• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like there's a potential great album built from NMPLA, Real Friends, Facts and 30 Hours; and another completely separate potential great album built from Fade, Freestyle, Feedback, FML and Wolves.

Everything all together, with so much quality stuff thrown in willy-nilly at the end, is a bummer. An album in the style of those first few songs listed above would have been a slam-dunk follow up to Yeezus.

Mortemis

Banned
PSY・S;195470873 said:
i know it's corny bitches you wish you could unfollow
i know it's corny niggas you wish you could unswallow

:/

ye pls. This and the asshole line are the only ones that really bring down these songs for me. I really hope he drops them in the final release.

I hope part of "fixing wolves" is changing or cutting that verse.

But man I really love wolves with Frank Ocean finishing. If we can get the best of both versions of this song it'll easily be one of if not my fav track.

Then you get that intro on FSMH Pt.1.

Beautiful morning, you're the sun in my morning babe
Nothing unwanted
Beautiful morning, you're the sun in my morning babe
Nothing unwanted

Bliss.

Oh are these the official lyrics? The previous Genius lyric had it something about moaning.

I like these much better.

Sometimes I feel like I'm not worthy of a warm Cudi hook in the morning, especially since the weather has been ass booty in NYC lately. Its like the perfect thing.

Servbot24

Banned
The lyrics on this album are such a frustration. We have Kendrick and Beyoncé making waves by taking relevant political stands, and then we have Kanye just talking about his dick. Not that everyone needs to be serious, but Ye should be better than this.

So after listening to the album about 10 times, gotta say I love it, but wish some of these songs didn't just feel like 2 minute mixtape type tracks. If every track was finished in the same capacity as ULB, FML, Waves, this album I'd say instantly gets to be discussed as one of his greatest.

Theres some absolutely GOD LEVEL stuff here. And then some not. I can only imagine what kind of album we'd have if it was totally fleshed out. Might really be 30 out of 10.

I hope part of "fixing wolves" is changing or cutting that verse.

But man I really love wolves with Frank Ocean finishing. If we can get the best of both versions of this song it'll easily be one of if not my fav track.

Good to know there is possible a better version of this song because what's on the album now is trash.

joelseph

I been saying this since day 1, ULB is the best thing on the album by FAR. Million times better than anything else. Instant classic.

Servbot24

Banned
Yea, I think it's a reflection of a lack of familiarity with the black church experience. Or even what the track is about.
You shouldn't even need familiarity with that, it's a brilliant track no matter how you look at it. I think the guy who didn't like it probably just doesn't like sparse production.

The more I listen to it, the more aimless the album becomes. There's a handful of great songs (with some very good production), but so much of the album feels regressive. Not particularly feeling it.

SKINNER!

Banned
The more I listen to it, the more aimless the album becomes. There's a handful of great songs (with some very good production), but so much of the album feels regressive. Not particularly feeling it.

I'm in the same boat. Great songs on it but it doesn't feel right. Same issue I had with Yeezus.

SKINNER!

Banned
Yeezus is anything but regressive and aimless. It's pretty damn cohesive. Maybe you just don't like the sound or songs?

There were a few songs I did like. Black Skinhead, New Slaves. Blood. I didn't like the sound of the other Tracks. It was a very hit/miss album for me. Could be that.

Is he? It's currently available on Bandcamp.

If you're talking about the Bandcamp that was listed a few days ago, that was not Kanye's (he doesn't have a Bandcamp) and it was taken down... because it's not his. So anyone who bought from that page, should be included in those piracy numbers in the article.

As a black man who grew up in and around the church...I feel ULB is just okay. It's nothing profound or amazing to me; just serviceable. Jesus Walks hypes me much more than this. I actually thought it was a skit at first, then Chance started rapping, and I was like okay whatever.

Yeah, I like ULB even if Chance, incredibly talented as he his, kind of annoys me for some reason.

30 Hours is crazy. That soulful Arthur Russell sample with the cello, the live sound on the drums, the tempo, that Dam Funk sounding bass...the whole thing is beautiful.

I wish Kanye didn't spend the first half rapping about his sexual insecurities and then phone in the second half, but I'll take it.

Koozek

Yeah, I like ULB even if Chance, incredibly talented as he his, kind of annoys me for some reason.

30 Hours is crazy. That soulful Arthur Russell sample with the cello, the live sound on the drums, the tempo, that Dam Funk sounding bass...the whole thing is beautiful.

I wish Kanye didn't spend the first half rapping about his sexual insecurities and then phone in the second half, but I'll take it.
Literally.

Hard

Banned
New thread worthy?

Kanye West album 'pirated 500,000 times' already

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35587381

Kanye West's latest album has already been illegally downloaded more than half a million times, estimates Torrent Freak.
The artist released The Life of Pablo on Jay-Z's music streaming service Tidal two days ago. Thousands of subscribers have complained that they have been unable to download the album, despite paying for it. It is currently one of the most popular music downloads on The Pirate Bay.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
After getting the tidal trial I gave it a couple of good listening sessions, with no distractions around me. First let me rank this among his other albums and say why it's at the place it's at.

Late Registration
College Dropout
MBDTF
Watch The Throne
TLOP
Graduation
Yeezus
808s

I only enjoyed 1 song in 808s. Other than that I felt 808s album was his worst. In TLOP I felt like there were moments of greatness in the album that came together well, lyrically and musically. Then there were songs that felt like he brought back the soul of 808s. A part of me thinks that this entire album was representative of his passage of time as an artist(maybe not fully in order) where the production of songs went from sounding like they came out of CD, then LR, then 808s, then Grad, then MBDTF, then Watch the throne and then finally a sprinkle of Yeezus. The intermission about Old Kanye and New Kanye made it feel like this even more so. He was taking you through his journey as an artist, like a 'best of' list but with entirely new tracks to represent his phases as a person. There was something in here for everyone and I think that might have been the point of this album. The only way to please everyone who loves each version of Kanye, is to give them every version of Kanye. That way everyone can love Kanye like Kanye loves Kanye. This could easily be a final album with how it is set up and I think it's worth a listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom