• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
That "meltdown" is quite tame by Ye standards, it's like people are just finding out about him for the first time in 2016

Doesn't make him look any less ridiculous or crazy for that matter.

Anyway, the new version of Wolves sounds better than the original and the one that was put in the album.

jacobeid

Banned
Really? I think the consensus is that the mastering is the bad part.

Eh, yeah this is more of what I was getting at. Jumped the gun a bit and used engineering as an all encompassing terms but that doesn't make much sense here with the lack of acoustic recording techniques.

Ok, so let's go with the mastering. It's not great. First listen was through my AT-M50X. I'm going to see if anything changes when I put it through my system.

Nah, there's serious issues with lows and highs just sounding too close to the same level.

There's even a volume change in between a few songs.

Thought this was just me. It's most notable on Famous, specifically Rihanna's chorus. It is so fucking loud. I have to lower the volume, have the beat drop ruined, then turn it up just so I can shit myself when she comes back in after the first verse. It's awful.

VoxPop

My friend works at Tidal and gave me a bunch of 1-3 month sub cards. They're sitting around collecting dust but I guess I have a reason to use one now.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
i didn't think about it earlier but that new Wolves version appearing out of nowhere this morning is kinda suspicious

almost as if Ye himself leaked it
b26FXjM.png

br3wnor

Probably 8 full listens the past 2 days, it just keeps getting better and better. This has a serious chance of becoming my favorite Ye album.

My friend works at Tidal and gave me a bunch of 1-3 month sub cards. They're sitting around collecting dust but I guess I have a reason to use one now.

You get the first month free so probably better off saving them for months 2-4

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
i didn't think about it earlier but that new Wolves version appearing out of nowhere this morning is kinda suspicious

almost as if Ye himself leaked it
b26FXjM.png

A bunch of fan edits of wolves have been floating since about hour 2 on tidal. Someone got a hold of the SNL performance and was able to get the mic feed from Sia and Vic.

All of those samples tho? I'm betting money Ye emptied his recycling bin to the internet.

sdornan

Yeah, same thoughts here.

Nah, there's serious issues with lows and highs just sounding too close to the same level.

There's even a volume change in between a few songs.

The very true observation you make about the lows and highs being too close to the same level is due to the album being mastered too loudly, resulting in a lowered amount of dynamic range between the quietest sound and the loudest sound.

Ok, so let's go with the mastering. It's not great. First listen was through my AT-M50X. I'm going to see if anything changes when I put it through my system.
It does sound better through speakers than headphones because it's harder to hear and pick out the flaws. Still not as good as it could be or would be if they mastered it at lower level.

Izuna

Banned
Just listened to Yeezus... Yeah, I like TLoP more when the order is changed slightly.

I tell you what though, Blood on the Leaves is incredible

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Kanye's verse in Wolves is loud af, and F. Ocean sounded like he was recording with a shit mic

You should go back a few pages and check out the version nib's uploaded. Personally I could do without the drums but it's a good mix that has Vic and Sia added back in.

I assume this was posted yet, but Pitchfork gave the album a 9 and Kanye went on a Twitter rant. What else is new. But then he said white media outlets should not comment on black music anymore. Come on now Kanye.

He would not like my review neither if I was a big outlet, cause it wouldn't even come near a 9. Unfortunately not.

Ashhong

My first impression as a fan of Kanye's music after the first listen is pretty disappointing. Not even necessarily in terms of the music, but of the actual audio engineering. It's really surprising how terribly it's mixed considering that we're talking about Kanye...

Kanye hasn't had a well mixed album in almost 8 years

I assume this was posted yet, but Pitchfork gave the album a 9 and Kanye went on a Twitter rant. What else is new. But then he said white media outlets should not comment on black music anymore. Come on now Kanye.

He would not like my review neither if I was a big outlet, cause it wouldn't even come near a 9. Unfortunately not.

It didn't suprise me. Pitchfork gave MBDTF a 10, LR 9.5 and Yeezus 9.5 so he wasn't going to be satisfied with anything less than that.

Get'sMad

my Senn HD600s crapped out on me recently so I haven't given it a proper headphone listen but it sounds fine to me on my tower speakers/sub set up in my living room (and also good in my car)

but my ears are also probably terrible now after years and years of playing music too loud/going to concerts etc....

Ashhong

I am pretty positive Kanye tweeted his "white media" comments before the Pitchfork review. Wasn't his rant about something else?

jk, confused it with Rolling Stone

Mortemis

Banned
After listening to OG Wolves for a while I think I like Frank's part better in the beginning. It's still amazing in the end, but being an intro then having the beat drop sounds good.

Plus, when listening to the album wolves, I think Kanye's "we're surrounded by the fucking wolves" works as a good closer to it.

But man am I in love with this song, both versions. Prob my fav track on the album now.

Ok, holy shit I need to apologize GAF. I just got done listening to 808s and Heartbreak and damn son. Not a single track I didn't like. I mean does it get better because if so I can see why you guys praise his music so much.

So I may not like some of the man child antics he does in real life, but you are right I simply cannot deny his musical ability. His music is, i don't even know how to describe it, but is just so different from album to album but it just keeps getting better. When those drums kicked in on Love Lockdown, I was fucking jammin in the car.

I'm a believer, but after listening to the first 4 albums today I need a break to reset myself. I'm impressed GAF, I can't wait to get to TLOP so I can join in on the feast.

So far for me:
808s and Heartbreak
College Dropout
Graduation
Late Registration

We will see after I get caught up. :)
Birth of a Stan.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Catching up:

- New Angels sounds like it has potential
- Weeknd is far superior, but if we had only heard the La Flame hook on FML we'd still be eating
- Album version of Highlights sounds better
- No surprise, S80 dudes overhyped OG versions to an insane degree. Fade just sounds like the vocals are references.
- I'll take more Bon Iver where I can take it; Fall Out of Heaven also sounds like it has potential, Dream sounds dope on it too. So clearly unfinished though. Most of these are reference tracks.
- Caroline Shaw needs to become a frequent collaborator with Ye in the future
- Ye's SNL audio is kind of warranted if they pulled a switcheroo on him last minute. At least we know WHICH ONE(s) now, though. That shot at Swift though, like on Famous, is completely unnecessary.
- I missed all the leaks. Seems like all the links are down, but also seems like I didn't miss much? All reference and unfinished tracks.
- GOAT Wolves is still the one without Ye's verse at all, sorry.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT2| We're surrounded by, the different Wolves

Owari

Catching up:

- New Angels sounds like it has potential
- Weeknd is far superior, but if we had only heard the La Flame hook on FML we'd still be eating
- Album version of Highlights sounds better
- No surprise, S80 dudes overhyped OG versions to an insane degree. Fade just sounds like the vocals are references.
- I'll take more Bon Iver where I can take it; Fall Out of Heaven also sounds like it has potential, Dream sounds dope on it too. So clearly unfinished though. Most of these are reference tracks.
- Caroline Shaw needs to become a frequent collaborator with Ye in the future
- Ye's SNL audio is kind of warranted if they pulled a switcheroo on him last minute. At least we know WHICH ONE(s) now, though. That shot at Swift though, like on Famous, is completely unnecessary.
- I missed all the leaks. Seems like all the links are down, but also seems like I didn't miss much? All reference and unfinished tracks.
- GOAT Wolves is still the one without Ye's verse at all, sorry.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT2| We're surrounded by, the different Wolves
Wait the OG version leaked? Where can I hear this?

Yeezus didn't meltdown, guys. He's still sane-ish!

But a source close to Kanye West tells EW, “He did not yell at SNL staff. The audio was secretly recorded while he was venting his frustration in a private moment with his team.” The source adds that West’s stage design was “taken apart…without anyone’s approval. He had spent an entire day rehearsing and [put] a lot of hard work into the performance. Dramatic set changes were made 30 minutes before going live. It should be understandable why he was upset after being completely blindsided.”

While West may have been disappointed with his SNL appearance, the source says he ended the night on better terms. “Kanye was seen hugging [SNL creator and producer] Lorne Michaels just before the goodnights,” says the source. “And he stayed afterwards to chat with the staff and cast, and thanked the producers on his way out the door.”

Looks like he isn't off his Lexapro.

Ashhong

Oh, I didn't realize the article said he was yelling at them. The recording sounded like he was just yelling at his crew backstage to me.

He spent all day fucking Friday on his performance? Could have been time spent on his album. Fucking SNL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom