• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's true. The best songs from that tape did get some spins at parties. It was a still a big letdown after Coke Boys 3 though, which released a couple months before it.

I totally forgot that Coke Boys 4 was a thing. I didn't listen to that one too much, but that's another decent tape and yeah his album had some bangers.

Kyzer

Banned
TLOP has grown on me like crazy, has surpassed college dropout threshold, its officially a classic kanye album everyone it is known

nib95

Banned
TLOP has grown on me like crazy, has surpassed college dropout threshold, its officially a classic kanye album everyone it is known

The funny thing is, you're potentially not even listening to the final thing. It's currently being patched causing a last minute delay lol.

Father pt 1 and 2 are really growing on me, bleach and all.

It felt like a weird set of half thoughts mashed together. But god damn I just want to feel liberated.

NeoROCK

Kanye is overrated these days. He's never been a great rapper. His greatest strength was his production and it's fallen off lately.

Catvoca

Banned
Kanye is overrated these days. He's never been a great rapper. His greatest strength was his production and it's fallen off lately.

This is such a completely terrible, garbage, drive-by post but it isn't even in the top ten L's posted in this thread in the last few days.

I've missed this thread too. Kanye, get on twitter so we have shit to talk about!

9ZiEn9w.jpg

Oh you...

yyzjohn

Banned
As someone who was never into Kanye, only really knew his song Gold digger, I really was impressed by Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. After that though, Yeezus and now his new disc I just find forgettable.

Mortemis

Banned
And seems to have changed it back? At least that's what it's showing on mine. It was definitely Siiiiiiiiiiillver Suurrffffeeeer Intermission yesterday.

That's weird. It's still called Siiiiiiiiiiillver Suurrffffeeeer intermission on tidal for me and on the credits page.

Why is Tidal such a garbage app? Does it always have problems with playback order? (Is anyone using Tidal for anything else except TLOP?)

I can't use shuffle because it stops after Fade whether it's the 3rd song or the last song. Then when I try to set it back to normal play it shuffles it anyway. Argh.

Edit: Top of the page, that's an L

giphy.gif

Why is Tidal such a garbage app? Does it always have problems with playback order? (Is anyone using Tidal for anything else except TLOP?)

I can't use shuffle because it stops after Fade whether it's the 3rd song or the last song. Then when I try to set it back to normal play it shuffles it anyway. Argh.

Edit: Top of the page, that's an L

giphy.gif

You need to set the album to repeat in the settings if youre on your phone.
On desktop, just hit the repeat button

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
There aren't enough L gif's out there they are starting to get repetitive.
I found a couple more I haven't seen yet to keep things fresh.

JINg6I3.gif

wUUJszo.gif

Hip Hop

LMAO. And when he tweeted that the album was done, it was nowhere near done.

Longtime Kanye West Collaborator Andrew Dawson Outlines the Frantic Final Weeks of 'The Life of Pablo'
http://www.billboard.com/articles/c...gineer-andrew-dawson-kanye-west-life-of-pablo

Somewhere around 4 a.m. in the quiet hours of an early January morning, Andrew Dawson's phone started ringing. When the longtime producer and recording engineer answered, Kanye West was on the line asking Dawson to come to West's home studio in Calabasas, Calif. to work on his forthcoming seventh solo album. Dawson didn't even wait until daybreak. "I went out and started working on the record every day with him since then," he says over the phone from his Los Angeles recording studio. "Answer those 4 a.m. calls, everybody."

What was the past week like for you?

Even though we initially decided to do the shift thing, all of us were pretty much at the studio 24 hours a day. [Laughs] I'd maybe go home and sleep for four hours, so doing the 12-hour work shift didn't really happen these last two, three weeks. And it was pretty intense to be honest with you. When Chance came in and wanted "Waves" to be on the record that last night, it was intense just finishing it up and getting everything done and polished the way it needed to be. The added songs on the track listing were cool, too; I was like, "Cool, let's give the fans more." I was actually kind of happy to see that more stuff was getting released rather than less, because it was all songs that we had been working on.

So how did it feel to finally wash your hands of the whole thing and be like, "Well, it's gone now"?

Well, especially because the day we finished [Sunday Feb. 14] I flew back out to L.A. and got out of the three degree weather, it was nice; I just sat at home on my back patio and listened to the birds and watched the wind and didn't do anything for about two hours. So it was like a decompression moment. For me, as far as listening to the album, it takes me some time for me to be able to appreciate or judge work that I've done because I'm so close to it and trying to deliver the best possible thing that I can do that I have to sort of sit back and wait a few months to approach it with fresh ears. Maybe later this spring I'll be able to be out and listen to it and reflect on it a little bit more. But right now I'm just kind of breathing again. [Laughs]​

Catvoca

Banned
It looks like the creative process was just as messy as we thought it was. Interesting that Andrew Dawson considers the album out and he's done with it.

Servbot24

Banned
1. Street Lights
2. Gone
3. Devil in a New Dress
4. We Major
5. Blood on the Leaves
6. Ultralight Beam
7. Say You Will
8. Slow Jamz
9. Hold My Liquor
10. Spaceship
11. Heard 'Em Say
12. New Slaves
13. Touch the Sky
14. Everything I Am
15. The Joy
16. I'm In It
17. Coldest Winter
18. Addiction
19. Good Morning
20. Welcome to Heartbreak
21. Late
22. I Wonder
23. Through the Wire
24. Lost in the World
25. Flashing Lights

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Oh no. Do we have a new mutation of the 'Kanye Cycle' now?

It must be contained before it spreads!

I can't get over how good that underlying bassline that's present throughout most of "Fade" is. Rap Genius says they pretty much just took it from some old Chicago house track, "Mystery of Love (Club Mix)," and altered it slightly.

Draper

Any further collaborations with Fergie would challenge the number 1 spot.

I think Ferg and Ye should do a Watch the Throne kinda mashup.

Catvoca

Banned
Alright,the definitive top 25 songs. This list would probably change completely if you asked me tomorrow, it is truly an impossible task but I've given it a go anyway.Just know that every song that I omitted I clearly think is garbage
/s
. Feel free to get annoyed at my omissions/rankings.

1.Street Lights
2.Runaway
3.Heard em' Say
4.Ultralight Beam
5.Gorgeous
6.On Sight
7.Lost in a World
8.All Falls Down
9.We Can Make It Better
10.Devil in a New Dress
11.Say You Will
12.Only One