• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobility

Banned
Ultralight Beams.

Father Stretch My Hands.

Waves. (THANK YOU BASED CHANCE)

FML.

Highlights.

Wolves.

30 Hours.

Fade.

RQ2VukD.gif

I really dig how minimalist the drums are and how pronounced the bass is on most tracks. Seeing comments out there that the album is unfocused and not cohesive but there's quite a bit of sonic cohesion going on in the production. The short lengths of the tracks also helps tie all the fleeting musical ideas together with propulsive pacing. 30 Hours outro runs a bit long but most everything else is nice and tight.

As far as rapping there's some quality verses and guests on here for sure, particularly in the last third. Ye stays in his comfort zone and leans heavy on the 808 style autotune vocals but it works, this project isn't straight hip hop and doesn't need crazy bars on every track.

The more I listen the more I like it. Captures the theatrics of MBDTF, the darkness of 808's, the rawness of Yeezus and the flipped soul of College Dropout-era Kanye. Feels like a natural evolution for his sonic palette while still sounding fresh, very listenable album front to back.

Yeah, feels like a compilation of all his sounds evolved and stretched to new extremes.

So is Tidal just not working for anyone?

Tried to start a free trial... And after I signed up its still not letting me.load things in the app.

Fade is such a banger. Song keeps playing every time I turn the car on (like 4 times this morning). I can't bring myself to skip it though. Just too good.

Lucid07

Yeah but he also sent in the master, earlier he was talking waiting for Tidal to release it

He deleted the tweets, but around the release we were all talking about it

Yeah, he was the one saying not to sign up to tidal because of exclusivity wasn't he?

Servbot24

Banned
For now I'd say:

1. Late Registration
2. MBDTF
3. Yeezus
4. College Dropout
5. Graduation
6 / 7. 808s / Pablo (both are still great even though ranked last )

Pablo still has plenty of digesting to do though

Kaizer

Banned
Anyone else feel like there's a lack of Ye on this album? Outside of tracks like 30 Hours, Real Friends, Facts and NMPILA (all previously released), he doesn't actually drop a whole lot of verses throughout. Not to the same degree as older albums anyway. And a lot of what he does is often elongated with singing, format or repetition, and not particularly heavy in lyrical content.

It's weird because I rewatched his two SNL performances (Wolves and ULB) and realised he basically doesn't do anything in either besides hum and mumble. In the final album version of Wolves, even though he takes up a lot more time in the track, he doesn't actually say a whole lot even then.

In that sense this album almost seems like it's less about Kanye's specific bars and smart lyrics, and more about the general music itself, in terms of production, good vibes, diverse beats and easy listening. I almost feel like the 'rap' part of it takes a bit of a back seat.

Oh definitely, I feel like this album is more a celebration of life/victory lap for him. It's not so much a bold direction as it is an amalgamation of everything he's done up to this point.

FZZ

Banned
Yeah, he was the one saying not to sign up to tidal because of exclusivity wasn't he?

Yeah.

He also sent another tweet saying he was waiting on Tidal (to upload it presumably), and then to please buy the album. He retweeted Kim's tweet too.

Courage

1. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
2. Late Registration
3. Yeezus
4. The Life of Pablo
5. 808s & Heartbreak
6. The College Dropout
7. Graduation

f0rk

If you ever want a laugh try reading the comments of a Guardian Kanye article.

This, self-appointed "New-God" artist emerges a result of a untreated major oedipal complex.

His unsheathed, (yet racially small-sized), psychological, and karmic ovipositor - appears unaffected, by his narcissistic worship of his perpetually virginal pregnant wife who is a typical parasitic "Kardashian" species..

This ludicrous shit, could lay the grounds of a fun new religion...totally paralleling past fairy tales - a testimony to his ADDHD..

The Hitler parallels here are obviously too numerous and funny to mention, outside of the fact that he could be 2020 President of the United States - overtaking the world through dance and bad music.

We could do no worse.

We are lost as a species - The Guardian, remains in the forefront of social policy trend-setters, giving controversial asshole's more attention than they deserve.

However, they remain the only harbinger confirming Nostradamus' global euthanasia predictions.

Kanye West is NOT a musician. I am a musician. Kanye has never suffered in the forgotten back rooms of his childhood sweating, bleeding and enduring the laughter and put downs of his family and friends.
At best maybe you should call him a "coder" since he uses computer code and applications to dissect what already was and re develop it as something new because he speaks his own words over top. At best he should be called a lyricist. I might give credit for arrangement but I know how modern recording sessions go and I'm sure there is a far more competent "coder" running the final mix. But he IS NOT A MUSICIAN.

Anyone else feel like there's a lack of Ye on this album? Outside of tracks like 30 Hours, Real Friends, Facts and NMPILA (all previously released), he doesn't actually drop a whole lot of verses throughout. Not to the same degree as older albums anyway. And a lot of what he does is often elongated with singing, format or repetition, and not particularly heavy in lyrical content.

It's weird because I rewatched his two SNL performances (Wolves and ULB) and realised he basically doesn't do anything in either besides hum and mumble. In the final album version of Wolves, even though he takes up a lot more time in the track, he doesn't actually say a whole lot even then.

In that sense this album almost seems like it's less about Kanye's specific bars and smart lyrics, and more about the general music itself, in terms of production, good vibes, diverse beats and easy listening. I almost feel like the 'rap' part of it takes a bit of a back seat.
I noticed this as well. Although Yeezus was almost all Kanye with very few guest features so I'm okay with a different approach this time.

I'd argue the rap part has taken a back seat since 808s and Kanye is a different artist, for better or for worse.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I miss the old Kanye, straight from the 'Go Kanye
Chop up the soul Kanye, set on his goals Kanye
I hate the new Kanye, the bad mood Kanye
The always rude Kanye, spaz in the news Kanye
I miss the sweet Kanye, chop up the beats Kanye
I gotta to say at that time I'd like to meet Kanye
See I invented Kanye, it wasn't any Kanyes
And now I look and look around and there's so many Kanyes
I used to love Kanye, I used to love Kanye
I even had the pink polo, I thought I was Kanye
What if Kanye made a song about Kanye
Called "I Miss The Old Kanye," man that would be so Kanye
That's all it was Kanye, we still love Kanye
And I love you like Kanye loves Kanye

Lol..

Highlights has plenty of rapping. You just need to listen past the first minute

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that one as well. But overall there is just too little rapping. I don't know what I was expecting, but i sure was hoping for a nice balance between it all, something MBDTF did perfectly.

instant skip

This album captures the spirit of finding solace in an AA group after the drunken, blackout, angry, industrial pent-up-destruction that was Yeezus.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Early verse of the year 2016 contender.

MercuryLS

Banned

I love this, it's so Kanye lol

Honestly I enjoy the album overall, and I think Ye is a good producer, but on the majority of the tracks here I'm just not getting enough from him as a rapper. Like, just in terms of his flow and wordplay and making clever lines, I dunno. I'll give it another listen through.

I loved this lol.

NotLiquid

This is really the vibe I've been getting from the songs I have heard, and you know what? I'm completely okay with it. Graduation is one of my favorite Ye albums exactly because of the production, and it was one of the redeeming qualities of Yeezus for me.

This is a very out there comparison, Kanye's music is kinda like Radiohead for me - I prefer it when I don't actually think too much into the lyrics yet can have them be effective enough to add additional textures to the already great sounds.

KazenY2J

kanye-biggestfan.jpg

This is my turn nobody else speak.

Tbh I feel bad when people don't feel Ye albums. Either not a fan of hiphop or listening on crummy speakers or both.
I feel like people who say shit like this don't even know what hip hop is. I'm 47 years old, been listening to hip hop since the beginning. Kanye isn't the end all be all of hip hop. Lots of different tastes out there, nothing is wrong with anyone lol.

Zekes!

I finally started listening. Ultra Light Beams is indeed a track. I wasn't super impressed with Chance's verse despite all the praise I was hearing. I fell off him pretty hard though, still need to listen to Surf tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom