• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Karl Urban to star in JJ Abrams' new buddy comedy show about robot cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiktor

I just hope they will put enough focus on bigger arcs. Person of Interest showed how to do procedural and yet have great serialized storylines.
Or hell..get inspired by Stand Alone Complex.

Burger

Close enough to now that they can film in warehouses, forests, back alleys etc but far enough from now to have some future things (like robots that could clearly pass a Turing test and trick a human lol)

Add a few tall buildings to a skyline, with a flying car or two and voila! Future!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
At first I thought this topic was about a Robocop movie made by JJ Abrams starring Karl Urban. That would have been one weird flick.

Dead Man

Not feeling the premise. Genuine AI is switched off and used as a last resort to replace drone intelligence units? And the budget for new robot pals has run out after them being all over the city? Bah. I know they will try and explain it, but it feels pretty thin at the moment.

Edit: The two leads look like they'll be able to carry it though.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Wait a minute. How is it this thread is 3 pages and not one of you has mentioned the obvious? The main characters are named John and Dorian.

Have none of you ever watched Scrubs?

I'll watch it. I like Karl Urban and it looks interesting.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Wait a minute. How is it this thread is 3 pages and not one of you has mentioned the obvious? The main characters are named John and Dorian.

Have none of you ever watched Scrubs?

I'll watch it. I like Karl Urban and it looks interesting.
You know, I did catch that, but then I got distracted by other things and forgot to mention it.

HYLSHUp.png

This is so absurdly bad... and the confidence of that last panel... I'm in awe.

Wiktor

Not feeling the premise. Genuine AI is switched off and used as a last resort to replace drone intelligence units? And the budget for new robot pals has run out after them being all over the city? Bah. I know they will try and explain it, but it feels pretty thin at the moment.

Edit: The two leads look like they'll be able to carry it though.

There's enough explanation for both those things in the trailer.

They mention those human AIs were acting crazy and let's be honest - majority of people would rather work with drone that with robot who truly acts human.

And the budget part - it's obvious his boss manipulated the whole situation to saddle him with human AI since it was the only one that would suit him.

Dead Man

There's enough explanation for both those things in the trailer.

They mention those human AIs were acting crazy and let's be honest - majority of people would rather work with drone that with robot who truly acts human.

And the budget part - it's obvious his boss manipulated the whole situation to saddle him with human AI since it was the only one that would suit him.

If they are crazy enough to retire, they would not be able to reactivate them at a chiefs whim. Bah, I know it's just a movie.

io9 saw the pilot and gives it's thoughts:

http://io9.com/which-new-show-will-rock-your-tv-set-first-impressions-828600560

Almost Human (Fox, Fall):

What's it about: This is a show with impeccable scifi credentials: It's an original concept from Fringe producer J.H. Wyman, teamed with JJ Abrams, and starring the always-awesome Karl Urban (Judge Dredd). And the pilot sets up a nice blend of gritty cop show and Fringe-ish science crime in a not-too-distant future. John (Urban) is a cop who has been tracking a violent and mysterious crime syndicate whose members are more interested in jacking programmable DNA than cash. But when his team is ambushed, his partner dies and he loses a leg.

Cut to almost two years later, and a tough but traumatized John is recovering from a long coma and trying to reintegrate back into a police force that has changed a lot since he winked out. Every human officer must have a robot partner. Except John hates the emotionless, rule-worshiping cop robots so much that he can't even integrate his cybernetic leg properly with his body most of the time. Enter Dorian (played with a lovable smirk by Michael Ealy), a special emotional robot who was decommissioned years ago for "breaking" in tense situations just like a human would.

The two make a great pair, as two emotionally volatile cops who have just returned to work after a period of "decommissioning." Lili Taylor plays the sympathetic police chief, who doesn't trust anyone but John (and now, Dorian) to stay on the syndicate's trail. As the action ramps up in the pilot, John and Dorian have to learn to work together to deal with a new round of creepy DNA-based attacks from the syndicate.

First thoughts: These may be stock characters in familiar crime show situations, but Almost Human brings on enough science-fictional weirdness that the show feels fresh and interesting. The chemistry between Urban and Ealy is terrific, with just the right amount of wry humor and genuine pathos. And we are immediately plunged into a mystery about the syndicate that's pleasingly weird (what are they doing with those futuristic chemicals and DNA?) and packed with conspiracy potential (did somebody on the force feed the syndicate intel so they could ambush John's team?). Plus, I just love the posthumanity of it all, with an emotional robot working with an emotionally shut-down cop whose body is partly cybernetic. This could be your futuristic action obsession for the fall season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom