• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Karl Urban to star in JJ Abrams' new buddy comedy show about robot cops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: May 13/2013 - Trailer's out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WCdHiZsSPjg

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/karl-urban-jj-abrams-wyman-human-fox-427427

It's a Star Trek reunion for Karl Urban and J.J. Abrams.

Urban -- aka Star Trek's Bones -- is heading to the small screen, landing the starring role in Fox's high-concept cop drama from Abrams and J.H. Wyman, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The drama, which is now going by the title Human, is described as an action-packed buddy-cop show set in the near future, when all LAPD officers are partnered with highly evolved humanlike androids.

Urban will take on the leading role of John Kennex, a respected police officer who has shut down emotionally after a tragic mission that claimed the lives of nine of his fellow elite officers and left him critically injured.

Should Human move beyond the pilot stage, the role would mark Urban's first series-regular role on U.S. television, following roles on U.K. dramas Riding High and Amazon High. He joins a cast that includes Common Law's Michael Ealy as Kennex's android partner Dorian; Lili Taylor as the police captain; and co-stars Minka Kelly (Friday Night Lights), Mackenzie Crook and Michael Irby.

Fringe's Wyman will pen the script and executive produce the Warner Bros. Television and Bad Robot Productions drama alongside Abrams and Bryan Burk, with Kathy Lingg and Reid Shane on board as co-EPs. Brad Anderson will direct and co-exec produce the pilot.

The casting reunites Urban with Abrams, with whom he worked on 2009's Star Trek and its upcoming Star Trek Into Darkness sequel. Urban's credits also include The Bourne Supremacy, Chronicles of Riddick, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and its sequel The Return of the King. He next appears in Riddick, which is due in September. Urban is repped by CAA, Principato-Young and McKuin Frankel.

tumblr_mfq0biyTFK1qgb7q2o1_500.gif

JJ Abrams and Karl Urban? Buddy cop action series? Robot cops?

I'm in, yo. Let's hope this show is more Person of Interest and less Alcatraz, k JJ.

Edit: I wrote buddy comedy. That's not what I meant to write. Oh well.

John Kennex, a respected police officer who has shut down emotionally

And theres our show. I just saw it all in my head. The android teaches John how to love again. The robot has more humanity than a human. Fade to black.

nomis

Great. From the visionary orchestrator of Fringe's fourth and fifth seasons, and modern classic thriller Dead Man Down.

Clevinger

awesome

this is like a weird little "unexpected awesome news day"

edit: Wait, Wyman is doing this too? Even more awesome!

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
The tagline has to be "Fighting Crime in a Future Time."

what about...

"They're fightin' crime, while dealin' rhymes."

because if they could also include some song and dance to this, the show would be a genuine A+.

gdt

This is pretty much Asimov's The Robot series.

Elijah Bailey and R Daneel Olivaw I love youuuuuuuuu.

mm04

Yes! I've been waiting for more information about this. I'm a fan of Karl Urban. The "comedy show" in the thread title threw me for a loop, though.

Wow, I had no idea he was Eomer. I'm looking at pictures and I can't tell. Maybe I haven't seen him enough, I can only picture Bones.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Quite the coup for NZ acting talent. First NZer Antony Starr gets his own series as the star of Banshee, now Karl Urban has a shot too.

Now, if only Flight of the Conchords would see another season...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom