• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasliquid

I'm enjoying my free trial of Tidal, no idea what in yeezus's name ill do at the end if it really does stay exclusive

I feel like ULB and NMPLA were two of the last tracks added, hopefully we can get something more in line with those maybe next year or something.

On my fifth listen and its getting better. Definetly not up there with MBDTF for me tho.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
how the fuck was Waves almost not on the album

tumblr_nttnjuEZvO1qlwl18o1_500.gif

THANK YOU CHANCE
THANK YOU CHANCE
THANK YOU CHANCE
THANK YOU CHANCE
THANK YOU CHANCE

Ran rp

The lyrics on this album are such a frustration. We have Kendrick and Beyoncé making waves by taking relevant political stands, and then we have Kanye just talking about his dick. Not that everyone needs to be serious, but Ye should be better than this.

The production and features carry the album for sure. It'd be amazing if he took this time to rewrite some of his verses and deliver something more worthy of the instrumentals but I don't know if he's in the right mind for that atm.

Hip Hop

enough kanye threads.

I sure hope kanye saw this coming. surely he understands this is what happens why you try to pull something like this in 2016, right?

I mean, more than likely, he (and Def Jam) already got paid and then some the amount it would have done with a non-exclusive and physical release with the TIDAL deal.

One of my friends pirated the album. He was one of the folks that bought it on Tidal, but couldn't download it. Can't fault him for that. I'm just using the trial. If it's really not coming to other music platforms or being released physical, it's gonna suck not being able to listen to this amazing album in a month.

Maybe this has something do with why Highlights was so awkward and terrible? ULB was much better.

Yeah possibly.

By the way, why exactly is he so keen on keeping this Tidal exclusive all of a sudden? Wouldn't he actually get much more sales if he'd just sell physical copies as well in stores and also release it to Spotify, Apple Music etc?

Ric Flair

Banned
So, I found a stream and gave it a listen. Not feeling it at all. All the songs sound samey to me. It also gives me generic radio vibes. Maybe it's just not my cup of tea, but I'd put graduation or late registration far above this album.

Catvoca

Banned
Alright, after listening to the album non-stop since it's release and giving a Yeezus a little re-listen, I feel like I'm ready to rate TLOP with the other albums. I should say I like every Kanye album, even my least favourites.

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
808's and Heartbreak
Late Registration
The Life of Pablo
Graduation
Yeezus
College Dropout
Watch the Throne.

I really like the album, warts and all. It if was re-mastered and some of the vocals re-written and re-recorded it would maybe be his best work, because the beats themselves are insane. As it stands it's a sometimes frustrating but frequently brilliant album. Maybe after some patches it'll overtake LR for me, but it's pretty unlikely he'll make the big, sweeping changes I think the album needs.

Favourite track is Ultralight Beam, but I really love Feedback, Real Friends, FML, Famous, Waves and 30 Hours. Oh and the beat to Fade.

Meier

Y'all know it would have been pirated just as much even if he did release it everywhere, right?

I don't think that's true at all. I'm confident that music torrent numbers are WAY down because most people just stream now. Going through the effort of downloading the torrent then plugging in your phone and manually moving shit off iTunes is frankly a few steps too many. The fact the article indicated that the torrent stat tracker types don't look at music much these days speaks volumes.

I tried. I tried hard. But this is kind of a flop for me.

Ultralight Beam grew on me and ironically is one of my favorite tracks, Famous, Low Lights, 30 Hours, Waves and Fade are all bangers, everything else is pretty messy. The production is all over the place, the best verses are from featured artists, and so many of the songs don't have a theme or any flow, they're just random shit.

Oh, and that model with the bleached asshole line is one of the worst lines he's ever dropped on a track.

Definitely dissapointed as a big fan of Ye, this barely cuts it. Take me back to Yeezus, MBDTF and 808 please.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I really like the album, warts and all. It if was re-mastered and some of the vocals re-written and re-recorded it would maybe be his best work, because the beats themselves are insane. As it stands it's a sometimes frustrating but frequently brilliant album. Maybe after some patches it'll overtake LR for me, but it's pretty unlikely he'll make the big, sweeping changes I think the album needs.

This is how I feel. Cut one or two of the weaker tracks. Extend one or two of the good ones (like jesus why does pt 2 end just when I'm getting into it??) I also still feel like the track list feels slightly out of order in a few areas. And of course the mastering and some of Kanye's verses are shit... other than that I feel like it is a good album that could have been great. The wasted potential is my biggest letdown, but I'm still gonna keep it in rotation for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom