• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izuna

Banned
Feedback is my favourite track.

7423a020b8e90a4293ce591fea20f7de.gif

It's my favourite song of all time right now.

EDIT: Oh my god I've done nothing but listen to this for the past few hours. This album is making me not want to sleep.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Incredible album. After giving it over 20 plays, as of right now I put it right beside MBDTF. It's hard to compare them because they're so different in so many ways, but the pure joy and entertainment I'm getting from TLOP is unlike anything I've ever listened to. Start to finish, it's pure unadulterated sound and entertainment. Kanye hit's so many different notes in so many different tones, it's amazing.

Rembrandt

Banned
Dude, I just said he sounded as weak as he did on that album where he sounded weak, and you just agreed with me. No doubt he sounded better on Acid Rap, but he's sorta phoning it in lately. Just because he releases and promotes himself in a different way than other popular artists doesn't make him better by default. Never thought his wordplay was anything special. There are defs better rappers out there, but Chance has tonnes of pop appeal, and with good reason cause his messages are really positive. I think Deacon the Villian's 'Peace or Power' is a great example of an album that has both better verses and instrumentation, on similar subject matter. Chance's vocal inflections don't back up the messages and production and it just falls flat most of the time for me.

FOR ME, its just my opinion. Don't tell me to not give my honest opinion. I'm not on a soapbox trying to tell everyone to not listen to Chance. It's cool that you like and support him man, but lay off when anybody spouts an opinion different to yours, jeez

Nah, I didn't agree with you about him sounding as weak on ULB as he did on Surf. Just that Surf was an overall weak project, though no faults of his own. I also disagree with you about him phoning it in. He's dropped some great verses between this and Acid Rap. Israel (Sparring) is pretty great. It's really not just his marketing, though, I do think that's great. He has a really good idea of how to use his voice as an instrument and flows perfectly over beats. He can also rap really, really well and has enough personality + self-awareness to inject into his music. His lyrics + delivery makes him standout a lot to me.

Chill, it's really not deep. It wasn't an attack and me telling you to stop wasn't being literal. This is a conversation, though, we disagreed, I got a new tape to listen to from it. Don't let this little stuff get to you or GAF will be very frustrating for you.

We need WTT2

Cudi / Ye.

Then that CRS album now that we have
Good Ass Job
The Life Of Pablo

Would rather have that supposed Wolves tape with Ye and Drake. Nothing but greatness would come from that.

When Acid Rap first dropped I was super into it for a few weeks until I suddenly couldn't get in to it anymore. I've warmed up to albums I initially disliked, but I don't think I've ever done the opposite like I did with Acid Rap.

I was the opposite. I liked 10Day a lot more but Acid Rap grew on me. I don't listen to it front to back anymore, but there are more than a few songs that get tons of love. Some of the songs are really trash, though. Smoke Again, that song with Action Bronson and even that song with Gambino is kinda trash.

I really need a Noname Gypsy tape, though. She killed Lost. She would have made a good addition to TLOP. With the way her voice is and the way she raps, I could honestly see her over Wolves. She has enough lyrical ability to hold her own, too.

I feel the same way about Chance (without the weird Bernie Sanders thing). Dude was not on my radar at all. I'd never heard anything from him and now I'm hungry for more.

I guess I need to check out Acid Rap.

Definitely recommend it. Check out 10Day, too. Chance came in the game with a great debut. Fair warning since this is the first time you've heard him, he's substantially more annoying on his own projects, though. Be prepared for his adlibs.

I am really not a fan of Fade. Would not have been upset if this song wasn't on the CD. Post Malone has talent, though. Hyped for his CD. It doesn't even feel like Kanye's song.

I will say that Waves feels like a more accurate title. Every 2 minutes of this album is different. Barely any songs sound the same at the start as they do by the 2 minute mark.

My wifi finally came back. Fucking Time Warner about time.

You know I have to celebrate by blasting Ultralight Beam as loud as I can without pissing off my neighbors.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
My wifi finally came back. Fucking Time Warner about time.

You know I have to celebrate by blasting Ultralight Beam as loud as I can without pissing off my neighbors.
Tidal has an offline feature for phones

I will say that Waves feels like a more accurate title. Every 2 minutes of this album is different. Barely any songs sound the same at the start as they do by the 2 minute mark.
I said this the other day. ULTRA LIGHT BEAMS would have also been acceptable.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
That's how I feel about almost every track except NMPILA.

NMPILA could just disappear tbh.
Yeah a lot of songs could be long but that shit seems very much intentional and I really wonder why. It's like he wants us to experience his anxiety ridden mind first hand.

injurai

Banned

Given that it's the name of a song, you can't use that title to describe the rest of the work. The Life of Pablo actually works for better. You can really feel Kanye's post-yeezus years formulated into this album. Then with the dual reference of Pablo talks to controversy and art. The more you look into it, the more the title we go makes sense.

painey

feel like this is a parody thread. this album is straight up garbage. I would honestly think this was a 'gag' album and Kanye was just fucking with us for his art if I hadn't already suffered through 808 and Yeezus. I cannot believe people enjoy this wank, and even worse I can't believe this is an album from the same man who put out My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and Graduation. This is as disappointing as new Cudi.

Get'sMad

feel like this is a parody thread. this album is straight up garbage. I would honestly think this was a 'gag' album and Kanye was just fucking with us for his art if I hadn't already suffered through 808 and Yeezus. I cannot believe people enjoy this wank, and even worse I can't believe this is an album from the same man who put out My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and Graduation. This is as disappointing as new Cudi.

this post

is not my kind of post

MercuryLS

Banned

Graduation? Bad taste confirmed.

Shneebs

Neo Member
I'm finding it hard to articulate why I think this is some of his best work. It's almost like a random array of just amazing SOUNDS, put together by a crazy person in a way that against all odds feels cohesive. It's brilliant.

Gorillaz

Cohesive is the last thing I would call this album

It's basically a tour de france on styles through the years that he experimented or enjoyed put onto one album. It's a "collection" basically.

People hate Graduation ?? That's what got me into Kanye in the first place. Some of the songs like Homecoming are too much for me(in a good way). What's wrong with y'all.

Bacon

People hate Graduation ?? That's what got me into Kanye in the first place. Some of the songs like Homecoming are too much for me(in a good way). What's wrong with y'all.

It has a lot of good songs but it also has a bunch of the worst songs he's ever produced. I'm glad there is nothing Drunk and Hot Girls/Barry Bonds tier on this album

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I feel sad for you :(

Drunk and hot girls is one of the funniest tracks though. I love the rah rah rah part, shit cracks me up all the time.

I also dont mind Barry Bonds. Funny enough Drake got me to appreciate that beat when he rapped over it on one of his early tapes.

Rembrandt

Banned

Graduation is great because of a few select songs. As a body of work, though, it's far from his best.

to be honest, pt.2 of father stretch my hands is my favourite track so far, but i'm only on feedback

i was thirteen when 808s dropped and i still remember the shit flinging over that and the autotune use

I really need to relisten to 808s. It didn't grow on me at all and haven't been a fan of the tape since.

Drunk and hot girls is one of the funniest tracks though. I love the rah rah rah part, shit cracks me up all the time.

I also dont mind Barry Bonds. Funny enough Drake got me to appreciate that beat when he rapped over it on one of his early tapes.

I still say "stop talking about your boyfriend since he is not me" once a month. drunk and hot girls is a lowkey favorite of mine.

This tape is audio cubism. for real.

Kusagari

I've long considered Graduation his worst album, but this might give it a run for its money honestly.

There's nothing near the lows of Graduation, which continues to have the only Ye songs I would legitimately call bad, but it doesn't have the highs either.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Graduation is great because of a few select songs. As a body of work, though, it's far from his best.

I really need to relisten to 808s. It didn't grow on me at all and haven't been a fan of the tape since.

This tape is audio cubism. for real.
808s is amazing to go back to every few years. Great song writing on it. Emotion evoking simplistic but melodic production. And the vocoder really helps a lot to dampen kanyes singing lol. Streetlights is still I the upper echelon of Kanye songs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom