• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
You dont like friends / nmila / fade / 30 hours? think all of those tracks are superb aswell. when the beat kicks in on fade at the end! shit man if that gets played at glastonbury at 2am this summer i will lose my shit!

Overall the album , due to the mentioned cohesive issues falls under the levels set by LR / MBTDF / YEEZUS but not by much.

I never said that, I love everything after Silver Surfer on their own, but they just don't fit with the rest of the record before it. Everything before it is this gospel electronic mix, and post Silver Surfer, it's classic Madlib, Ye soul-sampling, and a house track. I can see why they were put outside the album's core, and I love the tracks, but I'm recognizing them as bonus tracks added on.

Yeah, it's below MBDTF and Yeezus for me, but its still such a good record. Gospel-electronic really does fit Ye.

Mistle

man playing this album loud through speakers sounds so much better than headphones (at least good headphones that highlight bad mastering..).

Rembrandt

Banned
FML is some top tier shit.

Waves, FML, Real Friends, Wolves is one of the best successions ever. but man, FML is so fucking good. It's hard choosing the best song on the album right now, but FML is an easy contender. Wolves would have easily been it if it he didn't change it, but he might change that back, so aye.

Wiz must be be feeling dumb after hearing that silver surfer intermission.

trixx

there's some real good tracks on here that get me confused at times like the whole intro on Father stretch my hands pt 1 was great but then ???? Ending on Feedback???

Tracks I liked were Utralight beam esp chance's part, father stretch my hands pt 1 and 2, feedback, no more parties in L.A.

Sometimes, 4chan does some good.

1455496574712.png

bounchfx

so, this might be a dumb question but like
does kanye himself write the actual music. it's obvious he writes the lyrics aha, but I mean like, the actual piano lines, melodies, etc etc. Is it all him?

Rembrandt

Banned
RE: track ordering, I took Wolves to be the album finisher proper with everything after Silver Surfer being bonus tracks

Yeah, that's the way I think it is since all of the other songs were added on late and released before the tape dropped. besides Fade. Weird that's the last song.

The only weak spot on this album is Father Stretch My Hands. It just...doesn't work. The intro to Part 1 is amazing, that soul sample into Metro's tag into Cudi's hook into Kanye's hook is glorious, it's just Kanye's verse that sucks and Pt. 2 isn't great at all. It feels like an outtake because of the way that it just blatantly reuses Panda.

ah man, Father Stretch My Hands is so great. From the absolute best use of one of the best tags to the random addition of Panda's chorus. It's so good and Kanye's verse on the Pt II > Part I.

I've never heard the "good" version of Wolves people keep talking about it? Should I go listen to it or just stay ignorant to it?

Listen to it. Vic Mensa's part is beautiful. I would be shitty if I was him, tbh. If i find the rework I was bumping until release, I'll link it. It's from KTT and got flagged like right before the Season 3 premiere.

so, this might be a dumb question but like
does kanye himself write the actual music. it's obvious he writes the lyrics aha, but I mean like, the actual piano lines, melodies, etc etc. Is it all him?

You might be shocked if you think he writes all of his lyrics. Not to undermine his lyrical talent, but it's obvious by now he has some assistance on some verses. Chance is gloating about writing Waves. But I think he does a substantial amount of the production. He reworks a lot of the instruments others send him. He's a godly producer. Somebody linked what Sanctified sounded like before Kanye put his hands on it and he blessed it.

Mik317

when i heard rumours chris brown was on the album i feared the worst...

but fuk me how good is waves??? hot damn

Breezy may be a piece of shit manchild but he has talent and when reigned in can give a good performance. This makes his shithead behavior worse because he could have been something but nope

bounchfx

You might be shocked if you think he writes all of his lyrics. Not to undermine his lyrical talent, but it's obvious by now he has some assistance on some verses. Chance is gloating about writing Waves. But I think he does a substantial amount of the production. He reworks a lot of the instruments others send him. He's a godly producer. Somebody linked what Sanctified sounded like before Kanye put his hands on it and he blessed it.

haha, it was more of a joke actually, considering how ridiculous some of them are. I really have no idea how much he's contributing. it's just, with a lot of music I'm into, one person typically writes all the music and lyrics. So for stuff like this, while I enjoy it, it's kind of annoying to me not knowing whos responsible for what, even seeing [other artists] next to some song names. I just wanna give credit where it's due for some of these melodies and beats. they're really well done.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Chance thanks for getting waves back on.

Too smooth.

Hard to believe this was not gonna make the cut. It's going to be a huge hit.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
What if this is the album of the life because Kanye will continue to update it throughout his life

kttcoliohhh
kttcoliohhh
kttcoliohhh
kttcoliohhh
kttcoliohhh
kttcoliohhh
kttcoliohhh
kttcoliohhh
kttcoliohhh
kttcoliohhh

Haha... I'm in tho fuck it.

I've been away all day and I expected to come back to a relatively calm thread. That's never going to happen and I low key love it.

edit: also I'm glad MThanded is finally eatin with the rest of us. Welcome to the table fam.

Rembrandt

Banned
Breezy may be a piece of shit manchild but he has talent and when reigned in can give a good performance. This makes his shithead behavior worse because he could have been something but nope

He still had/has a pretty good career to think he released his first CD at 16 and went double platinum on his first and second tape. Dude's just wildly inconsistent and R&B music progressed way too much recently.

He needs better writers. Frank, Miguel write their own stuff and The Weeknd writes his own stuff while also being a good enough writer to put his own style into the songs others write for him (Can't Feel My Face).

Rembrandt

Banned
haha, it was more of a joke actually, considering how ridiculous some of them are. I really have no idea how much he's contributing. it's just, with a lot of music I'm into, one person typically writes all the music and lyrics. So for stuff like this, while I enjoy it, it's kind of annoying to me not knowing whos responsible for what, even seeing [other artists] next to some song names. I just wanna give credit where it's due for some of these melodies and beats. they're really well done.

It's hard telling with Kanye because he's really generous with credits. He gives credits to people even if they only suggest a line or a random idea, but it's not hard to imagine him having a huge input in literally all aspects.

here's an article about Yeezus that talks to some producers and artists that contributed to it:
http://pitchfork.com/features/articles/9157-the-yeezus-sessions/

MThanded

Haha... I'm in tho fuck it.

I've been away all day and I expected to come back to a relatively calm thread. That's never going to happen and I low key love it.

edit: also I'm glad MThanded is finally eatin with the rest of us. Welcome to the table fam.
It's delicious.

see5harp

The problem with Chris brown is that he was never in control of his own career on account of starting so young. Even if he he suddenly wanted to carve out his own sound it's tough to do that now. The weekend and Miguel got success on a small scale before they ever tried to make a radio hit.

Mik317

I really like Cudi's work in Pt.1. Are his recent albums any good ? Haven't heard him since MOTM 2.

I am a huge Cudi stan to the point of even liking Indicud and Parts of Satelite Flight....but SBTH is so bad that I cannot reccomend anything.

If you look into that abyss ...don't pay for anything (youtube everything nothing illegal...). Your soul is enough

Red_Man

The entire intro to FSMY PT 1 is fucking perfect

From that sample, that Future bit to Cudi cutting in.

It's perfection.

Are you trying to hurt my feelings or what?

:(

Last album was straight trash.

He even got booted off Comedy Bang Bang

Nope! Stay away.

I am a huge Cudi stan to the point of even liking Indicud and Parts of Satelite Flight....but SBTH is so bad that I cannot reccomend anything.

If you look into that abyss ...don't pay for anything (youtube everything nothing illegal...). Your soul is enough

damn, that bad huh. Guess I will just stick to his old albums.
The drop in quality between Pt.1 and Pt.2 is so noticeable tho. At least he could have made the first one longer. Ye fucked up a perfectly awesome song. Pt.2 has that good bit in the end.

Rembrandt

Banned
As great as this CD is, it still hurts my heart that people don't like Yeezus. It has Kanye in perfect form on a few songs. Especially those people that thought Bound 2 was the best song on the album because it's reminiscent of old Kanye like he didn't destroy New Slaves aka the song with the Best Verse Ever.

Mistle

As great as this CD is, it still hurts my heart that people don't like Yeezus. It has Kanye in perfect form on a few songs. Especially those people that thought Bound 2 was the best song on the album because it's reminiscent of old Kanye like he didn't destroy New Slaves aka the song with the Best Verse Ever.
we need a yeezus support group.

Ozium

Can I take Facts and assume that Kanye doesn't actually think "bill cosby innocent"

Yeah I have no idea what's up with this. My friend hates it, says it sounds like "finger nails on the blackboard"

man I love the beat and the production on Feedback, some of the lyrics are also fucking hilarious in that Kanye way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom