• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

FZZ

Banned
d55d3ea676d0fe8b2305749647ccc210.png

I love Travis

nib95

Banned
Maybe, but we can only judge TLOP as a standalone phrase, and as a standalone phrase TPAB is worse

I doubt it. Doesn't take a genius to figure out where Kanye's going with this one, hell he's already used it in its intended context in at least one of his tracks. Kendrick Lamar's butterfly analogy is far more creative and nuanced.

gdt

As not a super big hip hop fan, more of a Kanye fan.

And as only having listened to MDBTF and Yeezus, Yeezus is the one that's dope as fuck for me. I like the former just fine, some great tracks on it. The other rappers bore the shit out of me with the constant features, some of the production is a little ehh for me too. Im mostly a dance music fan and Yeezus def brought that vibe. Plus it's like the perfect length.

But Im coming from a different place than a actual hip hop fan I guess.

Was pretty worried about this album, but I actually like all the new changes. I dig the new title. I like that NMPILA is no longer on the album as it's totally not an album track, and I dig the snippet of Feedback that I just heard.

Bring on tomorrow!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
La Flame x Kanye is such a winning combo, except for Piss On Your Grave (beat is still dope AF tho).

Besides being the muse for Yeezus as a whole (and Ye entrusting Travis with that sound going forwards), I Am A God, Guilt Trip and Sin City are among the best productions in Ye's career.

Rodeo is fucking great. If TLOP is half as good as that album I'll be happy.
Yeah Rodeo is a fantastically well-rounded album.

EDIT: This is actually a pretty dope theory. Picasso would be the bright artist, and Escobar would be the social deviant.

chaislip3

I actually like Rodeo a decent amount. The songs without features don't really do anything for me, but there are some pretty great songs on there.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Rodeo is fucking great. If TLOP is half as good as that album I'll be happy.

La Flame x Kanye is such a winning combo, except for Piss On Your Grave (beat is still dope AF tho).

Besides being the muse for Yeezus as a whole (and Ye entrusting Travis with that sound going forwards), I Am A God, Guilt Trip and Sin City are among the best productions in Ye's career.

Yeah Rodeo is a fantastically well-rounded album.

Bless up

Courage

As not a super big hip hop fan, more of a Kanye fan.

And as only having listened to MDBTF and Yeezus, Yeezus is the one that's dope as fuck for me. I like the former just fine, some great tracks on it. The other rappers bore the shit out of me with the constant features, some of the production is a little ehh for me too. Im mostly a dance music fan and Yeezus def brought that vibe. Plus it's like the perfect length.

But Im coming from a different place than a actual hip hop fan I guess.

You'll really like Fade.

nib95

Banned
My favorite album last year and even I agree it's a garbage title. Never understood why he went with that.

The butterfly represents celebrity status, growth, success and artists such as Kendrick at this stage of their careers, and the pimping is referring to how the industry treats and/or exploits, or tries to exploit them. Obviously Kendrick's goal being to use his status to do more good, and to try and break from the mould.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Rodeo is fucking great, but I can see where more old school hip hop fans don't take to it.

Eh. I love the original songs they are sampled from. I just get a little weary of those classic samples being misused. But I think Kanye will work it.

Hopefully someone else doesn't shit all over it.

I feel ya on that last part. That's exactly what I am afraid of for two songs. Even though it's not confirmed, the guy that is said to be featured is absolute garbage in my book and I cant stand to listen to that dude's voice. Let's just hope he proves me wrong with an actual verse or just not being incredibly annoying and terrible.

burgervan

I'm really glad NMPILA is no longer on the album. There's nothing wrong with it and it has one of Ye's best verses in years, but it felt like a throwaway in every other sense. Even Kendrick couldn't elevate it.

pablito

The name's not that bad. None of them are. SHMG is best though.

TPAB is great in context, but the words themselves are kinda eh.

breakfuss

The butterfly represents celebrity status, growth, success and artists such as Kendrick at this stage of their careers, and the pimping is referring to how the industry treats and/or exploits, or tries to exploit them. Obviously Kendrick's goal being to use his status to do more good, and to try and break from the mould.

That's cool and all but it just feels corny/forced and does a disservice to how brilliant the album is. I always assumed it was just an unclever spin on To Kill a Mockingbird. Much prefer the rumored How Much a Dollar Cost.

What's the last verse that Jay's delivered that wasn't straight trash?

Cake
Cake
Cake
Cake
Cake
Cake

Had not heard much of this Travis Scott yet, so I decided to check some out real quick. "oh lord.... Autotune? Really?!" was my first reaction. Never been a huge autotune fan, neither a hater because I really enjoyed 808s, but come on now. Wouldn't surprise if the whole track is in autotune. I'm definitely not changing my expectations of the album, because that's definitely for the better. Several things that could easily ruin the whole thing for me, we'll see.

213372bu

Banned
Just came back to my laptop and I see NMPLA off the track list and the new name is "The Life of Pablo"?

:\

Time to solely call it "TLOP"
unless it goes back to another name between today and tomorrow.

chaislip3

So we actually have no idea how or when the album will be available tomorrow yet do we? (besides the Tidal event)

Fonzworth Bentley, who's worked pretty closely with Kanye on this album, said that it'll be available after the premiere. Now, who knows if it's right after it ends or later that night, but it's pretty much confirmed to not drop before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom