• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
In that sense this album almost seems like it's less about Kanye's specific bars and smart lyrics, and more about the general music itself, in terms of production, good vibes, diverse beats and easy listening. I almost feel like the 'rap' part of it takes a bit of a back seat.

I feel the same way as I do with Travis Scott's Rodeo. It is simply music to vibe to.

nib95

Banned
He definitely takes a step back here. the album is more a collaborative effort than ever.

Any other rapper would feel they need to be present as the rapper. Kanye knows how to be a part of the craft and the music. Not just picking out other peoples beats and laying verses on them, then selling it as one's own. Kanye is fully integrated into the process from top to bottom. Nobody's verse is without Kanye's influence and design. You really can't separate from any part of this.

Oh definitely, I feel like this album is more a celebration of life/victory lap for him. It's not so much a bold direction as it is an amalgamation of everything he's done up to this point.

I agree with all of the above. As said earlier, after multiple listens I'm still greatly enjoying the album, but the lack of bars and more potent lyrical content is still a bit of a negative for me, especially after listening to some of his older albums recently, as well as popular work from artists such as Kendrick, J Cole etc. Perhaps if there was maybe just one or two more tracks that were lyrically strong, that I hadn't heard before, I'd not feel that way.

I think Ye is aware of the desire for it too, at least from fans and hip hop aficionados, as evidenced by all his previously released tracks, which happen to be the most lyrically content rich in the entire album. But then by the same token, his SNL performances have been lighter on the 'rap' and more about the musical and layered experience. Perhaps he feels the latter has more broad appeal?

FZZ

Banned
I feel your pain, can you not acquire it else where while you wait?

Yeah there is, but I know a lot of other people waiting for the codes who can't

Just kinda sucks because we were the ones willing to pay for it in the theater where the audio wasn't even that loud for the most part and now are being punished because of some Tidal exclusivity bs

I tweeted at jimmycodeine, fingers crossed

Swag

So does anybody have any good alternative covers? Saw some on reddit, they looked much butter than the original one

NUYl7f8.jpg

Using this one instead of the awful retail version

Zekes!

Up to Low Lights, been definitely feeling like some of these tracks are too short. But I kind of like it but at the same time I don't 'cause it's leaving me thirsty for more.

Low Lights can definitely get skipped.

Ran rp

ULB live at MSG is powerful as hell with the audience feed at the start and end. I might use it as closing track. The volume is so low though :/

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
Up to Low Lights, been definitely feeling like some of these tracks are too short. But I kind of like it but at the same time I don't 'cause it's leaving me thirsty for more.

Low Lights can definitely get skipped.
ULB being 5+ mins and the opener is just so perfect. Tracks 2 and 3 are just two parts, I guess. I wish feedback was longer but still great even being just over 2 minutes.

Anyone else feel like there's a lack of Ye on this album? Outside of tracks like 30 Hours, Real Friends, Facts and NMPILA (all previously released), he doesn't actually drop a whole lot of verses throughout. Not to the same degree as older albums anyway. And a lot of what he does is often elongated with singing, format or repetition, and not particularly heavy in lyrical content.

It's weird because I rewatched his two SNL performances (Wolves and ULB) and realised he basically doesn't do anything in either besides hum and mumble. In the final album version of Wolves, even though he takes up a lot more time in the track, he doesn't actually say a whole lot even then.

In that sense this album almost seems like it's less about Kanye's specific bars and smart lyrics, and more about the general music itself, in terms of production, good vibes, diverse beats and easy listening. I almost feel like the 'rap' part of it takes a bit of a back seat.

Dude..... You took the words right out of my mouth!

PSY・S;195248054 said:
ULB live at MSG is powerful as hell with the audience feed at the start and end. I might use it as closing track. The volume is so low though :/
A gafer cleaned it up and upped the volume pretty damn well. Check maybe 30 pages back? Friday posts. I'd post but am at the mall.

Kaizer

Banned
Okay, finally listened to the mashed together version of Wolves and I like it for the most part. A little sloppy on a few second transtions, but it's ultimately the version of the song I wanted & will be what I play when I listen to the song.

Still can't believe he took the Sia & Vic Mensa part, shit is soooo good, should've just let the song been like 6 minutes long rather than butchering it for his repetitious verse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom