• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rembrandt

Banned
Oh god I completely forgot about this whole Paul McCartney thing. He was supposed to be working with Kanye on a good amount of the album, right?

I think he's still working with Kanye on the Only One game.

Yeah, he was so hyped, too, saying Kanye reminded him of John Lennon.

Possibly, I heard a new version of Only One in the trailer.

Izuna

Banned
I tried to rank Ye's albums, but honestly nothing deserved to be on the bottom of any list.

TLoP has grown on me. The thing is that it's "addictive". I honestly would rate it above 808's and Heartbreak only if the song lengths were different (I hate that I have to repeat the same song SO MUCH because it creates a power itch it doesn't fully scratch).

As for it being better than Yeezus... It just might be. The best of TLoP is better than the best of Yeezus. Production of Yeezus is far better (and better to listen to as an album), but if I were to pick which had the best songs, it has to be TLoP.

Highlights (lol:
- Feedback (the best holy shit)
- Freestyle 4
- Highlights
- Fade (!!!!!!!! OMG)

Who the fuck is death grips
This album is dope btw, glad ye is back in his bag and serving the people with thus music

A bad recommendation

--

EDIT: Get Got is even worse. I don't like saying music is shit because art is art, but fuck me'''

Furyous

feel like this is a parody thread. this album is straight up garbage. I would honestly think this was a 'gag' album and Kanye was just fucking with us for his art if I hadn't already suffered through 808 and Yeezus. I cannot believe people enjoy this wank, and even worse I can't believe this is an album from the same man who put out My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and Graduation. This is as disappointing as new Cudi.

Woah, woah, woah, HOLD IT. TLOP has listenable songs with actual rapping over hip-hop production. NO COMMENT ON CUDI'S ALBUM. You are entitled to your opinion and everyone respects it.

--

This is the most commercial gospel album we're ever going to see. It's the rich man's version of College Dropout with LR-era bars with MBDTF level of arranging artists on different tracks at the right moment.

We need to thank Chance for convincing Yeezus to give us the Max B tribute on Waves. The only thing I dislike about this album is that fake ass Future clone Desiigner and Young Thug getting credit for chanting four times.

Friday night tryna make it into the city
Breakneck speeds, passenger seat suttin' pretty
Thinking back to how I got here in the first place
Second class bitches wouldn't let me on first base
A backpack nigga with luxury taste buds
And the Louis Vuitton store, got all of my pay stubs
Got pussy from beats I did for niggas more famous
When did I become A list? I wasn't even on a list
Strippers get invited to where they only get hired
When I get on my Steve Jobs, somebody gon' get fired
I was uninspired since Lauryn Hill retired
And 3 Stacks, man, you preach it to the choir
Any rumor you ever heard about me was true and legendary
I done got Lewinsky'd and paid secretaries
For all my niggas with babies by bitches
That use they kids as meal tickets
Not knowing that disconnect from the father
The next generation will be the real victims
I can't fault 'em really
I remember Amber told my boy no matter what happens she ain't going back to Philly
Back to our regularly scheduled programmin'
Of weak content and slow jammin'
But don't worry, this one's so jammin'
You know it, L.A., it's so jammin'
I be thinkin' every day Mulholland Drive, need to put up some god damn barricades
I be paranoid every time
The pressure, the problem ain't I be drivin', the problem is I be textin'
My psychiatrist got kids that I inspired
First song they played for me was 'bout their friend that just died
Textin' and drivin' down Mulholland Drive, that's why I'd rather take the 405
I be worried 'bout my daughter, I be worried 'bout Kim
But Saint is baby 'Ye, I ain't worried 'bout him
I had my life threatened by best friends with selfish intents
What I'm supposed to do, ride around with a bulletproof car and some tints?
Every agent I know, know I hate agents
I'm too black, I'm too vocal, I'm too flagrant
Something smellin' like shit, that's the new fragrance
It's just me, I do it my way, bitch
Some days I'm in my Yeezys, some days I'm in my Vans
If I knew y'all made plans I wouldn't have popped the Xans
I know some fans who thought I wouldn't rap like this again
But the writer's block is over, MCs cancel your plans
A 38-year-old 8-year-old with rich nigga problems
Tell my wife that I hate the Rolls so I don't never drive it
It took six months to get the Maybach all matted out
And my assistant crashed it soon as they backed it out
Goddamn, got a bald fade, I might slam
Pink fur, got Nori dressing like Cam, thank God for me
Whole family gettin' money, thank God for E!
I love rockin' jewelry, a whole neck full
Bitches say he funny and disrespectful
I feel like Pablo when I'm workin' on my shoes
I feel like Pablo when I see me on the news
I feel like Pablo when I'm workin' on my house
Tell 'em party's in here, we don't need to go out
We need the turbo thots, high speed, turbo thots
Drop-dro-dro-dro-drop it like Robocop
She brace herself and hold my stomach, good dick'll do that
She keep pushin' me back, good dick'll do that
She push me back when the dick go too deep
This good dick'll put your ass to sleep
Get money, money, money, money
Big, big money, money, money, money
And as far as real friends, tell all my cousins I love 'em
Even the one that stole the laptop, you dirty motherfucker" —Kanye West

*tears up at this Kanye coming back*

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Thats just the waves

That feeling when you catch the ��
PXMh90u.gif

I'll admit that TLOP has a lot of good stuff going on but I find very little of it to be in the lyrics.

Nobody said messages have to be good to be messages. I don't think anyone is going to listen to TLOP and take anything meaningful from the album as a whole (though individually from Ultra Light Beams or FML on the other hand... ) but a good deal of the songs do offer insight into Kanye's mindeset and his internal conflicts at this point in his career.

So it says something. It's not like it's a Tyler the Creator record or something.

sdornan

Nobody said messages have to be good to be messages. I don't think anyone is going to listen to TLOP and take anything meaningful from the album as a whole (though individually from Ultra Light Beams or FML on the other hand... ) but a good deal of the songs do offer insight into Kanye's mindeset and his internal conflicts at this point in his career.

So it says something. It's not like it's a Tyler the Creator record or something.
Yeah, I can agree with this.

TheFixer

Neo Member
How much of that is intentional and how much of that is you finding meaning where there is none?
It's all very much intentional in the sense that Kanye lays his soul bare to us for an hour consecutively. He's grappled with all of the issues I enumerated and more over the course of what's been one of the most unabashedly transparent and emotionally candid careers in the public limelight that America's ever seen. For Kanye, there is no artifice or contrivance. It's almost Joycean, his ability to describe life through the aperture of Kanye without holding back any punches: the base, the venal, the salacious, the sordid, the euphoric all given their due respect. It's almost asinine to insinuate that the authenticity Kanye has on display in TLOP is somehow "unintentional" when the album IS Kanye on full blast. I'm not imbuing meaning where it doesn't exist; I'm instead extrapolating the universal from the unrelentingly singular vision of one man with an uncanny ability to force listeners to see life as he sees it.

MThanded

I think Kanye's introspective yarns about excess, family, depression, insatiable ambition, Oedipal Complex, and immortality are infinitely more original, profound, human, and interesting than K. Dot's corny, derivative spiels on TPAB. And even with Kanye's notorious narcissism and penchant for dramatics, Pablo manages to be less self-indulgent and bloated than TPAB.

This is why we can't have nice things.

SystemBug

I think Kanye's introspective yarns about excess, family, depression, insatiable ambition, Oedipal Complex, and immortality are infinitely more original, profound, human, and interesting than K. Dot's corny, derivative spiels on TPAB. And even with Kanye's notorious narcissism and penchant for dramatics, Pablo manages to be less self-indulgent and bloated than TPAB.

lol this is too much

Okay I've listened to this enough to make some early rankings

Top Tracks:

1. FML
1a. Fade
3. Waves
4. Real Friends
5. Famous

6. Wolves
7. 30 Hours (Original Version)
8. Feedback

Bushes:

Everything else

Albums Rankings

1. Late Registration

2. Yeezus
3. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
4. Graduation
5. The Life of Pablo
5a. 808s & Heartbreak
7. College Dropout

I don't really see this changing that much in the future aside from Fade maybe becoming my clear favorite track. It's infectious. The album as a whole doesn't feel like a grower though, and the verses are really, really weak throughout which will only grind it down even more. A lot of missed potential all over the place.

Moonkid

Just finished my first listen and sadly it's not very coherent. It's still a bunch of dope songs but listening it to in order doesn't add much to it. I would have liked to see how it would have been before he kept on tweaking it last-minute.

Zekes!

Just finished my first listen and sadly it's not very coherent. It's still a bunch of dope songs but listening it to in order doesn't add much to it. I would have liked to see how it would have been before he kept on tweaking it last-minute.

This is how I felt at first. After a couple listens I feel that the album order kind of works? I don't know how to explain how it does though, so maybe I'm crazy. Shit's definitely grown on me quickly though.

jbug617

Banned
Kanye tweeting.

Thanks the people for Tidal being the #1 app on the app store.
Says Tidal is funding his scripted projects.
Practicing his Grammy Speech but will only attend if they tell him he going to win AOTY.
Says he made MBDTF and WTT in 1yr and didn't win a Grammy. Going to win 100 Grammys before his death.

MThanded

Tidal is also funding a lot of my scripted content ideas. It's a new day people. More Ultra Light Dreams to be realized. - @kanyewest

Man thank you so so so much everyone for signing up to Tidal. Tidal is now the number one app in the world!!! - @kanyewest

Tidal got you whipped man. Jay paying off all that debt.

Kanye tweeting.

Thanks the people for Tidal being the #1 app on the app store.
Says Tidal is funding his scripted projects.
Practicing his Grammy Speech but will only attend if they tell him he going to win AOTY.
Says he made MBDTF and WTT in 1yr and didn't win a Grammy. Going to win 100 Grammys before his death.
He's fooling himself if he thinks he's getting album of the year. I mean TLOP is okay, but come on. Not like the Grammys even matter.

Lol man, his tweets are something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom