the response from yesterday.

If that's the case, I'd gladly have suffered through the Tidal stream for Fade.

Man just listened again to the re-done Say You Will from his Soundcloud, it's heavenly!

Glad we got more tracks.
Fade, 30 Hours and Facts don't do much for me but NMPiLA is pretty cool, it'll be nice to have a HQ version.

number11

Facts on the album? The remix is much better, but still..

I'm worried about how cohesive this album will be. It feels like Kanye had a ton of ideas and decided to throw everything into the track list.

Depends entirely on how rough/clean a mix is already and just how many variables sonically you want to account for but mastering should ideally be the shortest part of the creative process in terms of making an album. It's basically cleaning up the mixes and making sure that you can get the highest quality peaks on all sounds without compromising quality. Now granted; the mastering on Yeezus emphasized loudness on a lot of the tracks and that's why tracks like Black Skinhead sound so unrelentlessly booming.
Was gonna bring up Rudy Van Gelder, but I think I got a bit confuzzled and mixed up mixing with mastering. I had always assumed the Gelder treatment was done during mastering, whereas it seems to be only a minute aspect of the process due to my conflation of the two.

NotLiquid

Admittedly it's going to be interesting evaluating TLOP if only because of how much personal baggage he'll have in it. Maybe that's why he's been so indecisive in contrast to Yeezus where he seemed to mostly have a laser focused angry vibe.

Kanye needs a time out after this.

Ran rp

It's crazy how there are so many Ye tracks I haven't heard yet. Didn't even know this existed.

Stuff like this sorta bothers me. Kanye has mentioned seeing psychiatrists and taking lexapro and managing his episodes in multiple songs now. He does have help. He's getting it, he's pretty open about it.

I think marrying Kim has done a lot for him too. Having a family seems to have grounded Kanye, as much as Kanye can be grounded I mean.

yo...

From the Fresh Album Art sub-reddit

That's good stuff. May change the album art to that when it drops.

oof. Lexapro is by far the worst SSRI I've ever taken in terms of side effects.

And not for nothing, the cut song I Feel Like That has a segment where Kanye reads off symptoms of clinical depression, as well as what sounds like side effects. If there's one thing dude is pretty clearly self-aware about, it's this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom