• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
when Ye starts humming into the vocoder on Waves
Jo70DPy.png

Sadsic

PSY・S;195449006 said:
Probably trolling. But I did enjoy Symbol 2 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

im listening to this for my first time right now! im on Fade, its pretty legit

i just think if theres like multiple years of work put into an album for like one of the world's most known musical artists from multiple different people, you should try to avoid clipping/maximize headroom/hide digital artifacts better. theres a ton of obvious little flaws on these tracks that are easy to avoid, like using the right algorithm for your sample work (such as using a more complex algorithm to avoid digital artifacts) that you can do with just a button click these days

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I understand Fantano not liking it etc etc,,,,but howcan he say "Fade is the worst track" and he shits on the beat...how...just how.
Fantano's always has pretty wildly inconsistent in his opinions. He has a right to his opinion like anyone else but sometimes it's difficult to find any sort of throughline or pattern with him. It's video Pitchfork, essentially.

I imagine most people who care for his opinions only do so because he makes a point of things (positive or negative) a lot of other viewers don't consider.

ant1532

Banned

i just think if theres like multiple years of work put into an album for like one of the world's most known musical artists from multiple different people, you should try to avoid clipping/maximize headroom/hide digital artifacts better. theres a ton of obvious little flaws on these tracks that are easy to avoid, like using the right algorithm for your sample work (such as using a more complex algorithm to avoid digital artifacts) that you can do with just a button click these days

the album was mostly made in a month span

Ran rp

I blame Mike Dean.

https://twitter.com/therealmikedean/status/698793873330585600

But what if he didn't want it to sound clean or crisp? What if he wanted the clipping and artifacting? Maybe thats the difference between you and him?
the album was mostly made in a month span

Source?

Sadsic

But what if he didn't want it to sound clean or crisp? What if he wanted the clipping and artifacting? Maybe thats the difference between you and him?

its definitely possible, but it just makes the recording objectively worse sounding, although subjectively you could call it better

like lots of producers use vinyl crackle and cassette saturation on their tracks, but rarely are digital blemishes used on purpose except when its really obvious, like in glitch-type music such as fennesz

these are more little subtle things in these tracks that sound more like someone forgot to do look at the base settings in logic basically

Ashhong

but you mentioned the quality of the beats, not the clipping

this has been an issue with his albums since...MBDTF I believe. It sucks but theres nothing we can do about it

mozfan12

Banned
Just a rumor, but apparently Kanye Had A 'Meltdown' Right Before His SNL Performance.

Wouldn't surprise with how erratic he's been tweeting lately.

Man I just hope he gets some peace. I suffer from mental illness and I could not imagine coping with the success or fame he has had. Dude is too talented, but that same talent and drive can be a curse. I love this recent album so I hope we have Ye for years to come.

I actually find so much of the criticism disgusting. Don't even bother seeing any Facebook comments wishing he would off himself, you can see the guy is suffering at least from the stuff we'd been able to hear around the production of the album.

Sadsic

but you mentioned the quality of the beats, not the clipping

this has been an issue with his albums since...MBDTF I believe. It sucks but theres nothing we can do about it

the beats are part of the audio and the audio is clipping

i dont want to shit on yr guys parade so i will leave the topic now, you guys can have fun again lol

orochi91

What happened to the Wolves track?

I was really looking forward to it, but album version doesn't have Sia, Vic Mensa or the howling from the version played at his Clothing show :/

Swag

What happened to the Wolves track?

I was really looking forward to it, but album version doesn't have Sia, Vic Mensa or the howling from the version played at his Clothing show :/
Will most probably be in when the true version of the album drops on iTunes.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

i dont want to shit on yr guys parade so i will leave the topic now, you guys can have fun again lol
Hopefully you can produce on Ye's next album so it won't be so shitty

nib95

Banned
So, now that the album is out, just gonna post the best covers I've seen. Good index of fan made covers here:

First one is a Condo that apparently a DONDA employee was working on, KTT thinking it's a new cover (doubt it).

Debating on which of the last 4 to go with right now.

I quite liked two of them, so I just combined elements to make my own version. Quick and rough.

nib95_TLOP.jpg~original

Plus alternate version without border.

Ashhong

If when you say "pretty sure i can make beats this good" you are referring to the audio clipping then i have nothing to say lol. bs

Sadsic

If when you say "pretty sure i can make beats this good" you are referring to the audio clipping then i have nothing to say lol. bs

well i can definitely make cleaner mixes than any of the tracks on this album, which takes some amount of skill to do when juggling many different audio stems

but i also can make much more complex hip hop beats than anything on this album as well, and again, im just random fuck on the internet, so if an album has tons of money to throw at for engineering, this should be impossible

i dont want to link my own music in this topic cuz thats bm but i can pm you stuff if you want me to prove it

ant1532

Banned
well i can definitely make cleaner mixes than any of the tracks on this album, which takes some amount of skill to do when juggling many different audio stems

but i also can make much more complex hip hop beats than anything on this album as well, and again, im just random fuck on the internet, so if an album has tons of money to throw at for engineering, this should be impossible

i dont want to link my own music in this topic cuz thats bm but i can pm you stuff if you want me to prove it

i like your music and been listening for a couple years, but at the end of the day for this argument, it(music) is subjective, more complex music doesn't equate to better music(i know you never directly stated it does), less clipping doesn't make a good song, etc.

nib95

Banned
continuing with this

I don't know if I will get all 18 done but ill try

Wow, these are awesome. Have you done an album cover alternative yet?

Yes please, I'll take a PM. I'm always up for hearing new music.

Izuna

Banned

Oh come on now. You know what your tag says.

Sadsic

i like your music and been listening for a couple years, but at the end of the day for this argument, it(music) is subjective, more complex music doesn't equate to better music(i never you never directly stated it does), less clipping doesn't make a good song, etc.

i agree with this!

Oh come on now. You know what your tag says.

i didnt come in here to self-promote, ill try to actually not post in this topic again lol

SystemBug

Wow, these are awesome. Have you done an album cover alternative yet?.

not specifically, I was doing this small series where I make shitty quick portraits of famous icons and I did Kanye's just when Pablo was dropping. I might do the album art proper at the end.

^ thats the icon thing. I posted it earlier here

Those covers are incredibly pleasant to look at. Love it.

thanks!

it's a really fun exercise that lets me do something fun without spending a lot of time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom