• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
zSHb.png

THE ALBUM IS FINALLY HERE

need to spin it a couple more times for it to really sink in but damn its SO GOOD

GamerJM

Banned
I think Fade should have opened the album and Ultralight Beam could have been the closer. Idk I think it would have sounded better that way.

I agree. Ultralight Beam is definitely kind of weird to me as an opener. I've seen people here say that it sets the tone for the album but I don't really see how, musically there's nothing else like it. I think as a closer that kind of music fits better, and I think its uplifting nature would be a great note to end the album on. Whereas Fade sets the tone for the rest of the album pretty well I think.

reKon

Banned
TIDAL let's choose to save cached music to your SD card instead of the device storage. Spotify does not. One L goes to spotify

Foshy

faves:

ultra light beam
father stretch my hands pt 2
freestyle 4
fml
wolves
30 hours
no more parties in la

waves and facts should've stayed off imo otherwise it's 10/10

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Maybe someone in the media can ping Defjam and get some clarity. The company that the preorders were through claimed it was coming really soon multiple hours ago.

Ye had that earlier description right when he said he made a BBQ album, that's exactly what this shit is. Really a summer jam album, he should dropped in April/may, but I'll be bumping it all summer so whatever

best:
waves ---> wolves
father stretch pt. 1 and 2
famous
fade

aiight:
feedback
ultra light beams

nah:
the rest (freestyle 4 has such a damn good beat but he wastes it)

best:
waves ---> wolves
father stretch pt. 1 and 2
famous
fade

aiight:
feedback
ultra light beams

nah:
the rest (freestyle 4 has such a damn good beat but he wastes it)

Ima group this with all those posters trying to say that cruel summer is only 50% or less, terrible assessments.

Thank u chance for getting waves on this shit, one of the best tracks.

Grassy

Just finished my first album play-through, first impressions are pretty good. I can't wait to give it a thorough work-out this week.

Ultralight Beam makes me emotional...I can't even explain, it's just a beautiful track. I hardly ever get emotional, but this was pretty much me at the end of that song:

13L1vkpHra9PoI.gif

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I wasn't so into the bits and pieces I heard from the stream and the few tracks he released over the last few weeks, but it really all came together. It feels like a greatest hits made of completely fresh stuff. It's super cool.

Like, even this version of Facts :+1:

no highlights in best? scust

hell no, it would be one of the lesser songs on a young thug slime season mixtape. there's a part where you really start to vibe with it (the ray j part) and then he does yet another beat switch smh.

facts should be in aiight category though. the rework made it much better.

btw did anybody notice how travis scott is completely absent from this one? lmao. never saw that coming. he even got post malone and chris brown in here over him.

Kiru

Yo, is it "Father Stretch My Hands Pt. 2" or just "Pt. 2"? Stupid Tidal & Kanye not being clear. I want to tag it correctly.

Did frank record his verse from a basement? What the fuck happened to the dude.

man i'm even more interested in that project than i was for this (which is extremely high up there on that list)

whatever he's doing you just know he's been working on a lot of different ideas and scrapping them. curious what he comes out with. i'm certain it won't sound like channel oragne either.

Bowlie

Banned
Okay, listened the whole album for the first time. From one point of view, I can see many styles present in his past albums and I don't think it's a whole new thing like MBDTF or Yeezus, but from another it's definitely modern while also having its own identity. I don't even know what I'm saying, gotta digest this for a while.

Plenty of powerful songs, Ultralight Beam actually moving me emotionally. As of right now, I like Fade, 30 Hours and Waves (which surprised me).

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Called the ticket company for season 3 tickets. They said that def jam hasn't said anything to them at all about the preorders. Saying I should call back on Monday....

ridiculous.

Kwixotik

It's easy to see why Tidal is failing when they've fucked up multiple aspects of like all of their high profile shit.

That said, I've got the album but I probably won't listen to it until Monday night or maybe Tuesday. I wish I could but a test I've got Monday morning has me losing my shit.

Catvoca

Banned
Digging it after the first listen. It kinda felt anticlimactic after listening to the stream, I wish I had went in completely blind. It sounds cohesive enough to me, or at least until the intermission. I like pretty much every track, but I'm not sure how many I really love. Lyrically the album has way higher highs then Yeezus, but it has just as many lows, some of his verses or even vocal production I am not feeling. I'm glad he put the bonus tracks on here at least, Fade and NMPILA are both insane. I'm gonna spin it a couple more times and see how I feel then.

Even though I like it a lot, I wish we got the album that sounds like Ultra Light Beams. I feel like that track is setting up a way more different, maybe even better, album with it's sound and vibe.

Huh, after skimming through Kanye's discography real quick post-The Life of Pablo:

1. TLOP has about the same number of tracks I like on it as Yeezus, MBDTF, 808s, and Graduation (8 or 9), the biggest difference being this one has 18 tracks vs. 10-13. I'd probably be higher on TLOP if it was a tighter album.

2. I'm really not feeling most of College Dropout anymore. Only like 5 keepers on there o__0

3. Late Registration is still easily his best.

Huh, after skimming through Kanye's discography real quick post-The Life of Pablo:

1. TLOP has about the same number of tracks I like on it as Yeezus, MBDTF, 808s, and Graduation (8 or 9), the biggest difference being this one has 18 tracks vs. 10-13. I'd probably be higher on TLOP if it was a tighter album.

2. I'm really not feeling most of College Dropout anymore. Only like 5 keepers on there o__0

3. Late Registration is still easily his best.

technically everything after wolves is bonus anyways.

man can't believe ppl were hating on post malone being on this a while back. his part is the best on fade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom