• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

x-Lundz-x

OK GAF, I'll try and keep this as short as I can but I just want to give a little detailed impression now that I have listened to all the albums for thee first time in order over the past 24 hours.

As I stated earlier, I started this little endeavor because of the popularity of this thread and the sheer amount of action it was getting. I have always bagged on Kanye because of his antics and how I perceived him. I've bagged on his music solely based on ignorance and just wanting to hate on his music because I enjoyed hating on him.

Keep in mind, I went into this expecting to hate it with a passion. I WANTED to hate his music. Let me tell you something, I FUCKING LOVE HIS MUSIC. I don't even know what to say, other than I am embarrassed I have dismissed him for so long. Just like a lot of you have said, it is incredible someone can change his style so much over 7 albums and still be enjoyable to listen to, I've never heard anything like this from another group or artist, other than maybe the Beatles. You can really tell how he has evolved and grown in his ability as the albums go along.

Anyway, on to my rankings. I'm not going to go into too much detail because this is the TLOP OT, but here is what I currently think. Please keep in mind, I don't think any of them are bad in any way, it's just the ones I'm ranking at the top just had me like WOW, that was awesome after the album was done. The others I still thought were great, not a single bad album here.

#1:
MBDTF: Simply amazing from start to finish, just wow.

#2:
808's and Heartbreak: Slightly below MBDTF, but still every track on this album had me jammin. Love Lockdown, yeah buddy.

#3:
Watch The Throne: A lot of great tracks, had me jammin hard with a couple of them.

#4:
Graduation: Great album, I really think he started to hit his stride here.

#5:
The College Dropout: A lot of great tracks, but you can tell he was just starting out

Yeezus: This is a tough one for me, there were a few tracks I loved on this album and others I was just WTF. As some of you stated I'll probably need a few listens to really get it.

Late Registration: I don't know why this is last other than it just didn't really blow me away like most of his others did. Still, not a bad album at all, just comes in last place in an amazing discography.

So there is is GAF. This has been a cool experience for me to be honest, I feel like I've changed just a little bit. I really need to keep an more open mind about things and not just write them off because of something like LOL Kanye. I cannot wait to listen to TLOP. I am a believer GAF, Kanye is an amazing artist. Not saying the best of all time now come on, but man you cannot deny his is fucking talented. Just Wow.

jay23

My favorite songs

ULB
OG Wolves
Father stretch my hands pt1( I want an extended version NEED MORE "BEAUTIFUL MORNING")
Song may be better without the Ye verse
Famous

PSY・S;195821975 said:
Man, ye's corny verse ruined Highlights. It could've been this season's Street Lights but nope, let's rap about Ray J's boring ass. I mean, I still love the song for the most part but I can't help but be disappointed.

Edit: Same goes for Freestyle 4.

and FSMH1... sigh

Lol I'm with you, Highlights would be so much better without that Ray J line.

Ashhong

Nice impressions Lundz! Glad you enjoyed his music. I wish more people were willing to do the same instead of just writing him off based on twitter.

udiie

As I stated earlier, I started this little endeavor because of the popularity of this thread and the sheer amount of action it was getting. I have always bagged on Kanye because of his antics and how I perceived him. I've bagged on his music solely based on ignorance and just wanting to hate on his music because I enjoyed hating on him.

felt the same way until i heard Monster, and realized what i was missing out on
that song changed my music taste so much

I'm writing a short paper about the MSG theater event for my music class.

"Was there anything different about this event compared to other music events?"

RAAAAAH

I'll share this here. I graduated college in December, woke up and played the graduation Album :")

Now Kanye trying to destroy my life with this thread :"| .....

robotrock

Banned
Lundz, will you listen to the current version of TLOP on Tidal right now, or wait for the finished version that's totally happening and will for a fact drop at 11pm EST on iTunes and Spotify?

m23

So there is is GAF. This has been a cool experience for me to be honest, I feel like I've changed just a little bit. I really need to keep an more open mind about things and not just write them off because of something like LOL Kanye. I cannot wait to listen to TLOP. I am a believer GAF, Kanye is an amazing artist. Not saying the best of all time now come on, but man you cannot deny his is fucking talented. Just Wow.

Thanks for the impressions. Happy that you enjoy his music, this thread delivered on so many fronts.

x-Lundz-x

Lundz, will you listen to the current version of TLOP on Tidal right now, or wait for the finished version that's totally happening and will for a fact drop at 11pm EST on iTunes and Spotify?

I'm not signing up for Tidal today, but I only want to listen to the officially released album. Is this for real happening? I really want it to be on Spotify badly, that's all I use.

images

Mortemis

Banned
Great post Lundz. Like I said before, your tastes and mine line up pretty well. Yeezus was definitely a grower for me, so give it a couple more listens. When Blood on the Leaves really hits you, you know just how fantastic it really is.

I'm not signing up for Tidal today, but I only want to listen to the officially released album. Is this for real happening? I really want it to be on Spotify badly, that's all I use.

We really have no idea. It's all wishful thinking tbh.

We don't actually know what is or isn't happening
At the very least, the finished album will probably be up this weekend, and that might be when we'll know what the plans end up being like

I enjoyed your reactions to the albums
I suggest listening to Cruel Summer too, not really a Kanye album but he pretty much directed it too
You can watch the "Runaway" move as well
And yeah, give Yeezus a few more listens, especially one day when you just feel tired of other people or angry

nib95

Banned
Might as well do my personal track ranking.

Incredible
FML
Real Friends
Wolves
Freestyle 4

Great
Famous
Ultralight Beam
Pt. 2
30 Hours

Solid
Highlights
Waves
Father Stretch My Hands Pt. 1
Fade

Good
Feedback
No More Parties in L.A.
I Love Kanye

Ok
Facts

Meh
Silver Surfer Intermission
Low lights

Mortemis

Banned
Top Favs:
FML
Fade
Real Friends
ULB
FSMH 1&2

Great:
Waves
Famous
Wolves
Freestyle 4
Highlights

Good:
30 hours
Feedback

Then the rest

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I can't pick favourites, the entire album is so good.

The only track I don't feel and skip is Freestyle 4

x-Lundz-x

We don't actually know what is or isn't happening
At the very least, the finished album will probably be up this weekend, and that might be when we'll know what the plans end up being like

I enjoyed your reactions to the albums
I suggest listening to Cruel Summer too, not really a Kanye album but he pretty much directed it too
You can watch the "Runaway" move as well
And yeah, give Yeezus a few more listens, especially one day when you just feel tired of other people or angry

Great post Lundz. Like I said before, your tastes and mine line up pretty well. Yeezus was definitely a grower for me, so give it a couple more listens. When Blood on the Leaves really hits you, you know just how fantastic it really is.

We really have no idea. It's all wishful thinking tbh.

Yeah I definitely will be listening to them all again soon. I want to hear TLOP before I do though.

And i really really really do not want to sign up for Tidal so hopefully I wake up tomorrow and can listen to TLOP on Spotify and join in the feast lol.

MThanded

So if this album for real is not getting a physical or digital why hasn't def jam given me my preorder money back?

Red_Man

What's KTT's reasoning for this releasing at 11 et tonight? Is it just blind wishing?

I've already taken enough L's for this album

You know whats fucked up. In the age of manufactured celebrities, this dude has the balls to publicly admit that he is under debt and stick by what he says. And he's get shit for that. People may not like what he says but damn he keeps it real. I am turning into a full fledged stan bruhs.

What's everyone's favourites off of the album so far?

Mines easily FML

Facts is decent too

Famous and Fade.

Fade is the only track I keep going back to over and over. I should say I legitimately dislike Post Malone as a person and a musician but I love that track so much I can tolerate his corny no swagger having ass.

That Reddit link has a link to Google Drive as well, but I can't download any of the songs and they also don't start playing when I click them.

213372bu

Banned
What's everyone's favourites off of the album so far?

Mines easily FML

Facts is decent too

In no order my tops are:

Real Friends
30 Hours
Ultralight Beam
Father Stretch My Hands Pt1.& Pt.2
Wolves
I Love Kanye
Feedback

Honestly, it's kinda hard to make a top list without having to cut off some tracks I really like.

x-Lundz-x

I like TLOP, but Lundz's reviews are life.

What a journey

Hah, I'm glad I could have a little impact for some of you guys and gals. It really was awesome, 7 and soon to be 8 new albums all in a row. It was kinda surreal. It's crazy, I feel like a part of me has woken up. I need TLOP on my Spotify like now Ye, make it happen.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
You know whats fucked up. In the age of manufactured celebrities, this dude has the balls to publicly admit that he is under debt and stick by what he says. And he's get shit for that. People may not like what he says but damn he keeps it real. I am turning into a full fledged stan bruhs.
He worded it weird. He's not in debt we've got tmz speaking with his camp saying that's just how much personal money he's invested in his ventures and he's also said this while papps were blinding him with cameras and asking questions.
Hah, I'm glad I could have a little impact for some of you guys and gals. It really was awesome, 7 and soon to be 8 new albums all in a row. It was kinda surreal. It's crazy, I feel like a part of me has woken up. I need TLOP on my Spotify like now Ye, make it happen.
Welcome to the church of yeezus
Now you gotta find some of his less well known songs (look for the fan made good Friday album. Back during the road to MBDTF release he put out like 20 songs a bunch of weekends that year. It's technically not pirating since he gave them out for free, but I digress) and definitely definitely check out his music videos. A lot of them are awesome.

TheBez

same.. his best no doubt in my mind

this album actually kinda getting me back into hip hop.. what are some cool albums that came out in the past 5 years?

Run the Jewels 1 & 2 by Run the Jewels
Heavy Hearted in Doldrums by Antwon
Big Grams by Big Grams
Because the Internet by Childish Gambino
But You Caint Use My Phone by Erykah Badu (Those of you thirsty for a new Andre 3000 should check this out)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom