• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
the day after, album as an album is pretty awesome yet. love the ride it takes you through gospel, arrogance, crazy, introspection, and sadness.

cruised to it for an hour in the car, too, and it's a surprisingly poor radio album. i was expecting to love the new Facts but I didn't really like driving to it. i read a couple reviews calling it too radio, too pop, etc and i can't relate to that... nothing really makes a good radio singles. even on feedback, facts, fade I found myself having to skip parts. only two great songs i was feeling in the car were 30hrs and fml and even those loses steam in the end, and found myself constantly resetting to the start of the track.

where it really shines is a complete album at home with headphones on, as a thematic sort of journey. reminds me a lot of dark twisted fantasy in that regard.

CbOH7kNUsAAqu2q.png

Rap game Bernie Sanders lol

That and Waves are gonna be getting lots of play from me.

This also seems like one of Kanye's more radio friendly CDs of late, too. Might take a decent amount of editing and that might hurt some of the songs (like most censors, though), but I could see this getting some spins.
i wasn't feeling the constant shifts at all in the car today (love love love the album, as a 'complete album', so far though)

but there were constant moments where I was like, daaaamn, these are going to make some sick radio remixes.

Zekes!

lol, judging Chance off the second worst CD he's featured on. That Lil B tape is the first but nobody cares about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vqNzbdgvq4

How can you listen to this and not think he's talented as fuck?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8nIHZ-0kS4

How can you listen to this and think he's boring?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4ooH8frBWg

How can you watch this and think he's lame?

stop this.

When Acid Rap first dropped I was super into it for a few weeks until I suddenly couldn't get in to it anymore. I've warmed up to albums I initially disliked, but I don't think I've ever done the opposite like I did with Acid Rap.

megalowho

The fast paced, fleeting and scattered nature of the beats and samples is part of what makes it such a compelling album. I don't want any of that to change between this version and the wide release, it's on point the way it is.

Bacon

When Acid Rap first dropped I was super into it for a few weeks until I suddenly couldn't get in to it anymore. I've warmed up to albums I initially disliked, but I don't think I've ever done the opposite like I did with Acid Rap.

Yeah that's kind of what happened to me actually. Can't really explain it

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I feel the same way about Chance (without the weird Bernie Sanders thing). Dude was not on my radar at all. I'd never heard anything from him and now I'm hungry for more.

I guess I need to check out Acid Rap.

ACE 1991

Real Friends has a god tier instrumental.

Overall the album has a lot of really strong tracks but lacks the cohesion of some of Yeezus or MBDTF.

213372bu

Banned
At least those are puns.

If you bleached your asshole and I got bleach on my t-shirt I'd feel like an asshole.

NOOOOOOOOOOO

See you spent like a second of your life typing out "NOOOOOOOO" when you could be spending that second accepting the absurdity of it.

Famous, Feedback, Real Friends, Wolves (with Frank Ocean), 30 Hours, No More Parties in LA, and maybe Facts are the best tracks. Highlights to FML is the weakest part of the album for sure, but the first 3 tracks were also pretty weak.

Everything else is trying to be too trendy with the trap beats and tuned choruses. Chris Brown is the biggest offender in this regard, The Weeknd, Young Thug and Rihanna didn't really add much. Chance the Rapper and Kid Cudi were awful as per usual, no clue why anybody think they're any good. Chance was as boring and lame as he was on that Donnie Trumpet album.

Kanye did have plenty of great verses, but also some really awful ones. If it had more tracks produced like Feedback, Real Friends etc, it would be AOTY contender for me.
Need a Kanye album full of verses and beats like his one on NMPILA.

Hmmm. Nah!

ant1532

Banned
Hold on, Kanye has a ghostwriter? I have to mention that i don't know a whole lot about him. Just his music.

Oh and i bet this is old news, but lol...that Future clone, is actually signed to GOOD Music.
he credits them always.and its not like people write entire verses, he invites people to vibe in the studio and if they come up with a single line he likes he uses it, etc

Ferny

I love this album. Like some have said, there isn't much cohesion between tracks, but man some of the songs are just so good.

FML, Real Friends, Waves, Fade, even Famous. Love them all.

Kanye is too busy these days to make dope lyrics. He merely directs his production army to do nice things, and the lyrics well, he's simply too busy. But hey at least he's making good music so I'm not that mad.

Arctick

lol, judging Chance off the second worst CD he's featured on. That Lil B tape is the first but nobody cares about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vqNzbdgvq4

How can you listen to this and not think he's talented as fuck?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8nIHZ-0kS4

How can you listen to this and think he's boring?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4ooH8frBWg

How can you watch this and think he's lame?

stop this. chance is literally one of the talented and interesting rappers out right now. first musician to perform on SNL with no deal. Getting CDs and songs premiered on iTunes for free. Refusing to charge for music or sign a deal. He has so much potential to change the distribution of music currently.

Dude, I just said he sounded as weak as he did on that album where he sounded weak, and you just agreed with me. No doubt he sounded better on Acid Rap, but he's sorta phoning it in lately. Just because he releases and promotes himself in a different way than other popular artists doesn't make him better by default. Never thought his wordplay was anything special. There are defs better rappers out there, but Chance has tonnes of pop appeal, and with good reason cause his messages are really positive. I think Deacon the Villian's 'Peace or Power' is a great example of an album that has both better verses and instrumentation, on similar subject matter. Chance's vocal inflections don't back up the messages and production and it just falls flat most of the time for me.

FOR ME, its just my opinion. Don't tell me to not give my honest opinion. I'm not on a soapbox trying to tell everyone to not listen to Chance. It's cool that you like and support him man, but lay off when anybody spouts an opinion different to yours, jeez

Izuna

Banned
I just got asked to re-record my spoof song. Some randos want to teach me how to make it better. Can someone make that GAF Album thread? lol

This whole thing is making me enjoy music a lot more knowing what goes into the production. Gosh TLoP is already having a real effect on me.

Barzul

Thank you Chance Thank you Chance Thank you Chance Thank you Chance Thank you Chance Thank you Chance Thank you Chance Thank you Chance Thank you Chance Thank you Chance

WAVESSSSSSS

Future clone on Freestyle 4 is so shameless lol

I found it wasn't Fewtch the first time then I thought, "Well at least he got him for that other track." Come to find out it's the same dude again

Barzul

Waves is bringing out so much emotion from me. I can't believe he almost dropped this! The instrumental is euphoria inducing.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
idk what it is about Kanye humming into a vocoder that's so sonically pleasing to me

did on the second half of Runaway and now Waves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom