• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaintDeftone

I must be the only one who doesn't care for Ultra Light Beams. Song does nothing for me. I love every song on this album aside from ULB and Lowlights. *shrugs*

Ashhong

I

Yeah I think you're underestimating how huge Gold Digger and Jesus Walks got + how people actually bought albums back then (well not as much as like the 70s but still way more than today)

? Did you quote the wrong person? Because I was saying that I don't think it would have sold that much anyway.

People can point to Adele or Taylor in regards to album sales, but they are the outliers, and I don't think Kanye would have done those numbers these days. This had similar hype in the media compared to Yeezus, what numbers did that do?

hughesta

Banned
Low lights is great just a bit too long
agreed. the shorter version he played at MSG was perfect. Hope he fixes that on the final release.

I keep saying it, but that shorter version of Low Lights and the OG Wolves S80 apparently got, minus bonus tracks... wow. ULB - Wolves would probably make for my favorite Kanye album.

megalowho

Cringing at the Taylor Swift lines, still have absolutely no clue why Kanye thought it would be great to drag that shit up again. And even if it was just a joke, it's something he should've just left alone.
Kanye's insecurity is all over this record. It always has been but it feels a little more desperate and sadder on TLOP. Granted I like that about the album, those handful of lines are still bad but the subtext is at least interesting to me.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Low lights is great just a bit too long

I have to agree on that one...was listening this morning in the shower and I was like damn...this goes on a lot longer when not driving lol.

Honestly do you guys think they should just combine Father Stretch My Hands Pt. 1 & 2?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I have to agree on that one...was listening this morning in the shower and I was like damn...this goes on a lot longer when not driving lol.

Honestly do you guys think they should just combine Father Stretch My Hands Pt. 1 & 2?
They should. I like them together but it gives the illusion of a longer album lolol just like low lights, silver surfer, outro to 30 hours, and the bonus songs. It's not working Kanye. I know this damn album is 36 minutes. It sucks that he cuts so many songs and just keeps them on a hard drive. Kanye cuz lemmie borrow your laptop for the weekend and your passwords too. I'll need those

hughesta

Banned
Kanye's insecurity is all over this record. It always has been but it feels a little more desperate and sadder on TLOP. Granted I like that about the album, those handful of lines are still bad but the subtext is at least interesting to me.
I think that's the point - a lot like Pusha's verse on Runaway - is to come off as a huge asshole. That seems to be the whole point of that track, to explain the fame he's received has degraded his morals from the religious, faithful man desiring peace shown on ULB. The falloff starts immediately with FSMH Part 1, but Famous just takes it to a whole other level.

edit: meant to quote Kaizer, sorry!

Cringing at the Taylor Swift lines, still have absolutely no clue why Kanye thought it would be great to drag that shit up again. And even if it was just a joke, it's something he should've just left alone.

Just listened to wolves for the first time..

"You tried to play nice, everybody just took advantage
You left your fridge open, somebody just took a sandwich"

tumblr_n3btn4J6RW1r0jlbgo1_250.gif

10/10 album

I think that's the point - a lot like Pusha's verse on Runaway - is to come off as a huge asshole. That seems to be the whole point of that track, to explain the fame he's received has degraded his morals from the religious, faithful man desiring peace shown on ULB. The falloff starts immediately with FSMH Part 1, but Famous just takes it to a whole other level.
DIS DAT RAP GAW SHIT NIGGA

Ran rp

Idk, Low Lights as it is the perfect length for me. 2 minutes to chill out and wind down from the intensity of Pt. 2 --> Famous --> Feedback. Edit: I actually thought the stream version was too short the first time around.

j-wood

Does Ye realize his friend making 370 dollars a day makes almost 2 grand per work for a normal work week? WTF Ye lol. I'm all for lower text book costs but come on

FaintDeftone

Is it because they are really religious??

Not at all. ULB is just too "gosphel-y" in style for my tastes and Lowlights is just some lady preaching the whole time; its not even really a song. Like I said though, I love pretty much every song on the album aside from those two.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
They should. I like them together but it gives the illusion of a longer album lolol just like low lights, silver surfer, outro to 30 hours, and the bonus songs. It's not working Kanye. I know this damn album is 36 minutes. It sucks that he cuts so many songs and just keeps them on a hard drive. Kanye cuz lemmie borrow your laptop for the weekend and your passwords too. I'll need those

I really hope eventually he just releases a bunch of tracks that were made, but not made available to the public.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
You know, I would been perfectly fine if the album had ended on Wolves. The tracks after that are ok, but Wolves would have been a good stopping point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom