• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

So.... after several more listens I'm just wondering exactly WHY people are so incredibly hyped up about for example Fade or even Wolves. I am sorry but Fade is boring as hell to me, I don't even consider that rap. Don't attack me please, we all have different opinions. Wolves, production great, nothing to complain about there. But in terms of lyrics, it really isn't much more than just Kanye repeating the same line over and over again. Again I am going to say that I would have LOVED some actual rapping on this. I am sure people are going to disagree and say this is how it should be, but then this is simply not the Kanye music I want. But it is what it is. Even the version with Sia, she's saying exactly what he says, it would have been dope as hell if there had been a verse between those repeated Lines. This is clearly going to stay my biggest gripe with the album, too few verses. This is why I loved MBDTF so much, it had tons of rapping and was just fantastic all around.

Man no offense but every one of your posts contains complaints that he's not rapping enough. Hes not going to go back to MBDTF levels anytime soon. Better get used to it

Just don't thjnk of it as a rap album

EloquentM

aka Mannny
They said the same thing when 808s came out. I don't understand these complainers. That had a Jeezy verse and everythjng

lol 808s makes sense. twisted fantasy didn't especially with good fridays coming out at the same time and runaway being the only track he didn't rap on at all.

I guess if you take it as a rap album, it won't do much for you. I love rap but at the same I take the album for what it is, not a rap album. I would have loved more verses though.

lmao dead

Yeah I am trying to appreciate it for what it is, but kind of have a hard time doing so.

Man no offense but every one of your posts contains complaints that he's not rapping enough. Hes not going to go back to MBDTF levels anytime soon. Better get used to it

Yup, that much is clear. He really loves that autotune and the rap takes a backseat on this. But even then, in general his presence lacks in several songs. It's just a shame is all, in my opinion. Take All Day for example, dope fucking beat and he raps nicely on it, I dig that. I just wish there was more of a balance on the album of the non rap tracks and you know... more tracks like All Day, Real Friends etc.

Ah well. I'll just accept it. Can't do much else.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
FML, Real Friends and Wolves are the standouts for me. Facts is a great track for bumping in the car, so good.

Best 3 songs of the album, wish the rest of the album was this strong and cohesive.. they all flow into each other well.

Owari

rapping kanye is best kanye. Even if you dig his autotuned alter ego, no one can deny that
i feel like TLOP really combined the two in an amazing way that's why I'm thirsty for more of that new auto tune rap Ye. Some fucking auto tune BARS in TLOP.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
So.... after several more listens I'm just wondering exactly WHY people are so incredibly hyped up about for example Fade or even Wolves. I am sorry but Fade is boring as hell to me, I don't even consider that rap. Don't attack me please, we all have different opinions. Wolves, production great, nothing to complain about there. But in terms of lyrics, it really isn't much more than just Kanye repeating the same line over and over again. Again I am going to say that I would have LOVED some actual rapping on this. I am sure people are going to disagree and say this is how it should be, but then this is simply not the Kanye music I want. But it is what it is. Even the version with Sia, she's saying exactly what he says, it would have been dope as hell if there had been a verse between those repeated Lines. This is clearly going to stay my biggest gripe with the album, too few verses. This is why I loved MBDTF so much, it had tons of rapping and was just fantastic all around.

I can understand where you are coming from. I'll be honest on my first 2 maybe 3 listens I also wanted more bars. Then as I kept listening to the album things changed. I quit thinking about bars. When I did that the production and features took me to a whole notha level.

Most of my favorite parts of the album aren't even Ye. Rihanna covering Nina Simone, the Weeknd on FML, Chris Brown (who I've never been a fan of), and of course Frank all blow me away. Ye has the ability to extract the absolute best out of everyone he touches.

Tbh Ye has never been an amazing lyricist in the way someone like Kendrick is. His true talent has always been production and curating amazing features. Both of those things are on full display with TLOP which make the album incredible.

I can understand where you are coming from. I'll be honest on my first 2 maybe 3 listens I also wanted more bars. Then as I kept listening to the album things changed. I quit thinking about bars. When I did that the production and features took me to a whole notha level.

Most of my favorite parts of the album aren't even Ye. Rihanna covering Nina Simone, the Weeknd on FML, Chris Brown (who I've never been a fan of), and of course Frank all blow me away. Ye has the ability to extract the absolute best out of everyone he touches.

Tbh Ye has never been an amazing lyricist in the way someone like Kendrick is. His true talent has always been production and curating amazing features. Both of those things are on full display with TLOP which make the album incredible.

I should try to approach the album more that way then. The thing is, I definitely dig The Weeknd on here and Rihanna as well. But on too many tracks for my liking we hear autotune again and I feel it's a bit too much of that. I hope I can look past that. I'll have to see for myself after more listens. I'm all for music albums totally growing on me. It has happened with a few albums so far but not a whole lot really.

Kaizer

Banned
Funny enough, as much as I enjoyed G.O.O.D. Fridays back in the day, I actually had quite the mixed feelings on MBDTF when it first released. For me, the album was almost too grandiose & overproduced to be enjoyable.

I think part of the reason I felt that way was that I was in the orchestra for 7 years throughout middle school & high school and had grown so accustomed to string symphonies & very lush musical pieces that they bored me by the time I graduated high school in 2010. So to hear these very lush tracks like "Devil In A New Dress", they just became instant skips for me because I found them very middling & boring.

It definitely took me a good while before I came around on loving MBDTF & seeing it as one of 'Ye's greatest accomplishments. That being said, I love that Kanye always changes up what he does from album to album as I wouldn't want to hear another album that sounds totally like MBDTF.

The production and composition of Lost In The World is still in my Top 3 Kanye productions.

m23

I should try to approach the album more that way then. The thing is, I definitely dig The Weeknd on here and Rihanna as well. But on too many tracks for my liking we hear autotune again and I feel it's a bit too much of that. I hope I can look past that. I'll have to see for myself after more listens. I'm all for music albums totally growing on me. It has happened with a few albums so far but not a whole lot really.

I was like that as well during 808s, I got real sick of the autotune stuff but then I began to like it more and more. It wasn't traditional rap at all which is what I expected from Kanye, it was different, yet it still sounded great after I gave it more of a chance. But honestly, not everyone is going to love this album, just like not everyone loves his previous albums.

Ran rp

Open Ye is the best Ye for sure. He keeps it too real, boy.

I've never seen someone try so hard to see an album as something other than what it is as Tatsumi. It's strange.

Greatest Ye performances IMO:

Coachella 2011
Hey Mama @ The Grammies
Stronger @ The Grammies
Black Skinheads @ SNL
All Day @ The Brit Awards

Missing gold digger at the grammys. Can never go wrong with Jamie Foxx. And that marching band gimmick they had was really entertaining. Ye was really feeling it too on that one

>>>all day imo. Tho the flame throwers were cool at least

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Finally, Kanye will release the official TLOP album. No way he'll let us down again tonight.

553a98434aa21808310057d3.jpg

TheXbox

Can't even muster any enthusiasm for this inevitable disappointment, cause I know it'll take Google a week to get their shit together even if it does come out.

Ran rp

I wouldn't mind a version of the album stripped of most of the rapping and reworked into an instrumental album like Donuts or Endtroducing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom