• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arctick

Nah, I didn't agree with you about him sounding as weak on ULB as he did on Surf. Just that Surf was an overall weak project, though no faults of his own. I also disagree with you about him phoning it in. He's dropped some great verses between this and Acid Rap. Israel (Sparring) is pretty great. It's really not just his marketing, though, I do think that's great. He has a really good idea of how to use his voice as an instrument and flows perfectly over beats. He can also rap really, really well and has enough personality + self-awareness to inject into his music. His lyrics + delivery makes him standout a lot to me.

Chill, it's really not deep. It wasn't an attack and me telling you to stop wasn't being literal. This is a conversation, though, we disagreed, I got a new tape to listen to from it. Don't let this little stuff get to you or GAF will be very frustrating for you.

Lol, don't give me that Senior-Junior talk, I know how Gaf is and can be. I literally gave my opinion, and you drop a whole bunch of MV links that I've already heard and seen, and then tell me I'm wrong and to stop. I know you weren't trying to personally attack me, but you tried to spark the discussion in a really poor and reactionary way.

Not to devolve it further but some rappers I think have waay more personality are Joey Badass, Danny Brown, Freddie Gibbs, the Underachievers, TUT, Ratking, Billy Woods, Mick Jenkins, Injury Reserve & Flatbush Zombies. Just to put Chance in perspective, he's too middle of the road for me.

Izuna

Banned
You watching the No Love music video?

I made it 70% through Guillotine and then watched No Love.

tumblr_mxwf1wYqny1ruucm5o1_500.gif

EDIT:
Sasha Vdr 3 months ago
"Maybe it'll sound better after I smoke some weed."
Worst idea ever.
I'm scared now.

LOL

--

Back to TLoP~

robotrock

Banned
Honestly I still can't get over 30 Hours. Didn't listen to it when the G.O.O.D. Fridays version dropped, but it's so good on the album. like holy shit.

i want that beat to loop forever

Zekes!

Honestly I still can't get over 30 Hours. Didn't listen to it when the G.O.O.D. Fridays version dropped, but it's so good on the album. like holy shit.

i want that beat to loop forever

All i can think of is driving forever ala Outrun listening to the beat of 30 Hours forever

x8CWoPq.gif

Bacon

I don't understand how he saved Facts from being shit-tier on this album, it's actually not bad now. How?

No idea. I actually can't wait for it to come on on my full album listens. Might have been my least favorite ye track previously. That shit just bangs now, crazy how a beat switch can change so much.

Someone save me from the hell that is Freestyle 4. I can't stop listening. It's so hauntingly addicting, and when that beat drops....gotdamn. Nasty yo.

Rembrandt

Banned
Lol, don't give me that Senior-Junior talk, I know how Gaf is and can be. I literally gave my opinion, and you drop a whole bunch of MV links that I've already heard and seen, and then tell me I'm wrong and to stop. I know you weren't trying to personally attack me, but you tried to spark the discussion in a really poor and reactionary way.

Not to devolve it further but some rappers I think have waay more personality are Joey Badass, Danny Brown, Freddie Gibbs, the Underachievers, TUT, Ratking, Billy Woods, Mick Jenkins, Injury Reserve & Flatbush Zombies. Just to put Chance in perspective, he's too middle of the road for me.

Are you more upset over me dropping links or telling you that you're wrong and to stop?

Not a fan of Joey, Flatbush, or the Underachievers. but Jenkins, Gibbs, and Brown are dope. Any tapes from the others you recommend?

Chance is better than all of those people besides Jenkins, though. How can you call him boring but think Badass is better?

he had his chance, and he scared me

--

It took me a LONG time but now I see why people like FML.

That's why you listen to either The Money Store or Jenny Death. Those are their two most accessible albums, with JD being more traditional punk and TMS being electro-anarchy. Seriously, Get Got is absolute flames.

TheFixer

Neo Member
They're very different. That said, TPAB is miles above, especially if you like your music to have a message and make a statement; TLOP doesn't really say anything.
I think Kanye's introspective yarns about excess, family, depression, insatiable ambition, Oedipal Complex, and immortality are infinitely more original, profound, human, and interesting than K. Dot's corny, derivative spiels on TPAB. And even with Kanye's notorious narcissism and penchant for dramatics, Pablo manages to be less self-indulgent and bloated than TPAB.

Rembrandt

Banned
loving facts.

I didn't think it would make the album but the new version bangs.

Wish we got a new version of All Day.

I wonder what this album sounded like a year ago

More Paul McCartney. I think it's hilarious he managed to do a song with a member from the fucking Beatles and took the songs off the album. His cuts didn't even make Rihanna's album. lmao.

I think Kanye's introspective yarns about excess, family, depression, insatiable ambition, Oedipal Complex, and immortality are infinitely more original, profound, human, and interesting than K. Dot's corny, derivative spiels on TPAB. And even with Kanye's notorious narcissism and penchant for dramatics, Pablo manages to be less self-indulgent and bloated than TPAB.

you can make a good argument for it being more interesting and original, but Kanye couldn't match the emotion Kendrick expressed in U and Alright will be remembered far after people stop hyping this CD up. The TPAB hate hurts me and I haven't even listened to the CD in a minute.

Bacon

TPAB is self indulgent. I've heard it all now

robotrock

Banned
More Paul McCartney. I think it's hilarious he managed to do a song with a member from the fucking Beatles and took the songs off the album. His cuts didn't even make Rihanna's album. lmao.

Oh god I completely forgot about this whole Paul McCartney thing. He was supposed to be working with Kanye on a good amount of the album, right?

I think he's still working with Kanye on the Only One game.

They're very different. That said, TPAB is miles above, especially if you like your music to have a message and make a statement; TLOP doesn't really say anything.

TLOP definitely says some things. It's just not trying to preach (for lack of a better term) the same way TPAB does.

Bowlie

Banned

ouch, you going for them hyperboles, huh!

Blastoise

Banned
I've sampled the beat from fade and just have it looping in the background. Makes me want to fuck. lol.

Too bad V-Day was yesterday for me.

sdornan

How much of that is intentional and how much of that is you finding meaning where there is none?

I'll admit that TLOP has a lot of good stuff going on but I find very little of it to be in the lyrics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom