• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolOff

Doing rankings mere hours after the album's been released.

giphy.gif

Brehs.

kanye's always been a better producer than a rapper but i agree, it's really distracting me on this album in particular in a way it didn't on the last few albums.

the only one that really takes me out of the track is that basura he spits in father stretch my hands pt.1

such a nice morning beat, future metro boomin drop and hook from cudi and he gives us that.....

kanye's always been a better producer than a rapper but i agree, it's really distracting me on this album in particular in a way it didn't on the last few albums.

kanye made a name from sampling

imo years from now, new (good rappers) will make banger after banger sampling Kanye's beats and putting good verses on them

solarus

Album is great but it's not touching most of ye's albums, yeezus is leagues ahead. Not sure where to rank it yet but I like every other album more for now, listened to the tidal rip countless times and the cdq too. It's definitely good but I think I'd rank it last? That being said I love all of his albums so even a lower ranked kanye album is better than the competition. Godamn wolves has been ruined though, unforgivable. Also it's definitely the worst lyrically, the production is leagues ahead of the lyrics and the mismatch is noticeable in a way it wasn't on previous albums, he's never been the best lyricist but it's kinda painful here.

Reckoner

Not feeling The Life of Pablo. Just finished a first listening, but everything feels so incohesive and there are way too many low lows on this. The production just doesn't feel that innovative but instead is all over the place. Like I said before, I just wish Kanye went with a ULB feel for the whole album. Instead, it feels just like Yeezy didn't have a clear direction for this and spent all this time throwing ideas at the wall and this is a compillation of that. Even that intermission feels like... Well let's give them everything while we're at it!

And now I have to agree that he indeed fucked Wolves up.

I'll use a couple tracks, though.

Dishy

Unconfirmed Member
Listening on my good headphones and man the master is so terrible :( was excited to hear ULB and it's clipped to hell and back (and I suspect the rest of the album is the same). hurts to listen to almost. I know they said it's intentional but what a terrible decision.

How can an unenjoyable listening experience be intentional, don't know what they were thinking :/

Foshy

after listening to it 3 times this is my current ranking which changes every few days

1. Yeezus
2. MBDTF
3. TLOP
4. Late Registration
5. 808s
6. Graduation
7. College Dropout

that being said i like all of the albums even the bottom ones kanye's output is pure quality

FaintDeftone

I caved and signed up for the free trial of Tidal on my iPhone and immediately turned off Auto Renew. I didn't like how Apple handles the transaction through the App Store but they made it easy to prevent it from renewing.

That said, I have it downloaded and ready to go. I'll spend the day listening to it when I can and hopefully have a solid opinion on it by the end of the day.

Jay-Hova

Banned
Production on this is so fantastic

Lyrics are so bad they kind of distract from the experience

Yeezus better overall imo
The lyrics make the album for me, Kanye's song writing is why I love him, not just for Gorgeous style rippity rap, everything on this album just compliments itself so well imo.

MMaRsu

I think freestyle 4 should have a Pusha verse and Fade should be longer. Many highs, but a couple throwaway verses.

After a couple listens:

1. MBDTF
2. Late Registration
3. 808s
4. Yeezus
5. The Life of Pablo
6. Graduation
7. College Dropout

Lol his best two albums at the bottom..

What kind of kanye fans out here lmao

Do we need Tidal to listen to this shit?

Izuna

Banned
I am not feeling this at all -- and I fell in love with Yeezus faster than most. The tracks just sound like a mess. They're as messy as unreleased breakbeat songs

solarus

cmon mike, were you high as fuck when you tweeted this
MIKE DEAN! #MWA ‏@therealmikedean 4h4 hours ago
Any distortion u hear on Pablo is intentional. Stop with the clipping this and that. It's nice and edgy. Like @kanyewest

I wish he wouldn't half ass it.

Jay-Hova

Banned
I feel it's easily his least cohesive album and least innovative. I need more listens tho.
How is this any less "cohesive" than Late Registration (my current favorite), I mean that's practically just Kanye throwing together good songs and hits with no real direction, just look at the tracklist and try to piece it together.

exclusive on Tidal until tomorrow right? right? ;_;

why Kanye whyyy

btw I guess I am on the minority, but I never really cared much about lyrics in songs, in fact, the majority of music or the songs I love don't have any. Kanye delivers in what I like, but if I truly concentrate only on lyrics, I understand some of the sentiment.

ughhhhh

Servbot24

Banned
This album has some awesome ideas but I think it will turn out to be my least favorite to listen to, kinda like MBDTF in that way

Sure and I think rating Graduation and College dropout as his worst two albums is quite insane

If he has a consensus worst album it's probably Graduation. Though I disagree that its his worst.

After a few listens it's clearly above Yeezus, 808s and Graduation for me but it's way too incohesive to touch CD, LR and MBDTF. You can tell that this was thrown together last minute, which has its charm, I guess, but the overall product suffers. Still, quite a few keepers on it.

Wish it had Thugga on Famous and the real Fewch.

Sure and I think rating Graduation and College dropout as his worst two albums is quite insane

Graduation is a recycle bin classic if I've ever seen one. Not even Flashing Lights redeems it.

Lol his best two albums at the bottom..

What kind of kanye fans out here lmao

Do we need Tidal to listen to this shit?

I love all his albums so it's not really a diss, but CD and Grad have too much bloat to be ranked higher(especially CD). The standout tracks are amazing though.

SomTervo

How is this any less "cohesive" than Late Registration (my current favorite), I mean that's practically just Kanye throwing together good songs and hits with no real direction, just look at the tracklist and try to piece it together.

Isn't Late Reg the whole 'cinematic narrative' record? Like he worked with a cinema producer to make the whole thing a cohesive narrative?

It's the one I've listened to least, for the record. Just repeating what a die-hard friend of mine said. And when I did listen to LR it sounded v. cohesive.

Matush

Holy shit, album is wack as hell. I loved Kanye during his first years, CD and LR are in my eyes his best work. Too bad his recent outputs (Yeezus and TLOP) are bad (for me) and basically serve to one thing, to masturbate his ego... I guess "I don't get them" / I'm not pretentious enough to like it.

I love all his albums so it's not really a diss, but CD and Grad have too much bloat to be ranked higher(especially CD). The standout tracks are amazing though.

graduation's his worst. and CD has kind of aged poorly outside of a few (really strong) tracks and the old kanye who was a lot more politically conscious and likable.

the kanye west in yeezus/life of pablo is a waaay better artist and more creative but he's also an annoying human being too and he's less concerned with rapping as well (which is fine by me, as long as he makes good songs)

Servbot24

Banned
Holy shit, album is wack as hell. I loved Kanye during his first years, CD and LR are in my eyes his best work. Too bad his recent outputs (Yeezus and TLOP) are bad (for me) and basically serve to one thing, to masturbate his ego... I guess "I don't get them" / I'm not pretentious enough to like it.

Yeah we're all just pretentious assholes pretending to like this.

Nothing is more pretentious than claiming to not be pretentious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom