• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughesta

Banned
Yeezus is definitely better than MBDTF. The lowest low on Yeezus is Bound 2, which is like a 7/10 song. Everything else is 9 or 10. MBDTF never dips below an 8, but it has quite a few of those.

nib95

Banned
Thinking of doing an OG and album Fade mash up. Have the funky OG opener at the beginning of the album version, or at the end to smoothen it off?

Rembrandt

Banned

Kanye did say this last year on the breakfast club:
"When she was the victim, she won every award," West said Swift told him.

"Now that she's powerful and the biggest selling artist she's not winning awards anymore because they are like 'What do you need?

and also

I did find this:

and he also said Taylor told that he should have ran on stage and interrupted Beck.

I really wouldn't be surprised if she did say the song was okay, tbh.

I tried, but I could tell it wasn't going to do any good. He also said that the first half of the album "wasn't music", so I just ignored him.

get him fired.

GamerJM

Banned
Yeezus gets too much hate from people who dislike it IMO, but it's still one of Ye's weakest albums. I'd definitely put it below MBDTF.

Rembrandt

Banned
PSY・S;195723737 said:
I'm listening to MBDTF and Yeezus in full for the first time in forever and.. I think I'd put Yeezus over MBDTF now.

Yeezus is better than MBDTF

That's because Yeezus is his best album.

Quit pretending that Yeezus is good.

wow and I like Yeezus. but MBDTF is amazing consistent. Yeezus has some amazing highs, but is also set off by some terrible lows and weird lyrical/production dissonance (Blood on the Leaves).

Yeezus is definitely better than MBDTF. The lowest low on Yeezus is Bound 2, which is like a 7/10 song. Everything else is 9 or 10. MBDTF never dips below an 8, but it has quite a few of those.

Even Send It Up or I Am A God?

FZZ

Banned
TLOP
808s
Yeezus
CD
LR
MBDTF

image.php

I gave you what you wanted now fix that damned list

Kaizer

Banned
I put Yeezus & MBDTF on nearly equal footing, like if MBDTF is a 9 out of 10, Yeezus is an 8.5 out of 10, I enjoy them both immensely but Yeezus had slightly more songs that I felt weren't of the highest quality looking back now.

hughesta

Banned
Even Send It Up or I Am A God?
I Am A God has fantastic production and a stellar first verse, and while Send It Up isn't a great song on its own, it's perfect where it is on the album. Riding after the incredibly emotional ending to Blood On The Leaves and the remorseful Guilt Trip, it's a fucking banger with a crazy beat and some hilarious lines.

RDreamer

GAF, I've literally never listened to Kanye before. Not even a song (that I knew about).

For some reason I'm listening now and almost halfway through MBDTF. I'm digging it.

What is actually good about MBDTF?

If I understood what I'm supposed to be listening for that's so brilliant, maybe I'd get it. I've tried a few times now, and I always just find it boring as fuck. All of the Lights is probably the best track, and that's a 7.5/10 at best.

Should I smoke a joint and listen to it? Sometimes shit can take a long time to click. I remember I really disliked black metal for years until one day I found myself loving it.

The beginning and ending of MBDTF are great, but that middle section of Monster (ehhhhh), So Appalled (bloated), Devil In A New Dress (yawn), and Runaway (too looooong) pull the album down IMO. Not a fun stretch to listen through.

Yeezus >>>

Anth0ny

send it up and guilt trip are definitely the worst two songs on yeezus

still good songs doe

I don't understand the hate for bound 2. perfect way to end that album imo. it also gave us that fucking video.

donttellyourmomshitxgj4g.gif

Ran rp

The beginning and ending of MBDTF are great, but that middle section of Monster (ehhhhh), So Appalled (bloated), Devil In A New Dress (yawn), and Runaway (too looooong) pull the album down IMO. Not a fun stretch to listen through.

Yeezus >>>

Yup, that's my problem. I just don't care for a good chunk of the core anymore.

DIAND is dope though.

Eos

We better be getting some new news today since it's been 1 week since the stream

Yeezus, which is probably kanye's most stripped down album, has better beats and is more interesting imo. The songs are more focused, intense and emotional. Mbdtf feels bloated with all the overproduction and features but I still love it as well. However, dark fantasy is much, much better lyrically lol.
TLOP
808s
Yeezus
CD
LR
MBDTF
image.php

Catvoca

Banned
Yeezus would be 10x better if Guilt Trip wasn't on it

I really like Yeezus but Guilt Trip, I'm In It and Send It Up don't do much for me.

Yeezus >>>

Devil in a New Dress and Runaway are like the best songs on the album, and Monster is a banger.

FZZ

Banned
So is everyone expecting the album to be finalized and released this Friday?

Or will we just get a G.O.O.D Friday track
Can U Be please :(

Devil in a New Dress and Runaway are like the best songs on the album, and Monster is a banger.

Devil In A New Dress is that early career use of soul sampling I'm not trying to hear these days. Except for that dope guitar solo in the middle, it puts me to sleep. Same reason I dislike Bound 2 (except that track's even worse with the godawful hook)

Never liked Runaway. *shrug*

Monster is still a banger and I love the rhythm of the hook, but the verses are so corny. I can't listen to it anymore.

EDIT: I'll fall back if this is too off topic though.

nib95

Banned
Basically with Kanye albums there's always going to be mixed opinions. Whilst I enjoyed Yeezus, I think MBDTF is on a whole other level. Yeezus sort of felt like a fairly concentrated little musical tantrum, full of harshness and aggressive, albeit highly interesting sounds, MBDTF on the other hand feels like a far more layered, epic, grandiose and transgressive experience, that still manages to retain a lot of that dark atmosphere, but offered in a way that literally no other Hip Hop album has achieved.

Catvoca

Banned
I feel like I have the same problem with TLOP as I do early access games right now, i'm not sure how much more of the album I should listen to if he's actually going to fix stuff soon. I don't want to burn out on it before he makes any changes.

Anth0ny

Devil in a new dress is the only song on the album that isn't great :|

Monster has also aged kinda poorly, but in 2010... Fire. Nicki went off and it was amazing, but today I can barely stand the sound of her voice.

Eos

I feel like I have the same problem with TLOP as I do early access games right now, i'm not sure how much more of the album I should listen to if he's actually going to fix stuff soon. I don't want to burn out on it before he makes any changes.
That's what I've been doing. I probably won't play it again until we get the "real" version.

Devil in a new dress is the only song on the album that isn't great :|

Monster has also aged kinda poorly, but in 2010... Fire. Nicki went off and it was amazing, but today I can barely stand the sound of her voice.

Monster takes it for the nicki and Rick Ross feats, hell of a life is the best MBDTF track

robotrock

Banned

In the end, TLOP really was the perfect Street Fighter V soundtrack

Catvoca

Banned
That's what I've been doing. I probably won't play it again until we get the "real" version.

I want to do this, but the album's so good I can't stop myself. I'm like "Just one more listen to ULB" and then I get through the full thing.

Rembrandt

Banned
Basically with Kanye albums there's always going to be mixed opinions. Whilst I enjoyed Yeezus, I think MBDTF is on a whole other level. Yeezus sort of felt like a fairly concentrated little musical tantrum, full of harshness and aggressive, albeit highly interesting sounds, MBDTF on the other hand feels like a far more layered, epic, grandiose and transgressive experience, that still manages to retain a lot of that dark atmosphere, but offered in a way that literally no other Hip Hop album has achieved.

This sums up my feelings. MBDTF can get so dark at time, but it's paired with some beautiful production. It's also Kanye at his lyrical best, imo. You can go through each song and just find some bars that just stick with you. The release and buildup also helped sell the album. I remember him first performing Runaway at the VMAs after disappearing for like a year and you can hear boos, but once it's done, nothing but cheers. Plus that interlude to All of the Lights.

How can a person not fuck with Runaway? It's one of the best songs ever. Blame Game is GOAT, too. Lost in the World. Power is a one of a kind song, too. It's really Kanye at his best.

Monster takes it for the nicki and Rick Ross feats, hell of a life is the best MBDTF track

How could you say they live their life wrong, when you never fuck with the lights on?

perfect ending.

Izuna

Banned
MBDTF is a masterpiece album. I really don't understand any hate whatsoever. Maybe you guys want it to song like other rap, but it isn't supposed to be. It's what it is, something you ain't getting anywhere else.

EDIT: Like wait a sec, how does can anyone not like POWER? It's nowhere the best, but it's very easy to like.

Jay-Hova

Banned
Devil In A New Dress is that early career use of soul sampling I'm not trying to hear these days. Except for that dope guitar solo in the middle, it puts me to sleep. Same reason I dislike Bound 2 (except that track's even worse with the godawful hook)

Never liked Runaway. *shrug*

Monster is still a banger and I love the rhythm of the hook, but the verses are so corny. I can't listen to it anymore.

EDIT: I'll fall back if this is too off topic though.
Just because they're soul songs doesn't mean they sound like Kanye's earlier work, do you really dislike stuff based on it "being a throwback" rather than the quality of the songs?
I like all Kanye so i'm not predisposed towards or against any sound.
I think Bound 2 has some of Kanye's best/most creative song writing and believe his verses on Devil are two of the best verse of all time.
Maybe its because I didn't listen to it until last year, but I never got the hype behind Nicki's verse, I though every other feature on the album was better than her's except for Jay om Monster (which he made up for on So Appalled) and thought Kanye had multiple verses better than her's including his on Monster.
What am I missing?

Just because they're soul songs doesn't mean they sound like Kanye's earlier work, do you really dislike stuff based on it "being a throwback" rather than the quality of the songs?
I like all Kanye so i'm not predisposed towards or against any sound.
I think Bound 2 has some of Kanye's best/most creative song writing and believe his verses on Devil are two of the best verse of all time.

It's just not a sound I'm a huge fan of unless the producer really puts a twist on it, hence why I singled out the guitar solo/instrumental run in the middle of the song as the one part I like. The rest is a pretty standard and repetitive soul loop, the kind I was already tired of in 2004, never mind 2010. When it comes to using soul samples, Kanye peaked on Late Registration IMO (also his best album outright), where it alternated between a heavier blues atmosphere and big orchestral cinematic strings. If not that, I prefer Kanye with a prog rock/electronic feel.

Everyone has their own ranking though

Im one of those people who prefer Yeezus to MBDTF. Both great albums, but songs like Black Skinhead, New Slaves and Blood On The Leaves are very daring and out there music wise and thats why they are one of the all time hip hop classics imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom