• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

deefol

the rest of the album is solid tho, kanye mixed the edginess of yeezus with the smoothness of the college drop out, but funnily enough i prefer the songs that are supposed to be edgy

Mortemis

Banned
Gave this a couple more listens, fuck I love it so much. It is all over the place but it somehow feels right, I can't explain it but it does. I feel like this doesn't have as high of highs as some of his other albums but the lows of the lows aren't all that bad. Famous and highlights really grew on me, I love the second part of Famous now. Waves and FML is so damn good, even more back to back.

Fade is still fire. I ain't coming down from this high in a while brehs.

The bleached asshole line stands out like a wet fart on a rocketship through space. Starting to grow on me though, just for how hilariously Kanye it is.

Sadly there are more of those rather lame lines an we all know Kanye can do better. I wonder why he's dope af on NMPILA, Real Friends etc...but on several others he has these lame lines.

Sorry but future is trash. Kanye don't want that mummbling fool on this project.

Trash indeed, but sadly was rapper of the year for multiple hiphop sites and magazines last year. Unbelieveable.

trixx

=/ right now I'm listening to an average artist getting outdone by feats on a bunch of over-produced beats. Some are good though

Mortemis

Banned
Ye's fixing wolves? It's ye so I got no idea wtf that means but if he puts Sia and Vic back on then fuck yes.

So this album ain't even done, and retail won't be out for another week? Brehs, we gonna be on OT2 before the actual album DROPS.

Jay-Hova

Banned
Sadly there are more of those rather lame lines an we all know Kanye can do better. I wonder why he's dope af on NMPILA, Real Friends etc...but on several others he has these lame lines.

Trash indeed, but sadly was rapper of the year for multiple hiphop sites and magazines last year. Unbelieveable.
No, I really like the bleached asshole line and I love the Go-pro one later on in the album.
Line's like this are part of why I love Kanye.
So no not everyone.

deefol

He's trash but everyone is trying to copy his flows, he's a very hardworking guy, has catalogues of unreleased content, major influence over hip hop right now

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Goddamn
🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

f0rk

=/ right now I'm listening to an average artist getting outdone by feats on a bunch of over-produced beats. Some are good though

I don't see how the beats are over produced.

And it's not a coincidence featured artists constantly do their best work on Kanye albums

Came back home to this news.

jWGod2I.png

tumblr_lqircinN2B1r0ojhto1_500.gif

213372bu

Banned
Is there a massive amount of clipping in this album or what.

Mike dean working his crushed black magic... /s

but it's edgy tho

not cuz Mike Dean was sitting on his ass eating pizza, trolling KTT, and not being ready after SNL
/s

--

Freestyle 4 is such a shame, everytime I hear it I think it could've been a lot better if all of that wasn't used for that freestyle.

Goddamn
🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

waves dont die

He's trash but everyone is trying to copy his flows, he's a very hardworking guy, has catalogues of unreleased content, major influence over hip hop right now

He could be the most hardworking guy ever, but if his music is trash, it really won't matter one bit in my book. Sadly he has a lot of influence over hip hop now yeah, not happy about that at all.

This album would have been SO much better without the overkill of autotune. Some beats go damn hard...but for me are ruined because of yet another autotune verse.

tizaffy

Neo Member
He could be the most hardworking guy ever, but if his music is trash, it really won't matter one bit in my book. Sadly he has a lot of influence over hip hop now yeah, not happy about that at all.

This album would have been SO much better without the overkill of autotune. Some beats go damn hard...but for me are ruined because of yet another autotune verse.

yeah but with auto tune he can actually convery a bit of emotion , albeit autotuned, as he cant sign (by his own admission).

Ive never had an issue with autotune when used at the right times.

Kelly Price and Chance KILLED on that SNL performance of ULB. I hope this leads to a Kelly comeback...I think I might try to get into some Chance music too.

I still haven't listened to this. The fuck is tidal? Is this just not gonna come out on iTunes?
Next week? Maybe Friday??? Camel out here paying for exclusives and messing up everything.

Ashhong

There isn't even that much auto tune here. It's not like it's 808s 2 or something.

Agree with the point of cohesivness but it can be forgiven due to the quality out there. Im pretty certain wolves onwards are "bonus" tracks.

Yeah, I just hope they get officially demarcated as such. Silver Surfer Intermission is placed at too clean a break between Wolves and 30 Hours for them not to be extra tracks thrown on at the end. But man, everything from ULB to Wolves just feels so good and it doesn't feel like it overstays its welcome until everything past Silver Surfer.

The only weak spot on this album is Father Stretch My Hands. It just...doesn't work. The intro to Part 1 is amazing, that soul sample into Metro's tag into Cudi's hook into Kanye's hook is glorious, it's just Kanye's verse that sucks and Pt. 2 isn't great at all. It feels like an outtake because of the way that it just blatantly reuses Panda.

Other than that, everything else is so good. Production is magnificent, I don't care too much about verses because I'm a "voice as an instrument" type guy, and the features are on point. It's a great album, and Ye's most unique to date.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't see your comment before.

I disagree with this. I think the added tracks give it volume and diversity. Whilst it probably isn't quite as coherent (but that could be more to do with track order and how they blend together, as oppose to the number of tracks), it is a more enjoyable musical experience as a result. Had it stayed the original 10 track cut, I'd have felt short changed. Hell, even the 18 track version now is over too soon.

Well, I'll agree on the diversity and volume part, but I think that it doesn't add to the experience. Hell, by the time Ye's verse in NMPILA comes on, I feel restless and want the album to come to an end. As much as I love a sizeable quantity of Kanye tracks, I'd much rather prefer a consistent amount of quality and cohesiveness among it. I think the 13 track version we have is the perfect length, though I want it to be 11 because FSMH ain't as good, and it maintains a consistent amount of highs and interesting interludes to keep it fresh.

Yeezus was 10 tracks long, and I loved it for how great it was with its anger, razor-sharp beats, and general atmospheric consistency were maintained in a manner that felt satisfying. I don't mind short albums as long as they're consistently good, same with long ones. Just keep it consistently great and we're Gucci, but the 5 tracks tacked on at the end don't mesh with the 13 that come before it and it dampens the experience a bit for me.

thats not future on the album? dafuq?

I wish 30 hours had someone else rapping on it. That Arthur Russell sample and crazy drum sounds gone to waste more or less.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
thats not future on the album? dafuq?

I wish 30 hours had someone else rapping on it. That Arthur Russell sample and crazy drum sounds gone to waste more or less.
Generic brand future

Thats what my last sentence was referring to. Maybe over time I will see it how you see it. Yeezus was garish for me on my first listen. I came around though.
Idk I can see how I have an unpopular opinion. Yeezus just seems more focused to me.

Izuna

Banned
Okay so

TLoP = Yeezus for me now

Been listening to this all day. Ultralight Beam and Highlight were the ones that had to grow on me to be insane.

Bowser

NYT Review

Rather, Mr. West — who calls himself a “38-year-old 8-year-old” on this album — has perfected the art of aesthetic and intellectual bricolage, shape-shifting in real time and counting on listeners to keep up. More than on any of his previous albums, “Pablo” reflects that rambling, fearsome energy. This is Tumblr-as-album, the piecing together of divergent fragments to make a cohesive whole.

Yup

Ashhong

808s was solely autotune and that was autotune done right. What we have here is not 808s autotune.

That's what I said..

What we have here is ye using auto tune to convey the emotions that he can't do normally. It was the whole concept of 808s. This album is literally a mix of all of his albums

213372bu

Banned
I've been listening a lot to it today, and while the hype is a bit lowered, I can definitely say I really like it.

It's lyrically weak in some areas.

It's rough and "intentionally edgy like @kanyewest".

There's some parts where Ye's vocals aren't strong.

... But all in all there are some really, really great tracks.

Some great instrumentation, some of the best uses of samples, nice beats, stand-out tracks that are some of his best, and certain tracks with some really nice lyrics. Ye also hasn't lost his sense of humor in this one either, which is nice to hear.

I'll save the rankings by the time the album actually releases.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Amazing
- Fade
- Real Friends ( Although hate the stupid Echo he put on his verses )
- No More Parties in La
- FML

Good
- High Lights
- Wolves
- Ultralight Beam
- Father Stretch my hands pt1
- Famous
- 30 Hours

Okay
- Waves
- I Love Kanye
- Father stretch my hands pt 2 ( i fucking love that voice change at the end, also could kanye not afford future? )
- Low Lights

Nah fam
- Feedback ( Love the verse but that beat i cant fuck with )
- Free style 4
- Silver Surfer Intermission
- Facts ( Even despite the better beat, give zero shits about nike vs adidas(kanye)

Probably change after more listens. Only on 3rd listen

So far overall album rankings
- Late registration
- MBDTF
- College dropout
- TLOP
- 808's and heart break
- Graduation
- Yeezus ( and hell i liked some of yeezus )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom